From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2112
Date: Saturday, July 10, 2004 2:41 PM

1. Re: Vacuuming A/C
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

2. Window came off the track
From: Michael Paine <mpaine_at_dml_tycomsystems.com>

3. Re: DCS 2004
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

4. Re: Vandalism to my D
From: "Matt" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

5. Re: Re: Help--Lost all Brakelights!  Fixed, sort of
From: PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com

6. Re: Vacuuming A/C
From: "johnzd81" <johnzd81_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. Re: Window came off the track
From: kevin creason <kcreason77_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. Re: Delorean in NH in need of some TLC
From: "eremhcel" <dmcfive0_at_dml_aol.com>

9. Re: Vandalism to my D
From: "Dani B" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

10. Re: Vandalism to my D
From: "wayofcain" <wayofcain_at_dml_yahoo.com>

11. Continued: Vacuuming A/C
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

12. Bearing and fuel update
From: "Dani B" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

13. Re: Re: Help--Lost all Brakelights!  Fixed, sort of
From: PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com

14. dash cracks
From: "andy" <andydandy777_at_dml_aol.com>

15. RHD pedal box?
From: nicholden_at_dml_yahoo.com

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 14:10:53 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Vacuuming A/C

When you only partially evacuate an A/C system you do not remove all
the gases including water "vapor". The only way to do it properly is
to pull a "hard" vacuum. The results of not doing it thoughly is that
the system pressures will be higher because of the gases you did not
remove, you will not get the proper charge of refrigerent in because
of the presence of the non-condensable gases in the system, and the
worst, the moisture will combine with the refrigerent oil to
contaminate it and turn it acidic. This will corrode the insides
plugging up the smalll passages, damaging seals and ruining the moving
parts of the compressor. If the automakers could get away with the
added expense of having to pull a "hard" vacuum don't you think they
would? Sometimes you just have to buy the right tools to do some jobs.
This is why I recomend that for A/C work (and alignment work) where
the "cost of admission", ie the tools, is so high and used so
infrequently, that you should just go to a shop and have the work
done. Ditto for fixing and balancing tires, and emissions testing. BTW
the consequences of not vauuming out a system properly are supposed to
be even worse for -134. Years ago there used to be a kit you could buy
that allowed you to pump up tires with the motor by removing a spark
plug. It isn't sold anymore. It seems it fills the tire with a
COMBUSTABLE  mixture of air and GASOLINE! Using a heat gun does not do
away with the need to pull a hard vacuum, all it does is speed up the
process. No one can tell you what and how to work on your cars, I am
only pointing out the disadvantages of your method. Someday you may
sell one of your cars and the A/C may not be working so well because
of this. You could fill the A/C system with Propane and it would cool
good too but I don't hear anyone trying that although it is a lot
cheaper than R-12!

Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 15:38:14 -0400
From: Michael Paine <mpaine_at_dml_tycomsystems.com>
Subject: Window came off the track

My passenger side toll booth window has come off it's track. Looking inside the
door I see 2 nylon guides that seem to clip onto 2 metal runners that guide the
window up and down at an angle. The front edge clip is no longer on the metal
guide. How do I fix this?

regards,

Michael
vin6067

Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 16:29:14 -0500
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>
Subject: Re: DCS 2004

Now that the discussion about DCS 2004 has quited down.  I thought I
would add my 2 cents to the discussion.

Some of my friends know that we also belong to the

Camaro Club
Oldsmobile Club
Nash Club
Metropolitan Club
British Car Union,
and, DOA

I make this point because we have been to many other national cars shows
and convensions all over the country including DOAs.   I can tell you
from real world COMPARISIONS,  that no other national or local cars show
comes even close to what Ken puts on.  The prespective that is most
important here is that WE ARE DEALING WITH A VERY SMALL POPULATION OF
ONLY 8000+ cars.  NO OTHER LIMITED PRODUCTION CAR HAS ANY SHOW LIKE THIS.

Sure, the Corvair and Corvette shows are bigger (hey at DCS 2006 we will
be where they have their shows!)  BUT LOOK AT THE SIZE OF THE POTENTIAL
MEMBERSHIP

1,000,000 Corvette!!  500,000 Corvairs   only 8,000+ DeLoreans.

What Ken does for free, these other car clubs have thousands of dollars
to orchastrate.     HOW MANY DELOREAN PEOPLE HAVE HELPED KEN ? ONLY A
FEW HAVE!!

I can tell you that at these other national car shows,  ALL local clubs
MUST participate and help out at the SHOW.

WELL, FOR DCS 2006  WE ARE GOING TO ASK ALL LOCAL DELOREAN CLUBS TO
VOLUNTEER TIME TO HELP OUT AT THE SHOW. !!!

ALSO AT OTHER NATIONAL CAR SHOWS EACH CLUB DONATES SOME CAR RELATED ITEM
FOR A SILENT AUCTION TO SUPPORT THE SHOW.

WELL, FOR DCS 2006  WE ARE GOING TO ASK ALL LOCAL DELOREAN CLUBS TO
DONATE A CAR RELATED ITEM FOR A SILENT AUCTION. !!!

IF WE WANT AN AUTOCROSS OR SALOM RACE - IT IS GOING TO TAKE PEOPLE .
 THIS CAN NOT HAPPEN WITHOUT VOLUNTEERS!!

If people want food alternatives at this show, it is going to be very
costly and much more difficult.  HOWEVER, if that is what people want -
THEY NEED TO SAY SO NOW!! AND WHAT KIND OF FOOD THEY WANT!!!

CARS SHOWS ARE WHAT THE MEMBERS MAKE THEM.

IF YOU DON'T VOLUNTEER YOUR TIME-IMHO- YOU HAVE NO RIGTH TO COMPLAIN.

BOB

Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 04:39:28 -0000
From: "Matt" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>
Subject: Re: Vandalism to my D

Very sorry to hear about your incident.
This reminds me of the time my friend parked his 2001 Mercedes
SLK230 outside of a bar with the top down, although the result of
that was worse than what you're describing.  I still refuse to park
my car anywhere I cannot see it, even after owning it for a year.
Maybe I'm uptight, but I save my Malibu for the trips where I'm
suspicious.

Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 18:30:02 EDT
From: PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: Help--Lost all Brakelights!  Fixed, sort of

Thanks for the tips.   I will check the condition of the connectors
themselves and unplug/replug them a few times.   I took out the back wall and checked
out the wiring harness as best I could.   Things looked fine---no
melting/burning to them that I could see.   While it was out I also kept the brake down
with the car running for a good 10 minutes to check for smoke/burning smells,
none of which happened.   I think that the fuse blew in time to prevent any
damage to the harness (at least I hope so).   As for the 3rd brakelight that is
since ripped out, it would only work one way, if the wires were reversed nothing
would light (it was a cheap piece of crap made in China, the quality and feel
left a lot to be desired, which I should have taken into account before
attempting to install it).   Anyway, thanks for the tips, if anyone else comes up
with any other ideas, don't hesitate to post on the DML or email directly at
PRC1216(at)aol.com.

Thanks guys, you are a valuable asset.
Patrick

Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 23:14:18 -0000
From: "johnzd81" <johnzd81_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I just bought a pump at Harbor Freight for $10.00, does 30#hb.
Haven't tried it out yet, but bought to use on my 94 Dakota A/C.
May be worth looking into if you want to do your own A/C.  Still
need the gauges and manifolds etc...

Good Luck
VIN1674

Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 17:02:00 -0700 (PDT)
From: kevin creason <kcreason77_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Window came off the track

You have to take it off in order to put it back on
right.

Here's how to keep it from happening again (and
removal instructions).
http://texascreasons.homedns.org/kevin/delorean/howto/window_track.html

Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 00:08:36 -0000
From: "eremhcel" <dmcfive0_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Delorean in NH in need of some TLC

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Michael M" <kenshin_at_dml_o...> wrote:
> Cool, what all can then work on with the car?
>
> Mike

They have replaced my clutch cylinders, fixed my brakes and rebuilt
the calipers, did some A/C work, replaced my steering column bushing
plus a few other things. If I don't want to attempt the work then I
bring it to them. I never had any trouble with them.

Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 00:56:39 -0000
From: "Dani B" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

Although I have been lucky and never had anything happen to my Delo
(knock on wood), I did install a similar paging alarm. I like mine
with the siren off, most times people don't even pay attention to
alarms and when they go off-no one even looks usually people just want
it to shut up. I like mine off because when I get paged I'm ready to
surprise the person setting it off, and if they are damaging my car
I'll be ready to kick some a$$. But I have been very lucky-reminds me
of a time after college one day I got in my car- I looked in my
passenger mirror and saw my spare key in the lock-for 2 hours it was
in the lock and I was lucky enough no one saw it and stole my car,
that was before the alarm..I felt like a complete idiot. Anyway, that
alarm you describe does sound like a good idea to chirp as someones
looking in or too close-should make one to go off when someone touches
the stainless! Every owner should get an alarm regardless of what type
it is. Some people like to be cruel since it's the bttf car. I watch
kids all the time around my town from the roof of my building, watched
them get ready to bash the rear lights of a SSR until I yelled out at
them. Always watch your car, and if you can't, a paging system with a
shock sensor is the next best thing. -Dani B. 5003

Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 01:02:45 -0000
From: "wayofcain" <wayofcain_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Just a word of warning about those "Microwave" zone alarms. I just
tore mine out of my 64 Fairlane. It was a dual zone. I thought it
would be perfect at shows, step too close and it chirped, stick an
arm in the open window it went off. You didn't even have to touch the
car.

It took about 60 seconds for it to set up it's "bubble" when first
armed and seemed flawless. I could arm it at the cruise ins and walk
away to look at other cars.

That was until I learned that if a bug flew in and buzzed around, or
if it started raining in the middle of the night or a cat walked
under the car it would start screaming. Drove me nuts. The bubbles
can be adjusted but its never perfect.

Like I said, research it before you plunk down the money, I spent
alot of money just to end up being the guy with the alarm constantly
going off.

Cain Grimes

Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 01:30:25 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Continued: Vacuuming A/C

With all due respect, I am not filling my A/C system with "a
COMBUSTABLE  mixture of air and GASOLINE". It's a vacuum -- air is
moving in the other direction.

Good luck finding a third party to work on vintage A/C in Laurinburg
NC. If I can't do it for the Lincolns, absolutely guarantee I'll never
be able to do it for my DeLorean. How do you think I started doing my
own A/C work anyway?

Ditto for clutch disc replacement. Asked all over town with negative
results.

Perhaps auto repair possibilities are different in the Northeast. Down
South, third party mechanics have more than enough business working on
cars they know and understand. There's absolutely no incentive for
them to even consider a DeLorean.

I'm not opposed to pulling a 29 inch vacuum. That's why I dragged all
that freon to Pigeon Forge -- had Walt made it to DC in time I would
have availed myself of his vacuum pump and recharged the system.

Please note Dave Swingle posted several disclaimers to his web site.
Every summer it seems R134 threads become inflammatory and vitriolic.
I guess my methods are just more fuel in the fire. For that reason
might be best if future discussions are handled off List
(brobertson(at)carolina.net).

Freon is flammable too, BTW.

Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 01:36:39 -0000
From: "Dani B" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Bearing and fuel update

Today I installed the bearing in the rear hub carrier, it went very
fast and I didn't even need a press-took about 1:45, maybe 2 hours. I
also installed the steering parts I purchased. This was both joints as
well as a new bushing. With a test drive the car was a lot more quite
aside from the usual rear tire noise, and I have some awsome steering
now, I can finally keep the car in a straight line! The only thing is
the steering wheel still vibrates at 55/60 MPH, it feels the same as
warped rotors would while braking. I believe it is just an alignment
that will cure this, it can't think of anything else it could be,
everythings new. As for the fuel problem I was having, I put a new
pump in and the car's performing a lot better-before I'd every now and
then have a quick hesitation while driving, and a lot of hesitation
under load-not anymore. Even tho I now have moths flying from my
wallet when it's opened after all these parts, I am very happy with
the results! Anyway I just thought I'd give an update, with the
steering fixed it's like driving a whole new car! Dani B, VIN5003

Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 22:32:44 EDT
From: PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com

Its fixed, thanks for the help and suggestions.  Turns out I switched wires
on the brake switch last night trying to fix the problem (since I have 3 wires,
one of which just hangs down).   I am not sure how I swapped those before
checking the fuses, but I must have.   I guess when you see an electrical system
smoking out your rearview mirror, you do crazy things.   :)

Thanks again for the tips.
Patrick

Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 13:15:41 -0000
From: "andy" <andydandy777_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: dash cracks

old #3513 has two cracks in the dash (flat part next to the window)
that runs from the windshield to the edge of the dash. I am sure
someone out there has had this problem also, short of replacing the
dash panel has anyone found a fix for this? I can fill the cracks up
with black silcone and smooth it out but maybe someone has a better
repair method. The crack are about a 1/8 of a inch wide and are a
eye sore.

Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 08:39:48 -0000
From: nicholden_at_dml_yahoo.com
Subject: RHD pedal box?

Hi, I am just about to have my existing pedal box heavely modified
to suit the rhd conversion, I know the rhd factory cars have 2
additional brake servos ( 1 front and 1 rear) when the rhd
conversion was done. I was just wondering if anyone can tell me why
this was? and what is their purpose. I was planning on having the
existing brake lines lenghtened to reach the new positon on the r/h
side. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers, Nick 10927