From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2091
Date: Tuesday, June 29, 2004 7:01 AM

1. Re: How do you Top Pigeon Forge
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

2. RE: Another Ebay car
From: "Michael C. Babb" <michael_at_dml_babbtechnology.com>

3. Re: Raffle car winner
From: "thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_cox.net>

4. Re: Another Ebay car
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

5. Brakes Squeaking deuce
From: BondAtomic_at_dml_aol.com

6. Re: Another DeLorean giveaway
From: "Frank" <montlyfool_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. Re: How do you Top Pigeon Forge
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. Brakes squeaking
From: BondAtomic_at_dml_aol.com

9. Defrost switch
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com

10. Re: Another DeLorean giveaway
From: "Hank" <henry_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>

11. Re: Raffle car winner - this is funny.
From: "John Dore" <dmcjohn_at_dml_hotmail.com>

12. Oil drain plug
From: BondAtomic_at_dml_aol.com

13. Re: Defrost switch.
From: Michael Paine <mpaine_at_dml_tycomsystems.com>

14. Re: Bad bearing or...?
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

15. Re: How do you Top Pigeon Forge
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

16. Pigeon Forge Show disappointing
From: "dalaurieann" <dalaurieann_at_dml_yahoo.com>

17. Re: Pigeon Forge Show disappointing
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

18. Re: Pigeon Forge Show disappointing
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>

19. Air Filter
From: steve trimble <stevetrimble52_at_dml_yahoo.com>

20. Re: Bad bearing or...?
From: "Dani B" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

21. Re: Brakes squeaking
From: "Dani B" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

22. Re: Pigeon Forge Show disappointing
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>

23. Re: Another DeLorean giveaway
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

24. Cruise control
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

25. and another thing.............
From: "dalaurieann" <dalaurieann_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 15:58:00 EDT
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: How do you Top Pigeon Forge

In a message dated 6/28/04 1:51:17 PM Central Daylight Time, dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net
writes:

> I think that this in itself could also be a big motivator to
> encourage people to bring their cars, so they could be apart of this.
> Out of all the car shows that other marques have ever had, I've never
> heard of anyone every attempting this. So it'd definetly be unique to
> DeLoreans. Thoughts anyone?
>
> -Robert
> vin 6585 "X"

Sounds like a good idea, in fact i would be interested in seeing that too,
but it would probably take hours to coordinate and a lot of planning.  what if
someone shows up late? we would have to move the whole line down.  what if we
save a spot for someone who said they would be there? now we have a gap.

even if just 50 cars participated, it would take a lot of time navigating
everyone around  and finding which car is supposed to go next (owner ran off to
the bathroom or get gas or whatever).

sounds fun but probably impractical, especially for a 3 day event.  if we did
do it, i'd be there though!

Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 08:10:48 -0400
From: "Michael C. Babb" <michael_at_dml_babbtechnology.com>
Subject: RE: Another Ebay car

I sent the guy a message and asked him to take a look at
http://www.dmcnews.com/faq/img/news/n_vinrat.pdf

By my guess, there were several thousand black auto's - 400+ just in
1983.  :)

Michael

Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 15:05:54 -0000
From: "thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Re: Raffle car winner

Here's another slogan that good to live by:  "If it's sounds too good
to be true, it probably is."

Johnny
5518

Does anyone know if this outfit is on the level,

Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 10:11:47 EDT
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

In a message dated 6/27/04 10:11:05 PM Central Daylight Time, 5n-_at_dml_gmx.net
writes:

> A California rust free car? Was there really only 63 made with

They are probably referring to the '83 model year, not total built.

Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 17:40:18 EDT
From: BondAtomic_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Brakes Squeaking deuce

Well, I thought it would be advantageous if I explained more of the squeaking
from hell-

There won't be much for squeaking for a little while, and then the squeaking
starts. This, I can assume, is caused by the rotors heating up.

The squeaking isn't a solid squeak, it is more like a squeak that sounds
intermittently, constantly. I guess it would be a certain part of the disc. I
believe this is only happening on the front brakes, but I can't really tell if it
isn't a rear or two.

With this, I was just wondering if it would be fixed by buying the pads and
anti-squeak shims, or if I would have to buy new rotors, also. From reading

Thanks for the help.

Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 19:41:01 -0000
From: "Frank" <montlyfool_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Another DeLorean giveaway

Since the Delorean TV show was on two weeks ago, I almost can
understand this giveaway. Anyway, get in soon. Ends on 6/30/04
Car has approximately 104,000 miles. Prize to be awarded in as is
condition. Approximate Retail Value :$16,100

Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 10:46:37 -0700 (PDT)
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>

> With the announcement of this coveted award, i hope
> no one tries to compete
> with Josh by running their car off a cliff or thru a
> shopping mall!

ROFL.  I think running it into the show room where all
the cars will be would be a real attention-getter.
I'll make sure my car is in the back now away from the
scene =).

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 16:18:52 EDT
From: BondAtomic_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Brakes squeaking

Howdy group
Whenever I drive, at least most of the time, the brakes squeak
intermittently; faster when I'm driving faster and slower when driving slower. The squeaking
then stops when applying the brakes. I was wondering if my brakes are warped,
or if I just need new pads. I don't mind doing either, I was just wondering
what everyone thought.

Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 21:21:15 EDT
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Defrost switch

Ed Here are a couple of links tp the DMC News Files section where the
Defroster Swtich Repair info is.

_Yahoo! Groups  : dmcnews Files_
(http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews/files/)

_http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/EL_gQB4NGWKdsu8zFgItzty0TVYBfSa5S4yjnARPePzXhWAf
aDon_kguj6CKpMtZyRzsEosb6O2jHfFXzIDpXre3yUzG/DefrosterSwitch.pdf_
(http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/EL_gQB4NGWKdsu8zFgItzty0TVYBfSa5S4yjnARPePzXhWAfaDon_kguj6CK
pMtZyRzsEosb6O2jHfFXzIDpXre3yUzG/DefrosterSwitch.pdf)

Dave  & 6530

"Just Say  NO, to the COUCH POTATO!"

To see how go to _www.tvpedaler.com_ (http://www.tvpedaler.com/)

Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 16:27:36 -0400
From: "Hank" <henry_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>

>From the rules: "Prizes/Drawing: One (1) Grand Prize: A 1981 DeLorean automobile. Car has approximately 104,000 miles. Prize to be awarded in 'as is' condition. Approximate Retail Value (ARV): $16,100."

 I wonder just how much work a 104k mile car will need.. let's say it needs $5k of work.  That, plus the taxes on the prize, and it's not so much of a "Grand Prize" after all.

I entered anyway.  ;)

-Hank

Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 20:25:54 +0000
From: "John Dore" <dmcjohn_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Raffle car winner - this is funny.

Hi Tom,
I have a feeling that the guy who owns this raffle car is your brother. See
post 39869 where you talk about your brother selling antennas on Ebay...
See this auction on ebay? It is for an electric DeLorean antenna like you
say
your brother sells, and the sellers id is szyszek, same as the latest
DeLorean
raffle

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7904273164

Just thought I'd give you a heads up, you might feel a bit silly down the
road
if you win the auction and only find out when you collect the car that it is
your brothers.

Best wishes,
John Dore, Ireland.

PS Video Bob, I'm surprised you didn't pick this up!

Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 17:11:05 EDT
From: BondAtomic_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Oil drain plug

What thread type is the oil drain plug? I want to find a "piggyback" drain
plug or drain valve for the DeLorean and the thread type would be good to know.

Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 17:24:26 -0400
From: Michael Paine <mpaine_at_dml_tycomsystems.com>
Subject: Re: Defrost switch.

If you want to mail it to me I will rebuild it and mail it back free of charge -
it takes all of about 2 mins.

Regards,

Michael mpaine at tycomsystems.com

Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 21:27:01 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Bad bearing or...?

I see there are plenty of thoughts on this symptom. In my
experience, a bad bearing that loud can be easily identified. Based
on your description however, I would say you're hearing tire noise.
BF Goodrich and Goodyear tires are especially prone to give you an
off-road noise after about 10-15,000 miles, especially from the
rear, if they are not rotated. I had a set that got to the point I
couldn't hear the radio well. Switching the tires to the other side
of the car may give some relief if the tires are not directional.
Many directional tires are prone to this symptom (a good reason to
avoid them in my opinion). I haven't had that problem with the
Michelin's yet with a bit over 12,000 miles and one rotation
(switching sides).

If you do not hear or FEEL any bearing noise with the wheel off the
ground I would try and find someone with which to swap wheels and
tires before tearing down to bearings.

Harold McElraft - 3354

Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 19:40:21 EDT
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

In a message dated 6/28/2004 2:51:18 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net writes:
However, something that I really would like to see is all the cars
parked in chronological order in an "assembly line" pose. I think
that this would be really neat to not only see certain groups of
cars "reunited" since they left the factory, with markers of some
sort to designate them
--

If you want to do this its fine with me
We have the room I just need volunteers to make it happen

Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 20:02:34 -0000
From: "dalaurieann" <dalaurieann_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Pigeon Forge Show disappointing

I realize that by commenting on the show as I saw it will render
numerous responses defending the show and messages stating that there
must be something wrong with me to make these comments but I will say
them anyway as I feel that it is my moral duty.  The first day was a
surreal experience seeing all of the D's lined up at one place and
the 3M discussion (though very long after travelling all day) wasn't
bad either.  Friday evening (didn't go out to the run in the morning)
was fantastic.  Everything seemed to be building up to a grand
climax. That never came.  Saturday was one of the longest days of my
life.  There was no plan B for anything.  OK so Rob Grady was late
stuff happens.  But there was no alternative to any of the late
arrivals or cancellations.  There was no continuity in anything.
Most of the time when the video monitors where on there was no sound
so they were basically useless.  The speakers that were there (all of
them ) seemed ill informed on what there expectations were and they
relied on their personal speaking talents and to be able to think on
the fly.  This worked fine for Bob Gale who is so versed in his area
but it did not work out for the majority of speakers.  Most of us
were basically stuck there on Saturday as we were not able to take
our cars out for many hours.  By the time we were able to take them
out the evening events were about to commence.  The show as a whole
seemed very "clicky" as many of us felt like outsiders with the
numerous inside joke references and talking about the same
individuals over and over.  Saturday evening can best be described as
egomania run amock.  I realize what it takes and the people necessary
to run something of such a large proportion but to devote an entire
evening to this??  That's all it was.  The "click" praising each
other and patting each other on the back was just too excessive for
us "outsiders"  I can imagine the response to what I have said so far
being "I'm sorry you feel this way but everyone that I have talked to
had a great time"  Consider who you are getting the feedback from.
Everyone on this list was certainly not the majority at the show.
Some people may feel that it is a sacrilege to say anything that is
anti Delorean related and may not be so ready to speak the way they
really feel.  Take what I say as beneficial to assist in planning the
next show.  When I heard initially that the next show was to be in
Chicago I was excited.  After the show was over I doubt at this point
that I will be going.  The amount of time money and effort put into
attending the show was NOT worth the return.
Again I feel that those who contributed should be recognized but
recognized appropriately.  If you are an organizer and part of those
who contributed your motivation should not be all of the praise and
ego boosting it should be the personal gratification of keeping
continuity to those of us preserving this magnificent piece of
automotive history.

Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 02:31:43 -0000
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Re: Pigeon Forge Show disappointing

I'm not going to flame you for stating your opinion but I'll send
along my rebuttal.

I know what a "clique" is, but why did you consider yourself an
"outsider"? I'm confused. You are, or are not an owner?

Irrelevant actually. Even non-owners who showed up were treated with
respect and enthusiasm because they are potential future owners. Jai
and I gave rides to a grateful few.

You want to talk about feeling like an outsider? After busting my
balls for nearly 18 months to make my car a strong runner I -still-
felt like I didn't belong when I arrived because so many cars were
cosmetically much better than mine. I expected a lot of upturned noses
and derisive comments but that never happened. Everyone I met was
friendly and encouraging and told me not to come down on myself.

I was a concours judge assistant (my first time, my first DeLorean
event too). All the "old timers" were friendly and welcoming. There
definitely were "inside jokes" but only because they've all shared
past experiences. All I had to do was ask for the reference and they
were more than happy to share the story.

For me, the best part of the show was finally meeting all of the
people who have helped me with parts and information, paying my thanks
and making new friends of the attendees who don't post to the list.

Cheers,

Rich A.

Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 22:09:30 -0400
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>

Damn...I'm sure Ken is too, but I'm glad to finally get some
constructive criticism out in the open about the show.

I mean, how can we make it better if we don't know what to fix for the
next time?

First thing I'd like to say to you, Dalaurieann, is THANK YOU!
Second...why do you consider yourself an outsider?  What's keeping from
getting you involved?

This show belongs to you...as Ken said many times before and during the
event.  I applaud you standing up, and making yourself heard, but I wish
you had done it sooner...like at the show!  Chances are, there are
others out there that feel the way you do, so if anyone else has any
comments on how Ken and the rest of us can make the show better, we'll
add em to our to-do list for Chicago!  Same goes for the magazine!

Also always looking for volunteers to help with the shows.  Got any
talents you can lend to us for Chicago, if you change your mind about
attending, Dalaurieann?

Cheers,
Josh
et parts cars...

Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 19:10:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: steve trimble <stevetrimble52_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Air Filter

Anyone know who makes those sharp looking chrome (or
stainless) air filter assemblies that I saw at Pigeon
Forge?? I think they were using the K & N cone shaped
filters.
Steve T

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 01:57:26 -0000
From: "Dani B" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

As far as tires, I felt the same way-that the noise could just simply
be tire to road contact. The fronts have about 9K, and the rear has a
few thousand less- I can't say how much for sure because I forgot the
mileage when I put them on. Nonetheless, the rear tires don't have any
kind of odd wear pattern, and have plenty of tread to last me a few
more years. The fronts however have the outsides wearing faster then
the insides-only I'm not sure if this is still the case since my front
end is totally rebuilt (from about half way into the fuel tank
compartment all the way up to the front including ext. is brand new),
so I may have corrected this with the new factory mountings and etc.
Anyway, I rotated the fronts today actually and still the noise
remains. I will do the rear tires tomorrow and see what happens. The
tires are Kellys, only becacuse I am in need of new rims so I
figured when I got the new rims I'd mount good name tires on them, and
keep
the kellys as spares, hasn't happened as of yet unfortunitly. Car
has only a bit over 63K on it, but the bearings are 23 years old so I
could understand if it was those. I will let you all know what happens
after I do a little more investigating. I need to check out the drive
shafts as well as rear bearing play/feeling. Thanks for all the help
and ideas- I really appreciate it! Dani B. #5003

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_a...>

Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 01:36:54 -0000
From: "Dani B" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Re: Brakes squeaking

Generally your brake pedal will pulse and steering wheel will
shake/vibrate with bad rotors. This is provided you don't have any bad
steering parts which will cause the steering wheel to shake and
vibrate while slowing down as well. If this isn't the case, then its
probably pads, take the tires and you will be able to see how worn
your pads are. Make sure there is no grit or dirt on or near the pads
as this can cause some squeaking and do a numnber on your rotors if a
particle gets between the pad and rotor. Dani B. #5003

Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 22:50:32 -0400
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>

BTW...I have a complaint too...is it at all possible that they could
move the hotels in Chicago further out of my way?  Also the
metal/concrete poles at any auto wash places.

Thanks Ken!

-Josh

Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 02:54:59 -0000
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

What Delorean TV show was on 2 weeks ago? Whatevfer it was I missed
it. Anyone know the name of the show and the network so I can try to
catch it again?

Thanks,

Joe O'Brien

2524 & 16634

Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 21:58:11 -0500
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: Cruise control

I have an Audiovox CSS100 i took out of my Truck i just sold and want
to transplant it in my Delorean. I know some members have this unit in
their cars and i would like to know what they used for settings.

Also if they have any good pictures of where it is installed including
where the magnets are attached to and where all of the necessary
brackets have been attached to and all wiring was routed.

please feel free to email me direct with pictures and info.

Thanks in advance

Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 04:51:11 -0000
From: "dalaurieann" <dalaurieann_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: and another thing.............

I would just like to make a few more comments and then I will get off
my high horse.  In regards to Saturday night you need to stop and
think about what entertainment value was there to those who were not
recognized by verbal praise or some sort of award?  It's nice to
share in the accomplishments of others but there are limits on that
as well.  This was hour after hour after hour of ego feeding.
Suggestions for the future are much better organization.  Some sort
of shuttle provided when individuals do not have access to their car
if the hotel that many people are staying at is not at the same
location as the show.  Every car owner who enters the show should
receive some form of recognition just for participating in the show.
A polished, professional MC to moderate the show.  Jeffrey Weisman
was the best speaker of the entire event because he didn't repeat
himself over and over, he didn't stay on one subject til it was
driven into the ground and he interjected humor that everyone could
relate to.  That is the type of speaker that is needed to keep the
flow and momentum of the event.  Whoever the MC is needs to be versed
on what he or she is talking about.  A very detailed outline with
plan B's   I also wanted to mention the disrespectful treatment of
Joe Charter.  Even though I was not a fan of his music and didn't see
him as a huge talent I still respect him for his efforts.  He was
very professional at all times, polite, not too loud and overbearing,
a good sport, and did all and more of what was expected of him.
Those who were involved in organizing the event knew exactly what Joe
had to offer as they had heard his CD ahead of time.  Joe played the
songs that were on his CD and the live sound was actually better and
brighter.  Joe even was tolerant (unlike most musicians) when the
Cinci Chicks took away his spotlight.  Giving away the autographed
photo at the raffle of Ken's daughter would have been cute at a
family gathering but NOT appropriate at this event.  Making the
comment "He won't be back" was very rude and disrespectful to someone
who performed up to their capability.  If you do not want Joe back
that is fine but show some class.  In regards to Rich's question: yes
I am a very proud Delorean owner.  I had so much anticipation and
excitement leading up to the show.  Maybe my expectations were too
high.  Nevertheless I still feel obligated to express the viewponts
of myself and many others who attended the show.