From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2097
Date: Thursday, July 01, 2004 12:44 PM

1. RE: Transport to Chicago (Pheasant Run)
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

2. KANSAS OWNERS
From: "austinbrumley" <austinbrumley_at_dml_delorean.com>

3. Eurofest 2006
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

4. Re: more AC stuff - rattling?
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. An interesting car show stat.
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

6. Re: Cruise control
From: "jangwin" <jeff_at_dml_angwin.us>

7. Oil Pressure Weirdness
From: "Scott McMullan" <mcmullas_at_dml_bellatlantic.net>

8. Re: more AC stuff - rattling?
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

9. Re: Need Shaft seals for Sanden compressor
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

10. Re: DCS 2006 Suggestions
From: "Lauren" <LPLand_at_dml_earthlink.net>

11. Re: Pigeon Forge DISCUSSION disappointing-NOT!
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

12. Re: Transport to Chicago (Pheasant Run)
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

13. RE: Re: [DMLWhats a Delorean Worth?
From: jwit6_at_dml_cs.com

14. Re: Oil Pressure Weirdness
From: "ronin5030" <yahoo_at_dml_oneskydojo.com>

15. RE: Oil Pressure Weirdness
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

16. Re: Pigeon Forge Show disappointing
From: "stainlessillusion2000" <dmcman_at_dml_hawaii.rr.com>

17. RE: Oil Pressure Weirdness
From: "Scott McMullan" <mcmullas_at_dml_bellatlantic.net>

18. RE: Re: [DMLWhats a Delorean Worth?
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

19. Re: Re: Pigeon Forge DISCUSSION disappointing-NOT!
From: "Lauren" <LPLand_at_dml_earthlink.net>

20. Re: Need Shaft seals for Sanden compressor
From: "Dave Stragand" <dave.stragand_at_dml_forwardlook.net>

21. Re: Oil Pressure Weirdness
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

22. Re: How do you Top Pigeon Forge (newspaper articles)
From: "gullwingmagazine" <gullwingmagazine_at_dml_juno.com>

23. RE: Eurofest 2006
From: "Dom Diaz" <dom_diaz_at_dml_hotmail.com>

24. Re: Oil Pressure Weirdness
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

25. RE: Oil Pressure Weirdness
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 16:39:32 -0500
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Transport to Chicago (Pheasant Run)

I will be driving, it's not as bad as you think as long as you have AC and
good alignment.
You will have 2 years to get ready for this show.
I can't stress enough how important it is to have good new tires, well
balanced
and aligned.
It helps with the stopping and handling in a way that is most important
above else.
The last thing you want in the world is a blow out in a Delorean.
The spare is useless and there is no where to put the bad tire!

These cars are simple but tough, even if it runs crappy, as long as it runs
and
cools well there should be no major problems.
Make sure that your fuel pump has been replaced, as well as all belts.
Make sure your belt pullys have good bearings and spin freely.

These are not Delorean specific rules, but 20+ year old car rules.
- VB

Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 23:05:58 -0000
From: "austinbrumley" <austinbrumley_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: KANSAS OWNERS

Are there any owners on the list in the Wichita area. Or for that
matter Southeast KS? If there are we should figure out a way to get
together.

Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 22:19:02 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Eurofest 2006

Just for those not aware already, there's to be another Eurofest show in
Belfast, NI from Thursday 25May-Sunday 28th May 2006. I for one am
thoroughly looking forward to it, and fully intend to come to the
Chicago show 3 weeks later. It'll be great to see some of you guys on
"our turf" and I'm really looking forward to showing off my Renault 25
turbo engine and R30 tranny swap. Things have come along way for me
since 2000. I bought a DeLorean. Then I bought another DeLorean. Now I'm
running a DeLorean business! It'll be great to go back, and re-acquaint
#1458 (my baby) to the test track, 25 years on.

I have nothing to do with the organisation of the show, just thought it
worth mentioning for those planning on Chicago already. Keep an eye on
DeLorean World, or the DOA website for more details (or almost certainly
the DML)

Martin
DMUK
www.delorean.co.uk

Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 00:30:16 -0000
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: more AC stuff - rattling?

In the Delorean, compared to traditional R-12 how do you compare the
cooling effects of Freeze 12? I recently bought 2 cases of it just
to have on hand in case it was needed, or I had AC problems.

Any opinions positive or negative about it? I've never really met
anyone who has been using it, just I have heard great things.

Thanks,

Joe O'Brien

2524 & 16634

Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 19:56:02 EDT
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: An interesting car show stat.

I have kept copies of e-mails from all of you from this show and I have
somewhere in the neighborhood of 93 e-mails that were like you all saw on this list
that were positive and full of energy.  Praising the speakers, loving the
food, enjoying the cars wanting more.

Then we got an e-mail from and individual that probably was not even at the
show seeded in to disrupt the whole euphoria of the event.

We had what I consider 1 negative e-mail.

>From that time on we recieved 21 positive e-mails (dml and private) defending
the show. And a number of e-mails that were people trying to jump on the
negative bandwagon. (Video Bob did that as you know then he gave the show a great
praise after)

There were some valid suggestions like Gary Gore and Ken (sorry I don't have
your last name handy) and a few others but the tone turned to finding things
wrong or to do better.

I let this go just so that maybe some of the details of the show and planning
could be made public.  I enjoy sharing the planning of a show but not in a
negative defensive tone.

I hope I answered all your questions.  If you ask I will answer.

But remember the postive feedback was overwhelming but I am hearing now as I
did from Jim (last name kept confidential) that he is afraid now to post to
the list so he doesn't get bashed. And he is a supporter.

So we have the old one oh $%# negates 100 atta boys that we all deserve.

That is wrong.

My family is overwhelmed by all the kindness you have shown us and by no way
am I or my family going to let one individual derail the momentum this show
has.

I would like all of you there to reflect on that and the fact that we all had
a good time.

This was the first show ever we have done that no one came to us during the
show to complain. Questions yes complaints NO.

Give the show and youselves credit for attending the biggest and the best
show ever.

If you let the naysayers win the show will not survive.

Remember its your event and it is what you make it.  Is the way this thread
is going the way you want to remember Pigeon Forge

I don't

Don't let the Minority ruin your fun and fascination with the DeLorean.

Thanks for the support.  And tell us about it.  That the fun part.

Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 21:40:00 -0000
From: "jangwin" <jeff_at_dml_angwin.us>
Subject: Re: Cruise control

I know that this does not answer the specific questions in the
original post, but since we're on the subject of cruise control...

I had Delorean Motor Center install an all electronic CC in my D,
after seeing Danny doing it in his BTTF Delorean. The speed sensor is
a small quarter-sized (US coin, for you non-American readers :-) )
pulse counter that is inserted inline on the speedo cable. The
electronics are discretely placed into the pod on the drivers side of
the engine compartment, and a single cable exits there and is
attached to the spool. The control is a stalk that sits behind the
turn signal.

It works great! One added benefit is that the signal from the pulse
counter can be buffered and processed to do other stuff... Like power
Danny's working BTTF digital speedometer display. This is exactly
what I designed for his car... You might have seen it at PF. (but
that's another story... look for it in an upcoming issue of Gullwing
Magazine)

Jeff Angwin
VIN 3034

Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 20:55:02 -0400
From: "Scott McMullan" <mcmullas_at_dml_bellatlantic.net>
Subject: Oil Pressure Weirdness

OK, so I've spent some time looking at back posts to the list and haven't
seen my problem (coulda missed it, but it's clear this isn't TOO common a
question anyway).

When I fire up my car, the oil pressure behaves what I believe is pretty
normally.  At idle, the pressure is around 40, anything over idle, and it
hovers around 70 (my gauges are metric so the numbers are actually like 2.6
and 5, but I digress).

I noticed the other day that after I've been driving for 25 minutes or so,
oil pressure at idle drops to something like 10 (yes, below the 1st non-zero
tic on the gauge).  Anything over idle, and the pressure recovers to around
60, but drops rapidly back to 10 as soon as I clutch-in and gas-off.

This behavior does NOT start when the engine has warmed up; it's at
operating temperature in a few minutes.  After 10 or 15 minutes of driving,
the pressure appears to be trending lower, but hasn't reached alarmingly low
levels yet.

I don't know how new this behavior is... honestly once I observed my
pressure seemed to be OK, I stopped looking at it (I had more concerns with
temperature than oil pressure so my attention was diverted).

My oil and filter are relatively fresh; under 1000 miles old.

Is this just a bad batch of oil?  Is it maybe the wrong weight for summer
driving?  Or am I looking at something more difficult, like a failing oil
pump?

Thanks in advance.
--Scott

Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 01:29:44 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

That rattling noise you hear is probably slugs of liquid and gas
passing through the hose when you first start up the A/C until the
pressures stabilize. It could mean an overcharge but I suspect it has
more to do with the fact that Freeze-12 is not R-12 but probably a
blend of several refrigerents, some which condense out and some which
don't when the system shuts down. If the system seems to operate
normaly (except for the noise) then try strap-tying the hoses tighter
and/or using foam to jam in between the frame, underbody, and hose to
keep the hose from jumping around. If you hear the compressor making
bad sounding rattling noises then it is pumping liquid and that will
be bad for it's longevity.

Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 01:38:02 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Need Shaft seals for Sanden compressor

John Hervey at specialtauto.com

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Michael Parish" <mparish.ga_at_dml_n...>
wrote:
> My compressor is leaking and I have torn it down and replaced the
gaskets but now need to replace the shaft seals and can not find
anyone who carries these. Any one have and suggestions on where I
can get a shaft seal kit for a Sanden/Sankyo SD-510 compressor?

Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 19:21:34 -0700
From: "Lauren" <LPLand_at_dml_earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: DCS 2006 Suggestions

Just my 2 pesos.   Since I've not been to a show, perhaps I can  add
an objective opinion as to what I'd hope to walk away with.  For me,
a successful event would give me the opportunity to meet other D
owners from around the country and especially some of the more
frequent and knowledgeable posters to this list so I can thank you in
person.  I'd love to learn more about my car so tech sessions are a
big plus.  I'd love to see everyone else's car, be they works in
progress or concours winners.  I'd love to see video/slides/stills of
the works in progress.  I love the idea of a Delorean run with a
stream of Deloreans.  How I wish I could have driven the Dragons
Tail.  Whoever (sorry I can't remember where I saw it) put video of
the drive on a website -- thank you!! It was outstanding.   Frankly I
could care less about what kind of food is served or music. I can eat
and listen to CDs at home.   Prizes? Sure - everyone likes to be a
winner.  I claim the prize for buying the D with the most rigged
parts.  I'll bring the plumbing elbow stamped Thailand  that we
pulled out of my cooling system to the next show - in my hand!!

Hope to see you all next time.

.......................LP

Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 01:54:24 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Pigeon Forge DISCUSSION disappointing-NOT!

I also was unable to attend PF. I also enjoy reading about it, the
good AND the bad. No event will ever please everyone so I think it is
great to hear about what can be improved so the next one is even
better. Unfortunatly I am sure there will be things someone will not
like in 2006, every event is different. The most important thing to be
learned from all of this discussion is that if anyone thinks they have
a better way to do something or an idea for a new activity, they
should be willing to not only criticize (constructively of course) but
should be able to offer positive advice and be ready to back that up
with the effort needed to accomplish it. For instance I doubt if most
have ANY idea what it takes to organize even a small, local event. You
generaly start ONE YEAR in advance. By the time the event comes up you
have had to replan it several times because so many things that you
thought were done have to be done all over because of scheduling
conflicts, people changing, etc. Just trying to coordinate setting up
the Deloreans in assembly line fashion or chronologically is a
logistical volunteer nightmare! What sounds like a great idea will be
near impossible to pull off with limited volunteer help. One car out
of sequence could wreck the whole presentation. Grouping the cars is a
whole lot more doable. In fact most car shows do manage to do that
easily. If everyone keeps up this level of involvement from now until
2006 then I am sure that show will be GREAT! Sadely this will not be
the case and Ken will do most of his behind-the-scenes work pretty
much by himself. For all his effort you will have a few that will
point out the shortcomings and have no idea how much sweat he put into
just getting the whole thing to work at all. Not only did he put the
show together but he and Josh and Dave Swingle built a Delorean to
raffle off. What were YOU doing these past 2 years!

Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 21:25:55 -0500
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

Alex,

About 10-20% of the cars at PF were trailered.  All the others were
driven.  The farest driven was from Los Angeles.  You are about a 15
hour drive away.

Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 22:25:45 -0400
From: jwit6_at_dml_cs.com
Subject: RE: Re: [DMLWhats a Delorean Worth?

Putting the stock intake back on is easy. So is putting the stock seats back in. They're in perfect shape. And there are no irreversible mods. You're right, a person with experience, familiarity with DeLoreans and technical ability would see the mods differently than a new comer would.

I'd be willing to roll back the mods (Intake and seats) if thats what it would take, but I'd hate to take off the EFI. It's just too nice an upgrade to go back to CIS.

Thanks Dave for your perspective.
Jim 6147

Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 03:01:25 -0000
From: "ronin5030" <yahoo_at_dml_oneskydojo.com>
Subject: Re: Oil Pressure Weirdness

On #17084 I was getting some weird readings for oil pressure too. At
one point the pressure would go off the scale (pegged straight up)
and then would return to normal.

I ordered a new Oil Pressure sending unit (the one calibrated
properly - about $35). When I installed it I found the wire going to
the original sender was loose so when it was off the gauge would be
pegged. After replacing it I have had steady and normal readings ever
since.

I don't mean to say the sending unit is the problem but it is a easy
way to rule out what I think is the most probable cause.

Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 21:58:49 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Scott, What weight oil are you running and how old id the sending unit.

Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 09:10:07 -0000
From: "stainlessillusion2000" <dmcman_at_dml_hawaii.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Pigeon Forge Show disappointing

ok....i just reactivated my account and i have to add my two
cents....it was hell to get to pigeon forge from hawaii.....we flew
all over the place....we flew to nashville and drove to pigeon
forge.....when i got there i was not disappointed......the show was
great...sure there are certain bad things about a good
thing....nothing can be perfect......but it was all in all a great
show......i have only one complaint...i got the stomach flu while in
pigeon forge.....but the show was great....the vendors were
plentiful....there was a lot more cars......very nice people.....i
had a great time talking with everyone.....i had fun making my
sunstar model and bringing it to the show....i may be repeating what
everyone else said but ken put on a great show......i will see you
all at pheasent's run......

John
Hawaii

Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 05:58:31 -0400
From: "Scott McMullan" <mcmullas_at_dml_bellatlantic.net>

I wish I could give you real answers to these questions, but... I haven't
changed the sending unit and the P.O. didn't mention it in the list of work
he had done to the car (I've had it for almost a year), and I left the
choice of oil weight up to the shop where I had it changed.  I can hear a
chorus of *gasp*'s from the readers out there (I didn't change my own oil...
what a scandal), but the fact is I was having the state inspection done, the
oil change was overdue, and my life has been so busy lately that I often
need to make choices that free up my time.

Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 20:16:32 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I think the EFI Mod is one of the most practical
things I have seen.  Any educated DeLorean buyer will
know what headaches the stock fuel system can cause.
This should be a selling point.

The economy is not so good.. If you car was stock, I
think you would be having the same difficulty in
selling.  It has not been for sale that long, has it?

When Ken was storing one of his cars at my house, a
local kid stopped by asking if it was for sale.  I
then opened the garage and showed him the other 3 I
had inside..  I think he is on the DML, but just in
case I will try and find his number to see if he is
interested in your car.

Have you considered EBAY?

<SNIP>

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 21:12:07 -0700
From: "Lauren" <LPLand_at_dml_earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Re: Pigeon Forge DISCUSSION disappointing-NOT!

>Just trying to coordinate setting up
> the Deloreans in assembly line fashion or chronologically is a
> logistical volunteer nightmare!

I've loved the idea of presenting all the Deloreans sequentially since
it was proposed.  Why not just post photos  of exterior/interior with
VINs in numerical order on a giant bulletin board with each
corresponding owner's name and contact info at the show?  That
way the car wouldn't even have to be at the show, but we could all
see how many we can account for and what they look like today. I'd
gladly volunteer to organize this.

.....................LP

Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 08:59:55 -0400
From: "Dave Stragand" <dave.stragand_at_dml_forwardlook.net>

> My compressor is leaking and I have torn it down and replaced the
> gaskets but now need to replace the shaft seals and can not find anyone
> who carries these. Any one have and suggestions on where I can get a
> shaft seal kit for a Sanden/Sankyo SD-510 compressor?

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, I believe the SD-508 seals and
gaskets work in the 510.  I have purchased a few things from this site, and
they have the seal kit:
http://www.acsource.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS
<http://www.acsource.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=329>
&Category=329

In any event, Sanden's web site lists the seal kit (and everything else) as
being the same for a 508:  http://www.sanden.com/parts/sd5.html

-Dave Stragand
VIN #05927
http://www.projectvixen.com

Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 14:39:07 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

There isn't anything wrong with taking your car to a shop to get the
oil changed. If you're pressed for time, that's understandable.
However, leaving it all up to the shop to choose the oil, that's
definetly a big no-no! It doesn't matter who makes the oil, or what
the people in the shop think. It's the engine itself which determines
the oil, not the guy filling it. To help determine which kind you
use, check either the Owners Manual, or the back archives.

As for the gague read outs on the dash, I honestly don't know a
specific answer, other than perhaps go back, install an OEM oil
filter, and refill the motor with the proper weight oil. I've only
recently installed a properly calibrated sending unit, and have only
run 15w40 oil in it. So if I were to run a lighter, or heavier oil, I
don't know yet how much that would affect the gague. But with mine,
around 50PSI _at_dml_ idle is normal, and 40 or so when warm. Durring a fast
rev, I don't beleive that the pressure has gone past 70PSI...

Now, if you want to know if you have the original sending unit
installed, look at you oil pressure gague. Durring idle, the needle
occasionally clicking between a few PSI is normal. But if you've got
the incompatable/uncalibrated sending unit from the factory, you'll
see the needle violently bouce all over the place, and almost
constantly. Rev the motor up higher than idle, and the needle almost
always pegs out _at_dml_ 80PSI. From you previous description, it sounds
like it's already been replaced.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Scott McMullan" <mcmullas_at_dml_b...>

Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 15:33:46 -0000
From: "gullwingmagazine" <gullwingmagazine_at_dml_juno.com>
Subject: Re: How do you Top Pigeon Forge (newspaper articles)

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Jake Kamphoefner" <jakekamp_at_dml_s...>
wrote:
> Ken, could you (or anyone else for that matter) scan that newspaper
article
> and post it on the DCS site or in the photo section of Yahoo?  I
wanted to
> see it, but they were all gone by the time I got out of bed.  I'm
not
> surprised!
>
> Jake "hoping to never win the Josh award" Kamphoefner
> -speaking for me and 1063 ;-)

Jake:

We've got you covered!  Watch your "in" box for a scan of the article
titled "Crashing the show" on page A5 of The Mountain Press,
Saturday, June 19, 2004.  We're also sending a copy to Ken K. and
Dave S. if they want to put it up... if it isn't already.

Also including a scan of the front page of the Tennessee Star
Journal, June 16-22, 2004 with the article titled "The DeLorean Car
Show At Smoky Shadows" (& cont. on page 4).  When we left the hotel
on Monday to continue on with our extended trip with the DeLorean
Touring Society (for almost another full week), there was still a
stack of newspapers in our hotel stairway, so I have 17 extra
copies.  If anyone wants an original cut-out of the article, send a
SASE to Gullwing Magazine, P.O. Box 991, St. Peters, MO  63376 or
contact us at gullwingmagazine(at)juno.com if you'd like the postage
rate for shipping the entire newspaper.

-Still smiling & recovering from the greatest DeLorean show of the
year...

Ron and Cheryl Wester
Gullwing Magazine

Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 09:09:05 -0400
From: "Dom Diaz" <dom_diaz_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Eurofest 2006

Martin, will there be a tour of the old factory and other Delorean related
events?? Thanks.

Dom

Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 17:32:15 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Some things to check first. Before you start the motor for the day
check the oil level when the car is cold, on level ground. It should
be between the high and low marks. Next make sure that the wire is
securely attached to the sender unit and is not caught, frayed, or
otherwise damaged. If that doesn't help you should remove the sender
and use a known, good mechanical pressure gauge to make sure the motor
is OK. If the pressures on the motor are allright then you can figure
the sender unit is causing the false readings if all the other gauges
seem to be working. If you have the origional O.E.M unit, it never
worked right in the first place anyway. I think PNDMC or Midwest
Delorean sells a replacement or you can try Autozone. Ask for a Wells
PS-136. Be careful, some replacements require a small angle fitting so
it clears the oil filter. BTW weird pressure readings that are
confirmed by a mechanical gauge can be caused by the wrong filter. You
should have the Perflux installed even though it costs a little more
than a piece of sh-t you can find locally. The quality of oil filters
varys from top-of-the-line to what looks like a roll of toilet paper
in a tin can!

Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 09:12:09 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Scott, 20/40 or 20/50 as recommended in the service book is what to use.
Shops normally use 10/30 if not instructed to do different and that will
effect the reading. Naturally if the sending unit is old the reading coupled
with the wrong weight oil or should I say different weight oil will effect
the output.