From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2151
Date: Tuesday, August 03, 2004 5:38 PM

1. Re: Looking for someone from DCS 2004
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

2. Re: Looking for someone from DCS 2004
From: "Joseph Molino" <foxmul_at_dml_bellatlantic.net>

3. RE: Ignition breakdown
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

4. Delorean Spotting
From: "Jeff Chabotte" <Jeff_at_dml_88-mph.com>

5. Re: Rear View Mirror Removal
From: "Jim Reeve" <jim.reeve_at_dml_wayzata.k12.mn.us>

6. Timing procedure
From: "Jeff Phillips" <jeff.phillips_at_dml_keesler.af.mil>

7. Re: Timing procedure
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

8. Re: Delorean Spotting
From: "thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_cox.net>

9. Re: Re: Timing procedure
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMUK <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

10. Re: Re: Rear View Mirror Removal
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

11. Re: Timing procedure
From: "Jeff Phillips" <jeff.phillips_at_dml_keesler.af.mil>

12. Re: Vandalism to My D
From: "Charlie" <charles_az1_at_dml_hotmail.com>

13. RE: Re: Timing procedure
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

14. Re: Re: Timing procedure
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMUK <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

15. Re: Re: Vandalism to My D
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>

16. Re: Good news
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>

17. Vandalism to My D
From: Phil Priestley <phil_at_dml_alessandros120.com>

18. Re: Ported PRV Vacuum Ports
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

19. Door lights out
From: "Hank" <henry_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>

20. Re: Re: 6x8 speakers in rear
From: "Christopher Hawes" <chris_at_dml_hawes74.freeserve.co.uk>

21. Re: Good news
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMUK <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

22. Funky Doors
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMUK <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

23. Re: Re: Ported PRV Vacuum Ports
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMUK <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

24. Re: California Autofest details?
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

25. Re: Door lights out
From: Rod Dillman <rhdillman_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 23:30:46 EDT
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Looking for someone from DCS 2004

if it was the car that was across the front on the left side in front of the
two turbos it was Rob Grady

if it was on the right side it was Rich Wiesensell

Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 22:43:53 -0400
From: "Joseph Molino" <foxmul_at_dml_bellatlantic.net>

I would love to see pics of this.

Joseph Molino
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 22:16:33 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Ignition breakdown

Rich, If your running 7 volts to the coil then that's to low.

Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 22:44:46 -0400
From: "Jeff Chabotte" <Jeff_at_dml_88-mph.com>
Subject: Delorean Spotting

Can't say that I've heard of this one before.

In the music video for the band "Honeymoon Suite" song: "New Girl Now" a
D shows up within the first 3 seconds of footage.

This is unconfirmed as it was reported to me by a friend.

-Jeff Chabotte
Norwich, CT
http://www.7blade.com

Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 02:58:12 -0000
From: "Jim Reeve" <jim.reeve_at_dml_wayzata.k12.mn.us>
Subject: Re: Rear View Mirror Removal

As Patrick suggested, pull it downward.

I was able to do a little trick on my mirror that prevented me from
needing to re-glue it to the windshield.  I have not seen this
mentioned on the DML before, but I've only been sparcely reading it
for the past 2 years.  I rotated the mirror downward, then while
applying counter-pressure on the mount, I managed to "pop" it of of
the windshield mount.  A new one should also be able to just "pop"
in.  It requires a fair amount of pressure but I did it just fine.

This method is probably very beneficial to somebody who is having
problems getting the mirror to stick to the windshield.  They can
detatch the windshield mount, stick it to the glass, and leave it
there for a few days while the tape takes ahold.

This is how I was able to adapt a GM autodimming mirror to the
original DeLorean mount.  Popped off the original mirror.
Sacrificed it to the dremel.  Dissassembled GM mirror ($10 from junk
yard, perfect shape).  Removed steel GM mounting ball.  Epoxied in
plastic socket from sacrificed DeLorean mirror.  Popped new mirror
into original mount.  It is likely necessary to remove the headliner
to cleanly wire it.  Since mine had been off for 3 years at that
point, it was no problem.  I have pictures somewhere if anyone is
interested.

Jim Reeve
MNDMC - Minnesota DeLorean Club
DMC-6960

Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 13:50:06 -0000
From: "Jeff Phillips" <jeff.phillips_at_dml_keesler.af.mil>
Subject: Timing procedure

Having looked through the archives I've still a question on the
correct timing procedure. Just so I'm sure, although the manual
doesn't say to, you should disconnect the vacuum advance and also
block off the disconnected hose correct?  Everything timed out great
when I did this, and the mechanical and vacuum advances advanced per
the specs in the manual however when I reconnected the vacuum advance
line the timing gets pretty far advanced and it doesn't run as
smootly when it was blocked.
The timing at idle is about 30' when all of the vacuum lines are
connected, does this seem in the ballpark?

How critical is the the delay valve as mine beeds down in around 3-
4secs instead of the 10 per the manual?

Is there a way to test the vacuum solenoid as far as when it should
open, I really don't know what the function of the vacuum solenoid is.

Jeff Phillips

Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 16:02:14 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Timing procedure

Your vacuum advance solenoid is not operating properly. There should
be no advance at idle.

In the DeLo setup, vacuum advance is either full on or full off.
Solenoid cuts off vacuum at idle, then shoots 100% as soon as the
throttle plates open (idle speed microswitch opens).

I much prefer Volvo and Renault's PRV setup -- spark advance is taken
from traditional ported vacuum nipples under the throttle plates.
Shoots vacuum progressively as they open.

Plus there's no solenoid to malfunction, as yours obviously has.

Delay valve is for Series 066 CPR full throttle fuel enrichment --
another complicated setup that early imported Volvos (Series 004 CPR)
and European PRV's (Series 038 CPR) avoid with a simple plate
connected directly to manifold vacuum. Later imported Volvos used
Series 066 CPR as well.

Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 16:01:57 -0000
From: "thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Re: Delorean Spotting

Now it's confirmed.

http://www.entermyworld.com/dsontv/index.html

Johnny
5518

Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 17:44:37 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMUK <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Re: Timing procedure

Not quite correct - there's full engine vacuum at downstream of the
throttles but this drops as the throttles are opened. Full throttle sees
little or no vacuum advance.

Basically what the DeLorean setup does is to run more advance under
light throttle - which is done on a lot of modern engines to clean up
emissions (making sure the burn is complete). Euro PRV's circa 81 didn't
worry too much about this.

There are numerous different vacuum setups in my Renault manual - some
even using the delay valve on ignition advance for engines used at high
altitude

Martin

Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 12:47:11 -0500
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Rear View Mirror Removal

Yeah somebody told me on the dml i could do the same thing to my new
rear view mirror so i wouldnt have to rip the old mount off the window,
well my new mirror now is just as useless now as the one i took off
because by popping the new ball mount off the new mirror and pressing
it into the old ball mount the new mirror night and day switch breaks
inside. Now i got a $44.95 piece of junk.

Dont do this!

Mark V

Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 17:56:14 -0000
From: "Jeff Phillips" <jeff.phillips_at_dml_keesler.af.mil>

So I should see current across the vacuum advance solenoid when the
Idle Speed Microswitch is closed and when it opens the current should
turn off, which in turn opens the solenoid and provides the vacuum
advance to the distributor.  This of course only happens after the
thermo-time switch has warmed up and diverts manifold vacuum to the
solenoid instead of the Control Pressure Regulator correct.  What
else does the Idle Speed MicroSwitch control other than the vacuum
advance solenoid?  Would it be a sufficient test to see if the
current at the solenoid turns on when the switch is closed, and then
if there is a subsequent presense of vacuum at the distributor?

Jeff

Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 18:37:46 -0000
From: "Charlie" <charles_az1_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Vandalism to My D

  I don't have a D yet, but this is what I worry about.  I live in a
APT complex and its a great place quiet and a guard drives around all
night but still I just know and worry that my future investment will
be tamperd with like this.  And I know a car cover doesn't deter
them.  I guess I will see...

CG

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_r...> wrote:
> Phil!! :(
>
> So sorry to hear about this. What the heck is wrong with people?!
> Things like this really make you lose hope in your fellow human
> beings. I don't even consider someone who would do this as worthy of
> the term human. They are nothing more than a dog. Actually, even
that
> is too good for them.
>
> I can only imagine how angry you are. Make sure you file a police
> report. You might even go talk to the local newspaper - see if they
> are interested in a short story. Maybe someone saw something.
>
> I don't understand what motivates people to do this. I know someone
> who leaves the doors unlocked in her car because "I don't have
> anything in here worth stealing." I tell her, "No, but somebody
might
> take a knife to your leather seats just for the fun of it." She
> doesn't believe people do things like that. I hear about it all the
time.

> -Ryan
>
> --- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Phil Priestley <phil_at_dml_a...> wrote:
> > I have been forced to drive my D the last couple days while my
Benz is

Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 13:38:41 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Jeff,
The microswitch also turns on and off the idle speed motor. You can normally
hear and feel the vacuum solenoid click on and off when you have the car
running and are reviving the motor up enough to get the micro switch to
trip.
Also, The TTS switch works with the cold start valve not the Vac solenoid.
The vacuum is diverted by the green air vac pivot switch ( 3 rubber hoses )
under the intake manifold in the internal water pipe. If everything is
working ok, the vac solenoid will turn off the advance at the distributor
diaphragm while your doing the timing.

Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 20:21:16 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMUK <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

The simplest thing is to run the engine up to temp (solenoid is only
gets vacuum when the engine's hot). Then unplug the vac hose to the
dizzy. If the solenoid is indeed allowing vac advance at idle, the
engine will immediately stumble. If it's working, it should do nothing.

You're correct in your analysis. The idlespeed microswitch also tells
the idlespeed control ECU that the engine's idling. When it's open, the
idlespeed valve closes.

Martin

Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 13:25:23 -0700 (PDT)
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Vandalism to My D

You know, unfortunately, I have heard an increasing
number of these stories in the upcoming one year
time-frame that I bought #3299.  It is a frightening
thought to say the least, but you can't let these
scenarios control you.

I'll confess that when I first got my DeLorean home
(in my parking space, not in my garage dissassembled
from January to last week of April), I would almost
stand guard next to it day and night.  I would go out
at all hours of the night - midnight, 1:30am, 2:45am,
3:15am, 4:35 am, 6:10am - it became obsessive, and I
could not function.  Then I was told that there were
two cars just right across my complex parking lot that
got vandalized, now imagine how that set with me.
This isn't Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston, Miami, or
San Francisco; this is a mid-size town in the
upper-most corner of the Florida panhandle named
Pensacola - population at most 56000 - and I have two
cars less than 20 parking spaces from me that have
been vandalized in under two months flat.

On top of that, I have spent $12000 in my continuing
restoration of my car - $1200 in labor, the rest is
all parts from computer governors and starters down to
Pep Boy hose clamps.  The thing is this: life happens.
 I can go out and sit/sleep next to/in my car for a
year, and then the one time I go inside to sleep, my
car will get hit.  My car may never, ever get hit by a
vandal, or it may get hit multiple times.  Point is -
and I've seen this a couple times from others - you
can't let your fear control you.  If you do, you'll
never enjoy the car, and it'll be more of a drain than
a pleasure to own.

I feel for everyone whose DeLorean gets damaged.  I
have heard some heartbreaking stories of cars almost
totaled in parking garages, down to people blatantly
stepping on the louvers and down the front of the car.
 There are some hateful, beligerent people out there,
and it's downright shameful as to the things people
will do to hurt others.  Don't let the fear that
you'll be next control you.  Now if you walk out and
catch someone vandalizing your car, that is a whole
other story with some very grim outcomes in some
states...

Jeremiah

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 13:29:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Good news

> 1. What is the size and pitch of the CO2 adj screw
> as mine is
> completely absent and causing the engine to run
> really rich.

I know that it requires a 3mm Allen wrench to turn,
maybe that'll help.  Unfortunately, I don't know
specifically, but I do know that much =P.

> 2. Other than emmission concerns are there any other
> concerns I
> should address since my CAT has been hollowed out.

In Florida, they don't do emission requirements.
Search back through the DML messages; I know I've seen
multiple individuals post about this.

> 3. Minimum thicknes allowed when turning a rotor?

http://specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/images/rotor-min-thickness.jpg

11.7 mm
I hope that's the right answer =P.

Sorry to be vague on most the questions; I hope I
helped somehow =P.

http://messenger.yahoo.com

Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 12:39:45 -0700
From: Phil Priestley <phil_at_dml_alessandros120.com>
Subject: Vandalism to My D

Pulled the binnacle, seat and carpets out on Sunday and got it all
cleaned up and put back together. Connected a plug under the binnacle
that was disconnected and now the seat belt buzzer works. Now I now why
the plug was disconnected.
I am watching the ignition breakdown thread intently because thats
exactly what my car started doing a week ago.  I think I will be lazy
and wait till I see a post about how Rich fixes his and then start
there.
vin#2105

Phil Priestley
Alessandros 120
http://alessandros120.com/
(503)370-9951

Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 20:53:33 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Ported PRV Vacuum Ports

Don't have a throttle assembly in front of me, but if I remember
correctly PRV ported vacuum ports are traditional slits. As the plates
open, more of the slit is exposed, increasing the amount of vacuum
allowed through. This is the way ported vacuum has been done for
decades (carburetors).

The advantage of ported vacuum is it varies with throttle plate
activation. DeLo simply takes off from the driver's rail -- 100% of
whatever happens to be in the manifold at that time. Quite a jolt when
the plates are only partially open.

Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 17:02:41 -0400
From: "Hank" <henry_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Door lights out

The three door lights in my passenger door are not working... the driver's side are working fine, so I know the fuse is OK.  What's the most likely place(s) to look for a broken connection in the passenger door light circuit?

Thanks,

-Hank

Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 22:02:57 +0100
From: "Christopher Hawes" <chris_at_dml_hawes74.freeserve.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Re: 6x8 speakers in rear

Hi Louie,

I own vin 5255 in the UK and wondering if you could tell me more about your
upgraded sound system.

Do you have any pictures?

Regards

Chris
http://www.classiccaragency.com/cgi-bin/cca/unidisplay.cgi?search=1&searchtext=228
my car is here

Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 22:31:06 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMUK <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

No idea - but you can't just unscrew it - it hits a stop at both ends of
travel.

Plenty of used venturis in scrapyards over here. Actually need to get
some throttle linkrods ($36 from houston) so off up in a day or two toa
  Volvo breakers 30 mins away. Think I'll nab some intake manifolds and
a few throttle bodies too - maybe a few idlespeed motors as well. Expect
to come away 10 poorer if previous visits are anything to go by.

Martin

Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 22:44:12 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMUK <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Funky Doors

Hi All

Sunday saw the first AGM of the Funky Doors Car Club. Pic here

http://www.delorean.co.uk/funkydoors.JPG

... joking, but a nice pic with our surrogate member, and a useful pic
for anyone who ever confuses DeLorean with Lambo doors

Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 22:50:02 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMUK <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Re: Ported PRV Vacuum Ports

"quite a jolt" ? Not really because there's sod all TORQUE when you're
not letting much air into the engine. Open the throttles more and MAP
increases anyway. And the amount of advance is governed by the travel in
the diaphragm - it ain't a huge amount.

Interetingly, the island turbo setup deliberately leaves the vacuum hose
off the dizzy "because advance is bad". Well, dur - the diapragm is fed
from the intake and won't budge if the intake is under pressure (boost).
Bloody half-assed thinking there - reinstalled the vac solenoid on my
friend's one and wouldn't you know it, bottom end pickup is vastly improved.

Martin

Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 22:03:09 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: California Autofest details?

Any Delorean details from the California Autofest show?

I was not able to attend this event since I was busy with
the Monster Nation filming in 92 degree heat and humidity.

How many Deloreans attended?  More custom or more stock?
Did the DML car owners mingle with the DOA car owners?

Just curious.

Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 15:08:10 -0700 (PDT)
From: Rod Dillman <rhdillman_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Door lights out

Hank, Have you by chance switched to LEDs for the doors recently?