From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2115
Date: Monday, July 12, 2004 8:52 PM

1. Re: Vandalism to my D
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

2. RE: I need some ammunition
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

3. Re: Replacing rigid clutch line with flexible
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

4. German DeLorean Meeting
From: klaus.steiner_at_dml_t-online.de

5. Solutions to binnacle problems
From: "darrendiver" <darrendiver_at_dml_yahoo.com>

6. Gold Delorean in Snyder, Texas - NEW INFO
From: "Dom Diaz" <dom_diaz_at_dml_hotmail.com>

7. Buried Deloreans in Westfield?
From: "erikgeerdink" <erikgeerdink_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. Re: I need some ammunition
From: Eric Itzel <eric_at_dml_seviernet.com>

9. Re: Vandalism to my D
From: kayoong_at_dml_aol.com

10. Re: I need some ammunition
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

11. Re: Gold Delorean in Snyder, Texas
From: "dom1172" <dom_diaz_at_dml_hotmail.com>

12. My L.E.D. experience
From: Holler <thehauntfactory_at_dml_att.net>

13. Re: New Owner Questions
From: billsfanmd_at_dml_aol.com

14. Re: I need some ammunition
From: "thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_cox.net>

15. Re: Third Party A/C Techs
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

16. Re: Re: I need some ammunition
From: Rod Dillman <rhdillman_at_dml_yahoo.com>

17. Re: I need some ammunition
From: "erikgeerdink" <erikgeerdink_at_dml_yahoo.com>

18. Re: Re: Timing marks on crankshaft pulley
From: Jim Strickland <ihaveanaccount_at_dml_juno.com>

19. Re: Solutions to binnacle problems
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

20. Parts for sale, moving
From: "Ancira Internet Department" <awolf_at_dml_ancira.com>

21. Re: I need some ammunition
From: "kaffinekrazed" <kaffine_at_dml_cox.net>

22. RE: Re: I need some ammunition
From: "Ancira Internet Department" <awolf_at_dml_ancira.com>

23. Re: I need some ammunition
From: tonilfhs98_at_dml_aol.com

24. Re: Gold Delorean in Snyder, Texas - NEW INFO
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

25. Continued: Timing marks on crankshaft pulley
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 02:40:26 -0500
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Vandalism to my D

Your average thug will not know how to do this.
They will just get frusterated and damage something.
If a real theif wants your car he will get it.

The whole point of the conversation was, alarms help.
If you are a thief and the car is wailing you might just split.

The best part about a silent pagin system is that you can sneak up on them
when they think they are safe.....and I don't care what THEY are packing,
becuase they will never see me coming.

I would LOVE to catch someone messing with my car.
Talk about a good time.
We know how to treat a criminal in Texas.
- VB

Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 02:54:36 -0500
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: I need some ammunition

...tell your Dad that if he loves you and respects your opinion, and feels
that he brought you up good enough to make your own decisions he will
support you.
It will be work, and it will be costly but the fun you will have with it
together will make
it all worth it the first time you go down to the DQ and a crowd forms
around the car.
In a world of plain cars where you live, you will be like a rock star.

The Delorean can be a perfectly reliable everyday car if you know what you
are doing,
but anyone on here will tell you that you should have another car to use as
a second.
These cars are not good in the rain or weather, and are old technology.
You should wear out your regular car, and use the Delo on special occasions.
Hey, a special occasion is a beer run, but if you drive it to death and you
can't
afford the pre/post maintenance then you might have some down time.
I drive mine all the time, but the Taurus comes in handy when I go shopping.

Avoid the "low milage, original" cars.
You want one with some miles on it and some of the updates done.
There is a $20,000 rule with these cars, if you get one for $15K, you will
sink another
$5K into it.
Usually you find one that runs good and has crappy interior, or the inside
is perfect and
the engine is crap from sitting for 10 years in storage.
Rarely you get both.

- VB

Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 12:25:06 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: Replacing rigid clutch line with flexible

That's a big IF. If the car is weathered (rusty) enough that the
clutch slave line is rusty and stuck, chances are that the crossover
nuts will be in a very permanent state too. That will lead to
breaking studs off the manifolds, and now you've created yourself Yet
Another DeLorean Project. Fixing this will probably require you to
remove the manifold(s) from the engine as drilling out the studs is
very difficult in-place.

Not everyone is ready to replace the exhaust system with flex tubing,
especially if you live in an area where they do emission
testing/inspection.

I have removed the slave, with the line still attached, with the
crossover in place. It's very fiddly working around the heater lines
up there but it can be done.

Dave S

Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 10:11:39 +0200 (CEST)
From: klaus.steiner_at_dml_t-online.de
Subject: German DeLorean Meeting

Last weekend we had our German DeLoren Clubmeeting at the
Oldtimerfestival in Bad Koenig near Frankfurt.
There were 20 DeLoreans from Germany, Netherlands, Belgium and Austria,
pictures are here:

http://www.steinerklaus.de/dmc/badk2004/index.htm

On picture
http://www.steinerklaus.de/dmc/badk2004/Seiten/IMG_0986.htm   you can
see Benny de Meesmakers car from Belgium. That was the DeLorean which
had the crash at the factory-testtrack at Eurofest 2001 in Belfast. The
car was repaired in half a year, everything was fixed, the car looks
like it never had an accident.

And here is Elvis and his car:
http://www.steinerklaus.de/dmc/badk2004/Seiten/IMG_0943.htm    :-)

Klaus & #05980
Germany

Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 12:47:25 -0000
From: "darrendiver" <darrendiver_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Solutions to binnacle problems

Has anyone ever had a Tach go out?  How does it behave when the tach
is bad?  I am getting power to the rear of the binnacle and I have a
tach, fuel gauge not working.  The fuel sender is new but there is no
power to the fuel sender from the gauge.  Also, my transmission is
putting out a signal that it is stuck in second gear.  I had someone
look at the modulator and there was nothing obviously wrong with the
circuit boards.  Can someone give me ideas where else to look.
Thanks.

Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 08:40:51 -0400
From: "Dom Diaz" <dom_diaz_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Gold Delorean in Snyder, Texas - NEW INFO

I had a private viewing and photography session with BOTH gold cars this
past week. Though I will not confirm or deny the current location of the
Snyder one by request of the owner I will say that it is NOT availabale to
be seen publicly yet (no speculation as to when it will be) and also that it
is not for sale but rather in a pending transaction. Look for details on
both in an upcoming two-part article I am working on for DCS magazine (As
long as Ken okays the two-part format).

Dom

Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 14:00:13 -0000
From: "erikgeerdink" <erikgeerdink_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Buried Deloreans in Westfield?

Hi, I was checking out the UK Delorean site and ran across this
article

http://www.deloreans.co.uk/features/inthepress/articles/practical_clas
sics_07_02.jpg

anyone have any more information on this?

Erik

Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 10:30:10 -0400
From: Eric Itzel <eric_at_dml_seviernet.com>

Tom-

In my opinion, it's an uphill battle trying to convince a "rational" adult
that a sports car is the way to go for a young driver, especially in
Northern Maine. I grew up in the midcoast region, and my brother was born in
Presque Isle, so I know what kind of weather and road conditions you face.
The DeLorean is a good car, but that's tough driving for almost any vehicle.

If you can convince them to let you have a car of any type, then you're
gaining ground. Once you get them hooked on letting you have a car, then
upgrade you strategy and shoot for the DeLorean.

I would recommend having a daily driver car in addition to the DMC-
realistically, every DeLorean is 21-23 years old. Any car that old has to be
watched for age and fatigue based problems that appear with no warning-
having a Toyota or something like that is very beneficial.

This strategy worked well with me.

Good luck!

Eric Itzel

Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 11:14:40 EDT
From: kayoong_at_dml_aol.com

Bob:

I love your enthusiasm.   You should come to NYC, your ways may help bring
down the prices of the insurance premiums for our area.

Kayo

Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 13:57:32 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

In general for a young person, such as yourself, it is not such a good
idea to buy a Delorean. Not only must you save up to buy the car you
will have to have a reserve for all the inevetable repairs it will
need (it is a 20 + year old car). Every time it needs repairs it may
take a few days to get the parts. If it is to be a daily driver it
won't be reliable till all the repairs are done. Then there is the
problem of insurance. On top of that the car does not have air bags or
ABS. It is hard to see a Delorean on the road especally around SUV's.
If you are not handy, repair work, even when done incorrectly, is
expensive. I would not get a Delorean for my kids and I can do all the
work on it myself! You would be much better off with something more
"conventional" and save up for the "D" as a second car when you get
more experience and money. Going into this without enough money will
only cause you to hate the car when it breaks down and you can't
afford to fix it. BTW the same advice for the Fiero. If you still need
your father's OK to buy a Delorean maybe you should wait a little
longer or maybe you can talk HIM into getting the "D" and letting you
work on it and drive it.

Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 13:05:17 -0000
From: "dom1172" <dom_diaz_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Gold Delorean in Snyder, Texas

The car actually has 6.9 miles. More details will be in the DCS
article. The pics that don't make it in the magazine will probably go
to Tamir for posting, if he wants them.

Dom

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Christopher Randazzo <car_at_dml_d...> wrote:
> Hey group -
>
> I've been a Delorean owner and lurker of this group since the late
90's (I have an 83 D).  Some of you on here know me, but for the most
part, I stay pretty much quiet and just watch you all...

> Anyways, this 4th of July weekend I drove (not in my D) across
Texas (from where I live in Dallas to my hometown of El Paso) and
decided to see if I could visit the gold Delorean in Snyder, Texas
(all the other times I make the trip it's on a weekend and I figured
the bank would be closed - this time, it was a Friday).

> The bank was super easy to find in downtown Snyder and I got the
first parking spot right up front.  Had my cameras waiting and was
really excited. I walked in to the bank (it was nice - very big
lobby) and looked around for the car.  In the middle, there was a
platform, with glass walls, but it was empty.  I really couldn't tell
if this is where the car should be or not.  I kept looking around,
but was starting to get some stares... ( I guess an out-of-towner
standing in the bank looking all around looked kinda suspicious).  So
I asked the nice lady behind the counter:

> "Excuse me.  This may sound kind of silly, but is there suppose to
be a car in here?"  I asked.

> Her response:  "I'm sorry, honey.  Yes.  It sat it the glass case
behind you for over 20 years.  It was moved out last month."

> The gold Delorean in the Snyder Texas bank is no more.
>
> The lady went on to explain that the owners of the bank (and the
Delorean) recently sold the bank and retired to California, taking
the car with them.  She said it was quite a site to see the car being
rolled out of the bank - they had to remove the bank doors and slowly
wheeled it on the trailer.  According to her, the car had no miles,
never had gas in it, or oil.

> Obviously I was disappointed.  For over 20 years I had been making
the trip across Texas, and I missed seeing the car by a month.

Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 11:29:47 -0400
From: Holler <thehauntfactory_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: My L.E.D. experience

> I noticed that the one's that Delorean Motor Center sells are white. . .

Just to clarify, since my nice experience has become an opportunity for
self promotion ;-)

When I said DeLorean Motor Center sells the l.e.d.'s in standard colors,
I meant red and yellow, since 'white', by most accepted definitions is
devoid of hue.
I also mentioned blue, and VideoBob believes they also offer white as
well, which I did not know!

I prefer the compact size and low profile of DMCenter's custom flat
diodes as compared to the cluster of standard 'bulb' shaped bumps in
other versions.
By making the diodes an intrinsic part -fused within the entire package,
rather than something sticking up on the surface, it makes DMCenter's
product about the same size as the original form of illumination.

Just an observation from a DeLorean consumer.
And by the way, V.B. -You had a lovely metal OUTATIME license plate!
The only one I have ever seen.  Nice job!
Oliver
#10694

Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 11:52:45 EDT
From: billsfanmd_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: New Owner Questions

There are several owners in MD that can help. Its about a 4 hour drive but
myself and Rich Acuti would be happy to help you out if we can. Between the two
of us we have a lot of experiecne working on our cars. Rich has also had some
frame issues he has worked around. Feel free to email off list at
billsfanmd(at)aol.com and see if we can help you

good luck
Mike C

Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 16:04:01 -0000
From: "thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_cox.net>

Tom, here's a link to help state your case to your dad.  It's
directed to a potetial Pantera owner to their spouse, but you get the
idea.

http://www.pantera.net/5waystobuy.pdf

As for your grandma, why don't you ask her if she's ever owned one?
After all, whenever someone tells me that my car is unreliable or a
pile of crap, I like to ask if they have had personal experience with
one.  That usually sends 'em packing.

Johnny
5518

Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 14:24:15 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Third Party A/C Techs

If you are having problems with systems that are not tight you should
improve your methods so that you can make them tight. On most cars you
can do a pretty good job of it. Certain compressors are known for
leaky shaft seals but they can be rebuilt with better ones. A Delorean
can be made very tight. There are many that have not needed to be
recharged and are still running after 20 years. Mine is tight but I
blew the discharge hose a couple of years ago so it had to be replaced
and recharged. The only things I replaced at the time was the hose and
the "O" rings for it, and the service valve cores on the compressor
(just good practice) and of course the R-12 and the refrigerent oil.
Go buy the leak detector solution sold in the A/C shops and use it
liberally over every connection. I agree that a fitting that is not
leaking is best left alone. If you cannot see any leaks then you
probably need a shaft seal. In the wintertime when you don't use the
car you should turn the compressor by hand once in awhile to lubricate
the seal. If you continually add refrigerent you MUST also add oil or
you will burn up the compressor eventually. Leaking refrigerent
carries out some oil with it so it MUST be replaced. If you have the
equipment you can add leak detector to find hard to locate leaks. When
using the leak detector solution (the soap), test the low side with
the system not running and test the high side with the system running
so as to test at the highest possible pressures. Go slowly, a small
leak takes time to make bubbles. I don't like the fancy (expensive)
electronic leak detectors on cars, there is usually too much air
movement for them to work right. They don't like working in a wind
tunnel! You can also make your own leak detector solution with soap
(dishwashing liquid) and glycerin but I prefer to buy it, it seems to
work better and easier and comes in a bottle with a nice brush. Be
careful with the leak detector solution that you add to the system
internaly. Too much can interfere with the operation of the system and
if you spill it, it stains and is hard to remove (especally from skin!).

Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 11:01:06 -0700 (PDT)
From: Rod Dillman <rhdillman_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: I need some ammunition

I know Tom does not want to hear this but I second David's sage advice. Help dad to acquire case of DeLorean fever and then borrow his car. This by the way happened to me. My son convinced me to buy a" fixer" and I got hooked on the car. I am now on my second DeLorean.

David Teitelbaum <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net> wrote:In general for a young person, such as yourself, it is not such a good
[...]

[moderator snip]

Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 17:37:40 -0000
From: "erikgeerdink" <erikgeerdink_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Tom-

I am a young delorean owner.  I'm 23 right now and bought my delorean
when i was 19.  If i had to do it over again, i wouldn't.  Not yet
anyways.  My life has changed drasticly in the past 4 years.  Lets
see:

-I moved away from home (major cash monthly cash expense there)

-Had to buy a reliable everyday car (more money there that I wasn't
planning on)

-Hey, fell in love and am married now (3 years today!!)

-Have 10 month old baby

-Hmmm, needed a place to put wife baby and car....New House.

When I was 19 and thinking of buying a delorean i though, man...i'm
bringing in lots of cash right now...i can afford this.  Things
happen, life priorities change (for the better!!) and the Delorean
went from being the only thing I did with my spare time (or any
time!!) to something I bring out and enjoy whenever i find a free
moment away from everyday life.
I love my Delorean, but life would have been a bit easier financially
had I waited to buy a delorean when I could really afford one.

Just my thoughts, good luck with your decision.

Erik
04512

[moderator snip]

Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 12:42:19 -0400
From: Jim Strickland <ihaveanaccount_at_dml_juno.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Timing marks on crankshaft pulley

1 and 6? How could this be?  From the timing sequence, 1 and 6 fire
"together", and are just a few degrees off.

Jim
1537

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 17:22:49 -0000 "content22207"
<brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net> writes:
> One mark is TDC Cylinder #1, the other is TDC Cylinder #6. PRV
> wierdness (it's a good engine, but definitely has its quirks).
>
> The two marks are 150 degrees apart. Look at the pulley with them
> located  2:30 and 9:30 -- TDC #1 is to your right and TDC #6 is to
> your left.
>
> If your timing scale hasn't been monkeyed with you should be able to
> time the ignition off whichever wire is easiest to access (you may
> find that to be #6).
>
> If your timing scale needs to be re-indexed, the PRV does have a
> nifty
> way to do so: on top of the engine are two block plugs. The one
> closest to the front (our back) accesses the oil galley. The one
> closest to the back accesses a crankshaft counterweight, into which
> an
> 8mm indexing hole is pre-drilled. Rotate the engine close to TDC #1
> (no more that 20 degrees BTDC) and insert a foot long 5/16" drill
> bit
> through the rear hole. The bit will ride on the counterweight.
> Continue rotating the engine until the bit drops into the indexing
> hole (8" or so down from the top of the engine). Cylinder #1 is now
> TDC, and the timing scale can be positioned accordingly.
>
> Crankshaft pulley is of course keyed, and does not have a harmonic
> balancer, so you shouldn't ever need to worry about the timing marks
> themselves.
>
> Bill Robertson

[moderator snip]

Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 19:28:55 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Solutions to binnacle problems

Make sure where the plugs go into the flexible plastic printed circuit
on the back of the dashboard that the copper traces are not mangled up
and are firmly attached to the backing. I would think that because the
fuel gauge and the tach are not working there might be a common problem.
 The trans problem is not related. Why do you think the shift computer
is putting out a "signal" that it is stuck in 2nd gear? All you need
is a light box to see what is going on. The modulater has nothing to
do with which gear the trans is in, all it does is set the line
pressure and reduce it during shifts to make shifting softer. It is
located on the front of the trans and what I think you are calling the
"modulater" is really the shift computer on the side. Maybe it isn't
stuck in 2nd gear, if there was no power to the shift computer the
trans will "default" into 3rd gear. Sounds like this car has some
electrical issues. Start at the battery. Clean all the big connections
and make sure the battery is good. You may have to trace out each
circuit and clean all the conections.

Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 14:41:56 -0500
From: "Ancira Internet Department" <awolf_at_dml_ancira.com>
Subject: Parts for sale, moving

I am moving at the end of the month, and I need to get some things out of
the garage. I put a few things on Ebay earlier:

Leather Seat Backs
Drivers Door
Front Speakers
Front Calipers

I also have miscellaneous parts lying around:

Torn apart engine
Clutch (don't know if it's any good)
Top of engine (air intake)
Wheel bearings (don't know if they are any good)
Some computer (can't tell which one, its ivory in color)
Valve covers

If anyone needs any of these parts, please let me know. I need them out of
the garage. First reasonable offer takes them.

Alex Wolf
Internet Manager
Ancira Dealerships
210-681-4900
210-231-4214 (Direct)

Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 20:26:20 -0000
From: "kaffinekrazed" <kaffine_at_dml_cox.net>

One argument you could use is that a sports car will have better
brakes and handle better so you will more likely be able to avoid an
wreck than with a car that doesn't handle or brake as well.

I would not recommend a 20 year old car as an only car if you need
reliable transportation I have an 80 Porsche 924 that I have owned
for over a year I have put mabey 600 miles on it since getting it
because it breaks down and alot and then requires alot of time to
get parts and time to fix it.

[duplicate quote snipped by moderator]

Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 15:29:54 -0500
From: "Ancira Internet Department" <awolf_at_dml_ancira.com>

I am also a young owner. I am 25, and have been married since January (6
months July 10). My wife got me my car as a birthday present. I have wanted
one as long as I can remember. I made a big boo boo, and didn't do enough
research before buying to know a real Delorean engine from a replacement
that is close, but not quite the same. I got so frustrated, I wanted to sell
my car. I tried, 3 times. I then cooled down, and realized that the best
things in life aren't free, and they aren't perfect either. I have since
been working on it, a little at a time. I feel a huge sense of
accomplishment knowing that I am turning around a car that someone didn't
take care of, and making it my own. I am by no means a rich man, but we are
comfortable. There are times where I cannot afford to buy a part, like right
now, and it sits. My alternator and battery went out last week, and I don't
have the money to replace them right now. I will though, in 2 weeks. So, I
am driving my F150 until I can afford to get the part replaced. Then
something else will go wrong, that's just part of the car.

If I had to go back, would I change anything? NO. I still would have bought
the car. I love my car, and I will not get rid of it for anything in the
world. Its my dream, and I am living it. Sometimes, it seems like a
nightmare, but for the most part it is a good one!

What's my advice? You can get a decent D for $12,000-14,000. Look closer to
the $12,000 mark, for one that has a strong engine and frame, that needs
cosmetic work. Most people buy what looks good. Get a strong running car,
and worry about looks later.

Take the other $3000 and buy a 1991-1995 Honda Civic, or Toyota Corolla as a
daily driver. You can get a ton of car for your money there. That way, if
something goes wrong, you have something to drive. LIVE THE DREAM!

Probably, people will disagree with me, but I don't care. Everyone told me
not to buy a "money pit", but you know what? I love my car.

Alex Wolf

Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 17:48:01 EDT
From: tonilfhs98_at_dml_aol.com

Have you check if you can get insurance at a reasonable price?  No sense
dreaming about and fighting with the parents on the Delorean unless you are sure
that insurance will be available to you at a reasonable price.

Just my 2 cents.

Bill # 2157

Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 17:55:13 EDT
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Gold Delorean in Snyder, Texas - NEW INFO

In a message dated 7/12/2004 12:47:53 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
dom_diaz_at_dml_hotmail.com writes:
Look for details on
both in an upcoming two-part article I am working on for DCS magazine (As
long as Ken okays the two-part format).
Its ok with me

So if you want to see the two gold cars it will be in the upcoming issue of
DCS

There will be a reminder in a month or so to renew or join.

Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 22:48:11 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Continued: Timing marks on crankshaft pulley

No, #1 fires, followed by #6, then the pause that is our odd fire
sequence.

I'll get pertinent pages from Volvo's factory literature scanned and
upload to #5939's photo album.

I don't make this stuff up...