From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2130
Date: Wednesday, July 21, 2004 2:37 AM

1. Re: Something Fishy on E-Bay
From: "Dan RC30" <danrc30_at_dml_hotmail.com>

2. Re: Tempremental starting Problem
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. Re: 1981 delorean for sale turbocharged southwest michigan
From: dmcjohn_at_dml_hotmail.com

4. Re: Re: Tempremental starting Problem
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. VIRUS ALERT
From: "Dani B" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

6. Side Stripes
From: "Robert Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

7. Re: Something Fishy on E-Bay
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. Re: Side Stripes
From: "Dani B" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

9. LED vs. STOCK - (Side Markers)
From: "Robert Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

10. Head bolts and coolant
From: "Jeff Phillips" <jeff.phillips_at_dml_keesler.af.mil>

11. Re: Tempremental starting Problem
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 18:20:02 -0400
From: "Dan RC30" <danrc30_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Something Fishy on E-Bay

Looks like the Island Twin Turbo kit with intercoolers fit on them. That vin
was not assigned to Legend Industries as far as I know, so it was most
likely not installed by Legend. Although unlikely. it is possible that it
was some sort of prototype that was later installed in the car. I think Marc
Levy could probably shed more light on this one. He's done a lot of research
on these motors and the history of  Legend Industries.

---Dan

Message: 18
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 04:06:11 -0000
From: dwest1981_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Something Fishy on E-Bay

Hi there Ladies and Gents,
I'm a future owner and a close follower of whatever happens to be on
E-Bay at the moment.  This is more for kicks than any serious intent
to purchase a vehicle that way, but this past week one car caught my
attention.
Apparently #1302 has come up for sale in Concord, NH.  The seller
maintains that it has a set of the original Legend twin turbochargers
factory installed, and has supplied pictures to support their
statement.  The fit and finish of the car is a little bit worn, but
nothing major.  I've also seen the pictures of #502, also
supposed to
have an original Legend twin turbocharger set aboard.  The engine
bays of these two cars look remarkably different, although if
anything the pictures from the E-Bay car look to be of a later,
perhaps reworked design.  The air filter cover has what appears to be
a molded `twin turbo' mark on it, but not the familiar DMC
label, or
the Legend logo.
Basically, I don't have a clue what I'm looking at here.  I
guess
that there's every possibility that this is a twisted hoax
attempt to
lure in unsuspecting bidders.  The most mysterious part about all of
this is that nobody seems willing to place a bid on this auction,
which ends on the 20th of July.  The starting bid from the seller is
15,000 USD and seems very fair for a vehicle with the given
credentials. not to mention that #1302 itself is a pretty
important
number in the 1981 production year.
Any input you might have would be quite appreciated.  I'm just
baffled by all of this.

Here is the address to the auction for further inspection.

ViewItem&rd=1&item=2484600527&category=31830&sspagename=WDVW

Thanks very much for your time,
Dan West
Dwest1981_at_dml_aol.com

Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 17:27:33 -0700 (PDT)
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Tempremental starting Problem

Sounds fuel accumulator related to me.  It may be a
little bit too lean, but if this problem just started
after the car ran fine up to now, it probably is the
fuel accumulator.  There are also some o-rings in the
primary pressure regulator (which is part of the main
fuel distributor).  Those are the two most common hot
start issues.

Jeremiah

Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 21:52:15 -0000
From: dmcjohn_at_dml_hotmail.com
Subject: Re: 1981 delorean for sale turbocharged southwest michigan

Hi there,
How are you running DMC Houston's free flow exhaust, combined with a
Turbo? How would these 2 work together? DMC Houston's exhaust uses
headers instead of cast manifolds...

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "my real name" <joe4359102_at_dml_y...>

Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 17:31:42 -0700 (PDT)
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Tempremental starting Problem

Does this happen all the time or just hot?  IF it
happens all the time, your thermotime switch may be
defective.

Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 00:51:48 -0000
From: "Dani B" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: VIRUS ALERT

*****  Moderator's Note  *****
Be wary of any unexpected attachments from anyone, even
if you know them.  Attachments are always stripped from any
incomming messages to the list, so the emails and
digests from the list *should* be safe.  If you ever get
a message from dmcnews that has an attachment, delete it
immediately.

*****  Mike G  Moderator of the Week

Beware of anyone emailing from DMCVIN6683_at_dml_WI.RR.COM subject INCOMING
MESSAGE, they are trying
to get you to download a virus attached in the emial. If you have
anti-spam it will most likely get trapped there like it did me, but
just be warned! -Dani B. 5003

Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 01:38:29 -0000
From: "Robert Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Side Stripes

For those of you who are interested in the wide, black side stripes I
have some questions for you.

First, let me explain to any newbies what I am talking about.
A dealer option for the DeLorean was a set of 3M adheasive stickers
that run the length of the fenders, doors and quarter panels that are
about 3" to 5" wide or so.
They fit right along the underside of the center mounted rubber trim.
Some people love them, some hate them.
I love them.

They are not available anywhere.
If you find a set, chances are they are not any good because they
are over 20 years old and may not stick.

Why has no one re-manufactured them?
The material used to make these is not available anywhere.
They were textured to look like rough leather, or like a vinyl roof
top. Many of the purist feel that if they can not get an exact copy
just like the original then they don't want it.
Most people who have never looked at these stripes up close do not
know that they are textured.

I think that there are those out there that would go for a set of
reproductions made of a nice durable matte black 3M vinyl if they were
 at the right price.

With that said, is there anyone out there who would be willing to
buy a set of these for $149.00 per set?

I managed to come up with a set of these and used the exact
measurements to use as the template for my reproductions.
>From any short distance they would look just like the originals.
Only a DeLorean expert would know the difference.

If I can generate enough interest I will make some of these up
and have them for sale.
If no one cares, then I will skip it.
Let me know what you think.
- Videobob
http://www.dfwdmc.com

Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 17:57:33 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

When we talked about this car a few days back on the
forum, this was also pointed out... so I asked him in
Email, and he did tell me it WAS a Legend turbo..

I did respond asking for some more information on it,
with conformation that it WAS a Legend engine...  he
did not respond.

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 02:15:51 -0000
From: "Dani B" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Re: Side Stripes

I thought DMCH was selling these, I remember seeing them in their "New
Products" section, perhapts it was NOS, or maybe I just don't know
what I'm talking about. Anynway, I like the side stripe idea, but a
different design and maybe a different color is what I'm waiting for.
If something comes out that looks good enough on the car, I'd pay that
price for the stripes. -Dani B. 5003

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Robert Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_h...>

Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 02:34:38 -0000
From: "Robert Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: LED vs. STOCK - (Side Markers)

Everyone has been begging me to sell them LED bulb replacements for
the side marker lights.
I have been reluctant because I have not been able to find something
that looks as good as the stock bulb.
The side markers are one when ever your running lights are on.
There is no real reason to put an LED bulb here because you would not
normally have these lights on at a car show so there is no real benefit.

To proove my point, I would like to show you some comparison photos
of my testing with the LED vs. STOCK.

Go to the PHOTOS page of DMCNEWS and look for the LED COMPARISON folder
and you can see what I mean.
The LED has a bright dot in the middle where as the old stock bulb
has a nice spread light.

Now, I can offer to sell you all a set of (4) side marker bulbs
with 2 red and 2 amber for only $19.95 if you want them bad enough,
and they look cool but I just don't see the point.

If you are interested in these please contact me and let me know.
If there is enough interest despite my comparisons, I will offer
them on the site.

Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 03:36:56 -0000
From: "Jeff Phillips" <jeff.phillips_at_dml_keesler.af.mil>
Subject: Head bolts and coolant

Here is a question that I hate to ask because I'm afraid of the
answer.  After installing new head gaskets, warming the engine, and
proceeding to the retightening procedure I observed the following.
When I loosened the head bolts on the drivers side (specifically the
center 4) coolant seeped up the bolt passage and onto the top of the
head.  Obviously my question is, "Is this normal for a DeLorean?"
If the head bolts are open to a passage or are the DeLorean head
bolt supposed to be blind holes?  All replies/suggestions are
welcome!

Jeff

Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 03:04:51 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

If you are holding "Rest Pressure" then the problem is not the
accumulater. I would suspect vacuum leaks and things way out of
adjustment. I would also suggest dirty electrical connections by the
ballast resistor and possibly a pick-up coil going bad in the
distributer.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Ed Garbade" <edgarbade_at_dml_h...> wrote:
> Alistair,
> I tried sending this to you directly but it was rejected for some
reason.

> I have a similar problem.  When the engine and the air temperatures
are hot,
> I get the typical hot start symptoms.  I know my accumulator works
because I
> had it at a major vendor's shop and personally saw the fuel system
keep
> pressure for
> over 4 hours.  This means (as I understand it) the accumulator
works.

> It doesn't even have to be 5 minutes for me.  If I stall the car
(I'm use to
> automatics but my D is a manual) the symptoms typically appear
immediately
> on hot days.  On cool days it may or may not surface.
>
> I have found if I hold the gas peddle to the floor under these
conditions my
> car will start up fine.  Specifically, I attempt to start it
normally.  If
> it
> doesn't start like usual (5 seconds or so) or I get a flooded gas
smell, I
> turn the ignition off, hold the gas peddle to the floor, turn the
key and it
> usually starts right up (guess it goes without saying to release
the peddle
> when it starts).  I may have to crank it a few extra seconds.  I
don't pump
> the accelerator.  Try this and see if it works for you.
>
> I also recommend you clean the contacts and connectors on the
ballast
> resistor in the engine compartment.  Not sure that will make a
difference
> but it did once for me.
>
> I've talked to several major players over the past 2 years with
> respect to this and all are scratching their heads.  Replaced fuel
> accumulator and fuel distributor with no luck.
>
> So holding the gas peddle to the floor works for me.  That's my
story and
> I'm sticking to it.
>
> BTW, I feel this is some type of vapor lock.  Not sure if it is but
my dad's
> old 69 Ford van had similar symptoms (won't start and gas smell)
and the