From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2087
Date: Saturday, June 26, 2004 1:39 PM

1. El-Glow instrumentation from SpeedHut
From: "Stian Birkeland" <delorean_at_dml_netcom.no>

2. Re: Buying from Vendors (was:T-panel foam)
From: Noah <sitz_at_dml_onastick.net>

3. Re: Relay/Fuse Upgrade
From: "Tomcio" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl>

4. Backlit Instrument Cluster (was: DMCH new Interior)
From: "James" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

5. Re: Legend Turbo question
From: "James" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

6. DMCH New Interior
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

7. DMC (Texas) is hiring!
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

8. Re: Steering Column bushing replacement
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

9. Re: Windshield Trim
From: "Richard" <dmc_driver_at_dml_yahoo.ca>

10. Ducellier Alternator For Sale/Trade
From: PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com

11. To the guy selling the custom laser-carved DMC keychains at the DCS
From: "Matt" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

12. Re: Legend Turbo question
From: "delorean6584" <carburateur100gaz_at_dml_msn.com>

13. Re: Re: Legend Turbo question
From: ComposerZelgadis_at_dml_aol.com

14. Re: Raffle car winner
From: "Tomcio" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl>

15. New Products
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

16. PF
From: Flavia Vianna <frvianna_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 02:17:48 +0200
From: "Stian Birkeland" <delorean_at_dml_netcom.no>
Subject: El-Glow instrumentation from SpeedHut

Regarding El-glow instr. from SpeedHut;
Good news that you can choose not to have their logo.

Now, can they make a 99% identical instrumentation to the one we have now?

I fancy the original "BMW" style typeface, letters and numbers... the only thing missing is the backlight and lit-up needles like on modern cars.

Best wishes
Stian Birkeland
Norway
VIN # 06759
www.delorean.no

Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 22:08:20 -0400
From: Noah <sitz_at_dml_onastick.net>
Subject: Re: Buying from Vendors (was:T-panel foam)

On Fri, Jun 25, 2004 at 02:52:17PM -0400, Soma576_at_dml_aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 6/25/04 10:24:02 AM Central Daylight Time,
> supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu writes:
>

> > 106722 INSULATION, ROOF PNL $38.18
> >
> > $38 for a piece of foam, plus shipping.  That's expensive for a college
> > student,
> > even one working full-time.

Had to add my $0.02 here (I think I've posted more in the last few days
than in the last year); Of the vendors I deal with, I've yet to have one
kick me off the phone when I had a question that needed answering. They
take their time, they answer your questions, make suggestions, etc. This
is their time they're using for this, which is where they make a lot of
their money. When you establish a relationship with a vendor by
purchasing parts, you help pay for this unofficial, unbilled, utterly
indispensable service. You may be one of those folks who will never need
to ask the vendors a question; congratulations. I (and, I'd wager,
most folks on this list) am not such a person, and will happily kick in
a few extra bucks for a part, knowing that I'm helping keep the vendors
around.  I'd also wager that the have/make a good deal more money than I
do. Guess what? They earn it. =)

This is not, as others have said, an attempt to slap you down for trying
experiments. There are plenty of folks on this list who would appreciate
a good hack. Speaking for myself tho, I don't think that adding 'buy
from the vendors' to the moderators' Evil(tm) list is a good idea (and I
trust them enough to know that they wouldn't do that anyway). People do
need to be reminded every now and then that the vendors exist, and that
we need them.

OK, rant done. You may now resume your regular goings on. =)

Noah "My money and my Delorean go to $VENDOR" Robin

Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 00:46:20 -0000
From: "Tomcio" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl>
Subject: Re: Relay/Fuse Upgrade

Hello

I don't understand one thing here... Read the quotes below and tell
me which kit is better. In my opinion those original connectors HAVE
to replaced. What you say about cutting the wires is actually THE
way to do it. You do want to replace those spade connectors with
larger and stronger ring connectors. And that is what this eBay kit
offers. And the fan fail unit doesn't look anything like
that 'factory' jumper. In my opinion it looks like a very strong
unit. I like it.
Let's be fair here. I have one of those kits from this guy in my car
and I feel that he is selling a great kit. I replaced the original
C/B connectors, all the C/Bs, fuses and relays. I'm very happy with
the kit and that is why I'm defending this guy.

Tom
vin 06149

"John Hervey" says:

Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 01:00:07 -0000
From: "James" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: Backlit Instrument Cluster (was: DMCH new Interior)

The odds of seeing a backlit version of the stock instrument cluster
are slim to none. As of today, there are still several hundred 85mph
clusters and a large number of 240kmh, as well. With that many NOS
parts on hand, why re-create it? The interior in the show car
features a backlit cluster, and follows the same basic
instrumentation as the stock DeLorean, just in a more modern package.
I'll stop short of saying that the interior at the show is the future
of DeLoreans (with so many NOS parts still available, that's not
likely), but you won't see development of what is essentially a
duplicate of a part that we already have hundreds of.

Wouldn't you rather the money was spent on torsion bars or
dashes/binnacles or other parts that are unavailable?

James Espey
DMC (Texas)

Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 01:02:18 -0000
From: "James" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: Re: Legend Turbo question

This, to me, helps explain while Fred Dellis is still so friendly
with JZD. You'd think that if the failure of the original DMC was the
reason Legend clsoed shop, that Dellis would harbor abit of animosity
towards JZD (and DeLorean cars, as well).

James Espey
DMC (Texas)
http://www.delorean.com

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <chris_at_dml_i...> wrote:

>> The person you are probably refering to is Fred Dellis. He was the
>> owner of Legend Industries. His company went bankrupt after DMC
went
>> bankrupt owing Legend millions of dollars.
>
>I spoke to Fred about this at the DCS car show and he said the main
reason
>Legend went bankrupt was not due to DMC, which he felt they could
have
>weathered, but due to Fiat pulling an order for 4,000 engines.

(snip)

Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 20:05:52 -0500
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: DMCH New Interior

The new interior on our DeLorean at the Pigeon Forge show was designed and
built in the span of about 5 months here in Houston, Texas.

The instrument cluster was custom designed and built for us for this car.
Features the same instrumentation as the stock cluster, but with a new
layout and backlit design.

It is trimmed fully in plain and perforated leather, including the
headliners and heated and cooled seats.

The door vents were repositioned to the sides of the dash to allow for the
placement of the door speakers. Ventilation is greatly improved with the
repositioned vents, as well. The door lock and inside handles have been
relocated, as well. Window switches, seat controls, and light switches were
relocated to center console and HVAC controls repositioned, as well.

The stereo features an Alpine 7" LCD display and AM/FM/CD/CD Changer/DVD/TV
Tuner/XM Radio/Satellite Navigation and Nokia Cellular Interface.

For the time being, we've kept the original turn signal/wiper controls as
well as the upper and lower steering column covers. For the next version, I
expect these will change as well.

The EFI has been a long-term project, since shortly after the original
performance engine was completed. With more than 50 of these on the roads,
our attention has shifted to the EFI project. With the EFI comes the
elimination of the fuel accumulator, which allowed us to have custom
modications done by Pearce Design Components, allowing for a useable center
console storage area. Relays and fuses were also moved to a new compartment
in the center of the rear section formed in the underbody. This space was
made available through the elimination of the crossover pipe.

More photos and details of the work done will be posted on our website soon.

Further improvements and refinements will be in place on the car at it's
next showing in California next month at the Autofest in Riverside:

http://www.californiaautofest.com

We are expecting 50-some DeLoreans for this event. Visit their website for
more details or contact me at (james_at_delorean.com).

James Espey
DMC (Texas)
http://www.delorean.com

---

Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 20:08:48 -0500
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: DMC (Texas) is hiring!

We have an immediate opening for a Graphic Designer/Web Design person. This
is a full-time position requiring relocation or residence in the Houston,
Texas area. Proficiency with Dreamweaver, Quark Xpress, Illustrator and
Photoshop in a Mac enviroment required. Email resumes with salary
requirements to "jobs(at)delorean.com".

James Espey
DMC (Texas)
http://www.delorean.com
---

Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 01:17:27 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Steering Column bushing replacement

I didn't remove the steering column to install a bushing. I
purchased one from DeLorean Parts Northwest because theirs appeared
to be the easiest to install using my method and cut it into halves
with my Dremel. (the lip that goes to the outside is smaller than
Special T's for example but, I suspect special T's will last forever
but also require steering column removal or need to be cut into
thirds). I removed the inspection covers for the master cylinder and
fuel tank filler. I loosened the steering shaft on the steering rack
so the shaft would slide up. The column inside the car will retract
about an inch and one-half, or more, away from the metal shield
where the bushing is to be installed. This will provide plenty of
room to install half the bushing on the bottom, rotate that half up
to the top and install the other half with a small wooden driver - I
had a small hammer handle I used. After installation I slid the
steering shaft back down the rack spline moving the steering column
down to about a quarter to eighth inch from the bushing inside the
car, tightened everything back. It has worked great - the drive to
PF from NJ didn't loosen it at all. I checked for any problems or
obvious wear issues when I returned - so far none.

When I did this last install, in the spring of 2004, I removed the
last one I did some years ago by nearly the same method and that
bushing was not nearly the same quality of bushing. I found the
change was not necessary. There was no obvious wear. (1998 I think?)

Harold McElraft  3354

Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 02:54:33 -0000
From: "Richard" <dmc_driver_at_dml_yahoo.ca>
Subject: Re: Windshield Trim

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, mike.griese_at_dml_w... wrote:
> I removed all of the old paint from the trim, cleaned the
> metal thoroughly with a degreaser and a metal prep, and
> sprayed the new paint on (aerosol can).  You can get the
> degreaser and metal prep from an auto supply shop that
> caters to body shops.
>
> --
> Mike
>

> -------------- Original message from Andrew : --------------
> > On Thu, 24 Jun 2004, Ancira Internet Department wrote:
> >
> > > Did you spray it on or actually paint it? Noone laugh now, I am
new at
> > > this :)
> >
> > ...and did you strip off the remaining paint that was there first,
and if
> > so, how did you do it and not damage the metal?
> >
> > -andrew
> > (who needs to repaint his window trim, too)

Mine needed re-painting too, so I stripped them down to the bare
metal, sanded them and thought, "hmmm... looks kind of cool without
paint.  Goes with the stainless steel panels."  So, I sanded them
again, matching the grain direction of the doors and roof, set them
back on the car and it looks really nice that way.  Does anyone else
drive their car with bare metal trim pieces?  They are stainless steel
anyway, and it's a stainless steel car after all.  Of course,I know
that it wouldn't be original so you would lose points in a concourse
competition.

Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 23:05:37 EDT
From: PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Ducellier Alternator For Sale/Trade

Hey All,
     Before the PF show I decided to remove my 80 amp alternator and get
Hervey's 140 amp.   I am very pleased with it.   Now I am stuck with a working
Ducellier alternator off of my car (VIN 1880) and it has under 12,000 miles of
use on the alternator.   It is in good shape, but since I drive my car everyday
I decided to upgrade to something bigger.   It was in good working order when
removed a little over a week ago.   I am willing to sell it or trade it for
some other DeLorean items if the offer is right.   Shoot me an email at
PRC1216(at)aol.com if you are interested.

Patrick

Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 04:11:05 -0000
From: "Matt" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>
Subject: To the guy selling the custom laser-carved DMC keychains at the DCS

I spoke with you at the DCS, and I remember you mentioning how you
were going to replace the screw in your rear quarter trim.  Could
you contact me off-list and tell me where on earth this screw
threads into?  I was putting my trim back on, but it seems like
there was no whole drilled behind my panel for it.

thanks!

Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 04:23:54 -0000
From: "delorean6584" <carburateur100gaz_at_dml_msn.com>

but technically, is the stock prv6 is able to handle some boost ?
because its a really sleeping engine, has someone know how it can be
awaken in hp to keep real good reliability ? i was thinking in
turbocharging one in a near future without extreme boost only better
admission/fuel delivery and exaust system. someone know more about
those little prv capabilities ?

Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 00:49:27 EDT
From: ComposerZelgadis_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: Legend Turbo question

I agree with James Espey.  I had always wondered why good ol' Fred  didn't
make a Vow of Hatred towards DeLoreans.  Still, despite that, I had  always
accepted it as "Gospel Truth" that DMC took down Legend Industries.

A very interesting "revelation" of sorts!

Oh well.  I never liked Fiat much!  =D

Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 09:36:19 -0000
From: "Tomcio" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl>
Subject: Re: Raffle car winner

Hello All!

Are you excited about the raffle car? Well, look at what I just
found on the internet - another raffle car, but you can have this
one for just $1!! Plus they will even ship it to you for free. I
already have my tickets :) What is going on? One raffle car after
another..
Here's the link:
https://www.prizewise.com/productDetails.asp?c=&s=&sc=&id=2569

And this car is in Clearwater,FL... I used to live there not long
ago.

Best wishes
Tom
vin 6149

---

Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 05:12:48 -0000
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: New Products

Group, Since Bosch seems to go up on products for no reason, meaning
more than just the exchange and the exchange rate is changing all
the time. I'm alway's looking for better products and prices with
equal or higher quality.

I have some new products I announced at the PF car show and would
like to share on the list for the ones that didn't make it.

#1.The new fuel pump kit which we import with a 2 year warranty for
$109.05 pump only and $119.95 with new filter screen. New products
page.

#2. New radiator fans that only draw 11 amps total instead of 28
amps and are only 2 3/4" behind the radiator. I have fixed the price
now and lowered to $295.00. I had a working model at the show.

#3. Another new product is a US made 02 sensor for $28.95 that has
the long wire with the connector.

#4. Stainless Steel fuel return line with 106994 connector
which I understand is no longer available. If you have a hard time
and or strip the fuel return connector I now have a replacement for
that. $59.95 for the assembly.

Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 21:42:23 -0700 (PDT)
From: Flavia Vianna <frvianna_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: PF

HI everyone,

I haven't had the chance to express how much I loved that event. I had planned on going since late 2002, but when it was getting closer I couldn't find a travel buddy and I almost gave up. But you know what, I rented a car, drove almost 700 miles each way (NJ to TN), and I am happy I did it because it was worth every minute and every penny!
Ken and everyone else that organized and helped this event become reality are the best!  Thank you so much, you guys deserve an award as much as those coolest DeLoreans of all types deserve their trophies.
I don't own a DeLorean, but like a lot of people my interest in the car started because of Back to the Future. And I am the BIGGEST fan, LOL. It was amazing to hang out with people who admire that classic trilogy, I wasn't nuts because I traveled all the way just because of a movie, all of you understood my motive :)
And Bob, Claudia and Jeffrey.... I have no adjectives to describe how much they made the event even better. As someone else said a few days ago, they really showed what that movie is all about. I was thrilled to be able to be part of that event and honored to be close to the BTTF people, great fans, great car owners. Can't wait until 2006!
Now a small request..... While Jeffrey was posing as Chaplin, he was playing with me and I saw a lot of people taking pictures, if you are reading and you have those pictures or knows someone who has it, can you send them to me? Same thing on Friday when I first met Bob Gale, a lot of people were taking pictures because he was in front of Oliver's time machine.
Now, if you see my name and you don't know who I am, I was the girl who had the BTTF part 2 colorful hat like the one Marty McFly Jr. worn in 2015. That might help.
I'd be delighted if I could get any of those pictures, thanks a lot everyone and see you in Chicago!

Flavia Vianna
BTTF fan from Central Jersey