From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2133
Date: Thursday, July 22, 2004 5:16 PM

From: "Hank" <henry_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>

From: "Dani B" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com

From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

From: "Ed Garbade" <edgarbade_at_dml_hotmail.com>

From: "sweitzel_2000" <sweitzel_at_dml_lffltd.com>

From: "Ed Garbade" <edgarbade_at_dml_hotmail.com>

From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

From: "delorean6584" <carburateur100gaz_at_dml_msn.com>

From: "James" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

From: alistair mccann <alistairmccann_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: whocruiser_at_dml_aol.com

From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "Michael C. Babb" <mcb_at_dml_babbtechnology.com>

From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

From: "Michael C. Babb" <mcb_at_dml_babbtechnology.com>

From: Andrei Cular <acular_at_dml_tampabay.rr.com>

From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

From: "Dani B" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

From: "Mark" <mark_at_dml_meninblack.ca>

From: Mike Substelny <msubstel_at_dml_lorainccc.edu>

From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

25. RE: Re: Side Stripes
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 23:16:33 -0400
From: "Hank" <henry_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: TV Show

Here's what google found:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/documentaries/features/delorean.shtml

And for fun, try taking the "Quiz" (top right), but don't read the questions, only read the answers and see how well you do.

-Hank

Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 03:14:42 -0000
From: "Dani B" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Re: Warranty Card Information

I'm just wondering why my VIN's Note says "For sale on Ebay". Also I
was under the impression there were 2 gold plated DeLoreans made, I
must be wrong? Thanks-Dani B. #5003

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "James Espey" <james_at_dml_u...> wrote:
> DMC (Texas) acquired a coupe thousand warranty cards from the KAPAC
parts
> purchase in 1997. Since then, the pertinent data (VIN, interior color,
> transmission type) for all these cars has been entered into the
"DeLorean
> Production Chronolgy" (DPC) that is maintained by Knut Grimsrud.  The
> chronology, in PDF format, can be found here:
>
> http://www.dmcnews.com/faq/img/news/n_vinlst.pdf
>
> If, in the remarks column, it says "Warranty Card", the card is on
file at
> DMC (Texas). Generally speaking, there are no cards for cars sold after
> December of 1981 (VIN 5000). Why this is the case is open to
speculation. I
> was told at one time by Leif Montin that after that, the original
DMC layed

Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 04:11:16 -0000
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com
Subject: Re: door adjustment

Nick - You definitely need to have the torsion bars throttled back a
few notches.  This condition will damage the rrof structure, the T
top, and the strut mounts.  Ideally, the doors will rise up
gracefully, and stop just as they reach the top of the arc.  That's
what Winged1's doors do, anyhow.  If they fling up like that, it
means that the struts have been going bad for a long time, and
somebody has compensated for that by tightening the bars
progressively.  Glad things are going to work out on the frame to
lower control arm interference.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com

Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 23:57:50 EDT
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Hood won't pop up

My hood used to pop up a fraction when I pulled the hood release. Lately I
have to grab the edge of the hood & lift when I pull the release cable. The
cable recently broke, and with my new one installed, it's just the same. BTW, the
loop on the hood that goes into the hood latch is a bit worn, as if it has to
hammer its way into place.  Any ideas?

Wayne
11174
Bridgeton, NJ

Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 01:47:01 -0400
From: "Ed Garbade" <edgarbade_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: 1979 DeLorean

That would be cool since (if memory serves) they were made in 74 and 75.
:-)
Ed

Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 05:27:01 -0000
From: "sweitzel_2000" <sweitzel_at_dml_lffltd.com>
Subject: mode switch vacuum disappeared

Within one day, overnight, it seems like all vacuum to my mode switch
has vanished. Everything is correct at the switch, and all the hoses
are still attached going from the front on back under the center
console. Symptoms - no more 'hiss' (yes, i haven't rebuilt my
diphragm yet) also, very easy to turn the switch, and obviously
barely any airflow from the vents. Where in the back of the car does
the hard plastic vacuum tube go next? is there any particular
fittings that are known to come apart?

-sean #3231

Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 01:43:33 -0400
From: "Ed Garbade" <edgarbade_at_dml_hotmail.com>

This is certianally not my area of expertiese; however, if you are really
opening the door with this much force I would recommend you put the old
struts back on until you can get someone expereinced in adjusting the
torsion bar to help.  As I understand it, you can do a great deal of damage
as they are currently adjusted.

Ed

Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 04:08:10 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

>From your description you probably need to loosen 2 splines. The way I
adjust the doors is with a new strut it should hold the door all the
way open when you let it go. You may have to push it a little bit to
the fully open position but it should stay there when you let go. Best
done around 70 degrees F so when it gets hotter they don't slam up
when they open on a hot day. For the people with launchers they like
them a little tighter so they will open all the way by themselves. Do
not get tempted to adjust the torsion bars as the struts age. This is
what happened to your car and why the doors now bounce when open. It
is very bad to do that because of the loads on the roof structure.
When the struts get too weak to hold the doors up replace the struts.
Depending on the vender they can last for 3-4 years. The ones for the
bonnet and the sunshade seem to last a lot longer. Since you are in
Australia you are probably going to have to build your own support and
get the necesary tools to do this yourself. You will also need an
assistant and the article on how to do it. If you need more advice I
can e-mail you more technical info on exactly how this is done.

Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 06:07:05 -0000
From: "delorean6584" <carburateur100gaz_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: engine wont runs

my delorean refuse to start today...so i checked some points...the
fuel is comming but there is no fire at all, i tried another bosch
coil didnt work either, i put a spark plug wire and a spark plug
directly on the coil and checked the fire, it does a spark when i
put the key to on position and another one when i put it to the off
position, but when cranking the engine it doesnt sparks... my best
bet would be the resistor or ecu any hints of what to check and how

thanks
yan
vin 6584 * Milla *

Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 04:21:34 -0000
From: "James" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

Aired in the UK earlier this year. The DeLorean Club UK mailing list had some
comments on the show, mostly negative IIRC.  They sent me a NTSC VHS
copy, and I think it was mostly accurate, though di not paint JZD in a very
good light.

James Espey
http://www.delorean.com

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_w...>

Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 00:28:06 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Side stripes (new question)

Rich & Group, I'm having the large side stripes made as we speak. The
prototype will be done next week and when in the computer I will be able to
do any colors. The first ones will be black in gloss and in satin or semi
gloss. Then we will be working on getting the original or close to the
original grain. I also have 2 sets of the original smaller stripes that go
under the window and run the length of the car.

Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 03:00:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: alistair mccann <alistairmccann_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Yep, I have seen it.

It was a documentary shown on british tv about 4 months ago and probably one of the best documentarys so far on the delorean.

Someone will have a copy I am sure.

Alistair McCann.

Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 08:40:00 EDT
From: whocruiser_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: SW Florida Car Show

In a message dated 7/21/2004 11:13:22 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com writes:

> Message: 7
>    Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 08:12:09 -0400
>    From: Andrei Cular <acular_at_dml_tampabay.rr.com>
> Subject: SW Florida Show for charity
>
> I just received this email and want to see if any Florida owners would
> be interested in participating. This event will be sometime after the
> first of the year and will be organized like the show in Celebration a
> few months back.
>
> If you email me I will send Kim a potential count.

Depending on when the date of the show ends up being, I'll try to make it
over from Ft. Lauderdale, work schedule permitting.  Please keep me informed as
things develop further.

            *****WhoCruiser_at_dml_aol.com is Dan Harris*****
WhoCruiser's Personal Home Page: http://members.aol.com/WhoCruiser
Read about The Sci-Fi Sea Cruise at: http://www.scificruise.com
Purr-use The Cat House at: http://members.aol.com/LookAtMyCatsPage

Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 11:03:44 -0000
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Now I would be terrified to park my D in a public place like that
for months on end while in active duty. And wonder what would happen
to it if the he should be killed. Will it set there for years?

The sidestripe sounds like an aftermarket stripe he just had added,
perhaps it was a caddy stripe and he removed the crest because it
obviously isn't a cadillac. He probably just liked the stripe and
put it on?

Try checking any local GM garage and seeing if they have the sticker
in their computer, then you'll reslly know what it is.

Joe O'Brien

2524 & 16634

Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 10:54:17 -0000
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Most obviously the man does not have a 79 Delorean from the DOT.
They didn't even have regular vins on the pilot cars which were well
after 79. They were very close to production. Unless this guy is
cruising around in a prototype, he'll really have fun obtaining
parts then. :)

Joe O'Brien

2524 & 16634

Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 08:12:40 -0400
From: "Michael C. Babb" <mcb_at_dml_babbtechnology.com>

I had not, but here is some info about it on the BBC website at:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/documentaries/features/delorean.shtml

Michael

Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 06:35:19 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Re: Opinions on DMCH's exhaust

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Andrew <aos+yahoo_at_dml_b...> wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Jul 2004, spaceace3113 wrote:
<SNIP>
> I know
> mufflers can be way quieter without sacrificing flow (the muffler
on my
> other car flows a lot more air and is much much quieter), so I'd
love to
> see DMCH offer a quieter muffler option.
>
> I have looked, casually, for a quieter muffer to replace it, and
may do so
> someday.
>
> Don't interpret this as a bad review.  It's a great exhaust which
is
> really well put together.  If you don't mind driving a car that
will
> attract quite a bit of attention (okay, quite a bit *more*
attention), you
> won't be disappointed.
>
> -andrew

Does anyone have decent audio clips of what this exhaust sounds like?
I've only heard the
video _at_dml_ Tamir's site. And it that clip, the person keeps reving the
motor, and killing the
audio gain. And clips of what it sounds like at idle?

Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 09:09:06 -0400
From: "Michael C. Babb" <mcb_at_dml_babbtechnology.com>

>From the BBC Website:
"Although the cars looked great, the windows leaked and the engines
seized"

I don't recall engine problems - at least not to those extremes. One of
the things that I love about the car is the reliability of the PRV.

Am I misinformed on early engine problems? I know JZD was looking at
possible alternate engine vendors, but not for quality issues.

Michael

Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 09:30:59 -0400
From: Andrei Cular <acular_at_dml_tampabay.rr.com>
Subject: Re: SW Florida Show for charity

Close Dave, but Fort Myers is located between Tampa and Naples.

Right now they are just trying to get an idea if enough people are
interested.  Several possible locations they are looking at are in the
Fort Myers / Naples area.  All I know on the date is it will be some
time after the first of the year.

Andrei
*
From:*  "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_d...

*Date:*  Wed Jul 21, 2004  12:27 pm
*Subject:*  Re: [DML] SW Florida Show for charity

Since its the Naples Ferrari club I's suspect that it's in or near
Naples (between Tampa and Fort Myers).

Dave S

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
<http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews/post?postID=O6KTQvMP2RuUh8cFywxJAHSqZu3FxsPjvtb8x3Qc2SrTAVt5UoUOEVM2ToDziOXq8C29cMubu-zn4Ji4g4DU5N8v>,
"Cecil Longwisch" <dmc1982_at_dml_m...>
wrote:
 > I am interested however SW Florida covers two time zones as the
last
 > presidential election will attest to. Any idea of a location?
 >

 > Cecil Longwisch
 > #10663
 > JAX, FL
 >

 > >If you email me I will send Kim a potential count.
 > >
 > >----------------------------------
 > > My name is Kim Pemberton and I am the president of the Naples
Ferrari

Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 09:45:07 EDT
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

The cars have vin numbers and vin plates for 81 but he believes they are 79
I have seen the cars

Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 15:04:00 -0000
From: "Dani B" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Re: Hood won't pop up

Adjust the 2 rubber bumpers on both corners of the hood; they're
really just bolts-upon screwing them they will go up or down, in this
case you want them up a bit more then they are. With this adjustment
it may be necessary to adjust the metal peices which the rubber
bumpers hit on the hood itself. If you take a look at it you will know
what I'm talking about. Hope this helps, Dani B. 5003

Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 09:47:02 -0400
From: "Mark" <mark_at_dml_meninblack.ca>

Yeah... the Bricklin.. you know, that gull-wing sports car that the owner
built with money provided by a large world government, then ran into the
ground....er... oops.

Nevermind :P

Mark.

Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 11:30:06 -0400
From: Mike Substelny <msubstel_at_dml_lorainccc.edu>

The mistake about year of manufacture is very common.  I wonder why?

Way back in 1996 I posted a message that Michael Morlan's 1992 book "American Automobile Collections and Museums" claimed there was a 1977 DeLorean on display at the San Diego Automotive Museum.  I am amazed that an automotive museum or an automotive book editor could make such a glaring mistake.

- Mike Substelny

Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 10:59:41 -0500
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: Brett Bonte of Yonkers, NY?

*****  Moderator's Note  *****
Please reply to James privately

*****  Mike G  Moderator of the Week

Anyone know how to get a hold of him? His phone number has been "temporarily
disconnected" and I don't have an email for him. Really need to chat with
him about an order he placed at the Pigeon Forge show...

James Espey

------------------------------------
DeLorean Motor Company
Vice President
james_at_dml_delorean.com
15023 Eddie Drive
Humble, Texas 77396 USA
tel: 800/872-3621
tel2:281/441-2537
fax: 281/441-2813

Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 11:03:24 -0500
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Side Stripes

Again, I can make them in ANY color you want, glossy, black, white, blue,
yellow, red, gold, silver...whatever.
The only thing you can NOT get is anything that resembles the originals.
They will not be thick or textured - no one makes that material.
If they did I would make them that way.
The originals are not available, if you find some they are over 20 years old
and may not be sticky, or may be creased or bent from storage, etc....
If you find an "original" set you can expect to pay $300-$500 for them
and they may not meet your expectations.
You might have to glue them on to the car.

The stripes I will offer will be made from modern 3M vinyl.
It will stick like "grim death" but can also be easily peeled off without
leaving a residue.
I will have a few sets in a few days, and they will be $149.00 a set.
However, I will make this offer for anyone -
For anyone who wants a set I will let the first person who wants one can get
them for only $100 including shipping, as long as they will send me lots of
photos
of thier car with the stripes on. I need some pictures of them to show
others.
(I can't put them on my car since I have the originals now)
Contact me directly.
- VB