From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2048
Date: Thursday, June 03, 2004 9:05 PM

1. rust on frame
From: nicholden_at_dml_yahoo.com

2. Re: No A/C, Heat, Vent Fans
From: "Christopher Hawes" <chris_at_dml_hawes74.freeserve.co.uk>

3. shifting question
From: "Lauren" <LPLand_at_dml_earthlink.net>

4. Re: Virginia Caravan to PF
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

5. ZILLA
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

6. DeLorean interior... a selling point (or not)
From: "Tom Porter" <treehouse2000us_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. AZ to TN PF caravan
From: "Matthew P. Olans" <mpolans_at_dml_creeper.com>

8. Re: Re: Fw: First Outing With My DeLorean-STRANDED
From: "Roland Smith" <roland_at_dml_dnai.com>

9. Electrical System Plea
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

10. Re: Virginia Caravan to PF
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

11. RE: shifting question
From: Travis Goodwin <tgoodwin_at_dml_vantagep.com>

12. Re: Alternator Questions
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

13. UPDATE PIGEON FORGE PLEASE READ
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

14. Caravan from the Northeast
From: "Hank" <henry_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>

15. PJ Grady comes thru again....
From: billsfanmd_at_dml_aol.com

16. Re: DeLorean interior... a selling point (or not)
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

17. Re: Caravan from the Northeast
From: Michael Paine <mpaine_at_dml_tycomsystems.com>

18. Re: Caravan from the Northeast
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

19. RE: Re: DeLorean interior... a selling point (or not)
From: "Colm Nugent" <colm.nugent_at_dml_blueyonder.co.uk>

20. Future DCS Venues?
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

21. Need help or I won't make it to the TN show...
From: "Dan RC30" <danrc30_at_dml_hotmail.com>

22. Re: rust on frame
From: "jmlaux83" <jmlaux83_at_dml_yahoo.com>

23. Re: No A/C, Heat, Vent Fans
From: "billgrah5" <bill_at_dml_billgraham.net>

24. Re: PJ Grady comes thru again....
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>

25. Re: Diagnosing my delorean
From: "jmlaux83" <jmlaux83_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 21:13:43 -0000
From: nicholden_at_dml_yahoo.com
Subject: rust on frame

Hi,
   I now have the whole front end stripped (with the body still on)
and i can nw see mory clearly that the front section of the frame
that houses the rack and lower suspention arms is a little rusty. I
can get a screwdriver under the paint and flick it off and the metal
underneith is not rusted but a rusty colour. It looks like the
master cyclinder has been leaking over time and contributed to this.
What is the recommended repair for this. Can it be stripped back on
the car and re-coated?

Thanks Nick 10927

Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 22:08:31 +0100
From: "Christopher Hawes" <chris_at_dml_hawes74.freeserve.co.uk>
Subject: Re: No A/C, Heat, Vent Fans

Bill G,

In regard to your crossed wires....

I have just re-fitted my mode switch recently and made a note of the wires
which is as following:-

With the mode switch in the same orientation as when installed:-
green at the top
red and pink in the middle
green & white and the bottom

Hope this helps

Chris Hawes

Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 14:39:24 -0700
From: "Lauren" <LPLand_at_dml_earthlink.net>
Subject: shifting question

Still trying to get 10440 roadworthy.  John Hervey's box o' parts
arrived safe and sound today and hopefully will solve the
overheating issues.  But there's also a problem with the shifting
mechanism.  I can get into 3rd, 4th, 5th and Reverse just fine, but to
get into 1st or 2nd requires lifting up on the shifter.  Not like lifting
to get it into R, but more like lifting the entire shift mechanism.

It's embarassing to have people stare at "that cool car" that can't
get going in gear!

 Any clues?  Any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated.

.....................LP, who wants to DRIVE 10440

Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 21:04:30 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Virginia Caravan to PF

I am scheduled to caravan I-66/I-85 with a couple of Maryland owners.
Contact us directly off List to see if we should join up:
Rich Acuti (racuti1(at)delorean.com)
Mike Cohee (Billsfanmd(at)aol.com)
Bill Robertson (brobertson(at)carolina.net)

Am doing my best to get engine replaced in time. If I miss the
deadline will make the trip in a vintage Lincoln. Hope you can keep up...

>--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Rod Dillman <rhdillman_at_dml_y...> wrote:
> I plan to leave Virginia June 16(Wednesday) for Pigeon Forge.  We
hope to leave from I-81,Exit 156 Brugh's Country Store around 2PM.
Would any one going south on I-81
> like to caravan from there?  My travel plans are flexible as to time
of departure if anyone is interested in another meeting  time.
> Dave Sontos <dsontos_at_dml_v...> wrote:Sunflower
> Is there anyone else in Virginia leaving early Thursday morning
(6/17) for PF that would like to caravan. I'll be doing 64W to 81S _at_dml_ 60mph

Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 18:02:04 -0500
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: ZILLA

http://www.cafeelectric.com/
http://www.deloreanparts.com Are these two manufactures the same?

Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2004 00:12:56 -0000
From: "Tom Porter" <treehouse2000us_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: DeLorean interior... a selling point (or not)

Amazingly I was chatting to a fellow on another automotive list, and
for some reason I just wanted to mention, or rather ask him if he
ever saw a DeLorean before, and what he thought of it.  Boy did that
bring back some memories for that guy, he was in love with the car,
key word is "WAS".

He actualy wasnt aware the car was in "Back to the future" despite
his so called love for it.  He hasnt seen one in years.  He loved it
as a young man and actualy wanted one, so he saved his money and when
he saved it all, lol, he then went out and took a look at one for
sale in his local area.  This was his first time inside the cockpit,
or actualy peering inside the car.  He loved the exterior, the engine
layout (in the back), trunk and all that. But he was severly
disapointed at the interior layout, mentioning it was very plain.  He
said he based his entire decision on that one factor, and walked
away.  He isnt bitter about the car or his love for it.  But man,
thats aweful to judge the car solely on the interior.  Actualy when I
saw my first one in person (thanks Tom!)  I really liked the interior
(grey), although I am more into the black "tightness" feeling.  I
thought it was quite futuristic... considering it was made in 1981.
Yeah the headlight switch and horn is werid, but heck, its an exotic,
its good to have a few design quirks.  Actualy to me, (the interior)
its one of the better features of the car.  Whats your oppinion on
this?

Tom Porter
Vin: ($1800 to go!)

Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 01:39:03 -0700
From: "Matthew P. Olans" <mpolans_at_dml_creeper.com>
Subject: AZ to TN PF caravan

Greetings from the desert!
        Looks like we'll have two DeLoreans on the road and one in tow for
the trip to Pigeon Forge.  Everyone else from the AZ-D that's going to
attend appears to be flying in.  Right now our game plan is to leave the
Phoenix area around 9 or 10am on Monday, 6/14.  We plan to drive
conservatively and do 500-600 miles per day, ending up around Albuquerque on
Monday night, or 100 miles east if we can swing it, Oklahoma City on Tuesday
night-unless we make it past Albuquerque, and Memphis on Wednesday
night-again, possibly closer to Nashville, leaving about 250-400 miles on
Thursday to PF, depending on how far we make it each day.  We plan to take
I-40 from Flagstaff as far across as it will lead us, seeing as there are no
bridges out this time.  If anyone heading east would like to meet up with us
anywhere along the trek, please drop me an email.  I'll let you know our
contact information via cell phone and radio so you can find us.

BTW, has anyone had luck using a CB radio in conjunction with FRS radios
during a cruise?

See everyone there!

Matthew, AZ-D VP

Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 21:14:32 -0700
From: "Roland Smith" <roland_at_dml_dnai.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Fw: First Outing With My DeLorean-STRANDED

We have no idea as to why the shaft broke.  I was in drive creeping along in
a line of cars and the engine was idling at about 1800 rpm.

Roland Smith
Oakland, California
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2004 04:42:17 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Electrical System Plea

Tonight I stopped to help a fellow with a dead in the water (dead in
the middle of the street, actually) Nissan. The poor car probably
suffered from many maladies, but immediately glaring upon popping the
hood were corroded battery terminals (usually a sign of leaking
gasses). Like many people he was most concerned about that big red
wire. Did my best to educate him that it's the OTHER side you've got
to worry about. In fact, when the car wouldn't stay running even after
scraping the terminals clean, on a lark I ran a little 12 gauge jumper
to the block with wire I had in the truck (was on my way home from
working on #5939's engine conversion). Of course idle smoothed right
out. Followed him on uneventful trip back to his house.

If I've said this once, I've said it 1,000 times -- 9 out of 10 engine
running problems are electrical. You *MUST* take care of your
electrical system. Something as simple as a chassis ground will put
you walking otherwise.

Please spend a few minutes ensuring electricals are OK on your DeLo
before it does the same.

Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 21:12:29 -0400
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

[Moderator Note: Feel free to organize caravans on the DML, but some of these details are probably better to discuss through private email.  - moderator Mike Substelny]

I have a class on Wednesday night so I can't leave till Thursday morning

Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 08:41:40 -0400
From: Travis Goodwin <tgoodwin_at_dml_vantagep.com>
Subject: RE: shifting question

I think I know your problem. Lift off the shifter boot and take a look under
the plate. You'll see there's a pin that goes through the shifter lever.
This pin travels along a channel and is what forces you to pull the shifter
up in order to go into reverse.

My bet is that the pin is bent and is causing your problem. Mine broke off a
long time ago and had to be replaced with an old, discarded allen wrench.

Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 06:59:46 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Alternator Questions

The amp rating is to let you know what it CAN
produce..  Amperage output is based on the total load
of the car.  If you only need 90A, the 140A will give
you a decent buffer.

If you have no extra electrical add-ons, you could
save some money by using a smaller unit..  but dont
worry about "too much power".

<SNIP

http://messenger.yahoo.com/

Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 09:24:40 EDT
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: UPDATE PIGEON FORGE PLEASE READ

I posted an update on the bar yesterday but I don't think it went through so
I am doing it again.

We had planned to do an open bar (very limited) since Pigeon Forge was in a
dry county.

This Feb the voters passed a resolution making it wet county.
This all sounds great except I now needed another permit which I found out
yesterday and do not have time to get.

Some things don't always go as planned so I hope you understand.

We will however provide the mixers and other items you need at the bar. Just
no alchohol

You can BYOB at the dinners (not during the show since that is a public
place)
So please BYOB and we will supply the mixers, cups, ice etc.

I am going to add $300 as a top prize in the raffle as a way to give everyone
a chance from the beverage bar.  We also added an extra security person as
well that we did not intend on but I think it is a good idea with all the cars.

The Bar we will have will carry soft drinks and they are free as well, along
with Ice and cups.
We will also be able to keep it open for four hours now instead of the 2
during dinner that we were going to do.

The open container laws are in PF so no open alchohol outside.

I hope this does not inconvenience anyone but me.

(bought all the booze now have to return it)

Thanks for the support and see you in a week or so.

This coming week I will e-mail you instructions to get to PF

For the most part get to the Knoxville area and get on 40 east or if you are
coming from the east get on 40 and go to exit 407 the Pigeon Forge/Serville
exit and go south until Pigeon Forge.  From there go through Pigeon Forge until
the last traffic light (#10) and Smokey Shadows will be on the left.  For
those of you at the Grand I believe it is at traffic light #8 also on the left.  I
believe the hotel web ahs directions as well

You can also reach it by going 321 or 441 up from the south but if you know
that way you are a local anyway.

All your paperwork will be at the show so you will not need to bring anything
to the show except a drivers liscence or ID if you win the raffle car.
We will give you local maps and information.

Ken
DeLorean Car Show Inc

Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 10:07:22 -0400
From: "Hank" <henry_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Caravan from the Northeast

I haven't seen anyone mention it yet, but if there is a caravan from the Northeast in the works, please let us know.

If we start out in Cherry Hill on Wednesday like we did last time, I was thinking that Roanoke, VA would be a good stopping point - 360 miles from Cherry Hill.  We would get in around 7 PM or so, time to have a decent meal.   Then it's only 250 miles to PF on Thursday - we could arrive around noon if we leave Roanoke at 8AM.

I'll be driving from the Boston area to South Jersey on Tuesday, in case anyone wants to join me.

For the return, I'm considering going straight through from PF to Cherry Hill on Sunday, but I don't really expect anyone to want to join me (but if you do, let me know).

-Hank

Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2004 10:34:11 -0400
From: billsfanmd_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: PJ Grady comes thru again....

Rob does not need any more plugs becasue we all know how much he does for the Delorean community but I had to mention what he just did for me. A few months after buying DMC floor mats from him I noticed the backing was coming off. Finally after about a year they got to the point where they started interferring with me driving the car as I my feet would get caught on carpet creases when switching gears, braking etc.

I called Rob a few months back and told him of the problem. Naturally, He told me he wished had sent them immediatley after discovering the problem so his vendor would warranty them but with 3 kids, work etc. the last thing on your mind are floor mats :-)

He told me he would do what he could and take them to the company that makes them and see what they could do. I got them back in the mail yesterday and they look perfect. The backing is now a hard black vinyl with knobby teeth to hold them in place...

Again, Rob did not have to do anything but again he comes through and helped me out....If I hadn't had about $1000 in repairs on my %$$#^ minivan I would have bought some of his new ss parts for the car but I am hoping to get a few at PF...

Mike C

Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2004 15:56:20 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Re: DeLorean interior... a selling point (or not)

Well hey, at least he's honest with himself. I think that's totally
respectable. Although I wonder what exactly he considers "plain"
about the interior? I could understand that with the consideration of
analog gagues, and switch location perhaps, and maybe even the
stitching on the door panels. But I wonder what he was comparing it
to? Funny enough, the interior of my car is what has always gotten me
some of the most complements. People love the layout, but tastes of
course do differ.

As an example, I always considered the Lotus Esprit of the same years
to have a plain interior. The lines around the trim pieces don't
interact gently, and the trim pieces themselves seem to jut out, and
really give those cars a "kit" look. I.e. the DeLorean binnacle
gently flows up from the dash, and the door handles are intergrated
smoothly into the door panels. On the Esprit, these two components
almost look like after thoughts that were bolted on. Especially that
binnacle. It just looks like a universal dash, that allows for both
RHD/LHD install, rather than a custom piece, like the DeLorean uses.

But hey, it's these little things that some people can tend to nit-
pick, and make the difference to them when choosing a car. And makes
the car that they choose even more special to them.

Remember, you're unique, just like everyone else...

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Tom Porter" <treehouse2000us_at_dml_y...>

Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 14:28:44 -0400
From: Michael Paine <mpaine_at_dml_tycomsystems.com>
Subject: Re: Caravan from the Northeast

I am considering going down on Wen.

Michael
vin 6067

Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 07:56:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

When we went to Memphis 2 years ago, we did the run
from Cherry Hill to Knoxville in 1 day!  I am not sure
why so many people from the NJ area want to do it in 2
days this time.

Right now, My plan is to leave Early on Thursday.
Leaving at 5 AM or so should get us in to PF for
dinner.  However, if everyone else is leaving
Wednesday I can adjust my schedule to do this.  Safety
in numbers, so I prefer to not drive alone.

Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 20:25:26 +0100
From: "Colm Nugent" <colm.nugent_at_dml_blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject: RE: Re: DeLorean interior... a selling point (or not)

I have seen an interior retrimmed in a very, very pale grey - almost a
ream  - including the binacle and dash, it looked (and smelled) really
fabulous.  I have also very recently seen one interior retrimmed in maroon,
cream and grey.  It looks rather less fabulous. Of course, these days (I'm
not even 40 years old yet!) sports cars have bits of fake aluminium and
'carbon' trim all over the interior - in my view, less is more.

Colm
(DMC wannabee actively-looking if anyone knows of a good auto)

[...]

[very long quote trimmed by moderator]

Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2004 21:35:30 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Future DCS Venues?

> We will however provide the mixers and other items you need at the
bar. Just
> no alchohol

Woo-Hoo! Grenadine shooters for all!

Seriously though, I won't be able to make it to Pigeon Forge this
year, as I've just got too much going on right now. However, I was
wondering if perhaps you have considered taking the car show
westward, out here to Las Vegas? Later on this year, IGT is going to
pitch their new BTTF slot machines, for relase in mid to late 2005.
And for an outdoor car show, we can get Fremont Street downtown
reserved for us. Plus there is drag/rally reacing near by, with night
time access as well (if heat is a concern for some).

Vegas has the potential to be pretty fun (not to mention that you
know you could do better than the DOA did here 4 years ago, and one-
up them)!

Plus I'm lazy when it comes to driving, so the driving distance can't
be beat! :)

Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 17:49:00 -0400
From: "Dan RC30" <danrc30_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Need help or I won't make it to the TN show...

I'm hoping someone here can help me. I'm in central NJ. A few weeks ago I blew an A/C line on my car on my way home from the Spring Social. I can't find the hole or which hose the hole is in. I need to find a competant A/C repair shop in my area. So far, I've had no luck. Can anyone help me with my problem? Anyone know of a decent repair shop that knows how to find an A/C leak?

Or, better yet, does anyone know if I can just pump regular compressed air into the system to find the leak myself??? Any other solutions/suggestions???

Thanks,
---Dan

Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2004 23:12:48 -0000
From: "jmlaux83" <jmlaux83_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: rust on frame

For the rust spots on my frame I used POR-15 which will bond with the
rust and prevent it from rusting further. Make sure you also get the
marine clean and the metal ready if you get the POR-15. It may be a
good idea to check the fuel tank panel onew day. Mine had some bad
softball size rusting on it. Just drain the tank first before you
take it off.

You can buy POR-15 here:
http://www.prp-porshop.com/merchant.mvc?
Screen=PROD&Product_Code=15&Category_Code=POR15

Jason
2256

Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2004 22:39:55 -0000
From: "billgrah5" <bill_at_dml_billgraham.net>

Thanks Chris.  I fixed the wiring problem but I'm still having
trouble getting the fans to turn on.  Do you or anyone else have any
ideas what to check next?  I hate to buy a new switch if I don't need
to.

Thanks again.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Christopher Hawes" <chris_at_dml_h...>

Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 00:38:30 -0000
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: PJ Grady comes thru again....

I'd like to chime in about Rob too, There is no better feeling than
knowing you have the right person working/restoring your car. Rob is
the most polite and responsible guy I think I ever met. I am really
pleased that he is located in NY, that was a BIG factor in the
purchase of the car since I live in NY. The man deserves every bit
of praise he gets and probably more. The Delorean might be our Dream
car, but he makes sure they stay that way.

Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2004 23:46:14 -0000
From: "jmlaux83" <jmlaux83_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Diagnosing my delorean

Yea, I think thats the problem too. I took off my fuel distributor
last night and I can't even move the plunger up and down with my
finger. Now I need some instructions on taking apart the distributor.
I was able to take off the brass nut in the middle of the distributor
with a crecent wrench but that is as far as I got. where do I go from
there? Also since I have this part off should I also claen and
replace the 0-rings in the pressure regulator? Or do you think it is
wise to just deal with one problem at a time? Thanks for the help
John!

Jason