From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2046
Date: Wednesday, June 02, 2004 4:23 AM

From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

From: "kevin" <tednelson83_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>

From: "Jake Kamphoefner" <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

From: "jmpdmc7878" <jmpdmc7878_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

From: kevin creason <kcreason77_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. Re: third brake light
From: kevin creason <kcreason77_at_dml_yahoo.com>

9. Re: Hood emblem what year?
From: Mike Substelny <msubstel_at_dml_lorainccc.edu>

10. RE: Diagnosing my delorean
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

11. RE: new battery
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

12. RE: Water pump pulley came off on its own
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

13. RE: Water pump pulley came off on its own
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

14. Re: third brake light
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

15. Re: I'm Curious...
From: "Dave" <v-davidj_at_dml_microsoft.com>

16. Ben Ferguson - where are you?
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

17. Re: Water pump pulley came off on its own
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

18. Re: return to the upper midwest from PF
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

19. Re: Water pump pulley came off on its own
From: "checksix3" <jetjock11_at_dml_hotmail.com>

20. Re: Ignition lock problem
From: Jan van de Wouw <delorean_at_dml_home.nl>

21. RE: TV alert
From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>

22. Another Caravan to Pigeon Forge
From: wingd2_at_dml_aol.com

23. Alternator Questions
From: PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com

24. RE: Re: Water pump pulley came off on its own
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 20:10:04 -0500
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Ignition lock problem

My lock was acting a little like yours, i went to NAPA and got some
lock lubricant and all is better now.

Mark V

Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2004 01:15:38 -0000
From: "kevin" <tednelson83_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: what is known about harry ward?

does any one know of a guy by the name of harry ward? what do you
know about him? does anyone have any pics of his DeLorean? what parts
did he offer? and lastly how can i contact him?

any info will help. someone told me about him and has car.

he was the 17th member of the DOA, and may still be. i know that he
has a modified car.

Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 21:15:47 -0400
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>
Subject: Re: Engine help??

You're probably hearing the frequency valve buzzing.  If it's noisier
than that, you may need to have the exhaust manifold gaskets
replaced...this fixed my "bad valve timing" problem that wasn't bad
valve timing!

-Josh
VIN 11289 (parts)
VIN 10236 (parts)
VIN 3951 (parts)

Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 23:57:24 -0500
From: "Jake Kamphoefner" <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Re: Hood emblem what year?

Mike,

I don't think there were any 9000 number VINs; at least, I don't think I've
ever seen one.  I think these are some of the VINs lost in sequence during
the switch from 1981 to 1982 production.  Can anyone else confirm this??

As far as the original question about the hoods, the small logos only came
from the factory on the completely flat hoods.  --That is, the hoods with no
relief lines or gas flap.  As far as those that have reported their cars
have a small logo on a "non-flat" hood... well, a lot can happen in 23
years.

Jake
Driving 1063

Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2004 01:42:14 -0000
From: "jmpdmc7878" <jmpdmc7878_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Third Brake Light

Hank,

I followed the advice in the 'Zine at this link:
http://www.dmcnews.com/zine.html and my third brake light works
great.  I feel safer around SUV's and minivans.

                                           Jeff Porter

Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2004 02:26:31 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: third brake light

I tapped off the brake light wire by the plug going to the right side
taillight. I then went through a fuse, along the right pontoon by the
window, up the side by the rear glass, and then under the plastic trim
to the center of the rear louvre. Leave slack so you can open and
close it without streching the wire. I used one of the bolts of the
rear anchor of the torsion bar for a ground. I think you SHOULD use a
fuse so if anything should pinch or ground the wire at least you won't
loose ALL your brake lights! It doesn't have to be large at all to run
a L.E.D light. 5 amps should be plenty and will blow if shorted. I
double-stick taped my light on the underside one of the blades of the
sunshade so I can remove it without leaving any holes.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Hank" <henry_at_dml_i...> wrote:

> Getting ready for PF...
>
> I'm going to install an LED light bar today as my
third-brake/collision avoidance light.  What is the best (and/or
easiest) place to wire this into the system?

Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 05:20:02 -0700 (PDT)
From: kevin creason <kcreason77_at_dml_yahoo.com>

The ignition is suppossed to go into the column a
little ways. In fact, there is large ball-bearing that
forces the the ignition to go in before the key can
slide in.
Can you clarify your problem a little? Are you having
trouble getting the key in or turning it once it is
in?
How worn is your key?
Have you worked on your steering column before?

--- Christopher Mack <christopher_mack_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 05:26:00 -0700 (PDT)
From: kevin creason <kcreason77_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Two choices:
1. route the wires into the cabin electrical
compartment
2. run the wires into the fascia cavity

I chose the latter. I ran the cables under the right
rear quarter panel windows, around the air intake,
slipped between the body and the fascia (fused it
right there where it is accessible) and into the
fascia where I spliced into the brake wire on the
plug. Use heatsink to get good seals on the splices.

Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2004 08:55:10 -0400
From: Mike Substelny <msubstel_at_dml_lorainccc.edu>
Subject: Re: Hood emblem what year?

Up until a few years ago the inventory of original DMC parts was housed
in the Kapac warehouse in Columbus, Ohio.  For at least the last few
years of the warehouse's existence they had an annual warehouse tour, a
one day event at which you could buy parts at drastically discounted prices.

I attended several of these events.  One of the most popular items they
sold was the front "hood" emblem, which was sold at giveaway prices.  I
bought several myself.  These metal emblems have an adhesive back and
can easily be retrofitted to earlier DeLoreans.  As a result, I expect
that there are dozens of DeLoreans which did not originally have the
emblems but bear them now.  Obviously these cars have been modified and
should face a point deduction in any serious concours competition, but
it should be a very simple matter to remove the emblem with no damage to
the car.

- Mike Substelny

Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 08:12:02 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Diagnosing my delorean

Jason, If your getting that much fuel, I would say the control plunger in
the fuel distributor is stuck up allowing maximum fuel flow which would
flood the engine.

Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 08:22:17 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: new battery

Andy, Any battery that you like that will fit in the battery box hole will
work. But, The larger the cca the more cranking time you will have in case
of emergency. Just be sure to tie it down no matter what you get. I use
Wal-Mart for ease and convenience of warranty.

Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 08:37:04 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Water pump pulley came off on its own

Ken, It's a rare thing for them to do that. Does the WP turn easy. I would
guess over time and the pump bearings going bad that start seizing up might
make that happen. I would stay with a press on pulley. Have you priced the 4
bolt pulley.

Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 08:45:16 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

I press them on dry. No grease.

You can press on the pulley with an M10 bolt, a nut, a couple of washers
and lots of grease. You can leave the bolt threaded in the end of the
shaft if you're worried about it coming off again. I take it the shaft
is one of the longer types? (like from John H - they have the keyway)
Has the shaft been cut off flush with the end of the pulley, or was it
left sticking out?

Martin

Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2004 14:34:18 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

Make that 3 choices. I have my wires running down thru the C Pillar
on my rear quarter panel. The wires pop out right next to the trim
panel, and also right behind the rear tail light. Exposure of the
wires is kept to a minimal, and the only tool you might need is a
coat hanger to fish the wires. Also make sure that you take the time,
and run all black wires to keep everything as inconspicuous as
possible.

Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2004 17:21:19 -0000
From: "Dave" <v-davidj_at_dml_microsoft.com>
Subject: Re: I'm Curious...

Hi George...

You pose a rather interesting question.  I'm going to bite on this
one and ask, why would you want to do that?

Not quite my taste, but if you really wanted to make that
transformation I am sure, for the price of a car that already has a
column shifter, you could make it happen.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "George DeLorean"
<phantomoftheopera_gk_at_dml_y...> wrote:
> I am rather curious on something.  Just to be a little bit on the
> different side, has anyone ever though of/attempted to put an
> automatic transmission shifter on the column?  Is it even possible
> do that considering that the column is collapsable/adjustable?
Not

Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 12:28:24 -0500
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: Ben Ferguson - where are you?

Can you please email me directly? Thanks...

James

------------------------------------
DeLorean Motor Company
Vice President
james_at_dml_delorean.com
15023 Eddie Drive
Humble, Texas 77396 USA
tel: 800/872-3621
tel2:281/441-2537
fax: 281/441-2813

Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2004 18:56:34 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

Using a bolt to press them on, you must grease the threads or make the
job 3 times harder to do. I wasn't suggesting greasing the shaft.

Martin

Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2004 19:17:10 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: return to the upper midwest from PF

Andy and others,

There is a "second" caravan that will be leaving from Illinois
very early on Wednesday morning for a straight through drive to
the PF show, with expected arrival time just under the cover of
darkness on Wednesday night.  Most of the show vehicles in this
group will be towed, including the D Rex, so this caravan will
be a bit slower than some of the other caravans on the road.

The group in this caravan plans on leaving the PF area early on
Sunday morning, returning to the far south suburbs of Chicago
by late Sunday night, once again driving straight through 1 day.
Feel free to tag along on the return trip.  See me at the show.
For those of you that do not mind frequent fuel stops, we plan
to stop at least every 200 miles to re-fuel. (600 miles, 1 way)

> List,
>
> I am wondering if anyone has any interesting plans coming home
from Pigeon
> Forge.  I am in Fargo, ND and am looking for other cars to come
home this way
> with..
>
> anyone leaving Sunday and heading towards IL, WI, IA, MO, MN, MT?
even the

Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2004 19:17:45 -0000
From: "checksix3" <jetjock11_at_dml_hotmail.com>

I think he means grease under the washers for the tool he's using,
not grease on the pump shaft.

Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 00:15:29 +0200
From: Jan van de Wouw <delorean_at_dml_home.nl>

On Mon, 31 May 2004 09:39:30 -0700 (PDT), Christopher Mack wrote:

> Saturday I was having problems getting my key into the
> ignition and yesterday I noticed after I put the key
> into the ignition lock the lock went into the steering
> column about 3-4 millimeters.  Has anyone had this
> problem before and if so is it an easy fix?

That is SUPPOSED to happen. This is part of the switch
involved in turning on the "Key-in-ignition"-buzzer...

JAN van de Wouw

Thinking Different...   Using a Mac...

#05141 "Dagger" since Sept. 2000
--------------------------------

Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 17:47:55 -0400
From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>
Subject: RE: TV alert

Yes...I was in NYC today, and while waiting for a cross walk signal, a
bus stopped in front of me, and there was a Delorean staring me in the
face.

Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 18:51:21 EDT
From: wingd2_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Another Caravan to Pigeon Forge

For what it's worth. We have a caravan of Deloreans leaving from the St Louis
area and heading for the Pigeon Forge show, very much like Dave's group from
Chicago. If anyone is interested in hooking up with us, they are more then
welcome to join in.

Our plans are to make this a 2 day trip also. Everyone is meeting in St Louis
on Tuesday, with the group leaving on Wednesday morning. We'll be heading
down thru Paducka Kentucky, thru Nashville Tenn and staying in Cookeville Tenn on
Wednesday evening. On Thursday we will be heading thru Knoxville Tenn and on
into Pigeon Forge.

We have some group rates/blockouts set up at a motel in the St Louis area for
Tuesday evening and also in Cookeville for Wednesday. If anyone is
interested, just email me for additional information at - "wingd2-at-aol.com".

See everyone in a few weeks,
Marty
Mid-State Delorean Club

Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 19:39:35 EDT
From: PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Alternator Questions

Hey all,
     Since I have been using my DeLorean as a daily driver, I have decided it
is time to swap out my original Ducellier alternator with something more
reliable and a bit bigger.   For a while I ignored all of the horror stories
related to the Ducellier, but I decided I don't want it to crap out on me on the
middle of a road trip.   I was looking at some of the alternators that John
Hervey sells, and the 140 amp seems like it would be great.   My car is basically
100% stock except for the door launchers I installed, and I wonder if the 140
amp could be producing too much power?   I want something powerful enough for
me to run headlights, A/C, and windshield wipers for a prolonged period of
time without draining the battery.   What do you folks suggest?

Patrick Conlon

Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 20:55:51 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Water pump pulley came off on its own

Some people put grease on the shaft before they press it on. That was what I
was referring to. That's why I press them on dry with a 20 ton capacity
press. If the pulley is to be used again I would grove the inside of the
pulley and use a woodruff key.