From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2080
Date: Wednesday, June 23, 2004 1:48 PM

1. Another hard starting case
From: "Dani B" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

2. Northeast Exotic Car Show/ June 19-Photo Shoot
From: "Jeff Torrey\\" <jefftorrey_at_dml_Comcast.net>

3. Unusual Vacuum Leak
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

4. RE: Re: DCS event frequency
From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>

5. P.F. 2004 and idle seizing pulleys
From: "dom1172" <dom_diaz_at_dml_hotmail.com>

6. Oil pan gasket cross reference?
From: "supermattthehero" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

7. RE: Raffle car winner
From: "Michael C. Babb" <michael_at_dml_babbtechnology.com>

8. Why Project Delorean wasn't at Pigeon Forge (long)
From: Steve Stankiewicz <protodelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

9. Doc Brown T-Shirts
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

10. Re: Raffle car winner
From: Noah <sitz_at_dml_onastick.net>

11. Re: 2 cars spotted I-39 Northbound
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

12. DeLorean Sighting I-15
From: "Mike" <mquinto_at_dml_comcast.net>

13. Re: Steering Wheel Removal
From: "Dani B" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

14. Re: Oil pan gasket cross reference?
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

15. Re: Oil pan gasket cross reference?
From: "Dani B" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

16. Re: Raffle car winner
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

17. Re: Unusual Vacuum Leak
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

18. Car Show in Pasadena Texas - Pasadena Convention Center July 4th, 2004
From: "Frank" <montlyfool_at_dml_yahoo.com>

19. Re: accident
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

20. Re: Doc Brown T-Shirts
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

21. Shipping a Delorean
From: "wannadelorean" <mcquinlan_at_dml_cfl.rr.com>

22. Re: accident
From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>

23. RE: accident
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

24. Re: Installing an iPod into a DeLorean??
From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>

25. Re: Re: Oil pan gasket cross reference?
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 00:22:51 -0000
From: "Dani B" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Another hard starting case

I slowly developed a hard starting problem. The car will start fine if
I drive it, and turn it off "hot", and minutes or an hour later go
back
to start it again. The problem is when I leave it overnight, and come
back to it at 5 after work-my habbit is to turn the key on and let the
pump start up, then crank. It takes me a few tries where I have to
stop cranking after about 10 seconds, usually when I let the key go
and stop cranking I will hear the engine turn over a few cylinders and
cut off. Then I'll crank again and the engine will slowly turn over
and run. It always starts eventually, but this is an annoying problem
and seems to slowly be getting worse. Any ideas? Dani B. #5003

Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 20:54:48 -0400
From: "Jeff Torrey\\" <jefftorrey_at_dml_Comcast.net>
Subject: Northeast Exotic Car Show/ June 19-Photo Shoot

http://grandprixnick.250free.com/

Above is the link from the New England Viper Club's Exotic Car Show 2004- PHOTOS.

I hope to plan the schedule better next year to include a bunch of Deloreans.

Looks like you guys had a great time at your National Event.

Regards,-Jeff T

Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 03:45:16 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Unusual Vacuum Leak

I am working on another car today and had to remove the intake
manifold. After I removed it I noticed the knock-out plug on the front
right side was deformed to the point that you could see a large leak.
I figured out that at one point someone must have used too long a
screw to fasten the air cleaner on. If you do that in the front-most
position  the screw will touch the knock-out plug and bend it. This is
one you could never see until you remove the intake manifold. It is
also a lesson to always try to use the correct length bolts. Sometimes
things are held together with varying length bolts. You MUST note the
correct positions for each so you do not put a long one in a short
spot and vice versa. In this case even if you put the correct bolt in
after using the wrong bolt the damage will be done. A quick way to
inspect for this leak is to remove the "W" pipe and while having
someone hold a flash light pointing at the knock-out plug look inside
for any sign of light. This will cause the whole right side to run
lean, especially the front cylinder. It will also keep you from
getting the idle right or being able to properly set up the mixture.
Another big problem area is the brass idle motor pipe where it goes
into the mixture unit. If not done carefully the "O" ring seal gets
damaged and leaks. I also see a lot of cars that do not have a plug in
the hole over the mixture screw. I cannot overstress the importance of
finding and fixing ALL of the  vacuum leaks if you want to get the
motor to run right.

Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 07:41:32 -0400
From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>
Subject: RE: Re: DCS event frequency

Yep...and Mid Atlantic Club has two large events every year that anyone
is invited to attend....

There are always lots of local club activites that make owning your car
a fun experience!

Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 12:50:12 -0000
From: "dom1172" <dom_diaz_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: P.F. 2004 and idle seizing pulleys

This could be a long message if I let it be but I will TRY and keep
it short. Pigeon Forge was awesome, my wife an I thoroughly enjoyed
ourselves (aside from when the idle pulley seized and the belt
snapped on the way up with approx. 6 hours left to go in the trip -
read: 95 degrees, hot & humid). When we arrived a 'crack' team of
Delorean experts descended on the car and began the repair work. I
would have been back up that night but we had to wait for the part to
get in, as it was we were back on the road the next day - WITH A/C.
Anyway, a very public THANK YOU to the folowing people for helping
out/providing parts:

Marty Meier (I'm glad I parked next to you, you started it all)
Dennis (sorry, can't remember the last name)
James Espey (DMC houston flew the part in for me the next day,
literally)
Stephen Wynne (see above)
Tamir (it was good chatting and hanging out, good luck over the next
few months)
Knut Grismud (nice to meet you and appreciate the support you provide
the D community in general)
John Hervey (all the good phone advice and support over the weekend)
Jeff Porter, Dave and Juley, and Dan and Judy Plakosh (for being my
local 'support' group, putting up with me on the way home, and being
an all around good group of folks)

I'm sure I left people out, it was great to put some faces to names
and I look forward to seeing you all in Pheasant Run!!

Dom

Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 16:00:59 -0000
From: "supermattthehero" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>
Subject: Oil pan gasket cross reference?

Boo all you want.  Does anyone know what the DeLorean oil pan gasket
crosses over to?  I want to get one locally so I can finish putting
my engine back in my car, and hopefully for less than $34.

thanks,

Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 09:24:07 -0400
From: "Michael C. Babb" <michael_at_dml_babbtechnology.com>
Subject: RE: Raffle car winner

Yes, yes!!!  I want to be able to try again in 2 years!

Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 06:49:04 -0700 (PDT)
From: Steve Stankiewicz <protodelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Why Project Delorean wasn't at Pigeon Forge (long)

To anyone who's been following my project on
projectdelorean.com, if you were at the show, you may
have noticed that 02650 wasn't there.  : (  (I can't
begin to tell you how disappointed I was not to be
able to bring it.)  I'd like to fill you in on exactly
why it wasn't there.

For the past two months, I'd been scrambling to get
the car ready for the show.  Throughout May, I'd been
working until at least midnight 6 days a week to get
it ready.  I used a spreadsheet detailing every task
to be completed that helped keep me organized and
working in a logical sequence, but estimating the time
these tasks would take would be one of my downfalls.
As of the end of April, the "plan" was to have the D
FINISHED.  I'd registerred for the show, all three
days, reserved my room and a u-haul rental trailer.
Hmmm.  Just a couple of weeks into May, it became
evident that totally completing the D would not be
possible.  So I revised my goals, by eliminating the
painting.  The goal was to have the new interior
complete and body complete but just in primer.  Parts
were being delivered nearly every day, but the
bodywork was taking much longer than anticipated.  By
the end of May, it became obvious that there was no
way to get the interior completed.  So again the goal
was revised, this time eliminating the interior so
that I would just finish the body, in primer and take
that to the show.  By now, I'm running on an average
of 3-4 hours sleep.  (Several times, I showered before
bed and when I got up for work the bathroom floor had
not even dried.)

After hearing how much I'd been scrambling, my father
and brother offered to lend a hand.  They each drove a
half hour every day to meet me when I got home from
work to help with the project.  Without their help, I
never would have had a prayer.  (Thanks guys!)

So now we're into June.  Essentially two weeks left
and there still isn't a completed body panel on the
car.  That's not to say that things weren't getting
done, but sequencing here is very important to prevent
either scratching a finished part or just having to
take parts on and off unnecessarily.  As of 1 week
before the show, I had the quarter panels mounted, no
windshield, no fascias and the hood/fenders still
needed to be completed.

Flash to Wednesday, June 16th.  Windshield's in,
fenders and hood are on.  Front and rear fascias are
not yet finished.  (One of the main items that always
drove the schedule was waiting for fiberglass to cure.
 Once a fiberglass part was layed up, it wasn't until
the next day until you could sand and finish it.)  I'd
have to finish the bodywork on the remaining parts
Wednesday night, then primer and install them Thursday
morning.  That part went as planned, but the few
remaining details held me up until about noon for
final assembly.  Finally, it was done!

I went to pickup the trailer and brought it back to
the house.  As we backed the D out of the garage, my
brother began jumping up and down and waving his arms
(not in a good way).  As I turned the wheel, the front
tire was seriously rubbing the fender.  Back into the
garage with it and in no more that 15 mins we had both
front shocks out and made some ride height
adjustments.  Backing it out a second time, same
problem.  Back into the garage, front wheels off and
this time we decided that rolling the fender lips
would be all we needed for now.  That done, we backed
the car out a third time.  (By now, it's about 5:30PM
and we had planned on leaving at about 8:00 AM)  This
time we made it out of the garage and prepared to
drive up onto the trailer when something just didn't
look right.  The trailer didn't look wide enough.  A
couple of measurements with the tape measure confirmed
my fears.  The u-haul trailer wasn't wide enough to
accomodate the now wider 02650.  At first it looked
like we just needed to get over the channels that the
tires ride in and we considered blockin up with wood,
but then my brother pointed out the HUGE ( 6 inches
tall) taillights that were WELDED (would have removed
if bolted) onto the ends of the channels.  There was
no way to get over them.  : (  This trailer simply
would not work.  We evaluated our options and began
calling around to see if we could get a tow-dolly
instead, but at almost 6:00 PM., we couldn't get an
answer anywhere.  Devastating.

So there I stood.  Exhausted, physically and
emotionally.  With a Delorean that was ready to go,
but no way to get it to the show.  Months of work and
planning, not only by me, but also my father and
brother have come down to a few inches of clearance.
(That's not to mention the patience of my wife who
practically hadn't seen me in two months.)  Finally I
had to make the call.  This wasn't going to be 02650's
day.  We'd take some pictures, then put her away,
return the trailer, get a good night's sleep (first in
a long time) and leave for the show early Friday
morning.  It wouldn't be the same without having my D
there, but there were too many friends I'd made on the
DML that I'd finally have a chance to meet.  After
all, it really is the PEOPLE that make this Delorean
community so rewarding to be a part of.  I had a great
time.  Ken, I can't begin to tell you how much we
enjoyed the show and how well you're team did at
pulling everything together.  Thank You!

As for Project Delorean, well it's not done yet!  It
obviously won't take two years to complete, so now
I'll have more time to get the website updated, (There
are tons of details and snags we hit that I haven't
mentioned here, but will cover on the site.)

Counting down until Chicago,

=====
Steve

VIN 2650 ("Project Delorean")
www.projectdelorean.com

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 10:29:16 EDT
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Doc Brown T-Shirts

For those of you that wish to purchase a Dock Brown doesn't drive
........Mustang
shirt they will be available throught the web in the next day or so

Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 10:10:47 -0400
From: Noah <sitz_at_dml_onastick.net>

On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 10:50:40AM -0400, kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com wrote:

> And what do you think
> Would you like to do another raffle car
> Yes or No

Absolutely yes. =)

Noah
2867 ('cause jenn needs one...)

Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 14:06:18 EDT
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: 2 cars spotted I-39 Northbound

In a message dated 6/21/04 1:15:02 PM Central Daylight Time,
mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net writes:

> We passed a pair of D's (one with N-Dak plates and one with Minn collector
> plates) northbound on I-39 about an hour south of Rockford.  We were
> travelling with the red Lotus Elan convertible.  Hope you passed the leak test...
>
> Mike

Mike,

That would have been Jim Reeve and I (another North Dakota DeLorean?
Impossible (almost)!!!!!  If you ever see a D with ND plates, it is almost definitely
mine.

As for the leak test, I had no problems whatsoever.  thankfully I replaced my
inner door seal two days before leaving for PF.

That Lotus Elan was not in our group (though he was from MN).  Very nice car,
they waved at us too.  i would have liked to have talked to the owner a bit.

Did you see the Ferrari's coming from Indianapolis?  We saw two 308GTS's and
a white Testarossa in the other lane.

Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 04:07:49 -0000
From: "Mike" <mquinto_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: DeLorean Sighting I-15

Hi List,
 Leaving Los Angeles going to St. George, Utah on Friday the 18th.
Just outside of Barstow I was passed by a DeLorean. I tried to keep
up with it but couldn't. I thought the plate said, 8T8MPH.
I was hoping that he or she would have stopped in Baker to refuel.
I wanted to bombard him or her with BTTF questions. Then tell 'em
I'm an owner. Maybe next time.

Mike
Vin#1113
OUDATYM

Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 15:30:36 -0000
From: "Dani B" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Re: Steering Wheel Removal

I will need to do the same thing soon. Unfortunitly PJ Grady's
steering racks aren't built to just put in the car and have the
steering wheel line up straigh. It is a pain when you have the
steering wheel as if your making a right hand turn and the car is
straigh, especially when it comes to your signals! Anyway, let me know
how it goes with the 6MM. Thanks -Dani B. #5003

Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 15:37:03 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Oil pan gasket cross reference?

Later model Volvo. Try 260/760 series after 1980. 1970's PRV (Volvo
ap) had much smaller oil pan.

FWIW: John Hervey's is competitively priced ($20) and allows you to
keep money in the DeLorean community. I'm 3 day delivery from him via
USPS, believe it or not.

Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 15:43:41 -0000
From: "Dani B" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

Unfortunitly I don't think there is a referenced gasket for this. If
you are concerned about price, you can get one for 20 bucks at
SpecialT, it may be even lower at other vendors store sites. Sometimes
its a pain not being able to go to Advance and pick up a few needed
parts! Dani B #5003

Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 10:11:06 -0500
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

Ken how about starting a poll on the DML on what we liked and disliked
about the show so you can fine tune it for the next show.

I enjoyed everything you had to offer and even the surprises.

Yes i would like to see another raffle car and this time i will have
the cash to buy a ticket.

P.S. please don't invite Joe Charter back, i thought he was awful.

Mark V

On Wednesday, June 23, 2004, at 09:10  AM, Noah wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 10:50:40AM -0400, kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com wrote:
>>
>> And what do you think
>> Would you like to do another raffle car
>> Yes or No
>
> Absolutely yes. =)
>
> Noah
> 2867 ('cause jenn needs one...)

Come see all of my Photo's at my Website's
http://groups.msn.com/DMCPhotos/shoebox.msnw
http://photos.yahoo.com/snextime
http://www.exoticrides.com/galleries/showgallery.php?ppuser=57

Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 15:44:09 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Unusual Vacuum Leak

Actually the passenger intake rail feeds cylinders 4-6. Minor point,
but the owner might not notice if he examined passenger plugs for
leak. I've uploaded a pic of vacuum leak damaged plugs to #5939's
photo album if anyone's curious what it does (just like dialing up
oxygen on an acetylene torch).

Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 15:51:52 -0000
From: "Frank" <montlyfool_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Car Show in Pasadena Texas - Pasadena Convention Center July 4th, 2004

Talking about all these shows, I thought I would bring this to the
front again. The show is in 2 weeks and on a Sunday. If you are in
the area and would like to enter into the show, please register and
enjoy. Not only a Delorean, but other cars are welcome. The bigger
the show, the more the sponsors. Call and they will fax you a form.
Bring the family and enjoy the fireworks.

Auto show expected to be 4th Fest highlight

>From low-rider cars to towering Hummers, no type of automobile is to
be excluded from an upcoming car show at 4th Fest, the city's annual
July 4 celebration at the Pasadena Convention Center and
Fairgrounds.

Although rain forced a low turnout at last year's event, the first
ever, the car show managed to draw a considerable crowd on its own.
Car show coordinator Kenneth Woolford attributes that to the high
number of auto show fans in the community.

"We hope for a large turnout. I know there are a lot of car show
enthusiasts who, even last year, were willing to stay until the show
was over," Woolford said.

The city has taken measures to see that this year's car show is
significantly larger than last year's by teaming up with O'Reilly
Auto Parts to make the event attractive to a wider range of 4th Fest
visitors.

As adults check out the diverse collection of cars and trucks on
display, children and teens can play arcade-style racing games
sponsored by O'Reilly.

About 50 vehicles were entered in last year's car show, and Woolford
is expecting more this year, especially since the free festival
falls on a Sunday this year.

The car show is an open class show that will attract "everything
from hot rods to stock cars and trucks, from pre-1940 to 2004," he
said.

Trophies will be presented in all classes, and five prestige award
winners will be named. Pasadena Mayor John Manlove will bestow a
mayor's choice award onto his favorite vehicle, and spectators will
have the chance to give their pick the community choice award. Other
awards include best display and best of show.

With such a broad range of categories, Woolford said it is
impossible to predict what types of cars and trucks will roar into
the convention center parking lot on July 4.

Last year's best display award winner provided a stark contrast to
the many sporty vehicles parked alongside it. The elaborately
painted truck could be best described as a "moving" tribute to Elvis
Presley, Woolford said.

Woolford hopes that the community's many car clubs will take part in
this event, and the show will offer first, second and third place
plaques for car club participation.

Children will also be given the opportunity to participate, as a
model car show featuring miniature die-cast and plastic vehicles
will be judged.

Registration for the car show is $15 per vehicle in advance, $20 per
vehicle the day of the show. The first 50 people who enter will
receive gift bags full of items donated by local businesses.

Although the festival does not begin until 4 p.m., the gates will
open at 1 p.m. for car show participants to begin setting up and
detailing their vehicles.

Judging will take place between 3:30 and 6:30 p.m., with the
presentation of awards following at 7 p.m.

Throughout the day, spectators will be able to purchase raffle
tickets as they check out the cars, with prizes like a 26-inch
mountain bike and a barbecue pit.

"All of the money that we raise is going to a good cause," Woolford
explained. "It is going to benefit the Pasadena Parks and Recreation
Department scholarship fund."

Anyone who is interested in entering the car show should contact the
Pasadena Parks and Recreation Department office at (713) 740-7062 to
request an entry form, or visit the office at 3111 San Augustine to
pick one up.

Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 15:44:47 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Re: accident

Another owner here in Vegas had something simular to him happen. I'll
let him go into details, and price costs if he wants to share those.
But from what I saw on his car, the damage wasn't that bad at all,
and never touched the underbody from what I remember. He removed the
panel, and sent it over to our local body guy who has experience with
DeLorean collision repair. The guy banged the dent out, and
refinished the panel. After a new marker light was installed, I
couldn't even tell that the quarter panel had ever been removed, let
alone repaired.

Under body damage isn't as big a problem as you'd think. With the
body panels "skinned" across the underbody, it like driving a giant
truck bed that's been turned inside out. And if the underbody does
happen to be damaged, I don't think that it's something that couldn't
be repaired. Especially after seeing the repair done to Joseph
Molino's car. If nothing else, remove the charcoal canister, and
check inside the pontoon for damage. I'll put money down that you
won't find a thing happened from this collision.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "brucedduncan" <bduncan_at_dml_v...> wrote:
> 1265 was hit as she sat in front of my house.  the lady accorss the
> street's minivan rolled down her driveway and right into the d's
> driver's rear quarter panel.  The damage appears to be confined to
> below the marker light...but who knows if the fiberglass is
damaged.
> She has allstate insurance and I go for the estimate tommorrow.
Could

Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 15:58:55 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Doc Brown T-Shirts

Can we order them printed on the back like Kathryn's?

Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 16:07:13 -0000
From: "wannadelorean" <mcquinlan_at_dml_cfl.rr.com>
Subject: Shipping a Delorean

I'm shopping for a Delorean and I'm finding that most of the nice
ones I'm interested in are no where near me.  I'm in Orlando, Fl.
I'm wondering if anyone out there has had experience with shipping a
vehicle 2000-3000 miles.  I know people that have had vehicles
shipped due to work relocation and I haven't heard a good story
yet.  In all cases they car arrives with some damage or unexplained
miles or both.  I'm also trying to get an idea of cost so I can work
this into the overall cost of acquiring a Delorean.  I'm a little
leary about flying to pick up a car and have my first drive be 2000-
3000 miles back to home base.  Shipping seems to be the best option.

Also, personal preference aside, is there any difference in long
term reliability between the Deloreans automatic vs. manual
transmission?

Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 17:02:07 -0000
From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>

Bruce,

Terribly sorry to hear about this. :(

I am looking forward to seeing the answers to your questions, however.
If something like this happened to my DeLorean, I would not let anyone
other than one of our vendors fix it. I am sure insurance companies do
not like this and would attempt to force you to take it to a local
body shop.

What laws or other policies do we have on our side when things like
this happen? Can we force these insurance companies to pay to have our
vendor of choice repair the car, including transport costs? Seems to
me that only a small handful of people in the world are actually
qualified to do this, and taking it down to Joe's Random Body Shop
should not even be entertained as an option.

-Ryan

Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 11:31:31 -0500
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

We have discussed insurance on here a ton,
and myself have been through this gut wrenching job on my car.
Your lucky really, the rear quarter panel in easy, and if it is below the
marker then there
may not be much fiberglass damage if any.

If you are going to actually have Houston do the work, they will be happy to
help you
otherwise they will not be interested in giving estimates.

You can use thier website as a reference, print out the entire page and show
it to the
adjuster. Don't forget to add in EVERYTHING, the glass, the marker lights,
seals, brackets,
and anything else you can think of.
Explain that it MUST be replaced and can not be repaired.
They will not argue the parts costs as much as they will the LABOR RATE and
HOURS.

If you do the work yourself you could pocket a lot of extra money.
If you are not confident enough to pull it off, then insist they ship it to
Houston for you.
- Videobob

Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 16:53:44 -0000
From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>
Subject: Re: Installing an iPod into a DeLorean??

I'm confused. Why would you want to do this? The BMW adapter is only
news because it allows you to control your iPod with the existing
stereo system's steering wheel controls. Thus the iPod can be hidden
away. The DeLorean doesn't have steering wheel controls, so what would
you do with it?

Furthermore, this isn't something that could be reverse engineered. It
sits on a proprietary "network" and is designed specifically to talk
to the systems in a BMW. Unless you transplanted a BMW stereo &
steering wheel controls into your DeLorean, you'd be out of luck on this.

Currently your only options for an iPod in a DeLorean are:

1. A line-in of some sort (cassette deck on the Craig, or a direct
line-in on an aftermarket stereo).

2. An FM transmitter like the iTrip.

The above options require you to control the iPod at the iPod, or use
a remote designed for the iPod (there are several available - Apple
includes a wired remote with most iPods and wireless remotes can be
purchased aftermarket). If you must control the iPod from the buttons
on your head unit, there are two options:

1. Dension ICE Link and a compatible aftermarket stereo.

2. Wait for Alpine to release their iPod interface. You'll need an
Alpine stereo to do this.

The biggest problem with most of these solutions is the size of the
head unit's screen. Most head units don't have a big enough screen to
effectively scroll through playlists, etc. Also, there are major cost
issues with getting the iPod to do this (the ICE Link, for example,
only lets you control the iPod. It doesn't display the song info on
the stereo). Essentially you need to build a box that can talk "iPod"
and "head unit." The iPod uses a standard firewire interface, but
every head unit manufacturer uses a different bus architecture so
you'd need to build a dozen or more different interfaces. Then there's
the hardware & software required to pass information back and forth
between the two devices at a high rate of speed. It's not a trivial
nor cheap matter to build an embedded device like this, unfortunately.

-Ryan

Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 18:38:22 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Re: Oil pan gasket cross reference?

To my knowledge, Volvo bottom end is completely different. It's a
Renault part. Got two recently actually.

Martin