From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2055
Date: Tuesday, June 08, 2004 9:35 PM

1. Danger Bill Robertson
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

2. Re: Differential axle shaft seal
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

3. Re: Weather Stripping Makes Passenger Door Hard To Shut
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

4. Re: Engine misfiring and coils
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

5. Re: Danger Bill Robertson
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

6. Alternator Leaking
From: "thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_cox.net>

7. Re: So much for fixing...
From: billsfanmd_at_dml_aol.com

8. O2 sensor in single exhaust manifold
From: "supermattthehero" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

9. Re: Engine misfiring and coils
From: "TalksToGod" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

10. Re: Danger Bill Robertson
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

11. RE: TV alert - DeLorean on Trio Channel
From: "Michael C. Babb" <michael_at_dml_babbtechnology.com>

12. Re: Differential axle shaft seal
From: <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

13. Re: Weather Stripping Makes Passenger Door Hard To Shut
From: <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

14. Re: (Australian) Dream is over :(
From: Justin T Gryder <JUSTIN.GRYDER_at_dml_DUKE.EDU>

15. looking for Mathew Cooley of Whichita, KS
From: "dmcox_sd" <dmcox_at_dml_tfb.com>

16. AW: Alternator Leaking
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>

17. Pigeon Forge - souvenirs
From: "Marvin" <marv_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com>

18. Re: Differential axle shaft seal
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

19. Re: Alternator Leaking
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

20. Re: Weather Stripping Makes Passenger Door Hard To Shut
From: PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com

21. Re: Alternator Leaking
From: kevin creason <kcreason77_at_dml_yahoo.com>

22. Re: O2 sensor in single exhaust manifold
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

23. Re: Alternator Leaking
From: "thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_cox.net>

24. Ken- Add another to the show..... Anyone coming through Nash?
From: "delorean02378" <delorean02378_at_dml_yahoo.com>

25. vin #6905
From: "dloreanboy" <dloreanboy_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 11:39:53 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Danger Bill Robertson

Regarding your trans/engine project - you need to think back - did
you see the alignment pins/dowels that line up the engine and
transmission? Sometimes they stay in the engine and sometimes they
stay in the transmission. Since you swapped things around you couple
possibly have left them in the old engine. If they are missing
several Bad Things will happen:

Your starter will make very unfriendly noises as it will not be
properly aligned with the flywheel;

You will in short order screw up the input shaft, usually at the
coupling, due to the mis-alignment. I have a friend here who went
through three input shafts prior to figuring this out. They lasted an
average of 2000 miles each time.

I hope you don't have to pull it apart again, but if you are not 100%
sure about this you'd better do it.

Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 15:13:32 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Differential axle shaft seal

The seals generally come out without too much trouble. The BIG thing
when doing this job is to put the special nut back EXACTLY as you
remove it. Mark it with some paint or nail polish and count the turns.
This is a very important adjustment and you do not want to change it.
If the flange is grooved, damaged, or rusty, Dave is correct, it must
be replaced or sleeved or the new seal will soon leak.

Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 15:09:15 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Weather Stripping Makes Passenger Door Hard To Shut

Do not try to adjust the door hinges. Keep trying to adjust the anchor
pins. Rob Grady sells the seals in several different profiles. Some
cars need the smaller profile to fit right and some need the thicker
one. Since you got the parts from Rob you should call him and discuss
this with him. He can tell you how to get the seals to work. On many
cars the seals get worn out and instead of a P.O. replacing them
someone adjusted the anchor pins to get the door to close harder on
the old, worn, seals. This works for a while but can't work when you
do finally replace the seals. You may have to cut the fiberglass
around the anchor pins to get more room to adjust them. Rob can
explain it to you.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, PRC1216_at_dml_a... wrote:
> Hey All,
>      I replaced my passenger side weatherstripping tonight since my
other one
> was ripped and torn.   I used the thin kind that Grady sells.
Since I put

Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 15:22:31 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Engine misfiring and coils

Don't confuse resistance with inductance. All coils are not created
equal. Spacing of windings, # of turns, and gauge of the windings all
have effects that cannot be measured with an ohmmeter. I am sure MSD
coils are fine for many applications, I am just not convinced that
they are any better for a Delorean with a Bosch ignition module than a
Bosch coil. Besides, I also pointed out othter possable causes other
than the ignition coil. The only time you might notice any improvement
over stock would be at high rev's and/or high power levels. Increasing
the output voltage of the coil without upgrading ALL of the other
parts in the secondary ignition circuit will cause the weaker parts to
fail. In particular I am refering to the distributer cap and rotor.

> Group, There is a saying if you keep on doing what your doing, then
you keep
> on getting what you got. So, the question is are you happy with what you
> got.
> If your happy with the perfectly good conservative Bosch ignition
system,

Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 15:26:54 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Danger Bill Robertson

Lost in Space?

I know the pins Dave is talking about. Are two, located approximately
1/3 around the bellhousing from the upper mounting bolts. Can see what
look like bolt holes drilled through the bellhousing where they mate.
My new engine of course has two brand new ones. Old ones are
permanently stuck to the Renault block.

They are roll pins, not solid. Personally would prefer something a bit
stiffer. Had time permitted I would have tapped the block holes and
replaced them with cut off bolts (smooth shank protruding into the
bellhousing). As it is I'm fighting a Friday deadine to get what I've
got tested and on the road to Pigeon Forge (via DC).

An easy test if they're there would be to stick a bolt into the holes
from the backside of the bellhousing.

Maiden voyage of the RMS DeLorean is scheduled later tonight. Have
misplaced the bracket that holds the engine cover stay so I need to
fabricate one. Also need to fabricate a guard to protect A/C
compressor pulley & belt (engine cover is very close now due to
increased engine height). Will figure out whatever else I've forgotten
when it falls on the road.

New engine is extremely free rev'ing. Red lines approximately 2/3
throttle. This is static of course -- need to see what it does under load.

Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 16:52:25 -0000
From: "thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Alternator Leaking

While I was beginning work on flushing my cooling system, I noticed
about a half-dozen drops of thick oil under the right side of the
engine.  Turns out it's oil that's leaking from my Motorola
alternator.

So how long do I have before I get to replace this too?

Johnny

Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 13:02:27 -0400
From: billsfanmd_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: So much for fixing...

The consolde is fairly easy to remove but the first time it is a bear becasue of all the wires and hoses etc. that need to line up on each side. I have not followed your past posts but a few of your problems are easy. The console needs to be slid into position and line to 6 bolts with 6 thin metal brackets.

Your throttle may be sticking because the throttle cable runs right under the console and he may have tightened it down on the hose???  Your window switch is sticking becasue the 2 screws that you see below the 5 speed shift are not tightened down all the way...The vinyl is up slightly and rubbing the switch. Do not take the switch off your defrost switch or you will get a bunch of brass pieces and a real heachache to reasemble....Once you get the console in right the switches should snug back into place.

Just remove your 5 speed leather section and check that all hoses and wires are not under the bracket. That would be the first place I would start....

Try and find another owner in your area to help you...Where are you located?

Good Luck
Mike C

Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 16:24:21 -0000
From: "supermattthehero" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>
Subject: O2 sensor in single exhaust manifold

This has come up before, but I was not able to find it.  If I build
a custom exhaust setup with true dual exhaust, will having the
lambda sensor in only one of the two pipes work correctly with the
ECU?

By the way, if the answer to this is yes, you can expect to find my
stock exhaust system (muffler, muffler brackets, crossover pipe,
heatshields) on e-bay shortly.

thanks,

Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 16:19:44 -0000
From: "TalksToGod" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

Mr. Hervey-I just wanna say that I purchased your MSD coil, 8mm wires,
+4 plugs, ss lines, cleaned injectors, 150 AMP alternator etc etc etc
and I have never been happier with the results. They DO make a
difference. Performance/and every day driving wise the car has been
great as opposed to the stock
parts-especially the alternator. I don't plan on changing it back to
stock, as I never have any problems with it. In the rain, I had the
same problems as I did with the stock setup so its just the rain as a
problem causing factor regardless of anything I use. The only thing I
am trying to determine now is if my fuel pump is going bad-the
accumulator and distrubtor have been replaced in 01? 02? something
like that. I haven't replaced the pump so I'm wondering if I should
now before I'm on the side of the road wondering why I didn't-only if
it's going bad of course. I agree with what you say in that these
upgrades can bring forth problems that the other setup wouldnt. What
makes my DeLorean different from anyone elses?-If it works in mine, it
should work in yours-shouldn't it?- Unless you have fuel, electrical,
engine problems, so on and so forth-this is most likely why it will
not. Also I have been a mechanic for many years restoring the old
muscle cars and etc.-Ive used hundreds of MSD, Pertronix, Malley etc.
setups. I'm pretty good on determining what combinations
of parts are good for the car, and which are not. I've seen people
melt their cap/rotors because they use too high of a voltage coil and
 wrong wires and etc. So-make sure you know what your doing before
you just spend hundreds thinking it will work. Most of us have
preferences when it comes to what we buy for our cars -but don't be
affraid to upgrade to a different brand. Dan B #5003

Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 17:27:10 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

Sorry - I couldn't resist the reference! It occurred to me that it's
easy to miss those roll pins (I've now seen this on TWO cars) and I
hated the thought of your trashing a transmission and having to pull
it out again..

. --- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_c...>

Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 13:32:25 -0400
From: "Michael C. Babb" <michael_at_dml_babbtechnology.com>
Subject: RE: TV alert - DeLorean on Trio Channel

FYI - this is going to be on again tonight at 8:00 Eastern time.
Directed by D.A. Pennebaker and Chris Hegedus - may be the same one that
was offered for sale in VHS format a few years ago . . .but still worth
checking out.

Michael

Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 14:11:20 -0500
From: <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

Once you remove the axle shaft there is a roll pin thru the flange. You have to drive out this pin and then the flange just pulls off. Call Grady and get the new parts.

Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 14:12:44 -0500
From: <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

Lubricate the seal with silicon then park the car in the hot sun for a day to set the seals.

Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 13:52:15 -0400
From: Justin T Gryder <JUSTIN.GRYDER_at_dml_DUKE.EDU>
Subject: Re: (Australian) Dream is over :(

"goportpower" <goportpower_at_dml_yahoo.com>
06/08/04 03:13 AM
Please respond to dmcnews

        To:     dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
        cc:
        Subject:        [DML] (Australian) Dream is over :(

Well, just as i thought things were going nicely for getting my car
to Australia, I find that Department of Road Transport (SA), tell me
that I cannot register a 20-22 year old car being left-hand drive. It
needs to be at least 30 years old and there is no way I can afford
another $20k for a conversion. This confuses (and infuriates) me as I
have seen other cars on the road of less age, being driven around
LHD. Oh well sorry for the rant guys. I guess the dream is over...?
any help/advice?

+Wait another 8-9 years for it to be 30. lol

Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 18:19:21 -0000
From: "dmcox_sd" <dmcox_at_dml_tfb.com>
Subject: looking for Mathew Cooley of Whichita, KS

Mathew - if you're on the list, please contact me at:
 "dmcox (at) delorean.com"

Thanks,
Dave Cox

Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 21:20:18 +0200
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>
Subject: AW: Alternator Leaking

There is no oil in your alternator, only two bearings and those
are filled with grease.

Must be your valve cover.

Elvis

Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 12:17:30 -0400
From: "Marvin" <marv_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com>
Subject: Pigeon Forge - souvenirs

A limited edition of crystal clear, acrylic souvenir 16 oz. glasses are now ready for the 2004 Pigeon Forge DeLorean meet.
They are beautifully screen printed on 2 sides with a high styled Delorean on one side and the date / location on the 2nd side. They are individually poly bagged. Perfect for the pool / patio area, they are break resistant. Priced at only $5.00 each or 4 for only $18.00 (no tax will be charged), cash only, no cheques, no credit cards, no debit machine! They make a great inexpensive souvenir of this history making event. The glasses will be on sale at the vendors area.

I may have not made enough for the size of the crowd expected. When they're gone, they're gone forever!
Marv.
# 17077

Marvin Stein
Printed Drinkware Company
toll free: 1-866-725-4665
email: marv_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com
website: printeddrinkware.com

Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 20:10:36 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

David - I don't recall reason to remove the "special nut" when
servicing the seal. After you remove the axle flange you can pry the
seal out with a screwdriver and press the new one in, all from the
outside.

Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 20:13:57 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: Alternator Leaking

I've seen that. It's not oil or grease at all, it's the "potting"
plastic from the voltage regulator. It means that the alternator has
been pretty hot at some point. Mine was still working when I replaced
it, and it looked like that for a looong time - several years. If you
take the alternator apart you'll find that plastic sealing the
voltage regulator chip has melted and you can see the chip module
itself.

So - probably not an emergency, but put it on your to-do list.

Dave S

Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 17:50:27 EDT
From: PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com

Hey again,
     Actually using the silicone and leaving the car in the hot sun did
wonders.   It helped to mold the weatherstripping to the shape of my door.   The
door closes much nicer than before, so thanks for the advice.

See you in Pigeon Forge!
Patrick

Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 12:37:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: kevin creason <kcreason77_at_dml_yahoo.com>

my alternator (the motorola) has congealed goo under it too... It's been that way for at least three years and I haven't felt enough need to drop the cash on the brutish 150. I desire that big'un, but I haven't made the purchase yet. No failure, no purchase. Unfortunately.

I've often wondered what that goo is. It doesn't seem like oil, to me. It's rather sticky. I've thought it might be the stuff/insulation they use to seal around the wrappings melting out.

Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 20:16:00 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: O2 sensor in single exhaust manifold

Should work fine. It's a no-no on a modern EFI system because the
cylinder banks (even the cylinders) are controlled separately, but on
the DMC the fuel mixture control is automatically the same across all
cylinders.

Dave S

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "supermattthehero" <supermatty_at_dml_p...>

Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 22:42:13 -0000
From: "thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_cox.net>

Wow, it's hard to believe that I might be able to forgo this
replacement!  (For a while).  I guarantee that it's not my valve
covers.  There is nothing dripping on top or on the back of the
alternater.  It is definately coming from inside the casing of the
alt and nowhere else.

I live in AZ and last Friday was over 110F.  I drove it that day so
it wouldn't surprise me if something melted.

Consider it added to my to do list.  Maybe after October!

Johnny
5518

Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 00:33:15 -0000
From: "delorean02378" <delorean02378_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Ken- Add another to the show..... Anyone coming through Nash?

How could I miss it, I live in Tennessee.

If anyone is stopping in Nashville next Wednesday or Thursday, feel
free to email me off the list. DELOREAN02378_at_dml_YAHOO.COM

I'll be more than happy to meet up and show folks around Nashville
next Wednesday or Thursday especially if you're up for Cold Beer.
Speaking of which, remember Pigeon Forge is a dry county so bring
your beer or Jack Daniels with you.

I'm really excited about the show and looking forward to seeing all
the cars. It's rare to see more than two or three in one place these
days and from what I understand, there should be over a 100 at the
show. I'll definitely have the cameras with me.

Everyone have a safe drive and I'll see you next weekend.

Kirk

Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 00:50:32 -0000
From: "dloreanboy" <dloreanboy_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: vin #6905

I went on saturday to the general motors plant in arlington tx
for their 50th anvirsery of the plant for free tours.They had
employee  cars in the parking lot on display classic cars,and
some curent day cars.One car was a delorean on display that
belonged to a employee of the plant.It was nice that a delorean
was represented their with the rest of the cars.