From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2102
Date: Saturday, July 03, 2004 1:40 PM

1. Re: Pass door lock malfunction
From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>

2. Re: Stainless steel coolant resovoir
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. British Invade Gettysburg (Pennsylvania)
From: Jeremy Delaney <thesmokingman_at_dml_comcast.net>

4. Re: PF show... one more thing...
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

5. Re: Fuel accumulator Test
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

6. Re: Suggestions for DCS 2006
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

7. RE: PF show... one more thing...
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_mchsi.com>

8. Re: Fuel accumulator Test
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

9. Re: PF show... one more thing...
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2004 07:30:26 -0000
From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>
Subject: Re: Pass door lock malfunction

Dani,

> off-go figure. I did notice that near the solenoid theres a
> plastic piece with 3 contacts in it; one in the middle, and one to
> either side.

Yep. That's the "U" thing I was trying to describe. Maybe it's more
like a "W"? I don't know. I have an easier time describing things if I
 can show a picture of it. :)

> It seems that when you move the lock switch, there's a
> contact plate that rubs over 2 of the contacts pending if the lock
> is in the locked position or unlocked position.

Exactly. This is nothing but a basic "sensor" of sorts. So when you
lock or unlock a door manually, the contact plate connects the center
contact to one of the other two, which actuates your door locks.
That's why when you press the button on one door, the other door does
the same thing. Except the door lock module can't control which door
to acutate, so it just actuates both.

> Well when I move it in to
> the lock position the contact plate moves right over the one contact
> so its about in the middle of that part of the plate, when I move it
> to unlock, the other plate only goes a little bit over the other
> contact. The one in the middle always has a good amount over it to
> contact. I hope you know what I'm talking about.

Absolutely, and this is your problem. The middle one will always have
a good amount of the contact plate on it - this is how it should be.
But when you unlock your doors, that contact plate isn't moving far
enough. It's hovering right there on the edge of the "lock" contact,
so any slight movements of the door linkages - such as trying to open
the door - shifts the contact plate just enough that it touches the
"lock" side, and your doors lock.

Notice how, when you flip your doors to lock, the plate moves pretty
far away from the one contact? When you flip it to unlock, it should
move about the same length away from the other contact.

> My thoughts were perhaps these parts weren't making a
> complete contact and tripping the locks back to locked

Nope - your problem is that these parts are making *too good* of a
contact. If you remove that plate entirely, you will solve your
problem completely - but then you won't be able to press the
lock/unlock button on the passenger's side and have the driver's side
respond in turn. But it will work the other way around.

That plate makes contact, and the act of making contact is what
triggers the door lock (or unlock, depending on which contact is made
- center to upper, or center to lower). Making an incomplete contact
does nothing.

Now that you know where the problem is, it's time to fix it. You can't
adjust that contact plate by itself - at least, not that I could see
when I played with mine last night. You need to adjust the lock
linkages instead. I don't exactly know how to do this in your case,
but mine was easy: There is a rod that connects to your lock/unlock
solenoid. It runs toward the front of the car, along the bottom of the
door. About halfway to the front of the car it bends up a bit. If you
follow this rod you will find that it leads to the door latch nearest
the front of the car. Look up in there and try locking/unlocking your
doors manually. See if that rod is smoothly moving the latch.

In my case, it wasn't. The rod was bending a bit, "binding up" and not
moving the latch very well. My method for "adjusting" the rod was to
slip it into a plastic clip. Just so happens that there's a little
plastic clip in the bottom-center-ish of the door right next to the
rod. I think it's for holding electrical wires, but there weren't any
in mine. It was just empty. I slipped the rod in there just to see
what would happen and it completely fixed the problem. My door latch
now works smoothly and the little lock/unlock contacts move as far as
they are supposed to. Maybe the rod is supposed to go through that
plastic thing and mine slipped out, I don't know. But it worked for me.

At any rate, somehow your door linkages just aren't working as
smoothly as they should. You'll have to play with the locks a bunch
and find out where things are going wrong. Once you fix that, the
contact thing will fix itself. Don't concentrate too much on that
little contact. Concentrate on the entire locking mechanism as a
whole. Whatever problem you're having with those metal rods is what's
causing the contact to not move far enough away from the lock position
to avoid triggering it when you open your door.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out!

Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2004 08:06:14 -0000
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Stainless steel coolant resovoir

If I were to replace mine I would use the stainless resevoir from
www.pjgrady.com

And if I remember right, DMCH doesn't sell stainless, they only sell
aluminum I believe. Visually the stainless one is better looking
than the ugly black aluminum one, which reminds me of a coffee can.
But the only thing I don't like is that with both of them, you can't
watch your coolant level, aka they are not translucent like the
plastic ones.

Get Grady's if you want a nice stainless one.

Joe O'Brien

2425 & 16634

Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2004 05:16:16 -0400
From: Jeremy Delaney <thesmokingman_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: British Invade Gettysburg (Pennsylvania)

I'm planning to try and attend the British Invade Gettysburg car show
that is happening Sunday, July 11th (10a-2p). It would be great if it
was more than just me there. If anyone else is interested in attending
please send me a message in private. -Jeremy Delaney

http://clubs.hemmings.com/frameset.cfm?club=lancomg
http://www.gettysburgoutlets.com/maps/index.html

Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2004 07:48:03 EDT
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: PF show... one more thing...

In a message dated 7/3/2004 12:42:08 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
danrc30_at_dml_hotmail.com writes:
PS- I actually do have one complaint... Ken can never seem to spell my last
name correctly. It's even spelled wrong on the awards section on the website...
TWICE!!! :-P

This time its not me
I did not do the list of awards and I have no idea who did.  How all that
stuff got up there is the magic of Gary and some other dedicated DeLorean People.
 I am sure he got the list from some mystery person who diligently took down
names as they were read
.
The fact that it is up there so quick cool.

And you are right we did spell your name wrong it should have been E V I L  D
A N
we will correct it.

Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2004 07:34:22 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Fuel accumulator Test

This test may not solve Dani's hot start problem if the accumulator
piston is leaking too badly -- will simply fill up with fuel BEHIND it.

Alternative test is to pull that hose loose, jump the RPM relay, and
see if fuel comes out (from the accumulator).

That hose loops back to the tank via CI return line.

Is not normally supposed to have fuel from the accumulator in it.

If fuel leaks past the piston in the accumulator, CI has little/no
pressure until engine is running and RPM relay closes (that's why the
engine won't start -- no fuel is coming out of the injectors). Isn't a
problem for the cold start injector because it's electrically operated.

Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2004 07:59:33 EDT
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Suggestions for DCS 2006

In case you had not noticed there is a growing sense of fear in some that
posting to the DML may be hazardous to your health.

I recieve a number of these post on the show that I think the rest of the
posts were pretty good.  Both of these people below had posts I think all of you
would have liked but they did not because of obvious reasons.

I try to run fun events that are open to everyone so that we can unite the
DeLorean Community and would encourage all to do so as well.  The two are just a
sample of what I have been getting in private.

I would like to offer my observations as well, but do so not on the list, for
I don't want to incur the wrath of XXXXX XXXX!! :) (name deleted so as not to
offend anyone but I bet you can guess who)

I thought I would throw in another suggestion for DCS 2006. I am too shy
(and scared ;-) ) to post this on the DML

How many others feel this way.

Just my observation

Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2004 08:25:33 -0500
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_mchsi.com>

PS- I actually do have one complaint... Ken can never seem to spell my last
name correctly. It's even spelled wrong on the awards section on the
website... TWICE!!! :-P

Evil, I thought the correct spelling of your last name was "Dan".

Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2004 13:29:47 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

I don't understand that comment. All the fuel hoses are full of fuel
all the time. By clamping off that relief line you will stop the
accumulator from allowing pressure on the high side to bleed down
quickly. This is not a permanent fix by any means but is a very
legitimate way to test for the problem.

The cold start injector,although electrically operated, still
requires pressure from the fuel pump to work. It does not have it's
own pump. The reason it works is that it will let fuel thru at much
lower pressure than the mechanical injectors. But it still needs
pressure and a working fuel pump.

Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2004 13:31:07 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

Mea Culpa. I gave Gary the winner list, mis-spellings and all. At
least I didn't call you Marc Levy again.

Dave Swingle