From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2050
Date: Friday, June 04, 2004 10:09 PM

1. RE: Diagnosing my delorean
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

2. Re: Need help or I won't make it to the TN show...
From: "joeyoseppijoe" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. Re: Future DCS Venues?
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

4. steering column bushing...
From: "Adam 16683" <acprice1_at_dml_hotmail.com>

5. Re: Caravan from the Northeast
From: DmcGman_at_dml_comcast.net

6. Grey wheels was:Hood emblem what year?
From: "jmlaux83" <jmlaux83_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. A small start up problem
From: "anbrahaesl1982" <anders_at_dml_smartfilm.se>

8. DeLorean Car Show Store
From: "Gary Hull" <Specialty_at_dml_IN2TIME.com>

9. DCS checkout problem
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

10. Re: steering column bushing...
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

11. Re: steering column bushing...
From: billsfanmd_at_dml_aol.com

12. RE: DeLorean interior... a selling point (or not)
From: "Murray Fisher" <murrayfw_at_dml_charter.net>

13. Re: Need help or I won't make it to the TN show...
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

14. Re: A small start up problem
From: "supermattthehero" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

15. Re: steering column bushing...
From: Phil Priestley <phil_at_dml_alessandros120.com>

16. Re: steering column bushing...
From: PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com

17. Re: Grey wheels was:Hood emblem what year?
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

18. Re: A small start up problem
From: PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com

19. inner door seal installation
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

20. Re: Grey wheels was:Hood emblem what year?
From: Christian Williams <delorean_at_dml_framezero.com>

21. Re: steering column bushing...
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com

22. Re: Future DCS Venues?
From: "D F" <funkstuf_at_dml_hotmail.com>

23. Re: Diagnosing my delorean
From: "jmlaux83" <jmlaux83_at_dml_yahoo.com>

24. Vent holes?
From: "jmlaux83" <jmlaux83_at_dml_yahoo.com>

25. Rear view mirror
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 22:47:34 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Diagnosing my delorean

I wouldn't take it apart. If you mix up the shims and parts in the chambers
it's much more work for someone like us/rebuilders to put it back together.
Also, it will most likely leak and you don't have any way to check the flow
and pressure test. That is a part that should be left up to the
professional.

Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 03:55:54 -0000
From: "joeyoseppijoe" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Need help or I won't make it to the TN show...

Dan,

You say you are in Central NJ correct? Why not take the car over to
PJ Grady and try to have Rob look at it. There wouldn't be anyone
better in your part of the country to handle it. I only wish I lived
as close as you did. Someday when I can get some extra time on hand,
I plan on making the run up to NJ with the car, just to pay Rob to
give it a thorough "once over" aka the Grady tune up. I would just
call Rob and see if you can get a time to bring it by, since you are
relativley close.

Joe

2524 & 16634

Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 00:11:08 EDT
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Future DCS Venues?

In a message dated 6/3/2004 7:10:33 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net writes:
Woo-Hoo! Grenadine shooters for all!
I prefer Lake Erie Highballs nothing stronger at one point.

As far as will I do an event out west

I have enough problems doing one in my own back yard.
Remember I do not have a group and it is mainly done by me and a few
volunteers.

The next show I am hoping to do will have more involvement and then maybe we
can venture out a bit.  But it will be a long time until I do one out west.

By the way I happen to enjoy the DOA events and have participated in quite a
few of them.

We need participation.  Do you realize that there are about 1000 owners on
the DML and we only get about 10% of the cars.

We need to concentrate on improving and drawing from this list, The active
owners

If we got the numbers up I could do it out west.  We were supposed to
alternate even odd years out west but that never took off. Stephen at DMCH picked up
the ball and has one in the off years in Houston.   Ken Montgomery did a show
out west but attendance was still an issue although for a first shot he did as
well as I did in Cincinnati (good job Ken) .  I like it out west and I spent
2 years in Phoenix.  I even scoped out a site and the group out there was
going to help but it never panned out.

I think Phoenix or Vegas would be great.

We already checked out Mandalay Bay and the prices were not terrible and the
Americana in the back hall was actually really reasonable ($15K for the day,
Yes that is reasonable, Try McCormick Center or Navy Pier)

But there is the issue of a changing economy, travel and how much will you
pay to have it there. The conventions cost money and now I have to be in a hall
and I need at least 50K sq feet or more.

Next year we will have 50K indoor and 45K out side.

I have talked to you before and I believe you would help so I always keep
those things in mind.

Anyway I am tired and it sounds like I am rambling so have a good night.
Thanks for starting the thread I think this will be fun.  I do monitor these
comments although I don't always comment especially now that I have the show
to do so see the rest of you in PF

Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 09:03:06 -0000
From: "Adam 16683" <acprice1_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: steering column bushing...

What are some of the symptoms of a bad steering column bushing? My
steering seems like it is too tight and I get a groaning/creeking
sound when I turn. It also seems to be much worse on a hot day, I'm
assuming because the rubber bushing heats up and grabs.

 My car is noticably handling better since it finally got an
alignment, but some of the instability is still present. Now it
tracks straight but the problem reoccurs when trying to make a slight
steering correction. Its like the steering wheel moves too rigidly
and causes over correction. The wheel doesnt turn smoothly like I
imagine it should.

Anyway, I'm thinking its the bushing, but if anyone has any other
ideas I would really appreciate it!

thanks,
adam

Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 03:24:48 +0000
From: DmcGman_at_dml_comcast.net
Subject: Re: Caravan from the Northeast

There are a few of us in the NJ and NY area planning to Caravan and meet up with others along the way.  Right now I am planning on leaving early Wednesday morning.  Be happy to meet up with any others as we did in Cherry Hill, NJ by I-295.  I think we had 8 D's last time when we went to Memphis.  Not sure how far we will go on Wednesday.  Might get a second wind and drive straight through as we did from Cherry Hill, NJ to Knoxville the first day on the way to Memphis.  In any event feel free to email me privately if interested in those tentative plans.  Also as far as the ride home is concerned I am also planning on driving straight through from Pigeon Forge to NJ on Sunday.  I drove straight through home from Memphis to NJ and that was over 1000 miles and was about a 15 hour drive.  This should be about 3 or 4 hours shorter I would estimate.  As far as leaving on Wednesday, I think most people I have talked to prefer to get to Pigeon Forge early, maybe even a day early in some cases, to unwind and relax.  Yes it can be driven in a day but I think Ken keeps us all very busy so I for one don't want to drive 12 hours and get there just as things get rolling.  Of course maybe some don't want to spend the extra night but I think it worked out great on the way to Memphis and makes for just an extended vacation in my opinion.  Also as Ken has mentioned there are other things to see and do in Pigeon Forge and with all the great events from Thurs night on there's really no time to do that if you get in right before the first get together Thursday.  In any event those interested feel free to email me about meeting up, or with your ideas for caravaning.  We always seem to have a good size group forming from as far north as CT or MASS, and on down through the states we pass through.

Gary Gore
Vice President
DeLorean Mid Atlantic
www.deloreanmidatlantic.com

<<I haven't seen anyone mention it yet, but if there is a caravan from the
Northeast in the works, please let us know.

If we start out in Cherry Hill on Wednesday like we did last time, I was
thinking that Roanoke, VA would be a good stopping point - 360 miles from Cherry
Hill.  We would get in around 7 PM or so, time to have a decent meal.   Then
it's only 250 miles to PF on Thursday - we could arrive around noon if we leave
Roanoke at 8AM.

I'll be driving from the Boston area to South Jersey on Tuesday, in case anyone
wants to join me.

For the return, I'm considering going straight through from PF to Cherry Hill on
Sunday, but I don't really expect anyone to want to join me (but if you do, let
me know).

-Hank>>

Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 11:13:48 -0000
From: "jmlaux83" <jmlaux83_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Grey wheels was:Hood emblem what year?

Alright, I read through the Mellenium hand book and apparently my car
(2256) should have silver wheels with black caps, however mine are
the grey ones. Now I'm not saying that the po switched them at some
point but It doen't make sence why they would switch to grey. I was
just going to leave them because I thought they were stock but now I
might as well have them refinished in silver. Can anyone with grey
wheels send me a good picture of one of them so I can compare with
mine because they look 20 years old (Maybe the dealership?).

Jason 2256

Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 10:20:01 -0000
From: "anbrahaesl1982" <anders_at_dml_smartfilm.se>
Subject: A small start up problem

Hi,
I've just replaced my CO sensor due to total lack of idle. The idle is back but one part
of the original problem remains. When I start the engine the revs go upp to 3000 and
stays there for 30 sec and the it goed down to normal. Does anyone have an idea on
this, it's probably very simple.

Keep on driving D
Anders

Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 23:00:10 -0700
From: "Gary Hull" <Specialty_at_dml_IN2TIME.com>
Subject: DeLorean Car Show Store

For those of you that were unable to complete your reservations/purchases at
the DeLorean Car Show Store today, the problem has been corrected and the
DCS Store is functioning properly again.

Gary
IN2TIME

Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 00:12:57 EDT
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: DCS checkout problem

We are experiencing a technical difficulty on the web page
we are aware of it as it occurred to day.

Gary has fixed it and will be responding as well

Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 14:02:44 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: steering column bushing...

The bushing could have some effect on this but it's unlikely. The
normal failure mode on the bushing is that it falls apart and
everything gets loose. You should lift the front tires off the ground
and then methodically look for the binding, maybe by disconnecting
the coupling to the steering column. My bet would be that the lube
inside the steering rack has dried out, but I've also seen the
universal joints in the coupling get stiff.

You may be able to remove the small access cover on the rack and put
in some more lube (90 wt gear oil, not very much!) but the best thing
is to remove the rack from the car, remove the boots, stand it on one
end, flush and refill with the proper amount of oil. Check the manual
for the quantity but it's less than a cup, I believe.

This also gives you the opportunity to check for binding in the tie
rod ends and ball joints (not likely).

Dave S

Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 09:46:23 -0400
From: billsfanmd_at_dml_aol.com

adam,
I replaced mine last year. First, get a flashlight and look under the dash and fllow the steering column to the floor. you can see where it enters the body. Grab the column and move it up and down. It should not move at all. You will be able to visually see if the bushing is there or gone.

If it is missing the column will move up and down then you need to put a new bushing in there. When I would drive before the steering was fine but the wheel would move up and down and is more annoying than anything.

If the bushing is there then you can spray some wd-40 to quiet it a bit. I cant imagine the bushing causing any other steering problem as it is just a plastic/rubber sleeve. Maybe check your tie rod ends???

Mike C

Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 07:03:58 -0700
From: "Murray Fisher" <murrayfw_at_dml_charter.net>
Subject: RE: DeLorean interior... a selling point (or not)

HI Tom
Well, everyone to their own "poison" I always say.    We have an almost new
Lincoln Continental and a new Chrysler  Sebromg as well as some classic
cars.   They all are individual as to design and looks, both interior and
exterior......We think our "old" 81 DeLorean has stayed right up there as to
the interior design,  Love it.   Everything is personal to different people,
but I hunted for one with a gray interior.  I thought the black was dismal
and closed in on me.   Also I hunted for an Auto as, although I have owned
many manuals, I got tired of rowing through the gears.    I didn't want a
painted D at all so got a SS one.   Yet I saw several painted ones at the
Memphis show two years ago that were real beauties.....I have also seen some
poorly done ones that were "dawgs".  So it just depends.  Go for what you
enjoy YOURSELF.
Murray
Vin:  05962
Lic:   DMC-XII

Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 14:11:22 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

You can make up a fitting and fill the system with dry compressed air
to around 100 psi. You will probably find the high pressure discharge
hose, the one on the left side that runs from the compressor to the
condensor coil, to be bad. You will not find the exact spot, it will
leak out of the many small holes along the outer covering. It can be
replaced without removing the body. Once you know for sure it is bad
just call Rob and order one. He will send you all the "O" rings you
will need and tell you how it is done. After installing the hose you
will need to go to a shop and have the system evacuated, tested, and
refilled. They should pull a hard vacuum for at least 1 hour, fill
with a sweep charge, test, vacuum again for 1/2 hour, and than fill.
If your system has been dead for a long time you should also replace
the dryer/accumulater. It is also good practice to replace the cores
in the service valves. Try to find a shop that will use R-12.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Dan RC30" <danrc30_at_dml_h...> wrote:
> I'm hoping someone here can help me. I'm in central NJ. A few weeks
ago I blew an A/C line on my car on my way home from the Spring
Social. I can't find the hole or which hose the hole is in. I need to
find a competant A/C repair shop in my area. So far, I've had no luck.
Can

Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 14:45:42 -0000
From: "supermattthehero" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>
Subject: Re: A small start up problem

3000 seems kind of high.  I think 2000-2500 is probably more in the
normal range.  You will likely have to adjust your mixture setting
now that you've replaced your oxygen sensor.  The reason that the
RPMS jump up like that (or at least this is what I think) is because
of the cold start valve injecting additional fuel into the engine
when you start it.  When all of this additional fuel is burned up,
the idle falls back down to normal and the idle speed motor takes
control.

Matt
#1604 - likely the only car ever to its engine pulled in the process
of replacing the oxygen sensor

Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 09:15:15 -0700
From: Phil Priestley <phil_at_dml_alessandros120.com>

Adam,
I had the same problem and it turned out to be the upper U-joint on the
steering column. I removed it and got it freed up and that solved the
problem.
Phil Priestley
Alessandros 120
http://alessandros120.com/
(503)370-9951

Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 11:45:04 EDT
From: PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com

It depends if your bushing is original or not.   I replaced mine a few days
ago, which was not as easy as I expected, but the difference is unbelievable.
There were only 2 small pieces of my original bushing left in, so after
seeing this I ordered DMCH's bushing and installed that.   There is no more of the
steering wheel jiggling up and down while driving.   It seriously feels like a
different car.   So my advice to you is to replace it anyway if it is
original, because one of these days it will fall apart after years of dryrot.   If it
fixes the problem, great.   If not, you prevented a problem later on down the
road and can look for other ways to diagnose it.

Patrick Conlon

Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 19:48:39 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Re: Grey wheels was:Hood emblem what year?

Who knows what happened at some point. As an example, I have 2 sets of wheels installed
on my car! Dark silver in the back, and bright silver in the front. 2 seperate paints I know,
because the front wheels will glow under a black light, and the rears will not.

I also thought that I've read somewhere that there are 2 different color codes for silver
wheels, being light silver and dark silver. These are seperate from tthe gray wheels which
are MUCH darker.

Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 16:00:54 EDT
From: PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com

It is supposed to rev at a high level and then drop down after a certain time
has elapsed.   It is a feature meant to help "warm up" your car before you
drive it.   Everything sounds A-Okay.

Patrick

Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 13:58:43 EDT
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: inner door seal installation

List,

My final project before PF is to replace my inner door seals.  they are torn
in the upper front corner at the ends of the windshield (which is where
apparently most cars have this problem).  i am replacing both doors' seals.  how do
i prep the car so my new seals won't rip like the old ones?  i heard something
about grinding down the edges but i am unsure which edges to grind, how to
grind it, or how much to grind.

anyone with previous experience, please help me out!

thanks!

Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 11:49:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: Christian Williams <delorean_at_dml_framezero.com>

Can someone post a comparison between the silver wheels and the gray
wheels? I think I've also heard them called light gray and dark gray. I've
never seen a very good side by side comparison, so I'm actually not sure
which wheels I have.

-Christian

Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 20:27:32 -0000
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com

Andy - If everything else in the steering has been checked and
adjusted, which it apparently has, it does sound like the bushing is
deteriorating.  A particular symptom is the groaning, creaking, and
squeaking. A good upgrade replacement option is the machined delrin
bushing that we offer.  I've not heard of anyone who didn't find
relief from their bad bushings with these.  A temporary "fix" is to
spray some silicone into it.  That will last for a while, but will
eventually dissipate.  You should check the bushing visually to make
sure that it isn't torn.  Check the security and feel of the steering
shaft and u-joints as well.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com

Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 20:25:05 +0000
From: "D F" <funkstuf_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Hey!
I would love to see an event out west.
I would love to go to Pigeon Ford, but being self employed I can't get away.
I live in Washington State.. Let's do one here..  I'll help do it.
Eastern Washington where it's easy to find a lot of space and the weather is
great..
Wine Country.
I'm really sorry I can't go to this one!

>From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
>To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
>Subject: Re: [DML] Future DCS Venues?
>Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 00:11:08 EDT
>
>In a message dated 6/3/2004 7:10:33 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
>dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net writes:
>Woo-Hoo! Grenadine shooters for all!
>I prefer Lake Erie Highballs nothing stronger at one point.

[very long quote trimmed by moderator]

Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 20:34:25 -0000
From: "jmlaux83" <jmlaux83_at_dml_yahoo.com>

So am I going to need to buy a new fuel distributor then? I was
hoping that the plunger just came out so I can clean it up. Since the
distributor is all gummed up0 from old fuel is there anything else
you recommend changing? Except for the engine and accumulator the
rest of the fuel system is new.

Jason

Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 21:06:51 -0000
From: "jmlaux83" <jmlaux83_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Vent holes?

What are the two holes in the body for(the ones right behind each
rear speaker)? I see no purpose for them at all except a place for
water to come in and ruin the interior. It would make sence if the
two long black vents on both body panels were flipped then they would
scoop air up and force it into the car while driving but the way they
are positioned all they are doing is defecting air. So what are they
actually for?

Jason

Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 18:16:32 -0500
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: Rear view mirror

I just installed my new rear view mirror from DMCH and it had a peel
and stick backing on it but no double faced tape. My question is this
going to break the windshield?

I have a black painted square on my windshield where the old rear view
mirror was attached to and it also had no double faced tape.

Mark V

Come see all of my Photo's at my Website's
http://groups.msn.com/DMCPhotos/shoebox.msnw
http://photos.yahoo.com/snextime
http://www.exoticrides.com/galleries/showgallery.php?ppuser=57