From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2153
Date: Wednesday, August 04, 2004 2:12 PM

From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

From: Thomas Mc Auley <mcauleydmc_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

From: Louie G <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>

From: "Nigel Mills" <NMills_at_dml_paradise.co.uk>

From: motarhedd_at_dml_aol.com

From: "jmt1970amc" <jmt1970amc_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "falltourv" <falltour5_at_dml_hotmail.com>

From: "Marvin" <marv_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com>

13. Re: California Autofest details?
From: "gullwingmagazine" <gullwingmagazine_at_dml_juno.com>

14. Re: California Autofest details?
From: "thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_cox.net>

15. Re: California Autofest details?
From: "thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_cox.net>

16. DMC ebay store update...
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>

17. Re: Re: Disecting Air/Fuel Mixture Unit
From: Michael Paine <mpaine_at_dml_tycomsystems.com>

18. Re: New Owner: 1st Impressions
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

19. Re: need towing advice
From: "Ed Garbade" <edgarbade_at_dml_hotmail.com>

20. Re: Speedometer Update
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

21. More ignition analysis
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

22. Tail-light circuit boards - soldering ok?
From: "lakelanier20" <derek4567_at_dml_hotmail.com>

23. Re: Tail-light circuit boards - soldering ok?
From: "Hank" <henry_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>

24. Re: Tail-light circuit boards - soldering ok?
From: "Christopher Hawes" <chris_at_dml_hawes74.freeserve.co.uk>

25. RE: Re: Disecting Air/Fuel Mixture Unit
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_mchsi.com>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 21:07:58 -0500
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: car is shaking...please help!

You might want t check your motor mounts and bushings.
- VB

Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 21:06:22 -0500
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Door lights out

Most likely it is the little switch. If you wiggle and pull on it that might
help,
or maybe one of the contacts came loose.
- VB

Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 03:02:42 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Check the vacuum hose and pipe that goes to the vacuum modulater,
maybe when you lowered the car somehow you knocked something loose? I
would look for a vacuum leak somewhere. You said you worked on the
brakes, exactly what did you do? Check out the vacuum hose to the
booster, maybe it has a hole in it.

Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 22:14:58 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Adam, Maybe just a coincidence. Check plug holes for water, condensation in
distributor, bad wire or could be a bad injector.

Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 11:11:59 +0100 (BST)
From: Thomas Mc Auley <mcauleydmc_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

My car does that because its not firing on all cylinders, possibly due to clogged injectors (been sitting for a few years before I bought it). Clean your injectors out.

AdamRayVaughn_at_dml_aol.com wrote:My automatic D was running absolutely fine before I had it lowered and fixed

Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 14:02:47 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

What is your idle speed (RPMs) in D(rive)?

Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 21:46:27 -0700 (PDT)
From: Louie G <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Re: 6x8 speakers in rear

I gave those Pioneer speakers to Bill Robertson a while back for all of the help he has given me over the years. My sound system is actually pretty simple, and easily undone. A previous owner installed it, but I know it pretty well. I've got a JVC El Kameleon CD player which I feel perfectly matches the DeLorean's interior. Like the name kameleon suggests it blents in pretty well. Unlike many aftermarket stereos it doesn't jump out at you and scream for attention. It also uses the same green and oranges in it's display that are found in the DeLorean's dash lighting. When the stereo is turned off the face flips around and appears as if the faceplate has been removed. The speakers are Rockford Fosgate front and rear in stock sizes and locations, and give very crisp sound. There's an all one-piece amplified Pioneer 8" Bass tube in the rear parcel shelf. It's compact so it doesn't take up more than about 1/4 of the shelf. The cord running from the bass tube to the head unit runs under the console cover. The system won't hold a candle to many of the custom systems I've seen in DeLoreans, but it suits my needs very well. It gives very sharp treble and a pretty good kick for bass, but blends in with the car and can be reversed to stock pretty easily when the time comes. I'll upload pictures of it tomorrow to the photos section of the Yahoo DMC News site tomorrow under folder "VIN 5252."

Louie Golden
VIN 5252 Charlotte, NC

--- "Christopher Hawes" <chris_at_dml_hawes74.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
Hi Louie,

I own vin 5255 in the UK and wondering if you could tell me more about your
upgraded sound system.

Do you have any pictures?

Regards

Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 09:39:31 +0100
From: "Nigel Mills" <NMills_at_dml_paradise.co.uk>
Subject: RE: Funky Doors

A pleasure to be there with such a decent bunch of people :-)

Mr Surrogate !

Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 23:34:59 -0400
From: motarhedd_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: New Owner: 1st Impressions

Just took the car out yesterday for a tour of my friends houses. I did manage to remove the Aircraft harnesses the previous owner installed and replaced it with a lap belt i got from the local parts store, a temporary fix.

Driving the Delorean was very familiar, i had never driven one prior to my test drive of the car in clearwater. It has similar characteristics as far as handling to the '87 Pontiac Fiero i used to own. You can "Feel" the road. I can't say that i really much care to feel the road, especially since the roads around here arent that great. So i had figured suspension work is in order.

Acceleration im my car is dismal at best. From a stop i can floor the pedal and it feels like i could push the car faster from a stop. Thanks again to the previous owner for the removal of the Catalytic converter and muffler in favor of a "Cherry Bomb" exhaust, which makes the car sound like a sick VW bug.  Again more work in order for the engine.

The driver's side door seems to need adjustment. Overall the interior is intact and in good condition, havent removed the seat covers yet, i suspect im in for a nasty suprise there.

More to follow...
Russell N.
vin#1790

Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 04:22:24 -0000
From: "jmt1970amc" <jmt1970amc_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Speedometer Update

Hey all, my last posting hasn't seem to have gone through, so I'm
gonna try again, sorry if you're seeing this twice.

Thanks to all those who have sent me suggestions so far. I've
checked over the whole speedo assembly and everything looks good -
dustcap, AD, lower cable, upper cable. I was spinning the wheel with
the entire assembly connected together except for the upper cable to
the actual speedometer, and it seemed to rotate freely. It did skip
a few times while turning, but that was only like twice over the
course of turning the wheel for a whole minute. And even if it was
skipping and that was what was causing the speedo needle to
oscillate, the odometer and tripometer should still be turning
right? With the dash removed, if I take the speedometer out, is
there some way that I would be able to fix it myself, or would I be
forced into just having to buy a new one?

Thanks again everyone, and keep the help coming! :)
James

Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 14:05:49 -0000
From: "falltourv" <falltour5_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Fall Foliage Tour V

The 5th Annual DeLorean Fall Foliage Tour will be October 16th & 17th
This will be the biggest and best Fall Tour ever!

If you are thinking about attending or want more information please e-
mail me at falltour5_at_dml_hotmail.com
I have set up a web page and will be adding details as fast as I can.
www.falltour.itgo.com

This event is open to everyone, but don't forget to join the Mid
Atlantic DeLorean club for special discounts and exclusive DeLorean
information and benefits.

Please go to the club web page for more information about us
http://www.deloreanmidatlantic.com/

Regards,

Michael DeLuca
President
DeLorean Mid-Atlantic Club

Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 10:51:42 -0400
From: "Marvin" <marv_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com>
Subject: need towing advice

Need some advice.

Thinking of towing my DeLorean to Florida in December. I have never towed anything before. I have a 1996 Cadillac STS (front wheel drive). At the moment, I do not have a tow package or trailer hitch on the Caddy. Can I use a dolly from U-Haul for the front wheels of the DeLorean (5 speed) to tow? Other than hooking up brake / turn signal lights to the back end of the D, any suggestions?

Marv.
# 17077
marv_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com

Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 17:14:57 -0000
From: "gullwingmagazine" <gullwingmagazine_at_dml_juno.com>
Subject: Re: California Autofest details?

Rich & group

We made the run to the California Autofest with the Yellow D and had
a great time.  The California owners (DOA, DML, etc) are a great
group of people.  Steven Wynn provided an air conditioned sky box
that overlooked the raceway that was stocked with cold drinks and
other goodies.  The group used it as a cooling off area and a social
area.  Thanks to Steven for the cool place to rest and gather with
everyone.

Friday we enjoyed an open house at DMCC put on by Don Steger and
crew.  It was great to meet everyone and see Dons facility.  My wife
even talked the body shop next to Dons place into washing and doing
some detail work on the Yellow D.

Don has some amazing custom work going on in his shop, so if your
thing is to customize your D, you may want to contact Don or Danny.

We counted about 20 Ds actually at the show... some DOA, some DML,
some etc.  There were probably more cars closer to stock than
custom.  I had the opportunity to talk with the new DOA president and
some others that help produce the DW Magazine.  Sounds like some
changes are upcoming but we'll just have to wait and see.

All in all, it was a great adventure for our family and we will be
doing an article with some nice pics in the upcoming issue of
Gullwing Magazine.

Ron
Gullwing Magazine

Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 15:47:00 -0000
From: "thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_cox.net>

Not enough room in the photos section, so check this link:

 http://www.ramblerman.com/Autofest/

Johnny
5518

Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 14:42:12 -0000
From: "thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_cox.net>

It was mostly DOA members but three of us from the Arizona club
managed to make it out there.  About 25 - 28 cars were there
including Ron's yellow baby and Dan's time machine.

We were the largest gathering of one marquee and, (with the exception
of one Lotus Elise), were the only European exotics at the show.

Honestly, there were more vendors than there were cars and all of the
other cars were domestic mods like the ZZ Top car.  Stephen and his
family were there with the prototype as well as Don's crew.

All were able to run their cars on the oval track - except me because
that really isn't my thing.  The weather was totally hot and there
were hardly any spectators.  I spoke to four people the entire
weekend about my car and one was an owner who didn't bring his.

I enjoyed meeting so many new people and taking the trip, (we even
found the location shoot at Puente Hills Mall, a.k.a. Twin Pines
Mall).  But the show, IMHO, was a waste of money.

I have plenty of photos and I will add a select few in the photos
section.

Johnny
5518

Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 12:19:24 -0400
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>
Subject: DMC ebay store update...

Hey Gang,

Just finished adding some more items to my ebay store, and I wanted to
update the list.  You can find the store at this address:

http://tinyurl.com/6dhcw

I've now organized the parts into the standard catagories, so it should
make finding things a little easier.  I like the ebay store concept,
because if you see an item you like, you can just buy it...you don't
have to wait for an auction to end.  I will be continuing to add items
to the store until I've got them all.  In the meantime, please feel free
to contact me if you have any requests for things you don't see up
there, or if you have any questions about the items that are there.

Thanks for your time,
Josh
VIN 11289 (parts)
VIN 10236 (parts)
VIN 3951 (parts)

Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 12:50:01 -0400
From: Michael Paine <mpaine_at_dml_tycomsystems.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Disecting Air/Fuel Mixture Unit

All this talk of the screw - you are missing the forest and only seeing the
tree... If you can't get the screw in or out without removing the
"teeter-totter" then how is his missing??? was is drilled out? Will he have to
tap a new set of threads?? Many questions... would it be simpler (if not wiser)
to buy a used assembly??

regards,

Michael
vin 6067

Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 13:17:52 EDT
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: New Owner: 1st Impressions

In a message dated 8/4/04 10:40:51 AM Central Daylight Time,
motarhedd_at_dml_aol.com writes:

> Acceleration im my car is dismal at best. From a stop i can floor the pedal
> and it feels like i could push the car faster from a stop. Thanks again to
> the previous owner for the removal of the Catalytic converter and muffler in
> favor of a "Cherry Bomb" exhaust, which makes the car sound like a sick VW
> bug.  Again more work in order for the engine.

Did you buy an automatic or manual?  The automatic feels much slower than a
manual, at least in my opinion.  judging by all the stupid stuff a pervious
owner put on the car, it sounds like you will be needing some quality time with
the engine controls, fuel system, ignition system, etc.  it's probably not
running right either.

Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 12:00:43 -0400
From: "Ed Garbade" <edgarbade_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: need towing advice

U-haul has rules for towing restrictions (which vehicle can tow how much).
Suggest you contact them.  For instance my Van, according to the
manufacturer, is rated to tow 5000 pounds if I use a stabilizer; however,
U-haul would not rent me a car carrier because they require 5000 pounds
capacity w/o stabilizer.  (According to the counter help I had, U-haul's
books say to count trailer as 2000 pounds and Delorean as 3000 pounds.).
I'm imagine the dolly's ratings are different but surely they can provide
guidance.

You might want to browse the archives wrt towing on a dolly.

Ed

Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 17:06:45 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Speedometer Update

If DeLo speedometer is like others of its vintage:
-Odometers are mechanical, driven by gears interfaced to the cable
(worm gear)
-Speedometer is electrical, driven by a magnet attached directly to
the cable

Was very common in the 1970's to make speedometer gears from plastic.
Are subject to break, especially if dirt or debris gets lodged in
them. Age and lack of lubrication can cause them to break their own teeth.

Anything that interferes with magnet rotation will cause the needle to
fluctuate.

I suspect your odometer gears have broken, and are now interfering with
the speedometer magnet.

Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 17:11:30 -0000
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: More ignition analysis

This post is for Phil P. who says he's following my ignition
thread. :)

Recap: My car stutters as if from mis-firing (especially when pulling
away from a dead-stop). All ignition components (plugs, wires, cap,
rotor, ballast resistor, coil, ignition ECU) have been replaced
without effect. Timing advance, both vacuum and centrifugal have been
checked to perform correctly. Timing is set correctly, and was tested
plus & minus the normal 13 degrees. The ballast resistance is
correct, the coil resistances (both primary and secondary windings)
are correct, the input voltage to the coil is correct. The coil is
Bosch. Putting the old OEM coil back in doesn't correct the problem.
All connections have been cleaned with contact cleaner and di-
electric grease has been applied. Grounds have been checked and new
stainless hardware has been applied.

After speaking to several people, taking several readings and
replacing several parts, I will now focus my tests on the pulse coil
(in the distributor):

The pulse coil generates a voltage as it spins, the faster it spins,
the higher the voltage (DeLorean tech manual). Simply put, the ECU
reads the pulses and converts this signal to a control signal which
drives the coil. The car runs somewhat better when cold, especially
in the morning. If the pulse coil is outputting a poor, weak, signal
(such as while turning slowly at idle) the ECU may output an
incorrect control signal to the coil. Garbage in=garbage out. The
pulse coil resistance should be 500 to 700-ish ohms. I will get the
engine good and hot, and if the resistance is substantially higher or
lower than this, I'll replace the pulse coil. I will also read the
output voltage from the pulse coil when cranking the engine. I have
to check what it should be.

Other owners have written me who are also having this problem. None
of us have really checked the pulse coil so we'll see what happens.

Rich A.

Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 17:32:20 -0000
From: "lakelanier20" <derek4567_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Tail-light circuit boards - soldering ok?

Hi everyone,
   I guess most people know about the "tempermental connectivity" fix
of installing the Radio Shack machine screws and nuts through the
rivets and tightening them down.  But I was wondering, is it ok to
just put a drop of solder next to each of the rivets?  (so that half
the drop touches the base of the socket, and the other half touches
the metal surface of the circuit board).  Has anyone done this?  I
would like to solder rather than put in the screws and nuts, but
thought I'd ask all the experienced folk first if there are any
problems with doing so.

Thanks,
-Derek L.

Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 14:49:57 -0400
From: "Hank" <henry_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Tail-light circuit boards - soldering ok?

> But I was wondering, is it ok to  just put a drop of solder next to each of the rivets?

 Oh yeah, that's exactly what I did INSTEAD of the RS screw/nut job, and it works very well.  I did use a larger soldering gun (rather than a pencil) to make sure the socket and the board got hot enough to make the solder flow well.  I also added some solder to the center of the bulb socket to make a better connection to the bulb itself.

-Hank

Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 18:51:23 +0100
From: "Christopher Hawes" <chris_at_dml_hawes74.freeserve.co.uk>

I did, provides lovely intense even lumination.  My also have the nut and
screw method too.

Regards

Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 12:57:09 -0500
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_mchsi.com>

Is it actually the screw that is inside that is missing, or is the external
plug that is missing?