From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2045
Date: Monday, May 31, 2004 8:11 PM

1. Re: Water pump pulley came off on its own
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

2. Re: TV alert
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

3. Re: Hood emblem what year?
From: "ronin5030" <yahoo_at_dml_oneskydojo.com>

4. Re: my car wants me to hate it
From: AJL521_at_dml_aol.com

5. third brake light
From: "Hank" <henry_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>

6. Re: A/C Question
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

7. RE: Re: Hood emblem what year?
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. Engine help??
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>

9. Re: TV alert
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

10. Re: A/C Question
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

11. return to the upper midwest from PF
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

12. Re: Hood emblem what year?
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

13. Ignition lock problem
From: Christopher Mack <christopher_mack_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. Re: A/C Question
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

15. RE: Water pump pulley came off on its own
From: "PJ Grady" <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>

16. Re: Water pump pulley came off on its own
From: "checksix3" <jetjock11_at_dml_hotmail.com>

17. PF Caravan - Northern IL
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

18. DeLorean - celebrity owned
From: "Marvin" <marv_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com>

19. Suspention + Brakes
From: nicholden_at_dml_yahoo.com

20. Re: Water pump pulley came off on its own
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

21. Re: A/C Question
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

22. NEW Videos on DFWDMC
From: "Robert Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

23. Re: A/C Question
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

24. Re: TV alert
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

25. Re: Fw: End of an era - DeTomaso Modena
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 15:43:56 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Water pump pulley came off on its own

You can press on the pulley with an M10 bolt, a nut, a couple of washers
and lots of grease. You can leave the bolt threaded in the end of the
shaft if you're worried about it coming off again. I take it the shaft
is one of the longer types? (like from John H - they have the keyway)
Has the shaft been cut off flush with the end of the pulley, or was it
left sticking out?

Martin

Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 14:52:39 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Re: TV alert

Looks like it'll just be an airing of this film for sale over at
http://deloreanmovie.com/
If you get the chance to see it, I would *highly* reccomend it. It's
a great documentary, with some good historical footage. After seeing
it, I really came away with a different viewpoint about JZD. He
wasn't as disillusioned with the company as many have written.
Instead, you can see a businessman with a cool, calm demeanor. Good
example of a decent business team that he put together for
brainstorming, but incompetent when it comes to tough business
negotiations.

Durring one of the last scenes in the movie (where they are trying to
determine fascia paint colours), there is a car in the background
with a beautiful set of WolfRace Slot wheels. If anyone knows where I
could get a mismatched set of these for the DeLorean, and for how
much, I'd be VERY greatful! :D So far, it looks like I'd have to
import a set from the UK..

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Andrew <aos+yahoo_at_dml_b...> wrote:
> TiVo reports that Trio will be showing a documentary
called "Delorean" on

http://www.triotv.com/flops/delorean/index.html .

Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 15:09:23 -0000
From: "ronin5030" <yahoo_at_dml_oneskydojo.com>
Subject: Re: Hood emblem what year?

No flared exhaust pipes on #17084. I also do not have any French
stickers anywhere. The PO kept the car exactly as he bought it in Feb
of '83. One interesting thing though - I took off the front right
side marker lens and on the fiberglass inside I could see the number
9503. I am wondering if that was the original vin # which was changed
when the Metric instrument cluster was installed.

I will be at Pigeon Forge if anyone wants to take a look.

Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 10:58:50 EDT
From: AJL521_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: my car wants me to hate it

I had the same thing happen on my motor mount about 2 years ago.  Thankfully
I was able to save the pieces and bring them, along with the motor, to a
welding shop.  Thankfully I already had the motor out of the car, and I dont know
how you would be able to weld it back on without taking the motor out.  The
best advice that I could give is to keep all the pieces, and take it to a
professional.

Best of luck,
Andrew

Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 11:09:56 -0400
From: "Hank" <henry_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>
Subject: third brake light

Getting ready for PF...

I'm going to install an LED light bar today as my third-brake/collision avoidance light.  What is the best (and/or easiest) place to wire this into the system?

Thanks,
-Hank

Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 11:40:45 -0400
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>
Subject: Re: A/C Question

This may be normal if;
1 the car is running at idle
2 the fan is at #4 high speed
3 Temperature control set to full cold

try turning the fan to the #1 speed setting.
and / or
increase the engine speed

Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 08:43:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Hood emblem what year?

Not a 17000, but very close - - when I took delivery
of 16867 from Rob Grady it had the "correct" flared
tips.

Dick Ryan

Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 15:50:35 -0000
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Engine help??

Are all the PRV engines in the deloreans so "Chatty" it seems to me
that the upper half of the engine is rather noisy what could that be
attributed to anyway? The car is flawless and Dead Mint with 300
miles on it recently completely overhauled by PJ Grady after being
in hibernation since 81. It sounds like the valvetrain is a little
on the tempermental side, is this true with these engines? Other
than that its as smooth as can be.

Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 15:49:20 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

As a courtesy to Dan McGauley (http://deloreanmovie.com), I'll have
originals of the tape for sale at Pigeon Forge. It will be located at
the D-Rex/GT40 exhibit. (Dan bought the reporduction rights to the
movie and has been selling fantastic direct-from-original-master
tapes for some time now.)

Dave Swingle

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Andrew <aos+yahoo_at_dml_b...> wrote:
> Replying to myself...
>
> I see that the aforementioned movie is actually the
Hegedus/Pennebaker

Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 16:12:29 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Your system is undercharged. Get the full 34-36 oz in. I hope you have
the correct charge of oil in. If the service valve leaks get a metal
cap or change the core. You will probably have to adjust the cycling
switch on the accumulater to get it to cycle. If the dryer was not new
and sealed you should have pulled a harder vacuum for a longer time.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Dave Stragand" <dave.stragand_at_dml_f...>

Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 12:22:15 EDT
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: return to the upper midwest from PF

List,

I am wondering if anyone has any interesting plans coming home from Pigeon
Forge.  I am in Fargo, ND and am looking for other cars to come home this way
with..

anyone leaving Sunday and heading towards IL, WI, IA, MO, MN, MT? even the
upper northwest?

I would like to travel in a group of at least another car and plan hotel
reservations.

Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 16:06:33 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Mark and I have a running debate over this issue. There has to be an
authority to decide these issues and if the individual owners or the
clubs will not stand up and make decisions over these questions than
at least DMC Houston is willing to. They have the de facto right IMHO
as they have the most origional documentation. If any group wants to
hold their own concours than THEY (that group) can make up their own
rules. Something like the emblem can be too easily added to any car so
it by itself cannot tell you what year the car is. I rarely see it on
a grooved hood but I am sure there are a few. Too many of the features
that distinguish the early cars from the late cars can be added or
changed. I am sure that the QAC centers did some of it and the 83's
are an example of the "mash-up" of all the features. It is really
tough to decide EXACTLY what is correct for the 83's. If you have what
you believe to be an origional, undisturbed car than argue for changes
in the rules with Houston or change it to their rules, or take your
penalty. Without some kind of benchmark it would be impossible to do a
concours so some compromises will be made. If you are not the 1st
owner there is no way you can say the car was not modified, you just
don't know. Even then since all the cars went through the QAC centers
they could have done something and then even the 1st owner wouldn't
know. Some standards must be set and in some cases they may seem
arbitrary. All owners have a stake in this so if you have an opinion
either let Houston know or post it on the DML. If it is just a
friendly debate between me and Mark than I guess it isn't that
important to anyone else and Houston will have the final say. They may
not be 100% accurate but it is the best we have till others give their
input.

Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 09:39:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: Christopher Mack <christopher_mack_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Ignition lock problem

Hello list,

Saturday I was having problems getting my key into the
ignition and yesterday I noticed after I put the key
into the ignition lock the lock went into the steering
column about 3-4 millimeters.  Has anyone had this
problem before and if so is it an easy fix?  Please
let me know

Thanks in adavance

Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 12:34:52 EDT
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

In a message dated 5/31/04 9:28:50 AM Central Daylight Time,
dave.stragand_at_dml_forwardlook.net writes:

<< I did have a problem where the back of the high-pressure cutoff switch came
 off while I was mounting the high side hose, but it snapped back on without
 a problem.  The compressor, accumulator, expansion tube and low-pressure
 switch are all new.  Does anyone have any other suggestions as to why the
 compressor will not shut off?   >>

Dave,

My car did the exact same thing last month.  I had the system evacuated,
vacuumed, and recharged.  turned out the system had barely enough freon in it to
operate.  Now it works like a charm.  Take note that I am retrofit for 134A
however (which blows really damn cold - it MIGHT be a touch warmer than R12 but
it's enough to freeze your hands off!!!).  I have a couple of O-rings to
replace still, which is why my level was down.

Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 13:34:24 -0400
From: "PJ Grady" <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>

Hi Ken,

I have heard of pulleys loosening after being transferred to a new pump. I
do not recommend re-using an aluminum pulley and even the original steel
pulleys can experience this problem. It's best to always replace the pump
and pulley together especially if you can have it pressed together by some
one who is familiar with the correct procedure. As with most things there is
both a right and wrong way to do it. There isn't a bolt-on pulley for this
style of pump, unless I'm mistaken, however if the pump appears to be new
you could probably press a new pulley onto it if the shaft is in good shape.

Rob Grady

Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 18:43:10 -0000
From: "checksix3" <jetjock11_at_dml_hotmail.com>

You can't use a bolt on pulley, it needs a different pump.
You have several options, all of which involve removing the pump.

If the pulley is worn you can rebush it and re-press and then pin it
at right angles to the key. It'll give you many years of service if
done right and will prevent you from having to toss a pump with low
time in service.

Buy a new pump with a bolt on pulley. The only thing this gets you is
less hassle down the road when it comes time to replace it again.

Buy a new pump with a new pressed on pulley.

No matter what you do, be advised that with the pulley backed off
you're going to destroy the rear of your pump. The instructions on wa
well known tech note state the pulley must be pressed to a specific
dimension on the shaft and no more.

This is incorrect. The pulley must be pressed all the way until it
seats against the bearing race and preloads the shaft seal, the
dimension just happens to be what the author of the tech note found
when he measured the old pump. There is a reason for that dimension,
it's all the way down. In other words you need to press it until you
can't go any further.

This is because the rear of the pulley is used to preload the ceramic
face seal in the pump. If the pulley backs away from the outer
bearing race the the shaft will drift to the rear causing the seal to
unseat and allowing the impeller to contact the rear pump housing.
Ignore the specified dimension in the tech note and press the pulley
all the way and leave the rear housing off to check for zero fore and
aft movement of the shaft when done. The specified dimension should
come out the same but don't rely on it as a stopping point.

Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 17:04:52 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: PF Caravan - Northern IL

This will be the liesurely group - Leaving Northern IL Wednesday June
16 mid-morning, spending the night just south of Cincinnati (Florence
KY), and getting to PF Thursday afternoon. So far we have about 6
cars including the Raffle car in this group. Contact me if you want
to meet up somewhere or even join us at the mid-point Wednesday
evening. There are at least 1-2 joining the group at my home from
further away.

Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 14:09:43 -0400
From: "Marvin" <marv_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com>
Subject: DeLorean - celebrity owned

Did no one else see Gary Busey get into his DeLorean at the end of one of his reality shows, and drive off??
I did not see the whole show, just caught the end while flipping channels. He was fooling around with some remote controlled robots on a parking lot. Nice looking stock DeLorean, with pull straps.

Marv.
# 17077
marv_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com

Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 20:40:13 -0000
From: nicholden_at_dml_yahoo.com
Subject: Suspention + Brakes

Hi,
I have all my suspention removed at the moment and am having it sand
blasted and re-coated as it was all rusty. Does anyone know if the
suspention was purely Delorean or can i sorce new bushes from
another car that used the same type of suspention?... (I live in
Australia so would have to get all parts from a Vendor sent over)
Also the same question as to brake calipers and master cyclinder as
i have some funny looking crystalisation (hope thats how you spell
it!) taking place were the barke fluid used to be.

Marty, thanks for the info on the steering rack. I found an engineer
that will remove the worm gear housing off the original rack and
make/mill me another one in the reverse hand, so will have to see
how that turns out!

Thanks in Advance

Nick 10927

Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 21:13:53 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

I have not seen one of Grady's pumps but this surprises me. The
pulley should be a tight compression fit. Is the pulley split or
broken any where?

If not broken, one quick way to fix it would be to put on the pulley
and use the tapped hole in the pump shaft, used to "press" on the
pulley, to hold the pulley in place by putting a permanent bolt
there? You would need to get the washer sizes correct because the
pulley completely pressed in place may expose some shaft and a
washer will have to be used to fill up that gap and make a tight
fit. I'd also use some lock-tite to be sure the bolt stays put.

Another way would be to have the front extension metal of the pulley
drilled and tapped for a set screw. Put the pulley on - "press" the
pulley on to the shaft - be sure to get it all the way on - tighten
the set screw. The weight of the set-screw will off-set any drilling
done so balance should not be a concern.

Harold McElraft - 3354

Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 20:43:56 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

First of all, working on the AC system can be dangerous. Based on
what you have accomplished thus far you seem quite knowledgeable -
but, I don't know your level of knowledge in refrigeration.

The pressures would appear to indicate a full system if the RPM is
near 2000. At idle, those pressures indicate an undercharged system.
But, we know the system is undercharged because you could not get
all the charge into the system. Any pressure above 30 psi on the low
side will keep the compressor on. High side should be closer to 200 -
 235 psi. So, I'm guessing you are low on charge and at idle.

If you have the RPM's at 2000 then you probably have air in the
system but I am doubting this as the high side would be really high.
If at idle, then going to 2000 RPM will probably cause the system to
start cycling - too much - it will also allow you to put in the rest
of the charge by adding refrigerant to the low side of the system as
the pressure drops.

At 1,034 feet elevation in New Stanton you need closer to 29 inches
of vacuum to boil all the moisture and air out of the system at 75
degrees. One way to do that if you can only get 28 In.Hg. from your
pump is up the temp in major components by using a hair-dryer or hot
air gun. Are you using R12 or R134? I assume 134 based on the charge
you mention. 36 oz is correct for 134 - 40 oz for R12 - although it
depends on what bulletin you are reading. I prefer the 40oz level
for R12. The R134 conversion rule is 90 percent of the R12 charge.

A full R12 system will cycle at 75 degrees (2000 RPM). Using 134 you
should expect a little less cycling because the pressures are
typically a bit higher. Heat the cans of refrigerant with a hair
dryer to get all the gas in the system - don't invert them, let gas
only into the system. Did you use the correct oil? Amount and type? -
 PAG (polyalkaline glycol) oil, specifically PAG/100 oil for the D
compressor, is compatible with all common refrigerants including R-
12 and R-134a - however, the mineral oil in a stock D (mineral/500)
is not recommended with 134. Flushing out the old oil is necessary
when using 134.

Harold McElraft - 3354

wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I hooked up the A/C on Project Vixen today, evacuated it, and
charged it up.

> I evac'ed the system for about 90 minutes, at 28" Hg, then charged
it up.
> The low side pressure is at 32, the high side at about 170-175,
and the temp
> today was about 75 F.
>
> The system is blowing pretty cold (though not sure how cold, as I
cannot
> find my A/C thermometer anywhere) but the compressor isn't
cycling -- it
> just runs continuously.
>
> Following the checklist in the workshop manual, it says to check
for missing
> expansion tube (it's in there, and it's new), or that the system is
> overcharged.  Considering it only would take in about 28 ounces of
R12, and
> the service bulletin calls for 36 oz, I don't think it's
overcharged.

Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 23:10:22 -0000
From: "Robert Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: NEW Videos on DFWDMC

Hey guys, I have been a little late getting these up but I have added
3 more downloadable videos to my MEDIA section of http://dfwdmc.com

There is a clip from that show "Cold Case" that was the source of so
much contraversy here on the DML not long ago.
See it for yourself if you missed it.

Also included is a clip from VH1's "I love The 80's", "1985", "Back To
The Future".

Most recent was SPIKE TV's "52 Favorite cars" with the Delorean
being "the car we wish they still made".
You will notice most of the shots being done at DMCH's showroom.

Feel free to download the videos, and post them on your own server
somewhere if you like.
You will need cable/dsl in order to watch them directly.

Check it out!

http://dfwdmc.com

- Videobob
VIN#5278

Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 17:41:09 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Does the compressor turn off when you pull the
connector on the low switch?  It should...  You may
have an electrical short.

--- Dave Stragand <dave.stragand_at_dml_forwardlook.net>

Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 17:39:07 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I was told that the DeLorean image is also on a number
of NYC buses, advertising this upcoming show.

Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2004 00:53:22 -0000
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Fw: End of an era - DeTomaso Modena

[Moderator Note: Unless someone has something DeLorean-related to contribute, this thread is dead.  - Mike Substelny, DML moderator of the week]

That is truly depressing, Panteras have to be among the top 10
supercars of all time. This for me is very upsetting I have always
loved anything Detomaso, and was hoping for a new Pantera or
Mangusta since the advent of all these retro supercars. could you
please contact me with any info as to where I might look into
purchasing any completed vehicles the website isnt very helpful in
that regard. Detomaso was truly one of the last of the
thoroughbreds, such a shame, Truly a vehicle for the enlightened.