From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2058
Date: Wednesday, June 09, 2004 8:09 PM

1. RE: Why The Need For High Amp DeLorean Alternators?
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

2. Re: Re: O2 sensor in single exhaust manifold
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. aircon
From: "Christopher Hawes" <chris_at_dml_hawes74.freeserve.co.uk>

4. Re: Re: incorrect VIN
From: Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

5. Re: Why The Need For High Amp DeLorean Alternators?
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

6. RE: Sediment in Cooling system
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

7. Re: Re: Delorean ECU?
From: Steve Stankiewicz <protodelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. Re: Delorean ECU?
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

9. Re: (Australian) Dream is over :(
From: KiwiDean_at_dml_aol.com

10. Re: LED replacement bulbs
From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>

11. RE: Why The Need For High Amp DeLorean Alternators?
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

12. Re: Why The Need For High Amp DeLorean Alternators?
From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>

13. RE: Re: Alternator Leaking
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

14. Re: questions about pigeon forge
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

15. Packing for Pigeon Forge...
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>

16. Re: Delorean ECU?
From: "bbbigray" <bbbigray_at_dml_insightbb.com>

17. Need a room at Smokey Shadows
From: "dracula2893" <franklinairshow_at_dml_aol.com>

18. Re: Future DCS Venues?
From: "Randy Atamaniuk" <martydmc_at_dml_telus.net>

19. Re: Re: Delorean ECU?
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 12:38:48 -0500
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Why The Need For High Amp DeLorean Alternators?

....John Hervey might be the best one to answer that, but you might not take
his word for it since he sells more alternators than just about anybody.
However, we all know that the original alternator was not adaquate and I
think it was 80 AMPS?
The replacement was a 90 AMP I think.
With the power surges from the two 15 amp fans, and all the electrical
requirments for the engine
I guess you need more juice.
I installed one of Hervey's 140AMP Brute's, and also changed the fan system
out with one
his new fan systems that use HALF the amps, and now when my AC kicks in at a
stop light
the DC power needle doesn't drop to 11, it stays right up at 14 and doesn't
budge.

I don't know the REASON why it works better, but I know it does.
-VB

Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 09:13:46 -0700 (PDT)
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: O2 sensor in single exhaust manifold

To further confirm this, the twin turbo set-ups use
dual exhasut manifolds but only the driver's side has
an O2 sensor.

Dick Ryan
VIN 16867

http://messenger.yahoo.com/

Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 19:14:50 +0100
From: "Christopher Hawes" <chris_at_dml_hawes74.freeserve.co.uk>
Subject: aircon

I went into my relay compartment tonight to try the white relay I found in
my locker box.  From what I understand the white relay fitted to the white
socket should mean that the 2 interior lights should come on when the doors
are open and dim to off when the doors are closed.

It didn't work and worse still my air compressor now does not come on.  The
system was re-gassed and the mode switch sorted which has meant until last
weekend a realiable and consistant air con system.  Is it possible I knocked
a relay that controls the air compressor?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Chris Hawes

Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 12:06:40 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Re: incorrect VIN

Aw, it's not that bad.  You just have to remember that Carfax may not have some records that go back before 1993.  Things weren't as nicely computerized 23 years ago as they are now.

Now as to why that VIN isn't working, I'm sorry to say I have no idea...  (??)

Jake and 1063

supermattthehero <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu> wrote:
Carfax is probably one of the biggest pieces of crap that has
generated the most wealth for its owners. I would never trust
anything to it. It told me my DeLorean wasn't registered until
1993, when I already have receipts and the original warranty
brochure which says otherwise.

Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 19:17:12 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

The Delorean cannot be compared to your Lincolns. Your Lincolns do not
have two LARGE fan motors to pull air through the radiator. Add in A/C
which you need most of the time and at idle you are using more power
than the alternator can handle. For short periods of time you can use
the battery to make up the difference (like waiting at idle in
traffic). You eventually have to put back what you used up from the
battery and still have enough output to run everything. This is why
the Ducey won't last long. It is also why you need a good battery.
Throw in the rear defogger and lights and you can see the voltmeter
drop down to 9 volts. Now add a slipping fan belt and an old battery
that is not fully charged because you don't use the car regularly and
you have a recipe for trouble. The issue is not so much the max output
of the alternator but how much it really puts out when the motor is
idling. To increase the output at idle the two "tricks" that are done
is to use a smaller pulley so it spins faster and use a higher output
so at idle it makes a little more than a lower capacity alternator.
Neither of these will overcome a bad or old battery. Another problem
is heat. The alternator is in a bad (read HOT) place. It's output is
reduced by heat. Bad, dirty connections will agravate any existing
problems too.

Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 13:25:47 -0500
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Sediment in Cooling system

Liquid Plumber?
Some other solvent?
(Use at your own risk, I have no idea what this would do!)
-VB

Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 12:52:25 -0700 (PDT)
From: Steve Stankiewicz <protodelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Delorean ECU?

Actually, I have the TEC3 (w/ Eagle 3.0 PRV) installed
in ProjectDelorean and will be at Pigeon Forge if
anyone wants to see it or ask questions.  Haven't had
a chance to tune it yet, but so far so good.  (It
idles real nice)  ; )

=====
Steve

VIN 2650 ("Project Delorean")
www.projectdelorean.com

http://messenger.yahoo.com/

Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 19:30:36 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Delorean ECU?

Did you actually put a TEC3 in a Delorean? This can become a very
interesting thread. Anyone with actual experience modifying the engine
mangement systems could share their knowledge so others don't have to
go over the same ground and would know what works and what doesn't. I
agree that there could be some room for improvement, my only
hesitation would be the large expense and the support in the event of
future problems. Delorean venders would not be able to help with any
problems with these systems. Staying with Bosch you could at least go
to a nearby dealer that might be able to help.

Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 15:58:41 EDT
From: KiwiDean_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: (Australian) Dream is over :(

Is there any way to register the car in another state, if South Australia  is
being so inflexible?

D. Thomas

Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 20:04:13 -0000
From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>
Subject: Re: LED replacement bulbs

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "anbrahaesl" <anders_at_dml_s...> wrote:
> Does anyone know were I could get LED bulbs for my DeLorean?
> Doors? Dash? Interior light? Position lights?
>
> Anders Brandt #10238

Anders,

I bought the LED door light kit from videobob _at_dml_
http://dfwdmc.com/store_parts.html. $30 shipped. They look very nice,
I took a picture of the difference between these and the light bulbs,
but I haven't put it on my web site yet. At any rate, from my point of
view they appear every bit as bright as bulbs. The light is slightly
more concentrated toward the center, but the lens still gives a decent
dispersal pattern. I find the slight changes in how they look very
attractive. The best part about 'em? I can leave my doors open all day
without worrying about my battery. No more disconnecting the lights
when I want to work on the car, or find that I'm spending a
significant amount of time talking to someone about it.

Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 15:16:39 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Bill,
Alternators when tested cold and with certain components used will have a
nominal rating that it's sold under. That is what is advertised for. What
they don't tell you is that the current will drop about 15% of it's rating
at regular retail stores. This is what I call cold rating.
After the alternator gets hot which takes about 10 minutes after you fire up
the car the current rating will drop. In most cases the 80 amp Ducy will
drop to 68 and the 90 will drop to 76 or so. Factor in age and then what do
you have.
Even this will do the job as long as the alternator is turning about 3000 +
RPM's or rotor speed. But most of the time it's the surges and the current
draw at low idle when you see the voltage drop below charging voltage. When
you take the worse case of AC on, blower motor on, cooling fans on, fuel
pump on and your at a light the current can't keep up and you start running
off battery voltage. The you might want to factor resistance in line or
cable loss and ground. It doesn't take long with all this stuff on to draw
down so where the alternator can't keep up. Oh, It's also trying to charge
back into the battery anywhere from 15 to 20 amps. All we are doing is , if
your going to build new then why not build more power into it so it's there
if you need it. Our D110 will work fine in 80% of the normal driving
applications, but it will run out of power if you need more.
Our alternators are also rated Hot which is more realistic as to the true
power out put.
Kinda like RMS stereo power VS PEP power. No where even close.
Short explanation.
John Hervey
www.specialTauto.com

Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 20:11:05 -0000
From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_h...> wrote:
> ....John Hervey might be the best one to answer that, but you might
not take
> his word for it since he sells more alternators than just about anybody.

You can take his word for it. John wouldn't try to sell you something
you didn't need.

> his new fan systems that use HALF the amps, and now when my AC kicks
in at a
> stop light
> the DC power needle doesn't drop to 11, it stays right up at 14 and
doesn't
> budge.
>
> I don't know the REASON why it works better, but I know it does.

The original alternators were simply underpowered. When you add up the
goodies, especially those front cooling fans, and take into account
the wiring losses, the car really needs a bigger alternator.

At night, with the lights & front fans running, sitting at a stoplight
my DeLorean is using battery reserves. When those fans kick in the
voltage drops and my headlights dim slightly. If nothing else, I'm
going to put one of John's 140 or 150amp alternators in soon just to
keep this from happening.

I have more dire power needs than most, however, as I plan to add a
pair of high powered amps for my audio system.

Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 15:19:53 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Alternator Leaking

They or somebody needs to build in more protection into the regulator light
line and be sure your running a 161 Battery light.

Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 20:25:21 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: questions about pigeon forge

Eric,

I'm curious what the local weather stations are calling for with
their 10 day forecasts.  According to weather.com, it looks like
it should be mid 80's for highs and low 60's for lows, with a
chance for rain on Thursday, but sunny on Friday.

Hoping for good weather to run the Dragon's Tail.

Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 16:30:27 -0400
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>
Subject: Packing for Pigeon Forge...

Hey Gang,

Ken asked me to pack up some parts to bring down and "vend" in Pigeon
Forge, and I wanted to consult the list and see if there was anything in
particular you guys would be interested in either buying, or maybe just
seeing out of the cars.  I don't have a lot of room to haul stuff down,
but if anyone's got a particular request, I'll do everything I can to
fulfill it, or know the reason why.

If you've got something, e-mail me off list at jhaldeman(AT)fuse.net and
I'll respond and let you know what I can do.

Also...just a reminder...if you have any last minute parts requests that
need to be mailed out, we're getting close to the cutoff point!

Thanks for your time,
Josh
VIN 5102 (going to PF whole...and staying that way, dagnabit!)
VIN 15964 (going to PF same as above)
VIN 3951 (parts going to PF)
VIN 10236 (parts going to PF)
VIN 11289 (parts going to PF)

Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 20:56:39 -0000
From: "bbbigray" <bbbigray_at_dml_insightbb.com>

Hi Harry.

Don Steger at DeLorean Motor Center has been working on just such a
system (programmable engine control) for quite some time.  His design
approach is quite intriguing.  Among other things, he's working on
dyno testing and emissions, so his development is pretty thorough.

In addition, since programmable engine control systems are very easy
for the uneducated to catastrophically foul up, I suggested he
include a CD-ROM with the package so we could opt to simply choose
from a menu of his presets, as opposed to fiddling with settings
individually via the laptop.  Personally, I hate blue smoke.

As for installation, Don's system is designed to be put in by
reasonably competent owner/mechanics with some minimal involvement by
machine shops.  The price is TBA, obviously, but the current
estimates are very reasonable.

The big issue for him right now, IMHO, is economics.  (--The bane of
most vendors on this list trying to develop new product.)  If enough
people are interested in programmable engine control, he may decide
it's worth investing the time to go into production.  Unfortunately,
a market of one (me) isn't big enough to make economic sense.

Last time I was in Garden Grove, the prototype was near completion,
and he had most of it installed on a ginuea-pig shop engine.  If
you're seriously interested, give him a call.  I'm sure potential
buyers would make his development project much more motivating...

--Ray
  10693 and counting.

  --- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_y...>

Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 22:45:03 -0000
From: "dracula2893" <franklinairshow_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Need a room at Smokey Shadows

I booked two rooms last year, and all I need is one now. So if anyone
needs a room at the Smokey Shadows Hotel let me know ASAP.

Kyle
franklinairshow_at_dml_aol.com

Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 16:58:19 -0600
From: "Randy Atamaniuk" <martydmc_at_dml_telus.net>
Subject: Re: Future DCS Venues?

Someone had mentioned Washington state.  I would like to suggest Spokane, WA
and Coeur D'Alene, Idaho.

If not there, I suggested in Memphis yet that we should go to New Orleans or
perhaps
Detroit.  Have the car show across the street from General Motors!!!

Randy

Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 15:59:22 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Google "MegaSquirt" for a cheaper solution.

http://messenger.yahoo.com/