From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2116
Date: Monday, July 12, 2004 10:53 PM

1. Re: Solutions to binnacle problems
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com

2. Re: Removing Exhaust Crossover Pipe
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

3. Wanted: Non-standard BTTF poster
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

4. Correction: Timing marks on crankshaft pulley
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

5. Continued: Third Party A/C Techs
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

6. Re: Removing Exhaust Crossover Pipe
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

7. I am ready to purchase a Delorean
From: Aaron Crocco <acrocco_at_dml_gmail.com>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 23:12:31 -0000
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com
Subject: Re: Solutions to binnacle problems

Darren - Sometimes, we need to get back to the basics.  Remove the
radio, and find the ground point along the metal structure just to
the right of the radio opening (usually).  There are a few wires
attached to a screw there.  Verify that this ground is clean and
secure.  There is another ground on the passengers side just behind
the vertical carpeted panel at the back of the parcel shelf.  It is a
stud attached through the fiberglas underbody, and is a major ground
point for many things in the engine compartment.  Check and clean
that ground as well.  The advice offered by others on this List is
also good advice.  Please let us know what you find out so that
everybody can benefit from your situation.  DPNW does have new tach's
and other dash instruments in stock if yours is bad.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "darrendiver" <darrendiver_at_dml_y...>
wrote:
> Has anyone ever had a Tach go out?  How does it behave when the
tach is bad?  I am getting power to the rear of the binnacle and I
have a tach, fuel gauge not working.  The fuel sender is new but
there is no power to the fuel sender from the gauge.  Also, my
transmission is putting out a signal that it is stuck in second
gear.  I had someone look at the modulator and there was nothing
obviously wrong with the circuit boards.  Can someone give me ideas
where else to look.

Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 23:09:25 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Removing Exhaust Crossover Pipe

I wasn't advising a dual exhaust conversion (though it is advisable
IMHO) -- simply removing the crossover pipe to access not only the
slave cylinder, but also:
- heater core takeoff barb
- ported vacuum switch
- other water distribution pipe sensors
- heater core shutoff valve
- ignition distributor (raise up the fuel/air mixture unit)
- etc etc etc
The crossover pipe *CAN* be put back in the factory configuration
afterwards...

Studs holding the crossover pipe to the exhaust manifolds are 10mm --
much less likely to break than 7mm's holding manifolds to the block
(are steel on steel too). Mine came off with nothing more than
penetrating oil and MAPP gas in a plumber's torch (not acetylene).
Replaced the carbon nuts with stainless steel to ensure ease of future
removal.

You really should experience a PRV without that silly crossover pipe
in the way. Removes half the objections usually raised by DeLo owners.
"Hidden" items are suddenly accessible -- without touching the intake
manifold! (Fuel/air mixture unit may need to raise up however).

Removing and installing the slave cylinder without the crossover pipe
in the way is one of the easiest procedures you'll ever perform on the
car. 100% guarantee it. I *DO* advise removing the heater core takeoff
line during the process.

Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 00:58:16 -0000
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Wanted: Non-standard BTTF poster

[Moderator Note:  PLEASE RESPOND OFF LIST BY PRIVATE EMAIL.  - moderator Mike Substelny]

And now for an extra-nerdy moment:

I saw this poster on ebay once, but parts took precedence over
paraphanelia. It's a promotional poster for BTTF2 I think, it's
nothing but the flaming tire tracks headed away from the point-of-
view. You can see it at Tamir's site here:

http://www.entermyworld.com/bttf/index.html

If anyone knows how I can obtain a full-size copy, I'd be very
grateful.

Rich A.

Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 01:24:48 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Correction: Timing marks on crankshaft pulley

Correction to my earlier reply to this post:

Pause is between Cylinders #1 and #6 (one of the advantages of
carburetion -- you can actually see the distributor cap!).

I think what's throwing you is engine rotates TWICE for each firing
cycle (720 degrees). Even fire would put the timing marks 120 degrees
apart. Odd fire pause moves the second mark another 30 degrees.

Firing order: 6-3 5-2 4-1.

You could put a timing light on a PRV (B27/B28) wire #6 for proof...

Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 01:37:24 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Continued: Third Party A/C Techs

If you remember my DeLo, A/C is the *LEAST* of its concerns...

I'm sure there are plenty of tight 23 year old A/C systems. There are
also 23 year old doors without dents, 23 year old headliners that
don't sag, 23 year old toll windows that work, 23 year old wheels
without chips... (You get the idea).

DeLo's run the gamut of condition. I'm hoping that DCS Chicago will
showcase such. Some are only at the beginning of that long road to
restoration. Others have made it to the end. Count me among the first
group.

Since freon is only $2.50 a can, for now I'm running the A/C as is and
focusing limited resources on my car's many other needs.

Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 02:36:00 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

Sometimes I think you complicate things just to complicate things. I
would not remove the heater hoses to get to the clutch slave - that
just pours antifreeze all over everything making an already annoying
job even slimier, not to mention adding about 3 more steps to the
process and dripping coolant in your face.  It's not really that
impossible, crossover pipe or not. This isn't a job you do on a
particular car more than once every eight or ten years.

BTW - I have no objection to your dual exhaust in spite of what you
read betwen my lines - it's just not a practical solution for people
who live in areas with emission testing or ever expect to sell the
car into such an area. I realize you don't do either of those, so
it's fine for you.

Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 22:11:32 -0400
From: Aaron Crocco <acrocco_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: I am ready to purchase a Delorean

Hey everyone,

  This is an e-mail I've been waiting for a long time to write.  After
a lot of hard work, I am finally ready to purchase a Delorean.  If
anyone has any leads on any cars that are available, I would greatly
appreciate you letting me know.

  I am keeping an eye on dmcnews.com, hemmings, cars.com and
autotrader.com.  I would prefer to purchase from within the community
though, as those cars usually have more traceable history to them.  I
am located on Long Island in New York if that helps for regional
people.

  I appreciate everyone's help and the adventure begins for me.  Thanks!

-Aaron Crocco

NY Plate- OUTATYM