From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2040
Date: Friday, May 28, 2004 8:47 PM

1. RE: thermo switches
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

2. Re: steering rack
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. Re: thermo switches
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

4. Re: The PRV-6 to Northstar Transfer
From: "Hank" <henry_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>

5. Re: Top 3 or 4 things to check when car won't start
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

6. RE: getting 10440 running in Tucson
From: "Lauren" <LPLand_at_dml_earthlink.net>

7. Re: Facia Reinforcement adhesive
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

8. Get going problems
From: "Kramer" <jettaman95_at_dml_yahoo.com>

9. Re: Facia Reinforcement adhesive
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

10. Re: Steering Rack Xref? (Power Assist)
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

11. Re: DCS Hotel rooms
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

12. RE: DCS Hotel rooms
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

13. Re: Car Show Pigeon Forge Update
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

14. Re: Top 3 or 4 things to check when car won't start
From: H Currier <h_currier_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 20:56:05 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: thermo switches

They don't have anything to do with the cooling cutting on and off.

From: funkstuf [mailto:funkstuf_at_dml_hotmail.com]
Subject: [DML] thermo switches

My cooling system switches on intermittently.
I'm wondering if the thermovac swtich part no 102405 and/or the
thermo time switch part no 102125 could effect this?

Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 18:58:37 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: steering rack

When did I say that?  Please don't misquote me on a
public forum where someone will be reading the
archives 40 years from now and blame me for something
I did not say!  :)

My last message said:

"What do you know about the replacement rack?  Was it
*NEW* or rebuilt?  If rebuilt, by who?"

http://messenger.yahoo.com/

Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 03:27:51 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

I would guess you haven't uprated your circuit breaker for the cooling
fans. That could be why it is cutting in and out. Another possability
is a burnt connection.

Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 22:05:32 -0400
From: "Hank" <henry_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: The PRV-6 to Northstar Transfer

I spoke with the Northstar-V8 conversion folks at the Memphis show, and they said that the conversion added only about 90 pounds over the PRV (It could have been even less, but that's the number I remember).   Certainly not enough extra weight to negate the added HP.  Several people at the show got a ride in it as well (I was not one of them), and they all said it was incredible/awesome/fast, etc.

And everyone has an opinion and here's mine:  I didn't by my Delorean to "toast most any car off the line".  I'm perfectly happy with my peppy PRV - I don't feel the need to compete with any other car or person on the road.

And it's simply not a "black and white" or "purists versus modders" issue - there are many shades of gray in there as well.  I'm no "purist", but I am keeping my car stock so it maintains it's value if/when it comes time to sell it.

>If you want to use this car as a CAR then do what you need to.

I do use my car as a CAR, and I happy the way it is, as I'm sure most DML members are with theirs.  Please don't put us down just because you have a different opinion.

If you want to mod your car to suit your needs, that's fine and you'll have no argument or judgment from me, but don't lump everyone else into the velvet rope/purist camp just because we're not engine swappers.

-Hank

Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 03:35:34 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Top 3 or 4 things to check when car won't start

If it won't start when hot the first thing that comes to mind is the
fuel accumulater. Do the plug swap thing and if it works then that's
probably the culprit. Another possability is a dirty connection in the
ignition circuit or maybe a bad ignition coil. Don Steiger created a
troubleshooting guide a long time ago. Try to get your hands on it.
When a motor cranks but doesn't start the first thing you need to do
is figure out if it has spark and fuel. Generally a motor won't start
because one or the other is missing. Once you can figure out which is
missing you try to narrow down the reasons. On a Delorean there are
some common ones so you go there first. Make sure the fuel pump is
running for instance. More rare but common enough to happen is a bad
pick-up coil in the distributer.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, billsfanmd_at_dml_a... wrote:
> Every once in a while my car likes to remind me that it is a
Delorean. A few days ago in the school parking lot in front of about
15 students it

Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 20:35:10 -0700
From: "Lauren" <LPLand_at_dml_earthlink.net>
Subject: RE: getting 10440 running in Tucson

John -

As Dick Ryan pointed out, there are several vendors, of course.  I
haven't had the pleasure yet of being in touch with Rob Grady or
DMC Houston or any of the others and I look forward to "meeting"
them  as the saga of  *10440 Rides Again* continues.

But, as Video Bob pointed out in another email today, it is your style
to be so tremendously helpful.  I really appreciated your nearly two-
hour telephone teaching/troubleshooting session and all your advice
and information and I'd like to thank you publicly for it.

......................LP
10440 resting in Tucson

Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 09:31:51 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Facia Reinforcement adhesive

I know from personal experience that Loctite 406 ("for plastics and
rubber") sticks the fascia like a demon. I repaired mine with it, and
glued my front grill back together after it fell off and the end broke
off (hit a small deer). It's still holding.

Martin

Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 12:38:02 -0000
From: "Kramer" <jettaman95_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Get going problems

Dear List,
  Recently I have been having the problem of getting the car mving
when I first start up. It idles just fine but when I want to start
moving the car coughs and spits. Pretty much making me wait until I
hit normal operating tempature. Then it drives fine.
  I think it might be a vacuum leak or something. What tests can I
run to check what is going on or does anyone out there know what it
causing it?

   Thanks again,
      Kramer
      ~10610

Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 14:43:56 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

The 3M Window-Weld Urethane. The right stuff will say "isocyanate"
somewhere on the label. The same active ingredient as POR15 and Krazy
Glue.

It's about $12 for a caulking gun tube-full, more than you'll ever
need but the only way I've ever seen it sold. Wear gloves, it won't
come off your hands for about a week.

dave S

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "cliff_schmucker" <cliff_at_dml_d...> wrote:
> In the DMC-News Technical Information Library under the frame/body
> section there is a link on "Straightening and Refinishing Bent
> Facia":
> http://dmcnews.com/Techsection/fascia.htm
>
> in it there is a recomendation for adhesive: "3M Windshield (i.e.
> glass) adhesive. This is the ONLY adhesive that will work"
>
> my question is: is this 3M 08609 "Windo-Weld Super Fast Urethane",
3M

Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 07:53:48 -0500
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>
Subject: Re: Steering Rack Xref? (Power Assist)

Bill,

I was at a car show last week,  This guy had added PS to his 58 Olds 88.
 The power steering pump was a new aftermarket unit.  What was special
about it was its size..  The PS pump was only about 3 inches in diameter
and about 3 inches long!!!   Really tiny!!

THe owner did not know where the PS came from, since he bought the car
they way it was.

This PS pump would easily fit the space in the D engine bay.

BOB

Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 01:11:41 EDT
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: DCS Hotel rooms

Murry, Its a shame you cannot come
this year, you may have some competition

Well good luck and we hope to see you again

Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 08:32:35 -0700 (PDT)
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Now let's see . . . Murray (age 83) isn't going.  Les
Huckins (80) isn't going. . . Could a youngster like
me (71) become the oldest to drive to the show in his
D???

Dick Ryan
VIN 16867

--- Murray Fisher <murrayfw_at_dml_charter.net> wrote:
> Hi Ken,

> 	Hope the room you got was the one WE cancelled
> out!!  We just cancelled it and will not be going, sorry to say.
  We will be thinking of you and the gang and looking

Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 01:12:38 EDT
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Car Show Pigeon Forge Update

In a message dated 5/27/2004 6:44:49 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com writes:
Just a thought about the BTTF cars.  I am sure you are going to put them
in a special area indoor.    If that area is darker (or can be made
darker)  it would be great to have the neon lights and other things
light up on these cars.  We would need electricity thought to power the
battery charger

Bob, We have power and light control and drapes as a suround if needed

Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 21:58:09 -0700 (PDT)
From: H Currier <h_currier_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3 things to check when car won't start:
1) starter cranks the engine (battery & starter),
2) spark plug spark  (electrical system),
3) and fuel in the engine cylinder (fuel system).