From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2068
Date: Tuesday, June 15, 2004 3:55 PM

1. Re: DeLorean Manuals Wanted
From: " Toscano" <toscano2_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>

2. Re: Wanted: Completely different brake setup
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

3. Re: car washing at PF?
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

4. Re: Re: Looking for Delorean Manual
From: sand131_at_dml_aol.com

5. Caravan to PF from NJ/PA...
From: "Dan RC30" <danrc30_at_dml_hotmail.com>

6. Re: Need To Join Different Caravan To Pigeon Forge
From: Rod Dillman <rhdillman_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. ANYONE NEEDS A RIDE?
From: John Podlewski <john_podlewski_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. Re: Need To Join Different Caravan To Pigeon Forge (Thr versus Wed)
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

9. RE: Distributor Cap
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

10. Custom Sunstar model
From: "f14dflyer" <f14dflyer_at_dml_comcast.net>

11. RE: Looking for Delorean Manual
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

12. Re: Water Pump Weeping
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

13. Constantly blowing the #1 fuse... help please
From: "joeyoseppijoe" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. Re: Constantly blowing the #1 fuse... help please
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

15. Re: car washing at PF?
From: Eric Itzel <eric_at_dml_seviernet.com>

16. RE: Constantly blowing the #1 fuse... help please
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

17. An Electric DeLorean?
From: "bbbigray" <bbbigray_at_dml_insightbb.com>

18. Re: Constantly blowing the #1 fuse... help please
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

19. Re: Looking for Delorean Manual
From: ttanaka504_at_dml_aol.com

20. RE: An Electric DeLorean?
From: Travis Goodwin <tgoodwin_at_dml_vantagep.com>

21. Re: An Electric DeLorean?
From: "Mark" <mark_at_dml_meninblack.ca>

22. RE: An Electric DeLorean?
From: "Nick Kemp" <nkemp_at_dml_bwig.net>

23. Re: An Electric DeLorean?
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>

24. Re: Vendors and Support (volunteers)
From: "jpg6661" <jg873_at_dml_juno.com>

25. Re: Caravan to PF from NJ/PA...
From: billsfanmd_at_dml_aol.com

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 18:13:55 -0400
From: " Toscano" <toscano2_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: DeLorean Manuals Wanted

To the gentleman who was seeking manual(s):
Nearly 10 years ago I purchased all of mine from a local guy in Charlton,
MA, whom I found through his ad in Hemmings. I don't recall his name, but
his phone numbers as I have them are 508-248-0850 and 800-448-6244. Granted
he only sells commercial reprints and NOT ORIGINALS, but the quality and
binding are top-notch and have withstood the abuse of my restoration of two
DeLoreans and life inside my garage.
Best wishes,
David C. Toscano

Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 23:07:23 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Wanted: Completely different brake setup

Have you ever replaced the handbrake cables? They can prevent the
calipers retracting properly and will cause the pads to rub. This in
turn can generate excessive heat and warp the discs - usually they only
squeak once they've got pretty hot.

In my own experience, really squealy brakes (main ones), are best
approached by new pads and discs at the same time. We've also had
excellent results using kevlar pads for the handbrake, but it might be
an avenue for the main pads too.

Martin
DMUK

Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 21:02:21 -0400
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>
Subject: Re: car washing at PF?

Eric,
Since very few of us know the Pigeon Forge area, is it possible to make
copies of a map and circle where the various car washes are located,
especially close by the hotel. Maybe they can be included with our
registration materials that Ken will be handing out.

Thanks
Dave Sontos

Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 18:14:16 EDT
From: sand131_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: Looking for Delorean Manual

I bought a complete set of 7 Dealer Manuals in 85 from a former dealer in the

Chicago area. Included are black DMC Binders titled:
1. Suggested Warranty Repair Times Manual
2. Service Bulletins
3. Parts Bulletins
4. Technical Service Manual
5. Service Procedures Manual
6. Parts Identification Manual
7. Parts and Accessories Pricing Guide
Regards,
ralph VIN 1606

Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 18:43:42 -0400
From: "Dan RC30" <danrc30_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Caravan to PF from NJ/PA...

Thanks to Rob and his mechanic Pat at PJ Grady, I'll be going to PF. My A/C is now pumping strong! Looks like I'll be leaving early Thursday morning to drive straight to PF. I'll be taking 78 to 81 all the way down. Anyone want to join me?

---Dan

Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 19:56:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: Rod Dillman <rhdillman_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Need To Join Different Caravan To Pigeon Forge

For those who plan to stop on I-81 Exit 150, here are the directions: Use Exit 150A(Troutville/Cloverdale,US220A) ; at the end of the ramp you will enter US220A South,bear left and get in the extreme left lane.Go .2 mile and turn left at the traffic light ,you are now on US11North, Go .2 mile and gas up at Pilot on the right, gas was $1.75 today. You can see the Red Roof sign from the Pilot station. The pilot station is always busy, I would suggest that the caravan go on to the Red Roof to take a streach break and organize even if no one intends to spend the night. They have a huge parking lot and it should not be crowded on Wednesday afternoon. The Red roof is .3 mile from the Pilot on US11N on the left. All distances mentioned are in tenths of a mile.
Keep in mind that in Virginia US 11 parallels I-81 and if you get delayed on I-81 ,any Exit will likely put you on US11. As long as you are proceding South on US-11, you always come back to I-81.
Hank <henry_at_dml_ix.netcom.com> wrote:
Here is our proposed route and timing for our caravan on Wednesday.

http://www.eskin.net/delorean/pf.htm

As Jeremy just posted, we're stopping just south of DC at about 11:30AM.

-Hank

Is anyone else passing near DC on their way?

Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 19:29:45 -0700 (PDT)
From: John Podlewski <john_podlewski_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: ANYONE NEEDS A RIDE?

Due to my work schedule, I'll be coming into Nashville, Airport on early Friday morning around 8:00 A.M and driving the rest of the way 3 1/2 HR.
Leaving mid- morning Sunday.
If anyone needs a lift let me know?

Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 07:51:57 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Need To Join Different Caravan To Pigeon Forge (Thr versus Wed)

I'm looking for a Thursday arrival, not Wednesday, but thanks anyway.

If anyone from the Northeast wants to caravan a day later, let me know
via List on Yahoo (no eMail access).

Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 05:20:08 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Distributor Cap

Scot, The fuel distribution can be unscrewed and lifted up and back getting
you more room. But, What makes you think the cap and rotor and wires is the
problem.
It doesn't sound like it to me.

Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 05:02:06 -0000
From: "f14dflyer" <f14dflyer_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Custom Sunstar model

I've recently posted a couple of questions pertaining to a custom Sunstar m=
odel I've been
working on. Well, I've just finished it. For those who are interested, pics=
 are posted on
Tamir's DeLorean forum here (http://www.entermyworld.com/forum/viewtopic.ph=
p?
p=4519).

SunStar 1:18 RHD DeLorean VIN 5565
Builder: David Jong (Westford, MA)

RHD Modifications:

 Dashboard cut and resectioned.
 Front end redesigned and rebuilt to accept RH steering.
 Stock tail lights removed
 UK-style tail lights and surrounding area fabricated from scratch.
 Stock side markers deleted.
 Round side markers added.
 Rear fog lights and switch added (UK requirement).
 140 MPH speedometer added to new (custom made) instruments decal.
 Roof antenna built from scratch.
 Catalytic converter removed.
 Windshield wipers reversed.
 UK-style license plates fabricated and installed.

Other modifications:

 Fully repainted interior.
 Photo-etched speaker grills added (front and rear).
 Fully painted chassis.
 Engine compartment detailed.
 Custom made engine compartment decals added.
 Throttle splash shield made from scratch.
 Drilled out exhaust tips and A/C vent holes.
 Metal body completely refinished.

VIN 5565 was the the first car in the second of three batches of DeLoreans =
converted to
RHD - at the behest of the factory - by Wooler-Hodec in Andover, England. T=
his car was
originally registered by the factory and received the registration number "=
AXI 1697." It was
assigned for the personal use of Don Lander, the factory's managing directo=
r. VIN 5565 is
(as of 2001) owned by the Patrick Collection in Birmingham, England.

Reference Photos courtesy of Chris Parnham (Secretary, DOC UK)

This model will be entered in the custom model contest at Pigeon Forge.

See you there!
-Dave Jong

Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 05:34:27 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Looking for Delorean Manual

Blacknight. I have the original factory Warranty Repair times manual. It was
published in 10/81 and is the Preliminary original. They say this on the
front page pending the final book. But since the company went out of
business the final wasn't completed.
Keep in mind this the amount of time the company ( DMC ) will reimburse the
dealer for work preformed and may not be the actual time to complete the
job.

Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 08:01:04 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Water Pump Weeping

That's because the front of the engine drops off like a cliff. Back of
the engine has cast in dam where transmission bellhousing mates.

Example: My Renault block is rotted through and leaking pressurized
oil from the upper oil galley in the cast recess for Bearing #3
(passenger side). Spills over other recesses like the Titanic until it
reaches the front of the engine, then runs down either side of the
water pump -- in copius amounts.

Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 09:23:20 -0000
From: "joeyoseppijoe" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Constantly blowing the #1 fuse... help please

For the last week I have been cleaning a Delorean to bring to the PF
concours and as of yesterday I have ran into a snag. The #1 fuse is
on a spree of blowing every time I turn the key past accessory. I've
cleaned all the contacts, checked most all the relays, cleaned all
the fuses, checked all the fuses. I am kind of stumped as to what is
causing the #1 fuse to always blow instantly, sometimes quite
violently. I have tried a 20 amp instead of the regular 10 just to
try to get it to start, but it blows immediately also, even tried a
30 amp once, still no go.

If I can't move the car, however will I get it on a trailer and to
PF?

Anyone know of any tips to stop this fit of fuse destruction without
ANY modifications to the vehicle electricals other than stock?

Thanks for any help, as I am stumped.

Joe O'Brien

2524 & 16634

Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 08:22:31 -0400
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Constantly blowing the #1 fuse... help please

You've got a serious problem my friend. The #1 fuse controls the
ignition/idle run controls. DO NOT put in any bigger fuses. You risk
starting a fire and really screwing things up.

My suggestion is to get yourself a wiring diagram from one of the vendors
and unplug everything on that circuit.

Then start plugging each one back in till you blow the fuse (5 amp) again.

You could start by trying to tracing the green wire from the fuse but it
branches to like a half dozen different points. Look for pinch points, where
something closed down on a wire.

Good Luck
Dave Sontos

Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 09:19:32 -0400
From: Eric Itzel <eric_at_dml_seviernet.com>

Dave

I'll see what I can do about making a map. Trust me, there are plenty of car
washes to choose from around here, especially if you're coming in from the
interstate.

Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 08:10:21 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Joe, Reading the diagram, #1 fuse supplies power to # 8 fuse and # 2 fuse.
So what you have have is a fuse protecting a fuse. #2 and # 8 are mostly
tied into the lights. You could have a hot wire shorted to ground anywhere.

Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 13:01:31 -0000
From: "bbbigray" <bbbigray_at_dml_insightbb.com>
Subject: An Electric DeLorean?

Hi List.

Now here's something you don't see every day dept...

Below is a link to a story in today's Tennessean newspaper.  It reads
in part:

"They carted off 62 items, according to search warrant returns. That
includes bank statements...and an electric DeLorean."

Here's the link--

http://www.tennessean.com/local/archives/04/06/52885989.shtml?
Element_ID=52885989

Just when you thought your head didn't need scratched.

--Ray
  10693 and counting.

BTW, 10693 just rolled in from DeLorean Motor Center, after a two-
year wheels-up resto.  The stainless stork dropped him off yesterday,
he's eaten a whole tank of gas so far (sorry to be slacking, but it
rained most of yesterday,) and his stereo has learned to speak Allman
Brothers already.  Many neighbors have been by to see the new
arrival.  2700 lbs., six ounces.  Hats off to the fabulous work by
Don and Dan!

Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 13:05:44 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

Try unplugging the vacuum solenoid behind the metering head. This can go
bad and will blow #1 fuse. The car can be driven with this unplugged,
but it will pull advance at idle and rev a bit fast. Driving will be
fine, as that only switches on at idle.

Martin

Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 10:30:33 EDT
From: ttanaka504_at_dml_aol.com

          I found out the manual copy(not original) in ebay, and I am
thinking to get.
it if he can ship to Japan...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7905448336&
category=6762

         I want to use it for making rough estimate my work hours and
schedule.
So I think the manual will help me some and the most reason I want is my
interest
about Delorean stuff. It is always happy to know delorean more

Thank anyone who give me very much for advising me

Blacknight

Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 10:06:35 -0400
From: Travis Goodwin <tgoodwin_at_dml_vantagep.com>
Subject: RE: An Electric DeLorean?

It looks like the final chapter in Carl Tilley's desire to defy the laws of
thermodynamics.

In case you didn't know, he states on his website
(http://www.tilleyfoundation.com/):

"After several years of personal accomplishments in the alternative energy
industry, Carl B. Tilley was convinced that it was possible to build an
electric car that could be powered without the help of external power to
keep the battery charged."

Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 10:42:30 -0400
From: "Mark" <mark_at_dml_meninblack.ca>

Wow.. the fuel-efficient, ethical car that was promised.. Who knew? :)

Mark.
VIN: TBA
Lic: (hoping that RUN-DMC isn't already taken in Ontario)

Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 10:28:04 -0500
From: "Nick Kemp" <nkemp_at_dml_bwig.net>

I was just wundering the other day what happened to this guy.

Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 11:30:44 -0400
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>

Hi Ray,

Without visiting your link, I'm going to guess that this is the Tilley
project.  We covered this story in our first and third issues of DCS
magazine.  Interesting story, but unfortunately, revolves around what
appears to be a scam.

As long as you know about the DeLorean Car Show at the end of this week
in Pigeon Forge, I think you'll be okay.  www.deloreancarshow.com.

Hope to see you down there,
Josh

Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 16:00:22 -0000
From: "jpg6661" <jg873_at_dml_juno.com>
Subject: Re: Vendors and Support (volunteers)

-
Ken, If I get there on time I will help with registration, can help
move some cars Sat also.

                John Galik

Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 13:14:19 -0400
From: billsfanmd_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Caravan to PF from NJ/PA...

Let us know what he did. Alot of us are working on our A/C and I like hearing what Rob did (or does) to overhaul and or fix a/c systems...

Mike C