From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2081
Date: Wednesday, June 23, 2004 7:19 PM

From: "Kevin Milliken" <kevin.milliken_at_dml_btinternet.com>

From: "Payne" <bpayne_at_dml_macnet.com>

From: "supermattthehero" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

From: Noah <sitz_at_dml_onastick.net>

From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

From: ComposerZelgadis_at_dml_aol.com

From: William T Wilson <fluffy_at_dml_snurgle.org>

8. Re: accident
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

9. Music for DCS 2006
From: "Hank" <henry_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>

10. Re: Re: accident
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

11. how to change the pan oil ?
From: "dreamdmc" <dominique.flandin_at_dml_wanadoo.fr>

12. RE: Installing an iPod into a DeLorean??
From: Andrew <aos+yahoo_at_dml_boom.net>

13. Re: Fuel System problems
From: "Mike Polzin" <MPolzin_at_dml_sen.com>

14. Re: how to change the pan oil ?
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com

15. Re: how to change the pan oil ?
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

16. Re: Music for DCS 2006
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

17. TOBY-TAB's are IN!
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com

18. Re: Re: Doc Brown T-Shirts
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 16:58:57 +0100
From: "Kevin Milliken" <kevin.milliken_at_dml_btinternet.com>
Subject: RE: Oil pan gasket cross reference?

Hi Matt

I think you will find it is from Renault R30

Regards

Kevin

Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 10:35:51 -0700
From: "Payne" <bpayne_at_dml_macnet.com>
Subject: Re: Another hard starting case

I just developed a similar problem and couldn't figure out why.  If I leave
the car for more than 3 hours, it will be difficult to start.  Especially
overnight, I have to crank it for a long time.  Yet if I come back in a few
minutes to an hour or so it will start immediately.

I think I have found the problem though.  I was examining the plug that
connects to the cold start valve.  It has always been bent over rather
sharply and I noticed the rubber was cracked above the plastic plug.  The
wire insulation had separated as well and two wires were pulled apart.  A
similar problem developed on the plug that goes to my idle speed motor.  So
far I haven't heard of this happening to anyone else, but you may want to
see if this is causing your problem.  Someone else on this list can probably
tell you an easy way to test this, I don't want to steer you wrong.

Brandon Payne
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 17:19:19 -0000
From: "supermattthehero" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

I should have looked a little harder.

Picked one up at Advance Auto Parts for $12.84.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "supermattthehero" <supermatty_at_dml_p...>

Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 13:43:06 -0400
From: Noah <sitz_at_dml_onastick.net>
Subject: Re: Shipping a Delorean

On Wed, Jun 23, 2004 at 04:07:13PM -0000, wannadelorean wrote:
> I'm shopping for a Delorean and I'm finding that most of the nice
> ones I'm interested in are no where near me.

[snip]

> I'm a little
> leary about flying to pick up a car and have my first drive be 2000-
> 3000 miles back to home base.  Shipping seems to be the best option.

I mentioned this a year or two ago, but more folks have joined the list
since then. When I was shopping for my car, I flew out to see them/test
drive them. One in TX and one in CA (I'm near DC). When I decided, I
flew down, picked it up, and drove it back.

However. =)

I had my car shipped to Houston, where some work was done, and then went
and got it. That said, the work was more cosmetic than anything else;
The car I bought at 32k on the clock, and was driven fairly regularly
by the previous (and original) owner. YMMV.

If you're going to ship, others on the list likely have more experience
and can make recommendatins as to carriers. My recommendation is for one
that you've heard good things about, ships in an enclosed container, and
has plenty of insurance. =)

Of course, you could always rent a truck and an enclosed trailer...

--noah

Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 17:54:08 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

I would start out by checking the operation of the cold start valve
system. Check if it is getting power when it is cold and the engine is
cranking. If it is then it could be dirty or stuck or burnt out.
Another system is the bypass relay in the primary ignition system. It
is supposed to bypass part of the ballast resistor when starting for a
hotter spark when cranking. Check the white resistor on the firewall
that the connections are clean and tight and the relay is also clean
and tight and working. An old, weak battery can also be part of the
problem along with old wires, worn spark plugs, vacuum leaks, dirty,
old cap and rotor. In other words, maybe it's time for a tune-up?

Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 13:54:43 EDT
From: ComposerZelgadis_at_dml_aol.com

This is something I've been rather curious about myself.  I live on  Marco
Island, Florida (stone's throw south of Naples).  I heard from a  friend of mine
that A-1 Auto Transport has a good reputation, but I haven't had  personal
dealings with them myself, other than they're persistent.

I got a quote from them online, and my phone kept ringing off the hook for  a
week or two.  Kept asking if I "had any questions."

To answer one of your original questions, the manual transmission is a bit
more reliable (from what I've heard).  Even so, with only 130 hp backing  you
up, you need all the gears you can get.  =D  That is, if you're  performance
oriented.  I know the automatic has quite a few problems with  the computer
governor, mainly with sudden downshifting into 1st on highway  speeds.  Rather
good times.  I believe Rob Grady has a fix for this,  though.  So it's all in
preference at this point.  I'd go with a  manual, even if just because you get
more performance out of them (5 spd manual  VS. 3 spd auto?).  Plus, they're a
bit cheaper to maintain.

Cheers.

Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 14:20:46 -0400 (EDT)
From: William T Wilson <fluffy_at_dml_snurgle.org>

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004, wannadelorean wrote:

> this into the overall cost of acquiring a Delorean.  I'm a little
> leary about flying to pick up a car and have my first drive be 2000-
> 3000 miles back to home base.  Shipping seems to be the best option.

If time is not an issue for you you can fly (or drive, if you have a
truck/SUV/big sedan you can tow with) out, rent a tow dolly or
(preferably) flatbed trailer and tow it home yourself.  U-haul will rent
you just the trailer for pretty cheap.  If you need to rent one of their
trucks too you won't really save any money compared to having it shipped,
but at least you'll have it with you the whole time.

> Also, personal preference aside, is there any difference in long term
> reliability between the Deloreans automatic vs. manual transmission?

The manual transmission is more reliable.  The automatic transmissions are
prone to gremlins (most of which are fairly easily fixed).  Neither is
likely to need major transmission work provided that you can either do the
work yourself, or find a shop used to working with DeLoreans which will
have probably seen everything already.

Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 17:46:51 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: accident

The "Magic Words" you will hear is "Read Your Policy". It alone
governs ALL of the responsablities that your insurance company will
have in dealing with you. You are probably better off in going after
the insurance company of the car that hit you. Under that liabilty
coverage there are no limits or deductables or other terms that could
be detramental to you. It may be possable to take the car to a local
shop and have the damaged panel removed and sent out for repair. This
way you do not have to ship the whole car. It is not always the best
thing to repair it yourself. You may not get reembursed for all your
labor. A shop can bill time where you would have a hard time
estamating and getting the insurace company to agree. You could also
send pictures to the venders and get estamates for the cost of repair
to use in settling with the insurance company. Before you go to
Allstate for their estamate you should have done all your homework so
you KNOW what it WILL cost to repair because they won't have a clue
but will lo-ball you anyway. It sounds like the car is still driveable
so don't rush to get it settled or repaired until you get what you
want. If they don't negotiate just threaten to send the whole car to
one of the venders, get it repaired whatever the cost, and then sue
the owner of the mini-van for all the damage, loss of use, and use the
"Magic" word "Neglegence". The owner of the vehicle neglegently
allowed the mini-van to strike your car and could have killed
someone!!!!! Then you will see how fast they will try to settle this
amicably. Allstate is one of the harder to deal with companies. You
MUST report this accident to your insurance company but when you do
say that you are only telling them for the record, you are going to go
after the other owner's insurance. Get a copy of the police report for
all the information you will need.

Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 13:28:06 -0400
From: "Hank" <henry_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Music for DCS 2006

I can't thank Ken enough for all his hard work making these shows run as smoothly as they do.  Ken - you really looked calm and collected most of the weekend - unlike Memphis and Cleveland where you were running around like a mad man.  All your experience, hard work, and preparations paid off.   Thank you.

I do have one *minor* request for the Chicago show - maybe you can pay the BMI and/or ASCAP fees, and have some real (copyrighted) music at the events?   I know you like to give the small independent artists a chance at your events, but Joe Charter really detracted from the event this time, and I know I speak for many people, but I don't like to be preached to when I'm trying to enjoy myself at the DCS shows.   Even a *good* local band that only played covers would be an improvement in 2006.

Thank you,

-Hank

Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 12:51:16 -0700 (PDT)
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: accident

I am sure the answer to this question is "it depends".

It depends on who insures your D.  It depends upon
where you live.  It depends upon how long you have
been insured with them.  It depends upon your previous
claim record. Etc., etc., etc.

Clearly, if you live in Maine, NO insurance company is
going to pay to transport the car to Houston.  Why?
Their premiums, no matter how high you think they are,
are not calculated for such an extra expense.  On the
other hand, if you live in Arizona, for example, it
might be cheaper for them to pay for the transport and
have the job done correctly because it might still be
cheaper than finding someone "local" who could do the
job right.

If you think that you would want any and all body work
done by one of our vendors, I suggest you immediately
contact your insurance company and ask for their
concurrence, in writing.  BUT, don't hold your breath
waiting for it.  AND, if they say "sure - for $xxxx
more per year", don't be surprised.

Dick Ryan
VIN 16867

--- ryanpwright <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com> wrote:
> Bruce,
>
> Terribly sorry to hear about this. :(
I am sure insurance companies do not like this and
would attempt to force you to take it to a local
body shop.

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 20:03:08 -0000
From: "dreamdmc" <dominique.flandin_at_dml_wanadoo.fr>
Subject: how to change the pan oil ?

Hi everyone,
Does anyone knows how to change the pan oil of the DeLorean ?
My bottom screw is dead and I need to remove the 22 screws. The
front, right and left screw are easy to reach, but the rear screw
are under the chassis. Is there a special tool to get the screw or
do I have to remove completely the engine from its compartment ?
If you know where I can found this information, it will help me. I
do have the workshop manual, but was unable to find a good answer or
I missed it.
Thank you for your help and advice.
Sincerely.
Dominique from France.

Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 13:42:06 -0500 (CDT)
From: Andrew <aos+yahoo_at_dml_boom.net>
Subject: RE: Installing an iPod into a DeLorean??

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004, Travis Goodwin wrote:

> BMW is working with Apple right now to create an adapter to work with
> their cars. With a little ingenuity one might be able to adapt the BMW
> version to the DeLorean.

Or just buy any 2004 model AI-Net-capable Alpine head unit and then pick
up the Alpine iPod interface later this summer.  That's what I'm doing.

-andrew

Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 13:54:12 -0500
From: "Mike Polzin" <MPolzin_at_dml_sen.com>
Subject: Re: Fuel System problems

It turned out that the inertia switch got tripped for one reason or
another... I might have accidently kicked it with my foot getting into the
car, otherwise I am not sure why it was tripped. As soon as I reset the
switch it started right up.. I took it out for a 30 minute ride with no
problems besides the fact that the car has original NCT tires that really
need to go.. more like rocks than rubber.

Thanks for the help.. I should have checked that one right away.

Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 20:31:46 -0000
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com
Subject: Re: how to change the pan oil ?

Dominique - I changed the pan gasket on Winged1 a couple of years
ago, and I found that the best way to get those bolts out that
are "hidden" by the frame cross member is to jack up the engine a bit
to create more room for a wrench.  You can detach the bolt through
the motor mounts, and use a floor jack on the very back end of the
transmission housing (end closest to the engine) to raise the engine
a couple of inches.  I didn't have to unhook anything else, but you
need to keep a close watch on everything so that you don't stretch,
pinch, or otherwise damage anything.  Keep a close eye on the exhaust
cross over pipe and the pipe for the clutch hydraulics.  This assumes
that your transmission mounts are in good shape, as this will load
them up a bit.  You can also jack on the main pulley, with
appropriate use of protection for the pulley.  This option should be
used with caution as the pulley is not supposed to be structural.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "dreamdmc" <dominique.flandin_at_dml_w...>

Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 21:02:57 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

Loosen nuts on the studs that hold engine bosses to the motor mounts
and jack up the engine. You've got at least 2 or 3 inches of clearance
before the bellhousing hits the firewall.

Be glad the crossmember isn't directly under the oil pan, as it
commonly is on longitudinally mounted engines.

Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 18:38:47 EDT
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Music for DCS 2006

don't worry joe won't be back

I have a very limited budget and I have had a lot of people that liked the
young band

Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 22:43:08 -0000
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com
Subject: TOBY-TAB's are IN!

Hello List - I wanted to let any interested parties know that the
latest batch of TOBY-TAB trailing arm bolts have arrived.  As many of
you know, they didn't quite get done in time for the DCS in Pigeon
Forge.  The manufacturer had begun the final 100% inspection process
starting last Wednesday morning.  I was forced to decide between
waiving the inspection process and having them overnighted to PF, or
letting them go through the entire process and get appropriate
laboratory certification that they met or exceeded all design
specifications.  I elected to do the latter.  It was a
disappointment, but I really felt that this was the best course of
action.  The complete kits may be ordered immediately, with shipping
to commence on Monday.  We have many orders that must be filled for
other products that were purchased at PF for later shipment.  We
really appreciate the support of the DeLorean community, and look
forward to serving you any way we can.  See you all in PR / 2006, if
not sooner!

Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 18:44:36 EDT
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: Doc Brown T-Shirts

In a message dated 6/23/2004 1:30:06 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net writes:
Can we order them printed on the back like Kathryn's?

You can get them any way you want just let me know