From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2154
Date: Wednesday, August 04, 2004 10:07 PM

1. Re: California Autofest details?
From: "thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_cox.net>

2. RE: need towing advice
From: Travis Goodwin <tgoodwin_at_dml_vantagep.com>

3. Re: Vandalism to My D
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

4. RE: Tail-light circuit boards - soldering ok?
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

5. RE: need towing advice
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

6. Auto Trans Problem
From: "Ratfink65" <dennis.p.lowery_at_dml_lmco.com>

7. RE: need towing advice
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

8. Re: need towing advice
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

9. Re: need towing advice
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

10. Re: need towing advice
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

11. Re: Speedometer Update
From: kevin creason <kcreason77_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. Re: need towing advice
From: "dmcorlando2003" <SundeQuick_at_dml_aol.com>

13. Re: Tail-light circuit boards - soldering ok?
From: kevin creason <kcreason77_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. Re: Auto Trans Problem
From: "thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_cox.net>

15. Continued: Disecting Air/Fuel Mixture Unit
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

16. I finally found the right LED FESTOON BULBS!
From: "Robert Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

17. RE: need towing advice
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

18. Clean Delorean
From: "andy" <andydandy777_at_dml_aol.com>

19. Re: need towing advice
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

20. Pilot 25 and registration
From: "Tom Porter" <treehouse2000us_at_dml_yahoo.com>

21. RE: Clean Delorean
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

22. Mysteries of the CO Adjusting Screw Unravelled
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

23. Re: California Autofest details? DOA
From: "Charlie" <charles_az1_at_dml_hotmail.com>

24. Re: Re: Speedometer Update
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMUK <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

25. Re: Re: car is shaking...please help!
From: AdamRayVaughn_at_dml_aol.com

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 18:13:55 -0000
From: "thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Re: California Autofest details?

Forgot to tell you, Rich, that there was at least one owner who was
asking if you were going to be there with your D-Rex.  If I remember
correctly, he was 16 or 17 years of age and very hungry for general
info on the DeLorean.

Johnny
5518

Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 15:07:53 -0400
From: Travis Goodwin <tgoodwin_at_dml_vantagep.com>
Subject: RE: need towing advice

I towed to PF using a dolly and it did fine. I didn't connect the car's
brake lights because the dolly should had lights on it. I towed it using a
Ford F150.

Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 20:09:17 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Re: Vandalism to My D

Don't waste your time worrying about it, just because you live in an
apartment complex, doesn't make you any more at risk, or even safer.
Last Thursday, someone torched 5 cars in a residential neighborhood,
in one night. Brand new trucks and sedans, along with old cars like a
busted Chevette. And some were parked in the driveway.

For piece of mind, I'd advise you to take a walk around your complex,
and start looking at what other cars are there. Allot of either new
cars, classics, or street cruisers that have been been customized AND
completed (by this, I mean if they have a body kit installed, it
should be painted to match the car) are a good sign. That can show
that you are surrounded by neighbors who have a good amount of respect
about automobiles. And chances are, they're probably just as concerned
about someone messing with their car, as you are yours.

That, and stay friendly with your neighbors, and make yourself known.
If someone puts a positive image of you with your personal property,
then they tend to imgine themselves damaging you, rather than a
faceless, inanimate object.

Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 15:17:51 -0500
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Tail-light circuit boards - soldering ok?

Unless you are reall good at soldering, knowing how hot to be so that you
don't burn the copper right off the board, you might want to send them to
John Hervey to fix.
He is pretty cheap compared to buying new ones.
You can get PJ Grady's boards for a little over $100 too.
- VB

Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 15:11:35 -0500
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

PUT IT ON A FLATBED.

If it is an AUTO, you can't tow it forward, and you really shouldnt anyway.
You don't want to tow it backwards because it will usually ruin the angle
drive
and you could scrape the front spoiler a few times.

Put it on a trailer.
- VB

Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 19:45:16 -0000
From: "Ratfink65" <dennis.p.lowery_at_dml_lmco.com>
Subject: Auto Trans Problem

Hey Group!

During hard acceleration my cars auto trans seems to "slip then
catch" multiple times until some momemtum is built up, then it seems
to operate fine.  I have checked the fluid level and it is fine.

Some of these "slip then catch" cycles are somewhat harsh, making the
car jerk rather hard.

Any help would be appreciated!

Dennis Lowery

Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 15:48:58 -0500
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Not to mention that if you tow it backwards you can probably say "goodbye"
to your louvers and "hello" to the insurance company of the guy in the car
behind you after they smash through his windshield!  ;)

Also I have been advised not to rely on the flimsy "tow hooks" welded to the
front frame. Best to use straps over the tires and or around control arms.

-Joe

Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 20:57:51 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

U-haul is pretty flaky now adays about renting out any equipment, and
thier people are just as bad. I rented a trailer from them in
December, and the guy who hooked my trailer up wraped the safety
chains around the toungue to pick up the slack in them. And then
hooked them to the small tow hooks, rather than the reinforced steel
bar meant for the chains. Went back a month and a half later to rent
another trailer, and they refused to lease me one. Why? I had a Ford
Explorer, and it's on their banned list of vehicles now. Plus, I
believe that here on the list, someone once mentioned the U-Haul will
ask you what kind of vechile that you're going to tow, and DeLorean is
not on their acceptable list of vehicles that their trailers can
carry.

If you're going to tow a big item such as a car, you'll need a truck.
Aside from engine power, you've got to worry about tearing up the
transmission, and tweaking a much weaker unibody chassis on a
passenger car.

Penski rents trailers out, but they only rent with their own trucks
(which if you don't already have one, this is ok). Otherwise, if
you're just looking for a tow dolly, and you plan on using it more
than once, check you local paper. I'll bet you'll find someone selling
one in decent condition for a few hundred or so. Cheaper if you need
to do any work to it, like paint it, rewire it, or repack the bearings
(simple stuff).

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Ed Garbade" <edgarbade_at_dml_h...> wrote:
> U-haul has rules for towing restrictions (which vehicle can tow how
much).
> Suggest you contact them.  For instance my Van, according to the
> manufacturer, is rated to tow 5000 pounds if I use a stabilizer;
however,
> U-haul would not rent me a car carrier because they require 5000
pounds
> capacity w/o stabilizer.  (According to the counter help I had,
U-haul's

Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 21:14:34 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

Also, if you tow it backwards, you need to remove the louvers. You can
try to tie them down some how, but in the process, you'll probably
marr the finishes of whatever the rope, or bungee cord touches.

Technicly, yes, you can tow an automatic car by it's drive wheels. You
just have to disconnect the driveshaft, or halfshafts so that it
doesn't transfer power back into the transmission. FYI for those
curious: Placing the vehicle into neutral, or "N" is not acceptable.
When the input shaft is turned on a auto trans, it also drives an
internal fluid pump to keep the clutch packs, and internals
lubricated. So if those internals are being spun, and the pump is off
(in "N", the gears are not connected, so the pump is not engaged),
then with no lubrication inside, the transmission internals are just
going to be torn up.

Flatbed is the best idea for towing. But if you can do it, just drive
the car under it's own power. It's allot more fun, and allot less
worry.

Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 21:09:24 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

Never pull drive wheels connected to an automatic transmission on the
ground (remove the drive shaft(s) first). You *WILL* destroy the
clutch discs otherwise. Manual transmissions are no problem.

Be careful towing a DeLorean backwards on anything -- wind can rip the
louvers off.

Do not dolly a car backwards -- puts too much faith in the steering
wheel lock.

Whatever you tow, be sure to criss cross the safety chains UNDER the
tongue.

Some people love tow dollys, and some people hate them. I've used them
for years no problem. Weigh next to nothing and exert very little
tongue weight. Are less prone to wiggle at highway speeds.

Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 14:02:13 -0700 (PDT)
From: kevin creason <kcreason77_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Speedometer Update

Mine did something similar once. It turned out to be
that when I reconnected one of the cables to the
lambda box, the actual cable didn't quite go into its
female counterpart right... no wonder it didn't thread
all the way down.
An easy fix... not sure it's your situation though.

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 21:20:45 -0000
From: "dmcorlando2003" <SundeQuick_at_dml_aol.com>

You can't tow a Delorean with a Seville STS or SLS.  The maximum
towing capacity (per Cadillac) is only 2,000 pounds.  The Delorean
itself weighs almost 3,000 pounds without a trailer of any sort.

Michael
VIN#02944

Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 13:53:07 -0700 (PDT)
From: kevin creason <kcreason77_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I messed with that.

I had less than stellar results, and it wasn't for
lack of getting it hot. Maybe got it too hot.

My advice-- a light hammer and a punch. Hit those
rivets and give them a tighter connection. Or the
screw and nut method. That is secure, won't wiggle
loose again if you use locktite, and would probably be
less than $2 in parts.

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 20:55:19 -0000
From: "thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Re: Auto Trans Problem

Slipping like that is BAD.  Sounds like the plates are going south on
you.  I hate to say it, but if you don't stop driving it AND get it
looked at soon, you're headed for a rebuild.  $$$$

Johnny
5518

Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 20:52:44 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Continued: Disecting Air/Fuel Mixture Unit

I'm just doing this for the curiosity. Apparently there are no
exploded diagrams of an air/fuel mixture unit itself. Faced with a
choice between working on 1001 unfinished projects at the house or
disassembling a car part, I chose the path of least resistance
(reassembling it will be project number 1002).

My efforts are not for naught -- was contacted off List by someone
interested in attaching a sensor to his teeter totter shaft.
Unfortunately the "ball bearings" are in the way (are true ball
bearings -- two giant stainless steel balls). Might work if they were
replaced with something with a hole bored through it.

Jeff is of course welcome to buy all or part of this unit used from me.

Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 21:29:04 -0000
From: "Robert Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: I finally found the right LED FESTOON BULBS!

As the un-official DeLorean LED guy, people are always asking me
for LED Festoon bulbs.
("Festoon" are the long skinny bulbs that go in your dome light,
trunk, etc.)
The problem has always been that you could not get enough LED's
crammed in the little tube to equal the light output of a regular
incadesent bulb that you can get 2-for-$1 at Wal-Mart!

Well, for those of you car-show'ers that want to be able to leave your
doors, hood and trunk open for DAYS at a time and leave all the little
lights on I finally have your solution.

The bad news first.
They are $10.00 each.

The good news is that with the nre mini-hyper-bright LED technology
they have figured out how to crap 9, yes NINE little LED's into the
tube for the maximum amount of light you can get out of one of these.
This is going to be the most simple PLUG-N-PLAY solution out there
for the money unless you do your own custom lighting.
Each of the little hyper-white bulbs are about $1 each in the first
place, so 9 of them in a tube is not that bad.
They don't get hot, they don't use any measurable battery power and
they are clear white, and not yellow.

If you WANT colors, I can get them by special order.
I can get: RED, AMBER, BLUE, GREEN and UV-BLACKLIGHT.
No extra cost, but there is an extra week delay.
(The BLUE or RED might look cool in a Time-Machine!)

I will have these posted on the website soon with photos.
They will simply be $10.00 each.

I will also be offering the SIDE MARKER kits too, since they are in
such high demand. Even though I don't care for them, people keep
asking for them so I will offer them for a good price.

Also, my new INSTRUMENT CLUSTER LED KIT is comeing along nicely.
I installed some on EJ Chambers car and they look fantastic!
The light pattern is very natural and bright and there is NO
hot spot in the middle. They have a crisp on and off action
and complement his INDIGLO kit well.

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.
- Videobob
VIN#5278
http://www.dfwdmc.com

Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 16:35:47 -0500
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Oh yeah, I almost forgot that!
When I had to tow my DeLorean down to Houston from Fort Worth,
I rented a car dolly from U-Haul.
Everyone told me that I shouldn't tow it forward because it would destroy
the auto-trans
even in neutral.
So I planned to tow it backwards.
It reall didn't fit right on the dolly.
I used a ZIP-TIE to tie down the louvers to the latch of the deck lid.
This worked well.
However, towing it backwards ruined my angle drive and the speedo cables.
They are wound and braided to move in one direction, going the wrong way
ruined them.
In my case the entire front of the car was removed for repairs, the hood,
fenders, fascia
and lower spoiler were all gone.

Take a look:
http://dfwdmc.com/wreck.html

If the front end had been there it would have definatly bottomed out a few
times.
Not to mention I overheated the transmission in my Taurus trying to tow the
damn thing.
I will NEVER do that again.
Next time I will rent a truck and flatbed trailer.

- Videobob
VIN#5278

PS- Yes, the car is all put back together now and looks great!

Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 22:44:44 -0000
From: "andy" <andydandy777_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Clean Delorean

We are all always looking for new and better products for our cars,
today I found a Stainless steel cleaner that is great. The name of
it is Cameo aluminum and stainless cleaner, I got it at a local
supermarket (in B'ham, Al.) I have had this car since 1981 and I
have cleaned it with everthing under the sun, and this is the best
cleaner I have ever used and it is under $2, give it a shot you will
like what you see.
Andy blackmon 03513

Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 16:38:12 -0500
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

...oh yeah, NEVER tell them that you are hauling a "DeLorean" or any other
sports car.
They will either not rent to you or ask for more insurance.
Tell them it's a 92 Ford Taurus or something like that.
Don't ask, don't tell.
- VB

Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 23:59:58 -0000
From: "Tom Porter" <treehouse2000us_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Pilot 25 and registration

I'm just now catching up on 4 or 5 days of postings, but I do have a
question.  Someone asked if it was difficult to register the car due
to the vin, or lack of it.  I gotta ask the owner... on pilot #20,
there is a full vin #...  on this #25, all it says is Pilot 25,
according to the pictures.  Is this just the cool vin plate, or does
the other location have the full SCD... vin?  I wouldnt imagine its
possible to registure a car with vin PILOT 25.

Tom Porter
Maine

Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 19:42:03 -0500
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Clean Delorean

Who is the manufacturer and what does it look like?

Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 00:09:58 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Mysteries of the CO Adjusting Screw Unravelled

I am now the proud owner of a totally disassembled fuel/air mixture
unit. If history is any guide, the poor thing will never get
reassembled...

First & foremost: unless someone has disassembled Jeff's fuel/air
mixture unit, I can guarantee his CO adjusting screw is still in
there. May be stripped, but it is physically impossible to remove
without taking the teeter totter apart.

Calling it a "screw" is something of a misnomer. It's a brass fitting.
Does have threads (extremely fine 8mm -- much finer than 8x1mm), but
that's where the similarity ends. Has a big washer head that grabs a
piece of spring steel (this is what you tug on when adjusting). Teeter
totter itself is 2 pieces -- one pushes up on the metering piston, the
other holds the air sensor plate. Spring steel and CO screw form the
junction (plus the pivot shaft, which passes through everything,
including the housing).

The reason Martin can't remove them is because in one direction the
big washer head runs into the air sensor portion of the teeter totter,
in the other it bottoms out on the metering piston portion. Once you
separate the two it can be removed with your fingers.

I'll try to get someone with a digital camera to document my labors
tomorrow. Otherwise I'll shoot it 35mm and get the pics converted to
disc this weekend.

*NOW* you know why I prefer carburetors...

Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 00:53:16 -0000
From: "Charlie" <charles_az1_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: California Autofest details? DOA

Hi, Rich..

 The DOA members that I have met, are really nice, and for me not
having a DeLorean all the members I have met have never given me
flack or didn't act snobby for me not having one (allot of people
do). On my many visits including this one, they always make me feel
welcome.

CG

Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 02:06:25 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMUK <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Re: Speedometer Update

Electrical? Not on the DeLorean. It's a purely mechanical interface -
the magnet spins inside a sort of "cage" which is spring-loaded. The
faster the magnet spins, the more the cage gets pulled around.

Unless I'm missing something...

Martin (had two apart at the weekend).

Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 21:21:16 EDT
From: AdamRayVaughn_at_dml_aol.com