From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2131
Date: Wednesday, July 21, 2004 10:14 PM

1. Re: Red/blue wire near instrument cluster?
From: <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

2. Re: VIRUS ALERT
From: "Jake Kamphoefner" <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

3. Re: Head bolts and coolant
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>

4. Ebay "Legend" Turbo
From: Tom Watkins <dmctom_at_dml_earthlink.net>

5. Re: Tempremental starting Problem
From: "alistairmccann" <alistairmccann_at_dml_yahoo.com>

6. Re: Coolant color purple - what is it?
From: "kaffinekrazed" <kaffine_at_dml_cox.net>

7. SW Florida Show for charity
From: Andrei Cular <acular_at_dml_tampabay.rr.com>

8. Side Marker LED's
From: Tom Watkins <dmctom_at_dml_earthlink.net>

9. Re: Rebuilding a Blown Motor. (continued)
From: klaus.steiner_at_dml_t-online.de

10. RE: Re: Side Stripes
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

11. Viruses and the DML
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

12. RE: SW Florida Show for charity
From: "Cecil Longwisch" <dmc1982_at_dml_msn.com>

13. 1979 DeLorean
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

14. VIN 1302 (was: Something Fishy on E-Bay)
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

15. Reminder, British car show in Carthage, MO
From: "wayofcain" <wayofcain_at_dml_yahoo.com>

16. Re: SW Florida Show for charity
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

17. Re-something fishy on ebay
From: "B BENSON" <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

18. RE: 1979 DeLorean
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

19. Re: Digest Number 2130
From: Marty Lick <mlick27_at_dml_yahoo.com>

20. Re: 1979 DeLorean
From: Thomas Mc Auley <mcauleydmc_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

21. Warranty Card Information
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

22. door adjustment
From: nicholden_at_dml_yahoo.com

23. TV Show
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

24. New DeLorean club: Mid-South DMC
From: Travis Graham <tgraham_at_dml_noroads.com>

25. Re: 1979 DeLorean
From: "jmlaux83" <jmlaux83_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 20:44:26 -0500
From: <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Red/blue wire near instrument cluster?

The red/blue wire is attached to a inline diode. Looks like a black cylinder about 1/2" dia and 1-1/2" long. You should have a red/blue wire going in and one coming out to the main connector.

Dave Sontos
vin 02573

Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 00:01:28 -0500
From: "Jake Kamphoefner" <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: VIRUS ALERT

I don't want to perpetuate the virus thread, but I thought this should be
noted:

The email address you listed is for Mark Valuch.  Lately I've been getting
viruses from Wayne Ernst's address.  The point is, the virus is likely being
ghosted from another address, using an address book or old DML messages, and
making it appear the virus is being sent from these people.  --So don't get
mad at anyone on the DML!  :-)

Update you virus software, don't open email attachments, and you'll be fine.

Jake

Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 11:49:59 +0200 (MEST)
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>
Subject: Re: Head bolts and coolant

Jeff,
I replaced my head gasket recently, too. There was no coolant
coming out anywhere.

You are not supposed to reopen all bolts at once !!!!!
Only one at a time.

Elvis

Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 07:26:54 -0400
From: Tom Watkins <dmctom_at_dml_earthlink.net>
Subject: Ebay "Legend" Turbo

List,

Just got this note from the seller:

I may be mistaken after all.  Apparently my info was not that conclusive. I apologize.  Anyway it was an approved turbo uppfitter of sorts for Delorean, The first 15 K will buy it.

Thanks,

Mark

Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 07:26:38 -0000
From: "alistairmccann" <alistairmccann_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Tempremental starting Problem

Hi Folks

Cheers for all the ideas so far.

A good friend of mine and delorean mechanic said that the fuel
system was a wee bit too rich and that was probably the cause of the
car not wanting to start after a long journey.  He is going to test
it for me in the next few days and set it up correctly.

We tested the ignition without pumping the pedal and the car would
not start, but once we pumped the pedal she roared into life.... I
still have work to do, but for one of the first cars ever built the
fact that she is still driving at all is still a achievment.

Alistair McCann
Vin: PILOT25

Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 05:12:35 -0000
From: "kaffinekrazed" <kaffine_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Re: Coolant color purple - what is it?

The coolant used by Detroit Diesel is purple in color.

> I started on the restoration of the car I bought a couple of weeks
> ago in SC = #2466. This car has been driven 4000 miles since 1985.
It
> was last started in 1999 or so. The fuel was definitely on its way
> becoming paint thinner. Today's project was flushing the tar out
of
> the gas tank, and draining the cooling system. The cooling system
is
> what amazed me.
>
> The coolant came out a grayish purple. I have not seen that color
in
> coolant before. What really amazed me was how clean and nice the
> pipes were inside, the best I've ever seen on a long-term-stored,
and
> even many driven, cars.
>
> Does anyone have any idea what this stuff is? It is not the blue
BMW

Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 08:12:09 -0400
From: Andrei Cular <acular_at_dml_tampabay.rr.com>
Subject: SW Florida Show for charity

I just received this email and want to see if any Florida owners would
be interested in participating. This event will be sometime after the
first of the year and will be organized like the show in Celebration a
few months back.

If you email me I will send Kim a potential count.

----------------------------------
 My name is Kim Pemberton and I am the president of the Naples Ferrari
Club. I was given your name by one of our members who is also a member
of the Porsche club, Doug Didrick. The reason I'm contacting you,
regards a charity event that we started last year to establish an art
program for children with cancer. In our discussions about what kind of
an event to have this year, the idea of a car show keeps coming up and I
thought I would get in touch with other car clubs in the area to see if
there would be any interest in being involved. In order for it to be
worthwhile we would need to attract at least 100 cars and I think a
diverse showing of various marques would guarantee success at the event.
Please let me know your thoughts or ideas.

Kim Pemberton
Branch Mgr.
Putnam Leasing

Andrei Cular
Mechanical Engineer
Marine Concepts inc.
www.marineconcepts.com
P:239.283.0800 F:239.283.3332

Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 07:51:58 -0400
From: Tom Watkins <dmctom_at_dml_earthlink.net>
Subject: Side Marker LED's

F.Y.I. DeLorean Motor Center has side marker LED available now. I bought
a set and are very happy with them.   They also have the door marker
LED's as others have pointed out.   Bob sells the door lights as well
but a different design.

Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 11:16:05 +0200 (CEST)
From: klaus.steiner_at_dml_t-online.de
Subject: Re: Rebuilding a Blown Motor. (continued)

A member of our German DeLorean Club made a
Renault-engine-identification list.
I have translated it and stored it in the yahoo-group file section as
'renaultengines.doc'.

All the engine-codes are explained.

Klaus & 05980 -Germany-
now with LED door- and compartmentlights

Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 07:26:32 -0500
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Side Stripes

Don't confuse these with the thin grey stripe that goes along the upper side
of the fender
accross the car, that is the stripe THEY sell.
No one sells the large, wide black one.
I can cut it in ANY color you choose, even reflective if you wanted, or
foils like chrome or gold.
Once I have the design programmed into the vinyl cutter, I can put any sort
of material in there.
I just assumed that people would want the flat black like the originals.
(actually, the originals were glossy looking, but only when they were new,
they quickly faded).

Let me know what color you would want.
- VB

>From: "Dani B" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
>To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
>Subject: [DML] Re: Side Stripes
>Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 02:15:51 -0000
>
>I thought DMCH was selling these, I remember seeing them in their "New
>Products" section, perhapts it was NOS, or maybe I just don't know
>what I'm talking about. Anynway, I like the side stripe idea, but a
>different design and maybe a different color is what I'm waiting for.
>If something comes out that looks good enough on the car, I'd pay that
>price for the stripes. -Dani B. 5003

[moderator snip]

Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 13:37:45 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net
Subject: Viruses and the DML

All

I have been informed by the owner of the email address
DMCVIN6683 the the virus recently received under his
address most certainly did not come from his personal
computer.  He's a MAC user.  It most likely came from
a Windows Outlook user who has the address in their
address book or in a saved note somewhere, along with
the addresses of the recipients.

Most viruses these days propagate themselves by looking
for email address lists.  They then grab the list, take
an address from it, use that in the From: field and then
send themselves out to everyone else in the address list.
The name you see in the From: field is most likely NOT the
real source of the virus.

The DML is a sizeable community - nearly 1600 subscribers.
Yahoo Groups screens viruses and attachments from any
incoming posts before moderators even see them, so
mail from the list *should* be safe.  However if you
ever get a note from the list with an attachment delete
it immediately - don't even open it.

Other ways you can protect yourself from viruses include:

Keep your Windows PC at the latest service pack levels.
You can have your PC checked by Microsoft by clicking on
the Tools =-> Windows Update menu item in Internet
Explorer and following the instructions.  You can also configure
certain versions of Windows to check automatically for service
updates whenever you are attached to the web.  It's free to
all valid Windows license holders.

Get a virus scanner.  There are lots to choose from, including
McAfee and Symantec.  Keep your virus definition file up to
date - subscribe for updates if you can.  The better scanners
will check incoming email in addition to saved files.

Get a firewall - same sources.

Don't use Outlook or Outlook Express.  If you must use Outlook,
find out if your ISP provides access to your email from a browser.
If so, use that to pre-screen your mail before downloading it with
Outlook.

Be wary of email subject lines that are vague or in all caps.
Use accurate subject lines when sending email.

Manage your address lists.  Keep them as short as possible to
avoid proliferating a virus should you get one.

Don't open any unexpected attachments of any kind.  Just because
the file says .jpg doesn't mean it's a picture.  If you have
any doubt, send a note back to the sender and ask if they
meant to send you anything.  It takes a little longer, but it's
much easier than cleaning up after a virus.

--
Mike Griese - Moderator of the Week

Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 09:09:11 -0400
From: "Cecil Longwisch" <dmc1982_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: RE: SW Florida Show for charity

I am interested however SW Florida covers two time zones as the last
presidential election will attest to. Any idea of a location?

Cecil Longwisch
#10663
JAX, FL

Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 09:48:49 EDT
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: 1979 DeLorean

Today I recieved a call from a Delorean owner of two cars
He gave me a list of parts he wanted and I went to verify the vin numbers and
figure out what year they were.
It was a low vin number and I said "so you have two 81's"
He said no
I bought these new in 79 and have been the owner since then.

I told him that they are 81-83 but he insisted he got one of the early ones
and he got it in 79

Oh well

I guess we now have to rewrite the books to say 81 to 83 except two that were
79 LOL

Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 09:20:06 -0500
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: VIN 1302 (was: Something Fishy on E-Bay)

The warranty card for VIN 1302 indicates that it was sold to a retail buyer
(California Mustange Sales in Pomona, California) on June 30, 1981 from
Ronad Moran Cadillac in Torrance, California. Should be a black manual with
engine number 001671.

James Espey

(snip)
Apparently #1302 has come up for sale in Concord, NH.  The seller
maintains that it has a set of the original Legend twin turbochargers
factory installed, and has supplied pictures to support their
statement.
---

Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 15:53:11 -0000
From: "wayofcain" <wayofcain_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Reminder, British car show in Carthage, MO

This is just a reminder that there is a British car show a couple of
us will be showing in in Carthage, MO this Saturday. It's will be
followed by a driving tour.

Carthage is very close to the OK and ARK borders. Any other owners
who may be interested please contact me off list at wayofcain(at)
aol.com.

It should be a pretty good time.

Cain Grimes

Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 16:27:16 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

Since its the Naples Ferrari club I's suspect that it's in or near
Naples (between Tampa and Fort Myers).

Dave S

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Cecil Longwisch" <dmc1982_at_dml_m...>

Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 12:37:03 -0500
From: "B BENSON" <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>
Subject: Re-something fishy on ebay

I've been out of town and just now catching up on emails. The car with the
twin turbos in the ebay ad is not a ledgend car. I saw this car and spoke
with the original owner at a DOA event in the mid -eighties. At that time it was a Calif car.I have other pictures of the car and at that time it had over 75,000 miles on it. In addition to the intercoolers it had electric fuel injectors from a Volkswagon installed in the runners from the intercoolers to the engine that were fired with a pressure switch when under boost. The ebay ad listed the car's miles as 31,000 but as I said the car looked rather well worn in the mid-eighties with 70,000 plus  miles on the clock. It was well thought out installation at the time but the ad certainly appeared to be a
misrepresentation of the facts.

Bruce Benson

Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 11:50:27 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: 1979 DeLorean

Maybe it was the same guy that called me.

Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 11:59:36 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marty Lick <mlick27_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Digest Number 2130

*****  Moderator's Note  *****
This is the last post for this thread.

*****  Mike G  Moderator of the Week

Dani B. Wrote:
Beware of anyone emailing from DMCVIN6683_at_dml_WI.RR.COM
subject INCOMING MESSAGE, they are trying to get you
to download a virus attached in the emial. If you have
anti-spam it will most likely get trapped there like
it did me, but just be warned! -Dani B. 5003

---

Dani,

I know Mark, and highly doubt he's sending out
viruses.  This looks like a variant of the Beagle
virus  (
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.beagle.y_at_dml_mm.html
).  I get a lot of these on another account.  If you
turn on 'Full Headers' in your email program, and you
examine each "Received: from" line you will most
likely see that it did not start from or pass through
wi.rr.com.  This virus (and many others that spread
through email) spoofs the "From" line in the headers.
Who ever the virus came from is infected, and it just
grabbed two addresses from one of their folders.  It
could've been 'sent' or it could've been 'trash'.
Mark is, I hope, an innocent bystander in this.

As noted, yes, be very careful with mail and
attachments even from people you think you trust.  It
may not really be them.

-- Marty

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 14:18:47 -0500
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: Warranty Card Information

DMC (Texas) acquired a coupe thousand warranty cards from the KAPAC parts
purchase in 1997. Since then, the pertinent data (VIN, interior color,
transmission type) for all these cars has been entered into the "DeLorean
Production Chronolgy" (DPC) that is maintained by Knut Grimsrud.  The
chronology, in PDF format, can be found here:

http://www.dmcnews.com/faq/img/news/n_vinlst.pdf

If, in the remarks column, it says "Warranty Card", the card is on file at
DMC (Texas). Generally speaking, there are no cards for cars sold after
December of 1981 (VIN 5000). Why this is the case is open to speculation. I
was told at one time by Leif Montin that after that, the original DMC layed
off the data entry department. There are also many cards missing in between
0635 (earliest card on file) and 5000. I was told that when KAPAC owned the
parts (and cards) they would allow owners to find their own card and keep it
when they visited the warehouse.

In any case, if you car shows up on the DPC with "warranty card" in the
remarks, contact me at james (at) delorean.com and I will forward you the
other info that is on the card. We will not sell or mail out the original
cards, but I as time permits I will fax copies to people for their own cars.

James Espey

------------------------------------
DeLorean Motor Company
Vice President
james_at_dml_delorean.com
15023 Eddie Drive
Humble, Texas 77396 USA
tel: 800/872-3621
tel2:281/441-2537
fax: 281/441-2813

Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 21:40:44 -0000
From: nicholden_at_dml_yahoo.com
Subject: door adjustment

Hi, I have just replaced my door struts as the old ones never lifted
the door above half way, now the doors fly up and if your not
holding the door crash back and place loads of strain on the strut
mounts. I presume i require a torsion bar adjustment? Just after
peoples thoughts on this. Thankyou also to everybody who responded
to my problem of the lower control arms hitting the frame. I have
decided to have this straightened and slightly ground back before i
have the frame powdercoated then new shocks all round.
cheers Nick- 10927 sydney

Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 15:10:49 -0500
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: TV Show

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0409792/

Anyone hear of this show?

Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 17:38:20 -0500
From: Travis Graham <tgraham_at_dml_noroads.com>
Subject: New DeLorean club: Mid-South DMC

Hello,

After the DeLorean Car Show in Pigeon Forge, a group of owners got
together and decided to start a new club to serve the region located
between the Mid-Atlantic, Ohio, SEDOC, and the Mid-State DeLorean
clubs: a niche area formerly served only by smaller groups such as the
ETDOC and other non-organized gatherings of owners.  We've called the
new club the Mid-South DeLorean Motor Club (MSDMC).  Our new club
website is:

http://www.msdmc.com

The "home area" for this club includes North and South Carolina,
Tennessee, Virginia and Kentucky, although anyone is always welcome to
join and participate, regardless of geographical location.  Membership
in MSDMC is certainly not exclusive from membership in other clubs and
the MSDMC has absolutely no fees or dues - it's completely supported
and organized by volunteers.

If you live in the area, we encourage you to join MSDMC!  Our intention
is to make the MSDMC a very laid-back, informal, and fun organization
that will offer various events throughout the year.

We currently have three events in the making, the first being the
previously-planned ETDOC gathering in Robinsville, NC.  This event will
serve as a farewell to the ETDOC and a start for MSDMC. Shortly
following, we plan to attend a British car show in Franklin, TN and
after that, we're planning an event at the Euro Auto Festival in
Greenville, SC at the BMW plant. Stay tuned to our website for more
details as they develop.

Feel free to learn more about the new club and those interested can
join through our website. Also, look for an article about the MSDMC in
an upcoming issue of the DCS magazine.

We look forward to increasing the DeLorean community's presence here in
the Southeast and we hope to see some of you at an upcoming event!

Best wishes,

John Weaver, Aaron Posey, Sean Howley, and Travis Graham
MSDMC organizers
http://www.msdmc.com

Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 01:57:14 -0000
From: "jmlaux83" <jmlaux83_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I have a 1980. Well, at least one of the wheels is an '80. One of the
back wheels has the stamped date of M '80 which would make it created
it the 13th month of 1980. Now I have no idea what is up with that. I
should really take a picture of it. (BTW the wheels are not original.
They were put on by the PO)

Jason
2256