From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2136
Date: Saturday, July 24, 2004 2:44 AM

1. Re: Objection to the Production Chronology notes
From: "Dani B" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

2. Re: engine wont runs
From: "delorean6584" <carburateur100gaz_at_dml_msn.com>

3. Re: Objection to the Production Chronology notes
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

4. Re: LED Pics in "Photos" Section
From: "dmcorlando2003" <SundeQuick_at_dml_aol.com>

5. Re: LED Pics in "Photos" Section
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

6. Re: Objection to the Production Chronology notes
From: "ksgrimsr" <knut.s.grimsrud_at_dml_intel.com>

7. Re: Side Stripes
From: wingd2_at_dml_aol.com

8. Re: Suggestions for Knut's Production Chronology
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

9. Help me fix my glove box
From: "Matt" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

10. Re: New DeLorean club: Mid-South DMC
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

11. Re: LED Pics in "Photos" Section
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

12. Re: 1979 DeLorean
From: Peter Lucas <lucas_at_dml_Maya.com>

13. Re: Suggestions for Knut's Production Chronology
From: Steve Stankiewicz <protodelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. Re: Re: Suggestions for Knut's Production Chronology
From: "Lauren" <LPLand_at_dml_earthlink.net>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 04:21:05 -0000
From: "Dani B" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Re: Objection to the Production Chronology notes

Obviously I agree with you guys. My car was on Ebay, but never got any
bids at all, was never sold on Ebay, and was actually obtained in a
completly different manner. In fact, I didn't even pay a cent to get
my car or transportation from where it was. Anyway- I think the notes
section should be
reworked, a numerical system works great (1=Frame rust, 5=Totalled,
2=etc etc.). Again as Hank said, only minimal/Major things should be
noted. I do NOT believe every little detail about the car can, and
should be noted. My car HAD a bad frame, but wasn't noted, as well as
my replaced hub carrier, A/C removed and etc. Perhaps this list of
Vins needs a large update. No worries because 5003 will not exchange
hands until my dirt nap-- Dani B. 5003

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Hank" <henry_at_dml_i...> wrote:

> I'll second this.  My entry (#1619) has: "Replaced exhaust manifold,
Hood grooves, Gasflap".  Yes, my car has grooves and the flap, but I
have no idea how the "Replaced exhaust manifold" got on there.  I had
a leaky exhaust/gasket job by Rob Grady a couple of years ago, but
I've also have about $10K of other, plenty more important, work done
to it as well.

> I'd assert that there needs to be some minimum standard for the
comments on the Production Chronology - like serious frame rust,
odometer rollbacks, known accidents, major non-stock modifications,
questionable ebay auction histories, etc.  Items that a prospective
buyer would like to/need to know about before buying a car.  An A/C
leak, exhaust manifold, or any other easily repaired item should not
be included, IMHO... Unless, of course, we have the option of
including them ALL -  a task I'm certain Knut would not be willing to
do.  ;)

Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 07:06:22 -0000
From: "delorean6584" <carburateur100gaz_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Re: engine wont runs

after a 3-4 hours searching my workshop manual and testing
compônents....i finally found that the ecu plugin was a little out,
i clip it then it fires right up....notice how often you discover
the defective part in LAST of checkups....since my cu is under my 2
woofer box and that the box is bolted on the rear firewal ant
etc...its why i checked it in last !!!!

Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 13:00:22 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

The chronology is a piece of work done on a volunteer basis.  The
information in the chronology is collected on a best can do basis.
None of this has been kept a secret.  The chronology is available
through the DMCnews website (www.dmcnews.com - click on Resource
Files, then Delorean Production Chronology).  If you have more
information about a particular car in the chronology, send
that information to Knut Grimsrud - he will be happy to include it.

 -------------- Original message from "Dani B" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>: --------------

Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 13:19:17 -0000
From: "dmcorlando2003" <SundeQuick_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: LED Pics in "Photos" Section

Hey VB,

I know you posted the LED pics in the photo section.  But the ones I
am asking about are under LED DASH and show multiple groupings of
LEDS for the markers (Big sqare sets of LEDS)and the turn signals
(Even Bigger sqaures of LEDs) as well as numerous pics of the LED
dash..

I do agreee with you that the smaller LEDS don't look "right" for the
side markers

Michael
VIN#02944

Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 11:26:59 -0500
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Oh, maybe I missed that one.
I did not see that!

I am working on a kit that will replace all of your DASH lights.
The indicators, and back lighting.
I am playing around with using UV blacklight LED's, and painting the needles
with
glow in the dark paint.
This will make the dash glow like an indiglo, and the needles will really
stand out.
This will be much cheaper and easier to do that the indiglo kit.
I will let you know my findings as to how well it works, and when they are
ready.
- VB

>From: "dmcorlando2003" <SundeQuick_at_dml_aol.com>
>To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
>Subject: Re: [DML] LED Pics in "Photos" Section
>Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 13:19:17 -0000
>
>Hey VB,
>
>I know you posted the LED pics in the photo section.  But the ones I
>am asking about are under LED DASH and show multiple groupings of
>LEDS for the markers (Big sqare sets of LEDS)and the turn signals
>(Even Bigger sqaures of LEDs) as well as numerous pics of the LED
>dash..
>
>I do agreee with you that the smaller LEDS don't look "right" for the
>side markers
>
>Michael
>VIN#02944

[moderator snip]

Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 15:32:27 -0000
From: "ksgrimsr" <knut.s.grimsrud_at_dml_intel.com>

Thanks to all those that have been sending me updates on the side
for improving the accuracy of the VIN list information.

I'll share a dirty little secret about the VIN list with you all.
Almost none of the information in the VIN list is actually authored
by me -- nearly all the infomration is as submitted by other
sources. Those other sources include the DOD (where a substantial
amount of the info comes from), contributed transcription of company
records (like the warranty cards), regional club organizers, and
enthusiast sleuths.

I agree with the comments about the kinds of information that
belongs on the submitted records, and I will start scrubbing the
material I receive to watch out for information that does not have
good longevity. Scrubbing the massive DOD submission for suitable
data will be a drag, and I encourage those owners that fill in the
forms to do so with an eye towards the kinds of information that
will be relevant in the long-run.

If you have corrections or additions to the information on your car
(or any other car you have first-hand information on), please feel
free to drop me a note and I would be more than happy to correct the
info.

         Knut

Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 13:22:52 EDT
From: wingd2_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Side Stripes

Ken,
       Saw your car at the show and I liked the stripe. Very different. And
Yep, I agree. We built a car for the Cleveland show 4 years ago with a burgundy
interior and added a set of burgundy wide side stripes to match. Cost was
well under $150 installed.

In a message dated 7/22/2004 11:46:55 PM Central Standard Time,
   From: service_at_dml_techno-concepts.com
   Subject: RE: Re: Side Stripes

"FYI -

Colored wide stripes have been done already.
For those who did not get the opportunity to see it at Pigeon Forge -
I have posted pictures of my car on the DML.(Side Stripe)

I too can offer any color with or without the DMC logos.
The black textured is available, by the way, but not in 3M
I have a set of black on my desk now.
Almost any good vinyl person can do this for under $150.00."

ken_at_dml_techno-concepts.com

Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 17:57:02 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Suggestions for Knut's Production Chronology

For Knut's list to be useful, it needs to compare a manageable number
of characteristics common to all DeLoreans. I'd suggest:
- Current status of original distinguishing characteristics (hood
style, interior color, transmission)
- Current exterior finish (stainless or painted)
- Perhaps presence of external mods (spoilers, ground effects, side
scoops, etc not necessarily itemized)
- Lowered suspension (2 or 4 wheels)
- Major changes to engine (re-power, turbocharging, etc)
- Major changes to frame (not repairs or patches, but total swap or
rebuild)
- General presence of OEM and major vendor mods (not necessarily
itemized, but indication if car was updated via this route)
- General presence of proprietary mods (again, not itemized, but
general indication if car has gone the other common route)
- Accident damage above some threshold
- Of course other "Notes" (BTTF, historical cars, etc)

The last thing we need to do is innundate poor Knut with minute
details of our sound systems and 3rd brake lights.

Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 17:13:29 -0000
From: "Matt" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>
Subject: Help me fix my glove box

I had my dash out to recover, and now that I'm putting it back
together, i can't seem to get my glove compartment to work properly
with the latch.  Either it latches, but sticks way above the dash,
or it doesn't latch but it's aligned properly with the rest of the
dash.

Would someone mind posting a few pics of theirs?  Particularly, just
shots of the actual lower latch would be great.

thanks a MILLION!

Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 13:05:41 -0500
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: New DeLorean club: Mid-South DMC

Cool new website. http://www.msdmc.com

I really like your downloads section about the desktop Widget for the
DML newsgroup. For those people that haven't been to the site yet i
will explain. They have a download for a Widget that gets placed on
your desktop that shows the newest DML topics, click on the topic and
it takes you directly to Yahoo to read them.

Great job

Mark V

Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 13:09:07 -0500
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

Video Bob,

The problem with painting the needles it that you will make them
heavier. The speedometer works on a magnetic drive and if you make the
needle heavier the speed shown will be slower than the car is moving,
so you will be speeding and not even know it. Take the speedometer
apart and you will see what i mean.

Mark V

Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 14:51:08 -0400
From: Peter Lucas <lucas_at_dml_Maya.com>
Subject: Re: 1979 DeLorean

On Jul 22, 2004, at 10:05 PM, therealdmcvegas wrote:

>  Consumer reports published two books, I
> believed were called called "The Ultimate Sports Car Book", and "The
> Complete Sports Car Book" which was suppposed to be a listing of every
> sports car ever made. The both books listed the DeLorean, but were
> simple copy/paste hack jobs!

Just for the record, I am pretty sure you are referring to "Consumer's
Guide", not "Consumer Reports".  The confusion is common and
deliberate. Consumer Reports is a highly reputable (although not
unbiased) non-profit organization. Consumer's Guide is a good step down
the food chain, and markets itself to a significant extent by apeing
the name and look of Consumer Reports.

That said, some of their automotive publications are pretty useful as
reference guides to collector cars, and are often found very cheaply on
remainder piles in bookstores.

--Pete Lucas

Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 11:47:07 -0700 (PDT)
From: Steve Stankiewicz <protodelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Another $.02:

I see the Chronology as more of a historical reference
and resource for someone researching the build history
of the Delorean or possibly considering purchasing a
Delorean.  Things like the car's original
configuration/options as well as the fact that it was,
for example, an original "Company Car" or even
previously owned by someone famous are good examples
of what should be in the chronology.  These types of
things may not be evident in photographs and are also
NOT SUBJECT TO CHANGE.  (They may be added to, but the
original entry would not go away) If a car has
officially been totaled to parted out could also be
listed.   Modifications such as lowering, spoilers,
scoops, etc. can be added/removed too easily to expect
a list like this to remain accurate. If someone is
looking to get a feel for what percentage of
Delorean's have been lowered, a survey is a better
route.

=====
Steve

VIN 2650 ("Project Delorean")
www.projectdelorean.com

Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 17:12:58 -0700
From: "Lauren" <LPLand_at_dml_earthlink.net>

Bill wrote:

> For Knut's list to be useful, it needs to compare a manageable number
> of characteristics common to all DeLoreans. I'd suggest  <snip>

I agree.  Maybe an interactive online form where D owners could fill
in the blanks in answer to specific questions could work.  It might
be esier for Knut to assimilate all that info into his log if it's
presented in that kind of format.