From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2156
Date: Thursday, August 05, 2004 2:30 PM

1. Re: Speedometer Update
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

2. Re: need towing advice
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

3. LED Festoon Bulbs
From: "Mike" <mquinto_at_dml_comcast.net>

4. Re: >snip< LED FESTOON BULBS!
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. Re: I NEED HELP! (fwd)
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>

6. Re: I NEED HELP! (fwd)
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. Re: I NEED HELP! (fwd)
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

8. RE: Clean Delorean
From: "D F" <funkstuf_at_dml_hotmail.com>

9. Re: Auto Trans Problem
From: "Ratfink65" <dennis.p.lowery_at_dml_lmco.com>

10. Re: Pilot 25 and registration
From: "alistairmccann" <alistairmccann_at_dml_yahoo.com>

11. Delorean Mid-Atlantic Club Fall Tour 2005 Official Details!
From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>

12. Re: Tail-light circuit boards - How about riviting?
From: "Jeff Phillips" <jeff.phillips_at_dml_keesler.af.mil>

13. Parts
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. RE: Re: Tail-light circuit boards - soldering ok?
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

15. Re: car is shaking...please help!
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

16. Re: Mysteries of the CO Adjusting Screw Unraveled
From: Phillips Jeff Capt 333 TRS/UMAF <jeff.phillips_at_dml_keesler.af.mil>

17. Re: Re: I NEED HELP! (fwd)
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

18. Re: Re: Auto Trans Problem
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>

19. Re: Verifying Missing CO Adjustment Screw
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

20. Re:need towing advice
From: "Marvin" <marv_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com>

21. Re:need towing advice -- Why Not Drive It?
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

22. Is John Hervey - Special T Auto Rippin' Me Off?
From: "Chris" <christophermcginness_at_dml_yahoo.com>

23. Re: Auto Trans Problem
From: "thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_cox.net>

24. Re: Is John Hervey - Special T Auto Rippin' Me Off?
From: "austinbrumley" <austinbrumley_at_dml_delorean.com>

25. Re: Is John Hervey - Special T Auto Rippin' Me Off?
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 03:43:09 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Speedometer Update

Oh for goodness sakes, you know what I mean -- there's no direct
linkage between the cable and the speedometer needle like there is
between the cable and the odometer numbers. I call the properties of a
magnet "electrical". Whatever the proper term, the cable is not
physically connected to the speedometer. That's what allows it to
bounce and flutter (don't see the odometer behaving like that).

Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 03:15:04 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: need towing advice

The only way to tow an automatic on a dolly is to remove the 2
half-shafts. The real problem with dolly towing is INSURANCE!!!!!
The tow vehicle (the dolly) will be covered by the tow vehicle but
there will be NO INSURANCE on the car. If ANYTHNG  should happen like
the car comming loose and hitting something you had better have
insurance (liability) on the car! If it is trailered (flat-beded) this
is an non-issue. If anyone should hit your dolly-towed car and you
don't catch them or they don't have insurance you are
sh-t-out-of-luck. In many States a dolly-towed vehicle MUST be plated
AND insured. Lights are another whole issue and it varies State by
State. In short if you are thinking of dolly-towing you should find
out all you can about insurance and the regulations in the States you
will be towing in. For instance some States require a license plate on
the Dolly! If you rent a tow dolly NEVER tell them that the car you
are going to tow doesn't have plates, they won't rent it to you then.
Be aware that many tow dollys are too narrow to actually get a
Delorean on. You must get an extra wide one or it won't fit! You still
have to watch out for sharp dips, driveways, and potholes. Be real
careful on tight turns too!

Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 04:19:53 -0000
From: "Mike" <mquinto_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: LED Festoon Bulbs

Hello List,
  These guys seem to carry these new 9 LED Festoon bulbs.
They come in White, Blue, Green, Red, Amber and UV (BlackLight)LED's
Price for different colors vary.
Red   $ 2.49
Amber $ 2.49
White $ 4.49
Blue  $ 3.49
Green $ 4.49
UV    $ 4.99

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?
product=CAR&keywords=&cart_id=6967105.9682&next=50

Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 06:14:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: >snip< LED FESTOON BULBS!

$10 ?
That sounds like a jewler's mark up ;-)

-Or-
Eliminate the middle man and go here http://www.superbrightleds.com to purchase
your LED cravings! "4410 LED Festoon bulbs" with 9 LEDs crammed in there only
$2.49 each (Red or Amber) . But wait... THAT'S NOT ALL! For only and additional
$1.00 you can get Blue, for only $2.00 more you can get Green or White, or for
$2.50 more a retro UV Blacklight (oooo ahhhh).

If 9 of those little bulbs are too much for you they also offer 2, 4 and 6 LEDS
in the Festoon Base Bulb for even LESS cash!

Don't forget about those door lights (194 LEDS), they've got them too! Only $1.59
ea (Red & Amber).

Shannon Y
16506

----------------
----------------

Message: 16
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 21:29:04 -0000
From: "Robert Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: I finally found the right LED FESTOON BULBS!

As the un-official DeLorean LED guy, people are always asking me
for LED Festoon bulbs.
("Festoon" are the long skinny bulbs that go in your dome light,
trunk, etc.)
The problem has always been that you could not get enough LED's
crammed in the little tube to equal the light output of a regular
incadesent bulb that you can get 2-for-$1 at Wal-Mart!

Well, for those of you car-show'ers that want to be able to leave your
doors, hood and trunk open for DAYS at a time and leave all the little
lights on I finally have your solution.

The bad news first.
They are $10.00 each.

Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 21:22:25 -0700 (PDT)
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: I NEED HELP! (fwd)

Call Eleanor Rogers, owns Island Turbo, and ask her to recommend someone. You need a mechanic that is familiar with this setup. It sounds like, for starters, your distributor was not re-curved properly. That's just a shot in the dark based on your post.

From: kkurth2675_at_dml_comcast.net
To: moderators_at_dml_dmcnews.com
Subject: I NEED HELP!
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 20:36:36 +0000

Hello to all you delorean enthusiasts out there, this e-mail may be a little long or long winded due to my nature and love for this car...but here it goes. I own an '82 DeLorean and have owned it now for four years. Unfortunately, ever since I've owned it, it has given me some issues like most of you out there probably can relate to. To make a long story shorter, I've put over $10,000 of factory/aftermarket parts onto the car since I've bought it. Even now, the car still needs some more TLC. I have a cold start valve problem which means the cold start valve has to be plugged in when it's cold--if it's left in when the engine is warm and not turned on the car floods itself out, engine pan oil seal was replaced and it still leaks, the oil pressure needle bounces all over the place most of the time when going down the highway, I also have the Island twin-turbo system on the car when I bought it, there's a lot of popping at higher rpm's--it's done this forever since I've owned the car.

Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 08:59:09 -0000
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Dave Bauerle (formerly in Radnor, Ohio) is excellent at working with
turbos and ALL various repair acts to the Delorean. He recently
moved his shop to Deleware, Ohio. Give him a call at 740-595-3348.

Ask to set up a time to drop the car off or ship it there. You'll be
happy with it once you get it back.

I always recommend Dave Bauerle for service on Deloreans, especially
since he is only 60 miles from me. :)

Best of luck,

Joe O'Brien

2524 & 16634

Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 14:25:10 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Yu certainly do have a lot of issues with the car! Instead of going
through them one by one maybe the best course of action would be to
send it to one of the Delorean venders, they have the experience to be
able to fix MOST of these problems right the first time. Money does
not seem to be the issue so maybe you should have them look it over.
The problem is the Island Turbo set-up. Even the Delorean venders will
have to experiment to get it to run right, no one has all that much
experience with it and each installation is a little different. As far
as some of the more minor probelms:
Troubleshoot the cold-start system, replace the oil pressure senders
(both of them) do a valve adjustment, timing is certainly an issue but
leave it to an expert, with the turbos it is not so simple. For the
BTTF and Delorean stuff it is probably a better stratagy to sell it
spearately from the car, it would just increase the price and there is
less likelhood of finding a person willing to pay a lot of money for
all of that at once. Go to bttf.com and see what you can do with the
bttf stuff. E-bay is always a way to go! Another thing you could try
is an ad in Hemmings Motor News. It seems to me that with all the
money you spent on the car and the hobby it would be a shame to give
it all up. You may not be all that far away from having it all fixed
up. Call  one of the venders and discuss your problems with them and
arrange for them to work on it. It is also possible they could talk a
local shop through some of the work so maybe you wouldn't even have to
send them the car. Most of the venders can recomend local shops that
they have worked with over the years so try that.

Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 06:24:59 +0000
From: "D F" <funkstuf_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Clean Delorean

Hi there.
I've used this cameo too and it is very nice.  I have something else of
interest that I have found interesting.  It seems like no matter what one
dries the delorean with, it still looks uneven.
I found a special towel that works perfect for wiping the stainless still
and also cleaning the windows without using any cleaner.  You only use warm
water, it leaves no spots and it is perfect to quickly wipe of finger prints
around the doors.  This friend sold me this towel and I kind of bought it as
a favor but then was AMAZED.  Anyway, the towel is called "The Blue Wonder".
  It is a towel made of a polyester-nylon blend and looks like some simple
hand towel.  It doesn't work like one.  It costs about $25.00.. I'm not sure
where to get them but I know that if you search on line you can probably
find some place nearby..
This is something that I wanted to pass on because it's the only thing that
I've ever used that made my car all look perfectly even with no streaks or
anything when it was dry.  That includes cleaning the windows.

You need to first use a regular towel to wipe of the heavy stuff, then use
this one with warm water and wipe over everything.  Sounds like a
testimonial, but, I'm not selling it or anything.
Dale Funk

Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 13:13:36 -0000
From: "Ratfink65" <dennis.p.lowery_at_dml_lmco.com>
Subject: Re: Auto Trans Problem

I'll do the filter and fluid checks today, but I'm not familiar with
the line pressure check or the light box.  Could you explain
further?  Can I remove the shift computer and send it somwhere to
have it diagnosed?

Thanks for your help so far!

Dennis Lowery

Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 12:35:39 -0000
From: "alistairmccann" <alistairmccann_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Pilot 25 and registration

Hi there

All I have is the plate on the dash that says Pilot25, there are no
other numbers or tags anywhere on the car.

Alistair.

Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 09:10:51 -0400
From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>
Subject: Delorean Mid-Atlantic Club Fall Tour 2005 Official Details!

Hi everyone!   The Delorean Mid-Atlantic club is proud once again to
host the 5th annual Fall Tour.

This event is always a ton of fun for everyone who attends and this year
we are looking to make it our largest event ever.  We are also extending
the invitation to our Friends in the Bricklin and Lotus community to
come out and join in the fun!!!!  (Please feel free to forward this on
to anyone who owns these cars)

Our club website now contains most of the official details (still
changing, so check often for updates)
http://www.deloreanmidatlantic.com/updates/updates.htm

For those of you who missed the past fall tours, you can see
write-ups/pictures here:
2003 Tour:
http://www.deloreanmidatlantic.com/scrapbook/falltour4/index.htm
2002 Tour:
http://www.deloreanmidatlantic.com/scrapbook/falltour3/index.htm

Hope to see you all there!!!!!!  :)

Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 14:14:10 -0000
From: "Jeff Phillips" <jeff.phillips_at_dml_keesler.af.mil>
Subject: Re: Tail-light circuit boards - How about riviting?

All of this talk about soldering the boards why hasn't anyone
suggested simply re-riviting the boards?  I've had good luck on the
one light that I had to do and plan on drilling off the heads of the
rest of the rivets, removing the hardware, cleaning the board of
oxidation and then re-riveting the whole thing back together.  No
smashing with hammers, torquing screws, or overheating the boards.
Of course I realize that I'm not using copper rivets to reattach and
therefore may cause some bi-metallic corrosion in the long run, but
with a good solid clearcoat I don't think I'll be around long enough
to have to refix it!  :)

Jeff

Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 07:26:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Parts

This is an unsolicited testimonial for John Hervy who has Special T Auto.Com. I needed some parts to get my car running. Ordered them on Monday and had them in hand Wednesday. I neglected to order hoses to replace the original ones leaving the fuel pump so I called him. He gave me the specs for the hoses so I could purchase them locally. Fine service!
Thank You.

Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 09:19:32 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Tail-light circuit boards - soldering ok?

David, I respectfully disagree, The secret on how to solder the board
connections is in the cleaning the connections and the correct Flux. I have
done at least 50 boards with no problems and the bulbs glow like new again.
I also clean the boards and seal them against the weather with clear
coating. Here is a look at the work.
John Hervey
 http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/images/tail-light-boards.jpg

Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 14:28:07 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: car is shaking...please help!

Something is definatly wrong if your idle speed in Drive is 1100. It
should be around 775-800. Make sure the throttle cable and linkage is
not sticking and there is no looseness in it like at the quadrant
link. Make sure the idle switch is being set at idle.

Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 09:29:06 -0500
From: Phillips Jeff Capt 333 TRS/UMAF <jeff.phillips_at_dml_keesler.af.mil>
Subject: Re: Mysteries of the CO Adjusting Screw Unraveled

Bill I had faith in you that you couldn't just *partially*
disassemble a fuel/air mix unit!  ;)   Ok so it seems it is time to
take mine apart and see what I can find in there.  Now that I know
this is not a screw that I can simply walk into Home Depot and
replace combined with me going out of town for a week and not needing
my car for transport I have the opportunity to take her out of
service.  I'll let you all know what I find and Bill I may be buying
project #1002 from you! Right now my car runs excessively rich, to
the point where your eyes burn from the fumes and the gas mileage is
well below 19MPG, perhaps at or below 10MPG.  She is getting much
closer though.  Turns out my idle micro screw wasn't being triggered
by the screws due to their not being tight and backing themselves
out.  All is good in the world of vacuum advance now.

Jeff

Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 08:09:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: I NEED HELP! (fwd)

I must take issue a bit with David's response.

I agree that the problem described is probably related
to the current condition of the turbo set-up, but NOT
with the twin turbo kit itself.

There are some vendors who don't want to mess with it
for obvious reasons - - they offer soemthing else.
BUT, the DeLorean Motor Center has installed MANY of
these with no problems whatsoever.  Dave B. in Ohio is
also very familiar with these units.  And, finally,
Rob Grady has also installed a number of these units.

As to each installation being a bit different, I
really doubt that.  I suspect that most differences
have arisen from owners and mechanics playing with the
units after they were installed.

The turbo's don't cause the problmes described.  The
tuning of the engine and the condition of the
electrical engine components do.

Dick Ryan
VIN 16867

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 08:24:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Auto Trans Problem

I had an automatic years ago. The "computer" is located in the transmission as I remember. Well......the housing anyway. It has contacts, look like points in an ignition, that open and close and operate on VERY low voltage. I took the cover off and cleaned these contacts. It worked perfectly after I did this. As I remember, you have to cut through quite a bit of silicon seal to get the cover off. After you get the contacts clean blow it out with canned air. Make sure to seal it when you put it back. As I said, this was years ago so all the usual disclaimers apply! If I could do it, you can.

Ratfink65 <dennis.p.lowery_at_dml_lmco.com> wrote:I'll do the filter and fluid checks today, but I'm not familiar with
the line pressure check or the light box. Could you explain
further? Can I remove the shift computer and send it somwhere to
have it diagnosed?

Thanks for your help so far!

Dennis Lowery

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "David Teitelbaum"

Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 15:32:50 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Verifying Missing CO Adjustment Screw

Simply open the housing and examine your teeter totter from below.
You'll see the two pieces with the shaft passing through them (air
sensor portion is to the outside, fuel piston portion is inside). If
they move independently of each other on the shaft, your CO screw is
mising. If they don't, it's there -- CO screw is what keeps them
moving together.

If your screw is indeed missing, can't figure how engine is able to
meter fuel well enough to even run.

More likely scenerio is its hex head is stripped, preventing you from
turning it.

Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 11:25:25 -0400
From: "Marvin" <marv_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com>

  Many thanks for all the advice from experienced, smart, D list people.

  The Cadillac dealership says the '96 Caddy STS can tow 3000 lbs. U-Haul
says no to renting me a dolly or flatbed trailer. I was quoted $409.00 to
install a hitch and wiring. Then add the cost of a dolly or trailer ---- it
may be cheaper to buy a car down there in Florida, then sell it after the
season is over! (LOL)

  I did get a quote from a car transport company of $655.00, which looked
good. However, they are quoting me from someplace in West Virginia to
Florida. The quote must been from a kid that cannot read english. I clearly
stated the departure point was in London, Ontario, Canada. Maybe he thinks
that's a city in West Virginia!

  Marv.
  # 17077
  marv_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com

Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 15:44:38 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re:need towing advice -- Why Not Drive It?

Why are you towing a DeLorean to Florida "for the season?" If the car
is returning to Canada after the season, doesn't it make more sense to
drive it?

Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 15:50:31 -0000
From: "Chris" <christophermcginness_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Is John Hervey - Special T Auto Rippin' Me Off?

Hey all -

Any suggestions what to do here?  Bought a rebuilt part from John
Hervey at Special T Auto down in Texas  a month and some ago.

Well, got the part and was charged the standard $250 core charge. Next
day put my core in a box and shipped it USPS Express Mail back down to
John Hervey. That was July 2nd. Emailed John on July 10 to make sure
he got it. Heard nothin. Emailed the guy on July 14. Heard nothin.
Called twice and emailed on July 21. Finally the guy sends me an email
askin me for the part number. I emailed him the number and the total
price he charged me. Hear nothin. I call and email him July 28. He
calls sayin he can't find my card number to credit me. I call twice on
July 29 to give him the card real slow.

Last night, Aug 4 I email him to find out if he's credited me. This am
Aug 5 he shoots me an email asking me to fax him a copy of the invoice
cuz he can't find it and wants to know how much I was charged.

Now - the dude has MY core AND My $250 smackers - I've called him
repeatedly and emailed him tons and NOW I'm supposed to fax him a copy
of an invoice he generated for ME. I'd already given him the total
amount and the number of the part (which he would have anyway cuz it's
engraved in my old one). It's been OVER a month!

Any recomendations? Anbody else have this issue?

Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 17:13:10 -0000
From: "thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_cox.net>

The light box is a tool you can build that idicates when the car
shifts and what gear it's in.  Basically, it's just a couple of
lights that go on and off.  I built one from an article in Gullwing
Magazine and it works great.

The ends of the govenernor are attached to the tranny and the
circuits are in the engine compartment in a black box attached to the
rear firewall under the ignition resitors.  You can remove the
computer and have any of the vendors check it out for you.

Johnny
5518

Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 18:10:33 -0000
From: "austinbrumley" <austinbrumley_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Re: Is John Hervey - Special T Auto Rippin' Me Off?

Chris,

        I think i speak for most of us on this list that John is one
of the best vendors available! I know he has been extremely busy
lately  "ie: my stupid car" so pehaps there is a mixup. Try to have a
little patience i'm sure he will correct the issue.

                                            Austin
                                            Money pit #16182

Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 11:41:00 -0700 (PDT)
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I sure can't speak for your experience, but I have had
nothing but totally acceptable dealings with John.

Dick Ryan

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail