From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2061
Date: Friday, June 11, 2004 11:32 AM

1. Re: Under a week now!
From: casey barlow <dmc1288mph_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. A/C Question
From: "schab932000" <schab932000_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. Re: Still an interior lamp issue
From: <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

4. RE: Re: A strange and disturbing issue
From: "Gary Hull" <Specialty_at_dml_IN2TIME.com>

5. Re: A/C BURST on low pressure hose(was law countersuit)
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

6. Re: Still an interior lamp issue
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

7. Re: Would anyone like a set of these?
From: "supermattthehero" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

8. DeLoreans in TV/movies
From: Isaac Grover <ephesys_at_dml_myexcel.com>

9. Re: LED replacement bulbs
From: "anbrahaesl" <anders_at_dml_smartfilm.se>

10. Re: Torsion bars needed
From: "lakelanier20" <derek4567_at_dml_hotmail.com>

11. Tactical Communication in Large Formation Assault Operations--OpOrd PigForge
From: "bbbigray" <bbbigray_at_dml_insightbb.com>

12. Re: auto parts for sale.
From: kevin creason <kcreason77_at_dml_yahoo.com>

13. Re: Relay/Fuse Upgrade
From: "joeyoseppijoe" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. Taillight Tinting
From: "drdhdmd" <doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com>

15. Is there a Direct Replacement for the Electric rear Antenna?
From: "Jason Perkins" <jperkins_at_dml_microsoft.com>

16. Re: Tactical Communication in Large Formation Assault Operations--OpOrd PigForge
From: Rod Dillman <rhdillman_at_dml_yahoo.com>

17. Re: Re: LED replacement bulbs
From: Rod Dillman <rhdillman_at_dml_yahoo.com>

18. July 4th Car Show Pasadena Texas Convention Center on Sunday
From: "Frank" <montlyfool_at_dml_yahoo.com>

19. Re: DeLoreans in TV/movies
From: PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com

20. DCS Registration and Raffle Tickets
From: "Gary Hull" <Specialty_at_dml_IN2TIME.com>

21. Thermotime Switch Question
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>

22. Re: Taillight Tinting
From: "johnzd81" <johnzd81_at_dml_yahoo.com>

23. RE: Taillight Tinting
From: "Gary Hull" <Specialty_at_dml_IN2TIME.com>

24. Re: Re: Caravan from the Northeast
From: Rod Dillman <rhdillman_at_dml_yahoo.com>

25. Re: belt buckles
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 20:21:18 -0700 (PDT)
From: casey barlow <dmc1288mph_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Under a week now!

HI, I am just finishing up a few things on VIN# 3270, and I will be ready to go!!! I can't wait to meet all of you.See you there!  Casey Barlow  tag  GR8SCOT

PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com wrote:My fear is not being able to fit everything I need in the car. Since I am
bringing a passenger, two duffel bags may be pushing it. :)

See you all in PF,
Patrick
1880
"PATS DMC"

Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 03:12:27 -0000
From: "schab932000" <schab932000_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: A/C Question

I had my A/C converted to R134 late last year (8/16/03) by a local
shop. Everything that should be replaced was (accumulator and
orifice tube).

My a/c still is blowing fine today, but the compressor is cycling
quite frequently and I was wondering if this is normal. When the
car is sitting, idling, I don't hear the compressor click on and off.
When I'm driving along, I will hear and feel (loss of power) as the
compressor clicks off and on. I will hear a double click, and after
3 seconds I will hear the double click again with the same loss
of over all power.

I have the John Harvey fan fix and I know as the compressor is
clicking on and off, my fan is as well (fan fail light illuminates). As
this is happening, while driving at night, my headlights tend to
show the loss in power as well. I'm assuming because of the
fans and compressor are clicking on all at once.

Should the fan be on at all times with the a/c on, or just when the
compressor is on?

What should be the average cycle time from when the
compressor clicks on and off (like on a hot muggy day)?

What should be the high and low pressure on the A/C?

Thanks everyone.

Pat
vin5443

Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 22:51:33 -0500
From: <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Still an interior lamp issue

Check fuse #12.
Does the glovebox light work, this is on the same circuit.
Are your door switches hooked up correctly.
Pull one of the lights down and check for voltage, find a good ground connection first, maybe under dash by hood release.
The purple wire should be hot always.
The purple/white wire comes from the switch delay unit.

Hope this helps.
Dave Sontos

Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 20:15:00 -0700
From: "Gary Hull" <Specialty_at_dml_IN2TIME.com>
Subject: RE: Re: A strange and disturbing issue

Ryan,

> ...my passenger side door lock is acting up...
> I am going to replace the relays and diodes tonight.

Be careful.  It is very possible that the door lock solenoid is already
"fried". If it is, replacing the relays and diodes may not be necessary, or
if they did get damaged they could just get damaged again.

I have a used solenoid (not sure which one :)

Or... Perhaps Toby (DPNW - www.delorean-parts.com) has a pair of actuators
to replace the solenoids. The new actuators (and relays) should cost less
than a new solenoid, and they put less of a demand on the rest of the
system.

Gary
IN2TIME

Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 03:53:49 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: A/C BURST on low pressure hose(was law countersuit)

Any shop that would try to splice a blown A/C hose back together AND
WITH HOSE CLAMPS!!!! is not the kind of shop that does quality work.
Even if you could put it back together and it held, if it already went
bad in the first place you can expect it to blow again and again. The
hoses can be replaced without removing the body. Bite the bullet and
call a Delorean vender and get the right hose. The time and money
spent on refilling the A/C when the hose pops again will cost more
than just doing it right in the first place. You are dealing with a
lot of pressure in these hoses and anything less than correct will not
last. Make sure that someone checks the oil fill on the compressor.
Every time you lose refrigerent it takes some of the oil with it.
After several times you MUST check and add oil if needed. BTW the hose
that runs on the left side by the brake booster is the high side hose.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, John Podlewski <john_podlewski_at_dml_y...>
wrote:
> I had my low pressure hose replaced some time ago, and recently
discovered, the last Mechanic that installed it actually spliced it in
half near the front of the vehicle, right under the Brake servo access
panel so it is easily seen.  I guess because they had no other way of
routing it without separating the frame from the chassis?  Well that
held for three whole days, so I took it back and they just put it back
together with clamps.  Well that held for awhile.
> Finally after seeking legal action for other various problems they
caused related to the fuel system and engine.  I repaired my Delorean
myself and took them to court and WON against G.T CAR CENTER in Ft.

Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 00:23:05 EDT
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

In a message dated 6/10/04 3:23:06 PM Central Daylight Time, 5n-_at_dml_gmx.net
writes:

> In trying to get my interior lights to turn on when the doors are
> open-I find that I am completly confused as to how this works. I
> thought that the interior light needed to be clicked either forward or
> backwards in order to contact any metal inside the light housing which
> completes an electrical connection... I just can't get these to go on
> with an open door- I have the logic box hooked up, and the doides I am
> going to test again, what else could keep my lights from working? The
> relay? Thanks -Dan B. #5003

Dan,

this spring i wrestled with the lights too.  it came down to first making
sure the lights were wired correctly.  the electrical diagram is not a scale
picture.  hook the wires up so that they perform the function electrically, not as
in, wire X goes on the left side while the other two go on the right side.
that messed me up the first time.

make sure your door switches work correctly and are nice and tight.  you
should be able to push the switch in with the door open and the door lights should
go out.  you should also be able to wiggle the wires and jiggle the switch
and the lights don't flicker.

then check the diodes by your right leg when driving.  perhaps one wire is
loose or disconnected (which was my case).

in which positions does your overhead light work correctly??

Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 05:21:53 -0000
From: "supermattthehero" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>
Subject: Re: Would anyone like a set of these?

Thanks!  I really appreciate the feedback.  The reason I made a set
for myself versus buying the stainless overlays was that, on my car,
an early '81, whoever drilled the nasty holes in it wasn't very
careful and melted a good portion of the plastic around the holes.
On the passenger side door sill, they even caught part of the "D" in
D M C with the drill.
The stainless overlays don't really make mine look all that much
better, since the raised portions of the sill are damaged as much as
the recessed portions that the overlays cover.
  Not surprisingly, most posts/private e-mails related to these door
sills have mentioned the price is too high.  Because price depends a
lot on the quantity produced, let me ask, would anyone be interested
if these could be purchased for $150/set?  My machine shop says they
would need to make at least 300 pairs to be able to price them at
that.  I'm not so sure it's optimistic to think that number would be
sold even after 10 years.

Does anyone know who designed the stainless steel coolant bottle?  I
wonder what quantity of those were ever sold.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Dani B" <5n-_at_dml_g...> wrote:
> Some people would probably feel more like spending $300/$500 in
other
> areas of their cars-such as suspension, engine, etc. Although a
great
> design and idea- This is already being produced, and I feel that
this
> price
> is just too hard on the wallet :/   -DB #5003
>
> --- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "supermattthehero"
<supermatty_at_dml_p...>
> wrote:
> > Trying to see if there is any interest in having more of these
> > made.  The set I had made is anodized aluminum with a brushed
> finish
> > with black powder coat in the recessed sections.  The picture
here
> > is a rendering, though.  These have a threaded M6 stud on the
> > bottom, so if you remove your valence you can attach these with
> nuts
> > and washers.
> > The cost to make more of these is high for low quantities, so if
> > could get an approximation of how many people would be interested
> in
> > purchasing a set of these, it would be awesome.  The price will
> > likely be around $300 for a pair (driver and passenger side).
For

Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 11:14:30 -0500
From: Isaac Grover <ephesys_at_dml_myexcel.com>
Subject: DeLoreans in TV/movies

Hi everyone,

I was watching Beverly Hills Cop with Eddie Murphy yesterday (no, I wasn't
with Eddie) and there's a DeLorean that has a cameo in the movie.  I'm not
sure how far it was into the movie, but Eddie's backing out of a driveway,
and there's a split-second shot of the front left corner of the
DeLorean.  Then as Eddie's car starts driving forward and away down the
road, you almost see the entire car from the front.  The DeLorean is
sitting on the same side of the road Eddie pulls out from.

We all know about BTTF - what other cameos have DeLoreans had in TV and movies?

Isaac

Do you make $100,000 per year?  Do you work from home?
Do you want to?
http://www.globalsuccess2000.com/nonstop_income/opp/flash_opp.html

Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 10:37:15 -0000
From: "anbrahaesl" <anders_at_dml_smartfilm.se>
Subject: Re: LED replacement bulbs

Thanks Johnny!

Great site! Takes a while to work it out, but my list is soon finished!

Anders #10238

Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 05:31:12 -0000
From: "lakelanier20" <derek4567_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Torsion bars needed

Driver's Side:  Ebay auction # 7905032081

-Derek

Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 07:01:02 -0000
From: "bbbigray" <bbbigray_at_dml_insightbb.com>
Subject: Tactical Communication in Large Formation Assault Operations--OpOrd PigForge

Hi List!

My two cents on traveling in groups to Pigeon Forge:

Carry Walkabout-type walkie-talkies for the road.  (Almost all brands
can talk to each other, but watch the sub-frequencies--the cheapies
can't do these.)

Why?

It's easier to pick up joiners along the way without stopping.

Your driving will be far more organized, safer, and your blood
pressure will thank you.

Instructions and distress calls are instantly heard by everyone.
(Much easier than cell-phones, unless you have one continuous
humungous conference call and stock in the phone company, I suppose.)

Radio groups can quickly degenerate into a hairball if everybody
starts gabbing, so some airwave protocol is useful:

     **  Pick a duty pig.  They take all the calls and manage
chatter.  The DP calls for frequency changes if you get
interference.

     **  A freq list is heaven-sent if you become a lost duckie.

     **  When you call, first state the name of the person you're
calling and then state your name; avoid hurtling over the cliff of
confusion.

     **  Push the mike button one second before you talk, and don't
let go till you're done!  (The neighborhood kids often trip on this
one when attempting covert super-soaker operations, much to my
advantage.  All I have to do is listen for the What-Whats and point
the garden hose at the noise.)

     **  Two people cannot talk at once.  Just think of passing
messages through a tube when using radio and all will become clear.

          **  Your mother told you not to interrupt.  Good advice,
unless it's immoral, illegal, or dangerous.

See ya at PF.

--Ray
  10693 and counting.

Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 20:44:40 -0700 (PDT)
From: kevin creason <kcreason77_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: auto parts for sale.

> Just wondering, how much are you asking for your
> Computer Governor?
technically he's a Cyborg Governor.
And I didn't know Arnie drove a DeLo. Does he even fit
in one?

Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 08:04:59 -0000
From: "joeyoseppijoe" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Relay/Fuse Upgrade

I picked up one of those a while ago from the same guy for $149.95,
after looking them over they weren't worth it, sold them to someone
else. After besically having a relay kit from every vendor now, I
can safely say the PJ Grady has the best relay kit available, all
Bosch relays, the fused jumper for the fain fail, and the spade bit
realys are the same style relay. All other make you hack up your
wiring  and solder to install the breakers which just wasn't for me.
Grady's clips on just like the origonals. For the money and quality,
I use Grady's relays.

Just my $0.02 on relay updates

Joe

2524 & 16634

Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 12:56:16 -0000
From: "drdhdmd" <doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Taillight Tinting

Has anyone found a reliable way to restore the orange color of the
turn signal lens? (Other than replacement.)

I found a glass paint that looks good but it needs to be heated to
325F to harden it.

I tried it on a scrap piece of plastic and the color looked good but
the plastic warped.

Any thoughts?

Dave & 6530

Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 09:23:31 -0400
From: "Jason Perkins" <jperkins_at_dml_microsoft.com>
Subject: Is there a Direct Replacement for the Electric rear Antenna?

My rear electric antenna (83) has decided to stop working right before
the big trip.  I know I can purchase one from one of our D vendors, but
I probably wont get to it in time.  Does anyone know of a
cross-reference antenna that would work?

Thanks,
Jason

Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 06:42:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: Rod Dillman <rhdillman_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Ray, Excellent advice. I just printed a copy for my navigator's use. Thanks, Rod

bbbigray <bbbigray_at_dml_insightbb.com> wrote:Hi List!

My two cents on traveling in groups to Pigeon Forge:

Carry Walkabout-type walkie-talkies for the road. (Almost all brands
can talk to each other, but watch the sub-frequencies--the cheapies
can't do these.)

Why?

It's easier to pick up joiners along the way without stopping.

Your driving will be far more organized, safer, and your blood
pressure will thank you.

Instructions and distress calls are instantly heard by everyone.
(Much easier than cell-phones, unless you have one continuous
humungous conference call and stock in the phone company, I suppose.)

[moderator snip]

Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 06:51:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: Rod Dillman <rhdillman_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: LED replacement bulbs

Ryan, Thanks for the feedback. I will get a set of bulbs from Video Bob in PF.

ryanpwright <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com> wrote:Rod,

As others have said, this is a very easy procedure. You don't have to
take the sockets from the door frame - in fact if you do, you won't be
able to get to the bulbs. The colored plastic lens is what you need to
remove. It's held in place by the rubber that runs around it. Simply
use a screwdriver to pry the rubber back and the lens pops right out.
The LEDs are a direct replacement for the bulbs. This is a 5 minute
job max.

[moderator snip]

Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 13:57:27 -0000
From: "Frank" <montlyfool_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: July 4th Car Show Pasadena Texas Convention Center on Sunday

Would like to see a few Deloreans this year...

Trophies will be presented in all classes, and five prestige award
winners will be named. Pasadena Mayor John Manlove will bestow a
mayor's choice award onto his favorite vehicle, and spectators will
have the chance to give their pick the community choice award. Other
awards include best display and best of show.

The city has taken measures to see that this year's car show is
significantly larger than last year's by teaming up with O'Reilly
Auto Parts to make the event attractive to a wider range of 4th Fest
visitors.

Trophies will be presented in all classes, and five prestige award
winners will be named. Pasadena Mayor John Manlove will bestow a
mayor's choice award onto his favorite vehicle, and spectators will
have the chance to give their pick the community choice award. Other
awards include best display and best of show.

Anyone who is interested in entering the car show should contact the
Pasadena Parks and Recreation Department office at (713) 740-7062 to
request an entry form, or visit the office at 3111 San Augustine to
pick one up.

Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 10:38:14 EDT
From: PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: DeLoreans in TV/movies

This was discussed less than a week ago.   Check out Tamir's site at
www.entermyworld.com and click on "D's on TV"   That should answer all of your
questions.

Patrick

Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 09:36:09 -0700
From: "Gary Hull" <Specialty_at_dml_IN2TIME.com>
Subject: DCS Registration and Raffle Tickets

Sunday, June 13, 2004 will be the last day that you will be able to use the
DCS Store to register for the DeLorean Car Show online or to buy DCS Raffle
Tickets online.

You will still be able to Register and buy Tickets at the show in Pigeon
Forge.

DCS Registration: http://registration.deloreancarshow.com

DCS Raffle Tickets: http://raffle.deloreancarshow.com

Thanks!

Gary
IN2TIME

Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 09:13:10 -0700 (PDT)
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Thermotime Switch Question

Hey everyone I have a quick question.

As you all may or may not recall, I recently dug up an
article about jumping the thermotime switch by Bruce
Benson from 03/16/98.  This was an effort to fix a
problem I've been having where my car fires
immediately and stalls immediately.  If I give it a
bit of gas while it fires, the car will idle
perfectly.  So I jumped the plug that goes into the
side of the thermotime switch, and the car will crank
and fire without one hesitation (I did this after it
was "overnight" cold - at least 7 1/2 hours).  Some
owners have told me though through their knowledge of
the cold start system that jumping the plug as
instructed really shouldn't work causing a short or
the engine not to crank.  Everytime I do it though, my
car bounces immediately to life.

Could someone please explain (I don't need a thesis,
just an understanding) what this jump does, and why it
fires the car right up?  I want to understand if I
have a faulty thermotime switch, or if there is
another bug that this procedure is by-passing.  Thank
you everyone.

Jeremiah

http://messenger.yahoo.com/

Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 14:40:32 -0000
From: "johnzd81" <johnzd81_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Taillight Tinting

There are "stained glass" paints (for use on plastics) available at
craft stores (i.e. Franks or Jo Ann Fabrics), look for the ones that
are used for sun catchers as they have some UV filtering additives.

Good luck.

Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 07:45:08 -0700
From: "Gary Hull" <Specialty_at_dml_IN2TIME.com>

You could try using an orange "Sharpie" permanent marker.
Most large office supply stores should carry them. Or...
http://www.buyonlinenow.com/viewproduct.asp?sku=san30006

I just tried a red one on a piece of clear plastic and it went on very
uniformly.

I'm not sure how permanent it would be in this application, but let us know
how well it works if you try it.

Gary
IN2TIME

Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 08:41:45 -0700 (PDT)
From: Rod Dillman <rhdillman_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Caravan from the Northeast

I just talked with the manager at the Red Roof Inn I-81 Exit 150 and he (Tony) agreed to a group rate for the DeLorean car show of $41.00 double occupancy if at least ten rooms are reserved in advance. To make reservations call (540)992-5055. If ten rooms are not reserved the rate will be $49.49. He stressed that to get the $41.00 rate, advance reservations must be made directly with his motel, not through the national toll free number. I hope there will be enough stopping to take advantage of the additional discount, Rod

DmcGman_at_dml_comcast.net wrote:For those interested. I had a few emails about a northeast caravan. Tentative plan from this area is as follows. A few of us will be meeting up at the Steak and Ale Restaurant PArking Lot, by the intersection of Route 70 and
I-295 in Cherry Hill, N.J. on Wednesday June 16th. We will be meeting there at 7:30 am and probably driving straight through or at least close. It is the same meeting point as we did for those who met us there for the drive to Knoxville on the way to Memphis. Anyone who is interested in meeting there, or catching up with us along the way that day, email me privately and I will get a list together and update as we get closer.

Gary Gore
Vice President
DeLorean Mid Atlantic
www.deloreanmidatlantic.com

Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 08:49:28 -0700 (PDT)
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: belt buckles

Marvin

I would take one of either - whichever you decide to
produce.  Keep me posted.

Dick Ryan

http://messenger.yahoo.com/