From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2071
Date: Friday, June 18, 2004 1:16 AM

1. polyurethane bushings
From: "vin2105" <phil_at_dml_alessandros120.com>

2. Travel Update and Caravan
From: "Jack Stiefel" <jackstiefel_at_dml_stiefelaluminum.com>

3. Poll results for dmcnews
From: dmcnews

4. Re: An Electric DeLorean?
From: "jmlaux83" <jmlaux83_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. Re: Zachary DeLorean
From: "Brian McCool" <bjmccool_at_dml_comcast.net>

6. Re: Constantly blowing the #1 fuse... help please
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

7. Re: Three brass screws (Please help, I broke my car)
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

8. DOOR LOCKS AGAIN!
From: John Podlewski <john_podlewski_at_dml_yahoo.com>

9. The Resurrection of Vixen Continues...
From: "Dave Stragand" <dave.stragand_at_dml_forwardlook.net>

10. Sandpaper
From: "Ancira Internet Department" <alex_at_dml_ancira.com>

11. Re: polyurethane bushings
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

12. DCS Almost Live Pictures
From: Specialty_at_dml_IN2TIME.com

13. Re: Sandpaper
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

14. Re: polyurethane bushings
From: Phil Priestley <phil_at_dml_alessandros120.com>

15. Whatever happened to....
From: "Mark" <mark_at_dml_meninblack.ca>

16. Re: Re: Relay/Fuse Upgrade
From: "Tom" <tomcio_at_dml_gtemail.net>

17. Re: Sandpaper
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 22:26:34 -0000
From: "vin2105" <phil_at_dml_alessandros120.com>
Subject: polyurethane bushings

I know this has come up before but I didn't pay attention. Are
there polyurethane bushings availble to replace the stock rubber
suspension bushings with?

Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 18:56:16 -0400
From: "Jack Stiefel" <jackstiefel_at_dml_stiefelaluminum.com>
Subject: Travel Update and Caravan

We are currently North of Atlanta, Ga.  Stopped for the evening -- all
interested parties were bushed including 2 year old and 6 month old and
Daddy's eyes lol.  We will be getting on the road in the morning.

The Ram 2500 Hemi pulled the D on my trailer like it wasn't even there.  No
issues!!!  Are looking forward to getting back to PF!

Calling Pizza Hut as I type this and getting into bed, GD I feel old.

Anyone leaving this area at a decent time, give me a shout at 813-951-2628,
who knows we might be able to caravan a few D's out of here.

Jack Stiefel
www.fmtimemachine.com
Direct listen link: www.live365.com/stations/radiocape

Date: 17 Jun 2004 08:03:15 -0000
From: dmcnews
Subject: Poll results for dmcnews

The following dmcnews poll is now closed.  Here are the
final results:

POLL QUESTION: Everyone is exited about the upcoming
show in PIGEON FORGE! I am planning on
driving my Delorean to the show, and I
am curious to see how many others plan
to do so also.
Please take part in the poll so we can
better understand our fellow owners and
know what to expect at the show.
The results could effect the parking
situation! Please select below.

CHOICES AND RESULTS
- I am driving my Delorean to the show, 13 votes, 54.17%
- I am towing my Delorean on an open trailer, 1 votes, 4.17%
- I am towing my Delorean in an enclosed trailer, 2 votes, 8.33%
- I will be driving my "other" car, and am not bringing the Delorean at all., 5 votes, 20.83%
- I am flying to the show, 3 votes, 12.50%

INDIVIDUAL VOTES
- I am driving my Delorean to the show
     - delorean_at_dml_ramblerman.com
     - dmc1288mph_at_dml_yahoo.com
     - mydmc5898_at_dml_yahoo.com
     - louie_at_dml_delorean.com
     - jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net
     - videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com
     - mpolans_at_dml_creeper.com
     - swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com
     - gerenpreiss_at_dml_netscape.net
     - DeLorean5000_at_dml_comcast.net
     - gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com
     - TRWILKE_at_dml_aol.com
     - hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com
- I am towing my Delorean on an open trailer
     - james_at_dml_usadmc.com
- I am towing my Delorean in an enclosed trailer
     - joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com
     - joeyoseppi_at_dml_yahoo.com
- I will be driving my "other" car, and am not bringing the Delorean at all.
     - wbowie_at_dml_sc.rr.com
     - armac_at_dml_rocketmail.com
     - dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com
     - f14dflyer_at_dml_comcast.net
     - supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu
- I am flying to the show
     - pgmlambert_at_dml_yahoo.com
     - spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com
     - yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com

http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/groups/

Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 23:00:25 -0000
From: "jmlaux83" <jmlaux83_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: An Electric DeLorean?

I saw this car a couple of months ago when I did research for buying
my car. But you know what they say "If your going to put an electric
motor in a car, why not do it with some style!" ;)

Jason
2256

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Michael C. Babb" <michael_at_dml_b...>
wrote:
> More pictures of said "Electric DeLorean" are available on
> http://www.tilleyfoundation.com/vehicle.htm
>
> Interesting reading if nothing else.

That
> includes bank statements...and an electric DeLorean."
>
> Here's the link--
>
> http://www.tennessean.com/local/archives/04/06/52885989.shtml?
> Element_ID=52885989
>
> Just when you thought your head didn't need scratched.
>
> --Ray
>   10693 and counting.
[moderator snip]

Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 22:15:52 -0500
From: "Brian McCool" <bjmccool_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Zachary DeLorean

When I went to the Memphis show 2 years ago, I asked Katherine this very
question. At the time, she said he was really into motorcycles and not that
interested in the Delorean or the shows. She said because of his age around
the time of the trial, it affected him much more negatively than it affected
her. He was about 11 or 12, and I do remember reading in one of the books
about John that school kids would write crap like "Zach's dad is a drug
dealer" on the chalk boards. I'm not sure what his current situation is.
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 01:18:43 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Constantly blowing the #1 fuse... help please

Fuse #1 feeds a Green wire junction under the console. That's the best
place to isolate which device has the short, time permitting.

Unfortunately the short will be backfed if you try to bypass it with
that junction intact.

Car can be rigged to run without Fuse #1 (knocks you out of concours,
but at least you'll be there):
- Feed fuel pump directly with a jumper from a hot line in the front
of the car (suggest the windshield washer pump).
- In lieu of idle speed motor use manual circuit (brass screws) or
simply crack open the throttle plates
- May need to unplug the frequency valve and let it fail safe to
constant enrichment. Don't know how the system responds without input
from the RPM relay
- Original door lock module should have been disconnected anyway
- Warm up regulator (CPR) will operate without electricity, albeit
more slowly
- Ignition itself uses very little amperage. Just move the engine
compartment light switch supply line to the ballast resistors right
next to it
- Ignition ECU is tricky only because of the plug. If you don't want
to tap into the Green wire you'll have to pop it out and replace it
with a jumper AND terminal. Use any of the hot lines in the ECU
compartment (antenna, rear courtesy light, disabled idle speed motor, etc)

Car should run like this. May need to adjust CO. Just count the number
of revolutions so you can put it back after the short is solved.

Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 02:52:09 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Three brass screws (Please help, I broke my car)

Refer to A:01:01 and A:01:02 These are the specs for the vacuum
advance and the mechanical advance. You really don't have to adjust
these things, you just check to make sure they are working. What I do
is set the base timing (13 degrees BTDC) at 750 RPM with the vacuum
advance disconnected. After getting the timing set I rev the motor up
and watch the timing mark, it should move some. You can actually
measure it if you want to at the various speeds. Next I reconnect the
vacuum to the vacuum advance and rev the motor up. You should see the
timing mark move a whole lot now with the mechanical AND the vacuum
advance working. Again, you can measure these things if you care to at
the various vacuum settings. Generally if they work at all they are
going to be close. You do not need a distributer tester to check these
things out. A timing light, a tachometer, and a vacuum tester are all
you need. If you get a lot of knocking (pinging) and you know the gas
you are using is good than you may want to actually measure the total
vacuum advance and the points it kicks in to see if that is the
problem. BTW testing the vacuum advance like this checks out the
ENTIRE vacuum advance system. When it is done on a tester you are only
checking the vacuum advance unit on the distributer when you could
have a problem with the vacuum solenoid, the hoses, leaks, or other
things wrong that a tester would not be able to find. For more info
refer to D:08:01 on the vacuum advance.

Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 19:28:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: John Podlewski <john_podlewski_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: DOOR LOCKS AGAIN!

My PAX. DOOR look does not seem to throw the driver door lock in either position lock or unlock inside or outside on the pax. door!   The contact switch seems to be making CONTACT on the pax. door!  Other than that the door locks work fine, any suggestions before the show? Thanks.

Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 00:23:24 -0400
From: "Dave Stragand" <dave.stragand_at_dml_forwardlook.net>
Subject: The Resurrection of Vixen Continues...

Hi All,

Well, Juley & I are both exhausted.  The car is packed, and we leave in
about 4 hours.

I'd like to say the car is done, but the one thing we didn't get a chance to
do enough of is road test.  We've only put a couple of hours driving in
since the car has been reassembled.  I guess the trip to PF is the finishing
touch on the restoration.  Then we'll call it completed.

I'm nervous as heck, and have the whole trunk wedged with tools and spare
parts, "just in case".  I do have faith in my abilities, but with two years
passing since I last did the major work... and five years since I started...
Well, I guess I just fear that I've forgotten to tighten an important bolt
or the like.  I KNOW I forget things.  I just hope I haven't forgotten any
BIG things.

Keep your fingers crossed for us please, and we hope that everyone has a
safe trip.  "See you in Pigeon Forge!"

-Dave Stragand
VIN #05927
http://www.projectvixen.com

Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 23:26:44 -0500
From: "Ancira Internet Department" <alex_at_dml_ancira.com>
Subject: Sandpaper

I know this has come up before, but I cant find it. I need to blend some
panels, and I have the blending pads, but I still have a shine. What is
the sandpaper that should be used to get it back to the dull luster?
Thanks! Hope everyone is having fun, wish I could be there!

Alex Wolf

Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 09:35:59 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: polyurethane bushings

They are for the rear

Martin

Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 11:01:13 -0400
From: Specialty_at_dml_IN2TIME.com
Subject: DCS Almost Live Pictures

I will be posting "Almost Live" pictures on the DeLorean Car Show website once
or twice a day, and we are also trying to set up a live web cam for several of
the events.

If you have a site where you are posting a lot of DCS pictures, please let me
know and I will link to it from the DCS site.

Gary
IN2TIME

Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 14:26:45 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Sandpaper

You use the blending pad AFTER you use the sandpaper. Use the
Sandpaper to take out any scratches. I use #80 but you may want to go
with #120 till you get experience staying straight with the grain.
Once you have the surface scratched (grained) with the sandpaper you
go over it with the blending pad to smooth it out. You will notice
right after you do this the surface will seem too shiny. It takes
several days for the shine to go away. My theory is the surface
oxidizes slightly when in contact with the air. You will also find
that once you do one panel you will want to go on to the next and then
the next until you have done the whole car. This way the whole car
looks even. I guess it is a good thing that the car is small! If the
car isn't very scratched up and you can do 1 panel a day it won't take
very long. I also recomend you place masking tape on the facia and the
rub strip so you don't damage them with the sandpaper or blending pad.
You can also place a strip of masking tape on the panel as a guide to
keep you straight with the grain. You MUST go straight!!!. It is a
natural tendancy to curve as you reach the ends of your strokes so you
have to take extra care to go straight. Some people use a cleaner with
the blending pad. I find it works either way, with or without. I
prefer to do it "dry". I think it is faster and less messy. Unless you
have deep scratches, creases, or dents, you can make the panels look
like brand new! Stay away from the glass and Keep the pressure light
and even on the hood.
Use the cleaner after you are all done to remove all the black dust.
Do not wax. For a quick clean-up in between I use windex for dirt and
fingerprints.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Ancira Internet Department"

Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 08:48:37 -0700
From: Phil Priestley <phil_at_dml_alessandros120.com>

Thanks Martin. Where can I find them?
Phil Priestley
Alessandros 120
http://alessandros120.com/
(503)370-9951

Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 15:36:00 -0400
From: "Mark" <mark_at_dml_meninblack.ca>
Subject: Whatever happened to....

Hey all.

I was reading an interview awhile back with Kiss guitarist Ace Frehley.  He
mentioned in it that he was in an accident in 1981/82 in a DeLorean... just
wondering if anybody has this car or know what happened to it?

Mark...
VIN: TBA

Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 22:14:40 +0200
From: "Tom" <tomcio_at_dml_gtemail.net>
Subject: Re: Re: Relay/Fuse Upgrade

Hello Joe and all the others....

I don't understand how you can judge a kit like this just by looking at it.
I can tell you that I have one of those kits in my DeLorean without ANY
problems whatsoever. When I installed those relays I noticed that some
lights got brighter, 4th speed on my blower came back and everything else
electrical seemed like it got a new life! I am very happy with this kit.
Besides, did you notice that this guy is selling an ALL Bosch kit now? It
can't be all junk like you said. Check it out for yourself:
http://tinyurl.com/36aum
I got his first kit in my car and I'm very happy. This kit seems to be even
better.
What more do you need? All the relays, circuit brakers and fuses.

Joe do you have some personal issues with the person selling those kits on
eBay? I don't see how else you could criticize this great kit.

Happy customer with new relays and fuses
Tom Niemczewski
tomcio_at_dml_gtemail.net

From: "joeyoseppijoe" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 17:08:33 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

You will notice
> right after you do this the surface will seem too shiny. It takes
> several days for the shine to go away. My theory is the surface
> oxidizes slightly when in contact with the air.
<SNIP>

That's not theory, that really is what happens. Stainless steel
oxidizes (like rust) when exposed to the atmosphere. However, in a
nutshell, the Chromium in stainless oxidizes to the surface and
creates a very thin film. This then seals the steel, and prevents
further oxidation. In the process, the stainless will become darker.
I'm not 100% sure if this is because you're now looking at the
oxidized layer itself, or if it's so thin that it's transparent, and
filters light. But rest assured, that it will match the rest of the
car within a week's time.

When performing touch-up work, you MUST resist the urge to make the
entire car have a universal sheen. Forget handprints, that's the
hardest part of maintaining the metal finish on your car!