From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2059
Date: Thursday, June 10, 2004 3:17 PM

From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

From: Eric Itzel <eric_at_dml_seviernet.com>

From: Rod Dillman <rhdillman_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: Rod Dillman <rhdillman_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

From: "Cory" <mrdelorean88_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "Jace & Jenn" <judtnet_at_dml_cableone.net>

From: "funkstuf" <funkstuf_at_dml_hotmail.com>

From: "Roland Smith" <roland_at_dml_dnai.com>

From: "funkstuf" <funkstuf_at_dml_hotmail.com>

11. RE: Sediment in Cooling system
From: "Palatinus, Joe" <jopalatinus_at_dml_davidson.edu>

12. Re: Re: Delorean ECU?
From: Pete Berveiler <zamphyr2000_at_dml_yahoo.com>

13. A strange and disturbing issue
From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>

14. DeLorean Back On The Road
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

15. Led Bulbs for most lights on the Delorean
From: "joeyoseppijoe" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

16. RE: questions about pigeon forge
From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>

17. RE: Sediment in Cooling system
From: Justin T Gryder <JUSTIN.GRYDER_at_dml_DUKE.EDU>

18. Re: LED replacement bulbs
From: "anbrahaesl" <anders_at_dml_smartfilm.se>

19. The Resurrection of Vixen Continues...
From: "Dave Stragand" <dave.stragand_at_dml_forwardlook.net>

20. Re: questions about pigeon forge
From: Eric Itzel <eric_at_dml_seviernet.com>

21. Still an interior lamp issue
From: "Dani B" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

22. RE: Relay/Fuse Upgrade
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

23. Re: Future DCS Venues?
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

24. RE: questions about pigeon forge
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

25. Re: A strange and disturbing issue
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 21:35:58 EDT
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Future DCS Venues?

In a message dated 6/9/2004 6:11:37 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
martydmc_at_dml_telus.net writes:
If not there, I suggested in Memphis yet that we should go to New Orleans or
perhaps
Detroit.  Have the car show across the street from General Motors!!!
Detroit is and has been an option.  The costs are not bad and it is centrally
located

New Orleans I visited in the spring and was not able to find what I needed at
that time

I like New Orleans just didn't find the right location.

Remember I have looked in Florida and Chicago for four years and could not
find a right combination.

Keep up the ideas

Detroit is in the running for 2008 with Florida but there is a lot of room to
look at other sites

Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 22:56:21 -0400
From: Eric Itzel <eric_at_dml_seviernet.com>
Subject: Re: Re: questions about pigeon forge

Hey Rich

Don't listen to the weatherguys- the texture of the area makes forcasts very
very unpredictable..

See the following quote-
"Since when can weatherman predict the weather, yet alone the future."

Eric

Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 18:36:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: Rod Dillman <rhdillman_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: LED replacement bulbs

Ryan, How hard is it to replace the bulbs. How do you get the lens sockets from the door frame? Is there a danger of cracking the lens plastic. Thanks, Rod

ryanpwright <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com> wrote:--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "anbrahaesl" wrote:
> Does anyone know were I could get LED bulbs for my DeLorean?
> Doors? Dash? Interior light? Position lights?
>
> Anders Brandt #10238

Anders,

I bought the LED door light kit from videobob _at_dml_
http://dfwdmc.com/store_parts.html. $30 shipped. They look very nice,
I took a picture of the difference between these and the light bulbs,
but I haven't put it on my web site yet. At any rate, from my point of
view they appear every bit as bright as bulbs. The light is slightly
more concentrated toward the center, but the lens still gives a decent
dispersal pattern. I find the slight changes in how they look very
attractive. The best part about 'em? I can leave my doors open all day
without worrying about my battery. No more disconnecting the lights
when I want to work on the car, or find that I'm spending a
significant amount of time talking to someone about it.

Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 18:25:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: Rod Dillman <rhdillman_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Caravan from the Northeast

If anyone or any group from the Northeast or the Eastern Shore of Virginia would like to break the trip up into two days Roanoke would be a good place to spend Wednesday night. I-81 Exit 150-A (Troutville, North Roanoke)has several motels,one of which is a new Red Roof Inn. The Red Roof has agreed to give any of the DeLorean group a special rate of $49.49 double occupancy Wednesday night. To get the rate mention the DeLorean car show or ask for Melandy. The telephone number for the Red Roof Inn is (540)992-5055. There is a Cracker Barrel restaurant next door to the Red Roof and a Pilot gas station close. Stopping at the Red Roof would leave about 250 miles to travel Thursday. I live in Troutville and would like to join the group Thursday morning, if schedules permit we could get together Wednesday for dinner. If interested contact me by e-mail at rhdillman_at_dml_yahoo.com Thanks, Rod Dillman

DmcGman_at_dml_comcast.net wrote:For those interested. I had a few emails about a northeast caravan. Tentative plan from this area is as follows. A few of us will be meeting up at the Steak and Ale Restaurant PArking Lot, by the intersection of Route 70 and
I-295 in Cherry Hill, N.J. on Wednesday June 16th. We will be meeting there at 7:30 am and probably driving straight through or at least close. It is the same meeting point as we did for those who met us there for the drive to Knoxville on the way to Memphis. Anyone who is interested in meeting there, or catching up with us along the way that day, email me privately and I will get a list together and update as we get closer.

Gary Gore
Vice President
DeLorean Mid Atlantic
www.deloreanmidatlantic.com

Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 23:33:45 -0500
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

I (unlike a few vendors I have purchased from) always include detailed
instructions on how to install the items I sell, concerning the LED dor
lights it is easy.
Just use a small flat blade screwdriver you can pry back the lens from the
rubber seal and pull it out.
The, simply pull the old bulb out.
It helps to have a friend hold in the door switch so the bulbs is off and
cool.
The new LED plugs right in.
Push the lens back in and use the screwdriver to edge in the rubber.
Simple.
Although I give free shipping, I will have them at the show.
-VB
VIN#5278

Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 04:41:33 -0000
From: "Cory" <mrdelorean88_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: San Diego DeLorean

Greetings to all,
  I just returned from San Diego California after a three day stay. I
was staying at Mission Bay, where i discovered a DeLorean. This
DeLorean was under a white car cover, the rear louvers are gone, and
the battery might be out of the car. The year is either an 82 or 83,
and the VIN is unknown. I was unable to talk to the owner but i am
wondering if the owner belongs to this list. If so please email me
directly.
Thanx A lot
Cory C.

Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 22:46:29 -0500
From: "Jace & Jenn" <judtnet_at_dml_cableone.net>

I also got a set from Videobob.  They do look great.  I did a local car show
the other day and left the doors up with lights on and had zero power drain
at the end of the day.

They are VERY easy to replace.  They just snap in like a replacement bulb.
The lens just pops out (carefully) from the rubber holding it in place.  I
used a small screwdriver to help pry the lens out.

Jace

Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 05:09:35 -0000
From: "funkstuf" <funkstuf_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Cooling System

I wanted to follow up on the cooling system problems I and others
have had.  My cooling fans were working sometimes, but, it seemed
very random.  In fact, it seemed that if I let it warm up with the
cap off he filler tank the fans would usually kick on.   My car had
the bleeder hose installed so I didn't think it could be air in the
system.  Someone had posted that it would be wise to bleed the system
where the hose goes into the top right side of the radiator.  I
started the car and let it warm a little.  I then bled the system for
a minute or so at that point by removing the hose. (before it got too
hot).

I've now tested my car numerous times and the cooling system is
seemingly 100% reliable.  I've started it and let it warm up, I've
driven it first, I've let it go through several cooling cycles while
idling and the fans seem to kick on and off perfectly every time.
Just a piece of information for those of you with random cooling fan
problems.

D. Funk

Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 22:09:39 -0700
From: "Roland Smith" <roland_at_dml_dnai.com>
Subject: Steering column shroud #101986

Does anyone know of a source for a steering column shroud.  I understand the
stock number to be 101986.

Roland Smith
Oakland, California

Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 05:03:14 -0000
From: "funkstuf" <funkstuf_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Relay/Fuse Upgrade

This week I saw a package for a complete Relay Kit with all Relays
and fuses advertised on E-Bay.  They were all Bosch Relays.
The price is $189.00 "buy it now" price.  This is substantially less
money than the Delorean Motor Company Kit.  Does anybody know
anything about this?

D. Funk

Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 23:46:54 -0400
From: "Palatinus, Joe" <jopalatinus_at_dml_davidson.edu>
Subject: RE: Sediment in Cooling system

DO NOT PUT LIQUID PLUMBER NEAR YOUR ENGINE. Liquid plumber contains
little pieces of aluminum and sodium hydroxide which together with water
react vigorously.  The pipes in your house are not aluminum and can take
this reaction.  A little liquid plumber on your engine mixed with water
could feasibly eat a hole through the aluminum.  It is true that liquid
plumber is occasionally used to remove anodized coatings from aluminum,
but the parts are typically soaked in an open area and rinsed with
copious amounts of water very quickly.  The people that use draino and
other acid/alkaline solvents on aluminum are making a deal with the
devil.  I would try sanding the sediment out if you can get to it, I
realize it is within the pipes, so this might not be a feasible option,
there are some chemicals, which would be safe such as paint thinner, or
brake clean, these will remove organic deposits, but would probably not
be things you would want to put in the pipes while the car the running.

See you in PF

Joe P.
VIN 17167 6808

Message: 6
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 13:25:47 -0500
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Liquid Plumber?
Some other solvent?
(Use at your own risk, I have no idea what this would do!)
-VB

Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 04:45:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: Pete Berveiler <zamphyr2000_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Delorean ECU?

I saw the Megasquirt a while ago... its a good
replacement for an existing EFI, but IMHO the TEC3 is
a complete replacement of our system.  It includes new
injectors, fuel rails, all the sensors, the ECU and
all the sensors for that price.   PLUS the better
timing unit as well....

Thanks for the info tho Marc.... BTW do you have this
on your D?

http://messenger.yahoo.com/

Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 05:15:37 -0000
From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>
Subject: A strange and disturbing issue

On my way home this evening, it was raining. I pulled into my garage,
turned the headlights off, opened my driver's door and shut down the
engine. I was enjoying a song and left the key on "accessory" for 30
seconds or so. I then realized that I still had the mode switch in
"defrost" and the fan blowing, so I flipped the mode switch to "off"
to save my battery.

I then heard a new noise that I hadn't heard before. Every 15-20
seconds or so, a relay would click somewhere behind me and my interior
lights would dim slightly. The relay would stay energized for 2 to 3
seconds, then go off. I could hear a weird "buzzing" noise behind my
head when it was engaged. After a few rounds of this, I shut the radio
off but left the key in "accessory". I got out of the car and found
where it was coming from, but I have no idea how or why.

With my door fully opened, the upper rear (closest to engine) corner
of the driver's side door comes into gentle contact with the roof
t-panel. When this relay - whatever it is - engaged, it was causing an
electrical short between the t-panel and the door! Since the car was
wet from the rain, the sound I was hearing was water being vaporized
from a few cm or so around that contact point! I observed this through
several cycles of the relay to be positive of what I was seeing.

Further troubleshooting:

- I partially closed the door to eliminate the contact with the
t-panel and waited for the relay to engage. It did so, this time with
no water vaporization. All I heard was the click of the relay. Letting
the door back up, it went back to vaporizing water.

- I turned the key to "off", then back to "accessory." The relay did
not continue to engage every 15-20 seconds. I did not restart the car
to test as I was now in my closed garage and was also eager to come
write this post before I forgot the details.

So, questions:

1. What could this relay be?
2. What could be causing it to short against the door like this?

I believe something is wrong here.

Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 06:44:20 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: DeLorean Back On The Road

My vehicle is back on the road and continuing its shakedown.

The crap in my new block was Cosmoline. Intended to protect the
aluminum cooling system from moisture. Go figure.

You're supposed to dissolve Cosmoline with a solvent, not water. Wish
I'd known that before. Guys at the Diesel Shop managed to unclog
everything at lunch. Have been test driving ever since no problem.

Unless something untoward happens in the next two days, #5939 will be
at Pigeon Forge (via side trip to DC).

Fellow with a digital camera photographed my damaged Renault block
(the impetus for this whole last minute engine conversion). Will
upload pics as soon as he eMails them. He also photographed my dual
exhaust. I'll upload those pics too.

Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 11:44:23 -0000
From: "joeyoseppijoe" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Led Bulbs for most lights on the Delorean

Since this type of thread appears to pop up every now & then I
thought I would let you know of a great site with amazing prices for
LED lights.

Just go to www.superbrightleds.com and click on led bulbs & products.

As long as you have a sheet telling you the common bulb #s you can
find most all of them here, as well as the load resistors should you
choose to modify the turn signals also. I have modified the door
lights, trunk & engine lights since those are the main power robbers
when you show your car off, plus you really can't tell from stock
much. Anything else you change is up to you, this site has most of
what you'll need to change most every bulb. I've heard that changing
the fan fail, lock doors, & defrost with LED doesn't work so hot, so
I'd look more into those 3.

Here are some of the common ones:

  SP10076        BULB 5W TYPE R19-5       #1095
  SP10077        BULB 21W TYPE P25-1      #1156
  SP10306        BULB SIDE MARKER         #194
  SP10305        BULB TUBE BACKUP         #12100
  SP10065        BULB PARK/TURN           #1157
  101316         SEALBEAM H/L             #H4656LL
  101315         SEALBEAM HIGH            #H4651LL
  SP10303        BULB DOOR MARKER         #194
  SP10304        BULB TUBE TRUNK          #12100
  SP10301        BULB DASH                #
  105859         BULB/SOCKET ILLUM        #168 or PC168
  105874         BULB/SOCKET TURN         #168 or PC168

The #194 Bulbs with the 4 Ambers & 2 Reds will do the doors just
fine. $18 for the door set, just a few bucks more gets you the
engine & hood lights. You can go wild from there.

Hopefully this will help out with people always hunting for
available LED lights. This site has been excellent in shipping and
parts availability.

Have fun "bulbing"

Joe O'Brien

2524 & 16634

Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 08:11:33 -0400
From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>
Subject: RE: questions about pigeon forge

Eric,

Can we ALL stay at your place?  ;)

With the show almost a week away, everybody's getting geared up to have
some fun.

If anyone has any questions about Pigeon Forge and the surrounding area,
email me off list. I've lived in this area for quite a few years and I
know it very well and would be happy to help out if anyone needs it.

Thanks!

Eric Itzel
vin 4433
eric_at_dml_seviernet.com <mailto:eric_at_dml_seviernet.com>

Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 07:47:50 -0400
From: Justin T Gryder <JUSTIN.GRYDER_at_dml_DUKE.EDU>

er.

"Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
06/09/04 02:25 PM
Please respond to dmcnews

        To:     dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
        cc:
        Subject:        RE: [DML] Sediment in Cooling system

Liquid Plumber?
Some other solvent?
(Use at your own risk, I have no idea what this would do!)
-VB

Doesn't Liquid Plumber have a VERY bad reaction with aluminum?

i.e. Explosion!!

Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 13:29:46 -0000
From: "anbrahaesl" <anders_at_dml_smartfilm.se>
Subject: Re: LED replacement bulbs

Thanks Ryan! I'll check it out!

Anders #10238

Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 09:39:35 -0400
From: "Dave Stragand" <dave.stragand_at_dml_forwardlook.net>
Subject: The Resurrection of Vixen Continues...

Hi All,

Things are moving slowly but very steadily at the Last Chance Garage.

We recovered the headliners, which is a nightmare process I never want to
have to redo.  While the Heads-Up brand headliner is a very good match for
the original, every single box we looked at had a different chade of gray.
That means we have to get every piece perfect on the first try.  For those
of you attempting this in the future, I'd start by applying the adhesive to
one small section at a time, and working from there.  We still have the
buckets in the doors to do, but after as much practice as we've had re-doing
the same pieces 3 and 4 times, we hope to get it right on the first shot.

On Tuesday the 8th, the Vixen became an officially inspected and completely
street-worthy vehicle according to the laws of the Commonwealth of
Pennsylvania, and we've been hitting the road as much as we can since then.
So far, we've racked up 120 miles, and we'd like to hit 500 before we leave.

All that is left to do is install the third brake light, recover the
headliner buckets, adjust the torsion bars, install the trailing arm
shields, and some miscellaneous small items.  Looks like we may actually
finish in time this time after all!

See you in Pigeon Forge!

-Dave Stragand
VIN #05927
http://www.projectvixen.com
http://projectvixen.camarades.com (webcam)

Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 08:42:04 -0400
From: Eric Itzel <eric_at_dml_seviernet.com>

Yeah. Bring a tent.

and beer.

Eric

Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 15:48:00 -0000
From: "Dani B" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Still an interior lamp issue

In trying to get my interior lights to turn on when the doors are
open-I find that I am completly confused as to how this works. I
thought that the interior light needed to be clicked either forward or
backwards in order to contact any metal inside the light housing which
completes an electrical connection... I just can't get these to go on
with an open door- I have the logic box hooked up, and the doides I am
going to test again, what else could keep my lights from working? The
relay? Thanks -Dan B. #5003

Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 11:00:12 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Relay/Fuse Upgrade

Dale, If you will look on my web site you will see the relay kit with more 8
Bosch relay's
and all the other items for $99.95 and with the new RPM relay for $139.95.I
also have the fuse Kit for $4.20.

Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 09:08:44 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

New York State..

Rockland, Westchester, and Orange county area is
nice.. Maybe stay at one of the newer hotels in the
Catskills.  Car show _at_dml_ West Point along the river..
Driving tour through mountain and reservoir areas..

<SNIP>

http://messenger.yahoo.com/

Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 09:16:08 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Maybe if you were GOING!! (Kevin).  :)

http://messenger.yahoo.com/

Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 14:32:30 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: A strange and disturbing issue

My first guess would be that the locking solenoid inside the door is
grounded. The clicking relay you hear is the circuit breaker popping
on and off. I cannot explain why it is doing what it is doing. Unplug
the lock module and see if it stops so at least you know which circuit
is misbehaving. From there it is now just troubleshooting. You will
probably have to open the door up and see what is going on inside. I
think you need to fix something in the central locking circuit, either
a wire or perhaps the coil in the door.