From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2057
Date: Wednesday, June 09, 2004 1:17 PM

1. Re: Delorean ECU?
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. RE: Delorean ECU?
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

3. Re: Ken- Add another to the show..... Anyone coming through Nash?
From: "joeyoseppijoe" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. RE: Re: Engine misfiring and coils
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

5. RE: Re: Alternator Leaking
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

6. Maiden Voyage Of The RMS DeLorean
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

7. Re: Alternator Leaking
From: "anbrahaesl" <anders_at_dml_smartfilm.se>

8. Dmc Buckles
From: "marc" <dafje33_at_dml_hotmail.com>

9. Rear speaker locations?
From: "f14dflyer" <f14dflyer_at_dml_comcast.net>

10. Re: (Australian) Dream is over :(
From: Andrew Prentis <aprentis_at_dml_rocketmail.com>

11. A-310 for sale.
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

12. LED replacement bulbs
From: "anbrahaesl" <anders_at_dml_smartfilm.se>

13. incorrect VIN
From: "hiponesies" <michaelbarth_at_dml_hotmail.com>

14. Re: Re: Ken- Add another to the show..... Anyone coming through Nash?
From: Eric Itzel <eric_at_dml_seviernet.com>

15. Re: Ken- Add another to the show..... Anyone coming through Nash?
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

16. Re: Delorean ECU?
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

17. Why The Need For High Amp DeLorean Alternators?
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

18. Re: (Australian) Dream is over :(
From: William T Wilson <fluffy_at_dml_snurgle.org>

19. Re: Dmc Buckles
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

20. questions about pigeon forge
From: Eric Itzel <eric_at_dml_seviernet.com>

21. Re: LED replacement bulbs
From: "thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_cox.net>

22. Re: incorrect VIN
From: "supermattthehero" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

23. Re: Re: Delorean ECU?
From: Pete Berveiler <zamphyr2000_at_dml_yahoo.com>

24. RE: Dmc Buckles
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

25. Sediment in Cooling system
From: "thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_cox.net>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 19:50:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Delorean ECU?

Not much of a ECU..

All it does it read the O2 sensor, and control the
frequency valve to adjust how much fuel goes in.

There is no control over ignition, and no control over
"firing" the injectors as found in modern EFI systems.

Of course, you could upgrade to EFI... and even fully
electronic ignition (no mechanical distributor) and be
able to "tune your engine with a computer".  :)

http://messenger.yahoo.com/

Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 22:35:15 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Harry, There are 3 ECU's and they are all none adjustable and very rarely
have problems.
Which one are you referring to.
John Hervey
www.specialTauto.com

Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 03:38:39 -0000
From: "joeyoseppijoe" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Ken- Add another to the show..... Anyone coming through Nash?

I am pretty sure Pigeon Forge is now a wet county. I was changed
this year. Not sure how much that affects your plans, but in talking
with Ken, he had to make a few changes because of this new issue.
Just a FYI.

Joe

2524 & 16634

Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 22:55:07 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Engine misfiring and coils

Dan
As you know the rain, water and condensation has always been a problem with
some cars. Chevy years ago put a small aluminum window on the side of the
distributor to adjust points but it was also a good place to blow it out the
distributor when water got in there from the car wash.
Here is a wild Idea. What would happen we coated the inside and out side of
the distributor with Rain X. It sure works great on the windsheild and what
we need in the cap is condensation removal. We might also come up with a
cover.
My next project.
John Hervey
www.specialtauto.com,

Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 22:40:24 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Alternator Leaking

Harold, I may have told you that a year ago GM went through problems with
the Voltage regulators. Then is when I went to another brand along with
another modification and have had no reported failures in the last year. If
your car is blowing regulators, then I would look for a spike problem
somewhere or a voltage surge to the regulator. That could come thru the
ground or the light wire.

Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 04:48:20 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Maiden Voyage Of The RMS DeLorean

Took my re-engined vehicle for its first road test tonight:

For some reason the nice people in Douvrin France felt it necessary to
totally impact my cooling system with a substance that resembles soap.
Is absolutely everywhere. Guess it's intended to protect the engine
until it is put into service. Cleaned it out of the water pump and the
internal distribution pipe (with a plumber's snake). Took out block
drain plugs and fished around in there until water poured in the
internal pipe ports would at least pass through. Figured circulating
coolant would clear out the rest.

It did.

My radiator is now totally stopped up with French soap. Upper inlet
pipe gets luke warm. Lower outlet remains stone cold. Meanwhile
coolant is boiling in the back of the car.

This soap like substance only responds to hot water. Tomorrow I'll try
to flush the radiator backwards with a hose pipe attached to the
Diesel Shop hot water heater.
May see you in Pigeon Forge in a vehicle that left Dearborn Michigan
*WITHOUT* a bunch of soap in its water jacket...

Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 07:48:57 -0000
From: "anbrahaesl" <anders_at_dml_smartfilm.se>
Subject: Re: Alternator Leaking

I've got no good solution but I've experienced the same problem with the regulator. I
got a 136 Amp alternator, a sterdy thing, but I've busted two regulators in it of no
aparent reason. Right now I'm using my old Motorola. I'll give the 136 Amp a new try
in a couple of weeks. I can keep you posted on the progress, I am a bit worried my
self.

Anders Brandt # 10238

Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 07:52:00 -0000
From: "marc" <dafje33_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Dmc Buckles

Does anybody know if there are Dmc buckles avaible ???
And if they are where can i buy one ?
Please tell me if you know.

Greetings,

Marc de Vos

Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 05:08:05 -0000
From: "f14dflyer" <f14dflyer_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Rear speaker locations?

I've got some really nice Detail Master phot etched speaker grills to use for the rear
speakers the custom SunStar I'm currently rushing to finish to PF. One problem: I don't
know where to put them. I have been unable to find a pciture that shows the proper
location and orientation of the rear speakers that wasn't obstructed or of a custom setup.
Could someone be so kind as to email me off-list at f14dflyer(AT)comcast.net with the
right location and - hopefully - a picture? Thanks much.

-Dave Jong

Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 02:04:43 -0700 (PDT)
From: Andrew Prentis <aprentis_at_dml_rocketmail.com>
Subject: Re: (Australian) Dream is over :(

Now come on mate don't give up so easily!I had to
overcome a few hurdles to get my DeLorean as many
others on this list have.I didn't give up till I had a
DeLorean in my garage.
I suggest trying to contact some car clubs in your
area and talk to people with left hand drive cars and
ask them how they got them registered.Bureaucracies
like the Department of road transport can sometimes
not know the answer to something and will just say no
to be difficult.You can then go back to them with the
information you get from other people with LHD cars
and quiz them further and ask why they can have LHD
cars and you can't.
Good luck with it.We need more DeLoreans here.
Andrew
VIN 2883
Sydney,Australia

P.S See you all in Pigeon Forge!

Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 05:36:47 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: A-310 for sale.

I'd be a bit wary of this car, seeing as how it has the older 2.7L
motor with the camshaft/
lubrication issues. But for all of you statesite here that have been
looking _at_dml_ the Alpine A
-310.

http://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.com/10/0/2/72758302.htm

p.s. I've no affiliation with the seller. I just happened across this
car in Classic Car Trader.

Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 13:32:12 -0000
From: "anbrahaesl" <anders_at_dml_smartfilm.se>
Subject: LED replacement bulbs

Does anyone know were I could get LED bulbs for my DeLorean?
Doors? Dash? Interior light? Position lights?

Anders Brandt #10238

Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 13:36:22 -0000
From: "hiponesies" <michaelbarth_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: incorrect VIN

I'm trying to run a carfax report on VIN SCEDT26T6DD016911, however
it says the VIN is invalid.  The year of the delorean is 1983, and
it's currently for sale on ebay.  I checked the VIN on a delorean
website, and it seems to be correct.  HELP!

Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 09:04:49 -0400
From: Eric Itzel <eric_at_dml_seviernet.com>

Pigeon Forge can now serve beer in restaurants. You can also buy beer at
almost any gas station.

If you want anything stronger, you still gotta go to Gatlinburg. However,
that's only 10 minutes from Smoky Shadows and there's a liquor store right
on the left as you're entering Gatlinburg.

Eric

Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 09:30:45 EDT
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

delorean02378_at_dml_yahoo.com writes:

> I'll be more than happy to meet up and show folks around Nashville
> next Wednesday or Thursday especially if you're up for Cold Beer.
> Speaking of which, remember Pigeon Forge is a dry county so bring
> your beer or Jack Daniels with you.

This is not true
The county went wet in Feb and that is what screwed me up
I was not notified and my permits were not valid with the law change

So I have no alchohol but you can BYOB we will supply the mixers
It will be a full bar but no alchohol
We can make the mix to most drinks for you

Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 14:39:58 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

There are 3 "computers" that run the motor. It is engine "management"
at it's early incarnation. The 3 "computers" do not interact directly.
One controls the idle speed (only at idle of course), another varies
the duty cycle of the frequency valve, and the third controls the
ignition coil. These units are "sealed" and are not meant to be
tampered with. Of course that doesn't mean you couldn't modify them.
The problem is we don't have any schematics on these "black boxes".
You would be in uncharted territory and unless you really know what
you are doing it would be difficult and any gains would be minimal. It
is not like on more modern cars where you could "chip" it. You would
have to tear into the boards and swap out descrete components and by
trial and error, changing the values of certain resistors modify the
function. The idle computer won't get you much so I see no advantage
in modifying it unless you want to change the idle speed. There are
better ways to modify the fuel mixture without messing with the Lambda
ECU. That leaves the Ignition ECU. I suppose you could mess with it
but for all the work you would spend on it I ssupect any improvement
would be minimal. If you are REALLY interested in full-blown engine
management then consider one of the more modern systems that Bosch
developed since 1980. It would be a lot of work to install and it
wouldn't be cheap but the improvment could be worth it. Bottom line,
there is no easy or cheap way to modify the systems running the PRV-6
as it is, stock, in the Delorean.

Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 14:52:02 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Why The Need For High Amp DeLorean Alternators?

The latest alternator thread reminds me of a question I've been
meaning to ask for some time:

My Lincolns burn 60 amp alternators no problem. They continuously power:
- 4 sealed beam halogen headlights
- 12 side/tail/turn/license plate lights
- 12 dash lights
- Ignition and breakerless module- Cruise control module
- Analog clock, fuel gauge, oil & water warning lights
- Electric choke spring
- A/C clutch and carb solenoid
- 80 watt aftermarket stereo
- Blower motor and ATC spring
- Windshield wipers
And still have enough capacity to power the occasional:
- 6 (or 12) seat adjustment motors
- Power window motors
- Door lock actuators
- 7 courtesy lights
- 2 cornering lights and dash indicators
- 4 stop lights
- Horns

Compared to that, what in the world in a DeLorean requires 100 plus amps?

Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 11:02:21 -0400 (EDT)
From: William T Wilson <fluffy_at_dml_snurgle.org>

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004, goportpower wrote:

> Well, just as i thought things were going nicely for getting my car
> to Australia, I find that Department of Road Transport (SA), tell me
> that I cannot register a 20-22 year old car being left-hand drive. It
> needs to be at least 30 years old and there is no way I can afford
> another $20k for a conversion. This confuses (and infuriates) me as I

I'm an American, so I don't know the rules in Australia.  But I do know
that bureaucrats are the same way everywhere. :)

It is always easier for them to say "no" than for them to say "yes."  We
in the US have similar trouble getting emissions certification for engine
swaps and imports, even when everything is actually legal.  If they tell
you something is OK but it really isn't, they get in trouble.  But if they
tell you something is not OK even if it actually is, then that is your
problem!  They are not interested in your well being at all.

Normally what you have to do is find an enthusiast club that does similar
things, or do your own research, after all the regulations are always
public information.  Once you are armed with the facts you can force them
to give you the right answer.

Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 15:01:54 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Re: Dmc Buckles

Like seatbelt buckles, or belt buckles?

I have a pewter (I think) belt buckle that I bought off eBay last
year. It's a custom job, as the DMC logo isn't quite 100% acurate,
but still looks pretty nice none the less. However, the pin below
became loose, and just spins around. So I'll have to take it to a
jewler, or repair shop of some kind to get it fixed (with NFR here
every year, there HAS to be someone out there who's up to the task).

Mine's not for sale, and I didn't bother to ask where the seller got
it from, (DOH!). But I'll go back thru my e-mails, and see if I can
contact him again to get a bit more background on it. And of course
to see if any more are available.

Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 10:54:56 -0400
From: Eric Itzel <eric_at_dml_seviernet.com>
Subject: questions about pigeon forge

Hey Everyone

With the show almost a week away, everybody's getting geared up to have
some fun.

If anyone has any questions about Pigeon Forge and the surrounding area,
email me off list. I've lived in this area for quite a few years and I
know it very well and would be happy to help out if anyone needs it.

Thanks!

Eric Itzel
vin 4433
eric_at_dml_seviernet.com <mailto:eric_at_dml_seviernet.com>

Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 15:19:26 -0000
From: "thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Re: LED replacement bulbs

Try this place: http://autolumination.com/194_marker.html

Keep in mind, that the interior lights have the delay shut-off and
replacement LED's don't always work.

Johnny
5518

Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 15:25:22 -0000
From: "supermattthehero" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>
Subject: Re: incorrect VIN

Carfax is probably one of the biggest pieces of crap that has
generated the most wealth for its owners.  I would never trust
anything to it.  It told me my DeLorean wasn't registered until
1993, when I already have receipts and the original warranty
brochure which says otherwise.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "hiponesies" <michaelbarth_at_dml_h...>

Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 09:24:55 -0700 (PDT)
From: Pete Berveiler <zamphyr2000_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Delorean ECU?

Dave T is right (as usual...)

Other than Bosch, if you have the money, the TEC3
system is very VERY versatile.  This replaces a LOT of
the problem components in our baby, but creates a few
more... I beleive a full TEC3 installation would run
about $5500 from one of TEC3's installers, or you can
get the complete package, and you do the work for
about $3700.

TEC3 can be modified for NA or forced induction very
easily, and increases fuel delivery but also can
increase efficency (not a continuous injection system
like our mechanical system), optimizes spark delivery
and timing, and I beleive can compensate for
accessory-power demand (AC, coolant fans, and one
other..)

My experience is that it is a long-term investment in
both time and cash, but the performance gains *the
extra estimated 50 HP-F* will have us approaching the
pump-gas natural aspiration limit of our motor...  and
have us holding on to the Oh-Crap handles on launch!

http://messenger.yahoo.com/

Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 12:27:29 -0500
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

I had brought this up a while back,
I was going to have some CNC cut out of stainles, or something simular but
the cost would be
higher than most would pay, about $100 each or so.
That is unless there were enough quantity to pffset the set up,
even then the cheapest I think they could be sold for would be about $50
each,
Which I would be willing to pay.

I will have something coming out soon, and hope to have a few at the show
but I doubt I will
be able to get it ready in time....

It is a custome belt buckle with a small knife built nto the face.
The knife is held onto the front by a ceramic magnet and is very cool
looking.
The knife is not conceled, and perfectly legal.
(all stainless of course)
The belt will feature a genuine "DMC" logo used from the head of a tie tack
welded on the front.
These will be about $150 each, and worth every penny.
I will see if I can have at least one at the show for display.
-VB

Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 15:30:32 -0000
From: "thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Sediment in Cooling system

Does anyone know if there is something that can be used to totally
flush out the cooling system?  I have managed to get clear water
flowing both ways thru the system but there is a lot of sediment in
there.

What about additives to the anti-freeze?  Any reccomendations to a
good anti-freeze that works for aluminum?

I have a new brass radiator that I will be installing but I would
like to know if there is anything I can do to clean out the pipes.

Plumber's snake?  Maybe not.

Johnny