From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2134
Date: Thursday, July 22, 2004 11:01 PM

From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

From: gonedeaf85_at_dml_aol.com

From: "Adam Lee" <delorean852003_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: Michael Paine <mpaine_at_dml_tycomsystems.com>

From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

From: "Brian McCool" <bjmccool_at_dml_comcast.net>

From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

From: " Toscano" <toscano2_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>

From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

From: "ksgrimsr" <knut.s.grimsrud_at_dml_intel.com>

From: Eric Itzel <eric_at_dml_seviernet.com>

14. LED Pics in "Photos" Section
From: "dmcorlando2003" <SundeQuick_at_dml_aol.com>

15. RE: Manifest 10
From: "Arnie Brandon" <arnie_at_dml_pndc.org>

16. AW: 1979 DeLorean
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>

17. Re: What would YOU pay?
From: "Dani B" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

18. Re: Red/blue wire near instrument cluster?
From: "Matt" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

19. 3rd Brake Light Wiring
From: "Mike Walsh" <yahoo_at_dml_oneskydojo.com>

20. Objection to the Production Chronology notes (was Warranty Card Information)
From: Travis Graham <tgraham_at_dml_noroads.com>

21. Re: What would YOU pay?
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

22. Re: Manifest 10
From: "ksgrimsr" <knut.s.grimsrud_at_dml_intel.com>

23. More New Owner Questions
From: "Michael & Denise" <luckeys71_at_dml_cox.net>

24. RE: Re: Side Stripes
From: service_at_dml_techno-concepts.com

25. Re: Objection to the Production Chronology notes
From: "Hank" <henry_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 16:04:07 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: mode switch vacuum disappeared

That hard plastic line itself can crack. Mine did (replaced it with
fuel line hose).

Line goes to a vacuum canister inside the driver's pontoon, thence
through a grommet to a Tee at the passenger intake rail (other side of
that Tee goes to the brake booster). Vacuum canister is accessed by
removing the charcoal canister then pulling it out the same access
panel (is held in by those two 5/16-24 nuts on the diver pontoon. Use
1/2" wrench to remove).

Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 11:25:37 -0500
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Side stripes (new question)

This is what I get for letting John borrow my set of stripes! :>
That's OK, I knew about it.
We had both talked about making these and we were both confused as to who of
us were going to end up being the one to sell them.
We try to keep an agreement not to compete with each other in parts.

I told John that if his stripes were significantly better that mine and
closer to the originals
I would just skip making them and selling them, however if all he can come
up with
is basically the same thing I am doing then I guess we will both sell them.

These are expensive to make because of the preparation.
They need to be mounted on "transfer tape" so that they are easy to install
for the buyer.

The basic version I will have will be a semi-gloss black.
I am experimenting with a silver that closely matches the color of the facia
paint,
so this would give a nice two tone that would look natural.
This is the same color I used on one of my bumper letter sets.
The first set of bumper letters I made were white, but then I came up with
these silvery looking
letters and I actually thought they looked better because of the way they
matched my fascia paint.

Anyway, me and John are good friends so there is no rivalry.
I look at it like a game of friendly competition.
May the best stripe win.
- Videobob

Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 12:41:21 EDT
From: gonedeaf85_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Another fraudulant Ebay posting

Hello everyone.  FYI  ebay item # 2485099157 is using a photo of mine and
Eric's DeLorean to sell his car.  I've already contacted Ebay about it.

Marni
007104

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2485099157&
category=31830

Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 17:48:17 -0000
From: "Adam Lee" <delorean852003_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Manifest 10

What does Manifest 10 mean on the production chonology?  I am sad
there is no warranty card for mine.  Does anyone have any information
on VIN# 1913?

Thanks,
Adam Lee
VIN # 1913

Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 13:58:54 -0400
From: Michael Paine <mpaine_at_dml_tycomsystems.com>

I have replaced the hard plastic hose in my car with a new one from DMCH - mine
was cracked.

It goes from a small rubber fitting under the center console straight back and
through the driver side rear triangular relay compartment into the rear pontoon
and turns 90 degrees or so and goes into the engine bay - from there it plugs
directly into 1-2" long rubber coupling hose (part escapes me - maybe vacuum
advance? - mine is not an OEM part but it looks like a black flying saucer) on
the rear of the engine.

Regards,

Michael

Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 11:38:13 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: engine wont runs

Yan, Coming off the bottom right terminal of the resistor coil should be
about 9 to 12 volts going to the ( - ) side of the coil when cranking. If
that isn't there then you will have no spark because there isn't enough for
voltage for the coil to work with. Check that and let us know.
John Hervey
www.specialTauto.com

Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 18:10:01 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Hood won't pop up

Make sure the metal loop on the hood (bonnet) locates right in the
middle of the latch without rubbing on the sides. Adjust the latch
left or right to do this, enlarge the bolt holes if you have to. The
other thing is there are 2 springs in the lock. Take the cover off and
shorten the smaller spring a little. Add a back-up emergency cable in
case the cable should break again. Lubricate the lock, that always
helps too.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, deloreanernst_at_dml_a... wrote:
> My hood used to pop up a fraction when I pulled the hood release.
Lately I

Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 13:21:48 -0500
From: "Brian McCool" <bjmccool_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Re: 1979 DeLorean

It's also possible he put a deposit down with a dealer in 1979 and considers
this to be when he made the actual purchase or he could just look at his VIN
plate with the date of manufacture to see when it was made (shouldn't be
dated before March of 1981, right??)
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 11:32:21 -0500
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Opinions on DMCH's exhaust

When I was down in Houston they let me check out one of the cars with the
engine upgrade which also had the exhaust on it.
It grumbled like a 69 Camera hot rod.
I thought it had a Harley like rumble to it, but MUCH deeper.
It does not have that low hum that the rice cars have, but it was pretty
grumbly.

I have a set of custom glass packs on my car, and it was louder than my car.

I ride a Harley, so I am used to a loud pipe, but if you want a quite ride
then skip it.
You will absolutely hear it and feel it from inside the car.
When you let off the gas it will pop and gurgle.
This all sounds cool and it will be intimidating, but I am not sure if
that's your bag.
If not for the $2000 it costs to purchase, ship and install it I would have
already bought it.
If they ever drop the price I will get one.
- Videobob

Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 15:21:51 -0700
From: " Toscano" <toscano2_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>
Subject: What would YOU pay?

Getting right to the point...I am not some "lurker," I am a former owner who has been on the list for years and understand most aspects of owning a D. Recently on a drive in upstate NY I found an excellent candidate for my next princess, and I am just seeking opinions on value. I am an electrical guy but know next to nothing about engines...and therein lies the catch.
Car is an 81, VIN 2XXX, second owner, automatic, shows 3500 miles but owner says it's more like 9K, body and interior 100% pristine, was at PJ Grady in 2000 for updated window motors, Motorola alternator, fuel system going-thru, and other necessary stuff. Owner says car ran and drove fine up until about two years ago when it developed an unknown engine problem. He believes a piston is "stuck" and just needs to be popped out of place with a whack from a 2x4, and then he surmises the whole engine would need a good going-over, possibly including resleeving the problem cylinder.
Now, engine repairs to me give thoughts of high repair bills and lots of frustration, but the asking price of $5000 makes me think I'd be a fool to pass it up. Thoughts? Opinions? FWIW I did also speak to a neighbor (the owner does not know I did this), who said the car was running and driving fine until it was parked, which he was sure was "after 9/11 occurred" and he does not remember it being towed there.

Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 11:26:28 -0500
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: TV Show

I would pay handsomely for a very good copy of this video - in NTSC
preferable or on DVD.
- VB

Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 19:41:33 -0000
From: "ksgrimsr" <knut.s.grimsrud_at_dml_intel.com>
Subject: Re: Warranty Card Information

The material in the vin list comes from many different sources and
is contributed by several different sleuths out there.

The note you refer to is likely as a result of the VIN having been
discovered as a result of an e-bay listing at some point. I'm
striving to scrub the material contributed by other sources to
ensure the notes assoicated with them have longevity and apply
regardless of how old the entry is, but the entry you cite had not
been scrubbed yet.

        Knut

Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 17:56:57 -0400
From: Eric Itzel <eric_at_dml_seviernet.com>
Subject: Re: What would YOU pay?

Think about this- $5000 for a car with a bad engine, $5000 for a new engine
from DMCH. $10000 for a DeLorean isn't a bad deal.

Eric Itzel

Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 22:06:11 -0000
From: "dmcorlando2003" <SundeQuick_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: LED Pics in "Photos" Section

In the 'photos' sectin there is a group of photos under LED Dash that
shows side marker and turn signals converted to LEDS....who posted
these pics.  I would like more information on the LEDS used.  I like
the multiple LED look they provide.

Thanks

Michael
VIN# 02944

Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 16:05:34 -0700
From: "Arnie Brandon" <arnie_at_dml_pndc.org>
Subject: RE: Manifest 10

Adam, as past president of Pacific Northwest DeLorean Club, (PNDC), I have
an extensive profile of this car.  If you are anywhere around the Seattle
area where this car bounced around since 1988, contact me privately and we
can discuss the history of your car.
Arnie
OBSESSD #6292

Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 01:11:16 +0200
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>
Subject: AW: 1979 DeLorean

And I read a book at the San Diego Museum that said a Delorean is a 2+2
seater.

I am still looking for the other two seats ?!?

Elvis & 6548

The mistake about year of manufacture is very common.  I wonder why?

Way back in 1996 I posted a message that Michael Morlan's 1992 book
"American Automobile Collections and Museums" claimed there was a 1977
DeLorean on display at the San Diego Automotive Museum.  I am amazed that an
automotive museum or an automotive book editor could make such a glaring
mistake.

- Mike Substelny

Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 23:21:09 -0000
From: "Dani B" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

I am living in upstate NY; the good old Catskills lol. You would
really have to get more details on the car before you can ask this
question. Such as how is the frame? How about the automatic
transmission-they are notorious for problems...If these are all good
(but it is hard to tell how good the transmission is with non-running
engine), then I would say yeah 5K is a nice deal, but then again I'm a
mechanic who does lots of engine work so fixing the engine wouldn't be
costly. If it has to be done in a shop, obviously this stuff is
pricey, but if you fix the engine and find that the trans doesn't work
or malfunctions-not worth it-to me anyway. Depending on the person,
you will get all kinds of answers to this question, some will say yes,
some will say no. Dani B. 5003

Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 23:27:18 -0000
From: "Matt" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>
Subject: Re: Red/blue wire near instrument cluster?

I had to re-remove the instrument cluster to plug this thing back
in, so I took a blurry picture for future reference.  Here is is:

http://tinyurl.com/64n3s

You can see the red/blue wire that plugs into the diode.  This is
located on the same wire bundle that plugs into the back of the
instrument cluster.

Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 23:39:02 -0000
From: "Mike Walsh" <yahoo_at_dml_oneskydojo.com>
Subject: 3rd Brake Light Wiring

Hi Everyone. I purchased a 3rd brake light from a GM dealer (from '86
Vette) and was trying to figure out how to run the wires to splice
into the taillight.

The light will sit on the top louver and the wires will go through a
small hole to run forward into the rear screen (the part you remove
to adjust the torsion bars). I have a small mail/female connector
which I was going to hide just inside the light housing. That way if
the louvers have to come off it would be simple to disconnect. From
the light the wire is a smooth black (18/2) cable about 1/4" in
diameter.

Any suggestions on where to run the wire from there? I have not had
the t-panel off so I am not sure the best way to get it to the tail
light. I am guessing that finding a ground is no problem but I am
open to suggestions on that too.

- Mike

Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 18:46:59 -0500
From: Travis Graham <tgraham_at_dml_noroads.com>
Subject: Objection to the Production Chronology notes (was Warranty Card Information)

Just for kicks, I looked up my own car and mine says "Problem with AC
leak on floor."  Come on!  I've had MANY more problems than that!  Who
hasn't?  I bought it with a few dings, cooked interior, shoddy
transmission, and plenty of cosmetic problems just to name a few.  All
of which have been fixed as thoroughly and properly as possible, but
shall we chalk those down in the "Production Chronology VIN List" as
well?

To be completely honest, I'm a bit miffed that this trite problem with
the drain tube getting clogged (and thus, dumping water on the floor)
at some point over the past seven years would show up as a "blemish" in
the "Production Chronology VIN List" next to my beloved #6344.  I don't
see too many other DeLoreans with problems listed next to them.  In
fact, according to my PDF viewer, the word "problem" occurs only three
times in this document.  The other two are "Problems with frame rust"
and the infamous "repair problems."  Hmm...

I can understand the reasoning behind including notes on DeLoreans that
have been "taken out of the pool" by being catastrophically damaged,
destroyed, or otherwise made incapable of serving as a means of
transportation.  But pointing out a clogged drain tube, especially when
compared to a "rusted frame," seems pretty misplaced to me.  I argue to
say that the vast majority of the vehicles on the Production Chronology
have experienced some "problem" over the years.  And I bet plenty of
those problems were far worse than a clogged drain tube.  I've had
plenty worse myself!

Rarely does a day go by without some problem being posted on the DML,
which I suppose is how my problem found its way into the Chronology
(and that automatic entry is disturbing enough in and of itself).

Should I even care?  Probably not; I'm planning on driving my car until
it becomes undrivable, but it's the principle of the matter at hand
that I care about.  "Singling out" is probably a gross exaggeration in
this case (I should hope so at least!), but why only the three of us?

Let's take some of these "problems" out, shall we?  Or, let's start a
new document for the "problems!"  Watch out, it'll be a big one!

Happy motoring,

Travis Graham
#6344 - it once had a clogged drain tube.

P.S. And by the way, the last time I drove #6344, the AC condensation
was draining just fine.

Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 23:55:36 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

If he is telling you a piston is "stuck" then I am assuming the engine
will not crank over. This can be anything from a bad starter to a
seized motor. I would not believe you could just whack it with a 2x4
and fix it. If it was that easy then why did the owner not do it? You
have to consider the price of the car less what it would cost to
replace the engine, essentially "worst case". Since the car cannot
drive you cannot evaluate the other major (read expensive) systems on
the car like the trans, brakes, steering. If the motor won't run then
you have to figure it may be a parts car without a motor. In that case
if the body panels and the interior is not too bad it is worth
somewhere between $3,000-$5,000 with a clean title. I will take a wild
guess but I am probably close, the motor overheated, locked up the
cylinders with coolant and won't turn. It may be cleanable with a head
gasket replacement but figure on rebuilding the fuel system, cooling
system, and brakes. If it really cooked the trans may also have
internal damage. Where in NY? If it is not too far I may be able to
help you inspect the car to further define the extent of what it would
take to get it going. Figure you spend $5,000 on the car, $3,000 on
the motor, and $5,000 on "everything else" and you have $13,000 in it.
After all that work is it really a bargain? You can buy a really
pretty one that runs for $15,000. You may have to put some more in it
but you will be way ahead. Don't forget to look underneath for frame rust.

Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 23:55:50 -0000
From: "ksgrimsr" <knut.s.grimsrud_at_dml_intel.com>

Some DMC company records have been discovered that included lists of
VIN numbers and car details. One of those discovered records
included the shipping manifest for the 10th load of cars transported
from Belfast to the US.

A note of "Manifest 10" merely indicates that the indicated car was
among the cars listed as being on the 10th shipment. I think the
name of the ship and the transit dates might be on the manifests as
well, but was not transcribed into the list.

    Knut

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Adam Lee" <delorean852003_at_dml_y...>

Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 21:01:07 -0400
From: "Michael & Denise" <luckeys71_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: More New Owner Questions

Hi gang,
I have some more questions that perhaps members of the group can help answer.  The front of my car has 2 deer warning attachments  by the headlights-are these a DeLorean item or something that was added on later which I should probably just remove?  Also, my interior carpet is in O.K. shape but has some slight staining due to age.  Is it possible to dye the carpet instead of replacing all of the pieces?  I have a black interior but the carpet looks as if it's gray with some fading due to age.  On a funny side note my wife and I caught the beginning of "Back To The Future" on Sunday right at the part where Marty tries to restart the car after arriving in 1955 and is forced to push it behind a billboard after it wouldn't fire up again.  We went out swimming on Monday and on the way back from the rec center I couldn't keep the car idling correctly(turned out to be a spark plug problem) so I ended up having to push the car down the block to our house proving once again that truth can be stranger than fiction!
Frustrated but still loving DeLoreans,

Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 19:04:39 -0400
From: service_at_dml_techno-concepts.com
Subject: RE: Re: Side Stripes

FYI -

Colored wide stripes have been done already.
For those who did not get the opportunity to see it at Pigeon Forge -
I have posted pictures of my car on the DML.(Side Stripe)

I too can offer any color with or without the DMC logos.
The black textured is available, by the way, but not in 3M
I have a set of black on my desk now.
Almost any good vinyl person can do this for under $150.00.
I do have the templets for the stripes so if I can help anyone in anyway let
me know.

If you have any questions and you want to ask someone who has already done
it
rather than people who like to copy others and are dreaming about doing it,
contact me.

ken_at_dml_techno-concepts.com

Ken #02700

[moderator snip]

Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 21:14:09 -0400
From: "Hank" <henry_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Objection to the Production Chronology notes

I'll second this.  My entry (#1619) has: "Replaced exhaust manifold, Hood grooves, Gasflap".  Yes, my car has grooves and the flap, but I have no idea how the "Replaced exhaust manifold" got on there.  I had a leaky exhaust/gasket job by Rob Grady a couple of years ago, but I've also have about $10K of other, plenty more important, work done to it as well.

I'd assert that there needs to be some minimum standard for the comments on the Production Chronology - like serious frame rust, odometer rollbacks, known accidents, major non-stock modifications, questionable ebay auction histories, etc.  Items that a prospective buyer would like to/need to know about before buying a car.  An A/C leak, exhaust manifold, or any other easily repaired item should not be included, IMHO... Unless, of course, we have the option of including them ALL -  a task I'm certain Knut would not be willing to do.  ;)

-Hank (whose entry is oddly missing the warrantee card). #1619