From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2157
Date: Thursday, August 05, 2004 10:10 PM

1. Re: Is John Hervey - Special T Auto Rippin' Me Off?
From: "Payne" <bpayne_at_dml_macnet.com>

2. Re: Is John Hervey - Special T Auto Rippin' Me Off?
From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>

3. Re: Is John Hervey - Special T Auto Rippin' Me Off?
From: "spaceboy_2912" <seanmm_at_dml_alltel.net>

4. Re: Pilot 25 and registration
From: "Rustproof" <Rustproof_at_dml_comcast.net>

5. Re: Pilot 25 and registration
From: "delowalk" <delowalk_at_dml_yahoo.com>

6. Re: Tail-light circuit boards - soldering ok?
From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>

7. Re: Is John Hervey - Special T Auto Rippin' Me Off?
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. RE: Re: Is John Hervey - Special T Auto Rippin' Me Off?
From: Travis Goodwin <tgoodwin_at_dml_vantagep.com>

9. Re: Is John Hervey - Special T Auto Rippin' Me Off?
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>

10. Re: Is John Hervey - Special T Auto Rippin' Me Off?
From: "Alex" <alex_at_dml_deloreanowners.com>

11. Re: Is John Hervey - Special T Auto Rippin' Me Off?
From: "dmcorlando2003" <SundeQuick_at_dml_aol.com>

12. Re: Is John Hervey - Special T Auto Rippin' Me Off?
From: "Chris" <christophermcginness_at_dml_yahoo.com>

13. Re: I NEED HELP! (fwd)
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

14. Re: I NEED HELP! (fwd)
From: "Ed Garbade" <edgarbade_at_dml_hotmail.com>

15. Re: need towing advice
From: "Marvin" <marv_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com>

16. Re:need towing advice
From: "dmcorlando2003" <SundeQuick_at_dml_aol.com>

17. Re: Re: >snip< LED FESTOON BULBS!(A/C)
From: John Podlewski <john_podlewski_at_dml_yahoo.com>

18. Re: Tail-light circuit boards - soldering ok?
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

19. Re: Is John Hervey - Special T Auto Rippin' Me Off?
From: ramilton <82delorean_at_dml_earthlink.net>

20. Re: Re: Is John Hervey - Special T Auto Rippin' Me Off?
From: "Rustproof" <Rustproof_at_dml_comcast.net>

21. Re: Tail-light circuit boards - thanks for the responses
From: "lakelanier20" <derek4567_at_dml_hotmail.com>

22. RE: Re: need towing advice
From: "Ed Garbade" <edgarbade_at_dml_hotmail.com>

23. Turbos - bad wrap. What's UP!!
From: "bluemax86" <massimot_at_dml_rushmore.com>

24. Clear Cooling Hoses
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

25. DeLorean REPRODUCTION Side-Stripe Kits
From: "Robert Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 11:51:47 -0700
From: "Payne" <bpayne_at_dml_macnet.com>
Subject: Re: Is John Hervey - Special T Auto Rippin' Me Off?

I've dealt with him several times and never had a problem. He's actually
been very good at shipping my parts immediately and every time I've called
him for help he's been more than willing to chat about the car for a while.
He's even gone out of his way to call me simply to answer questions.

Do you have all your old credit card statements and copies to send him? He's
a reasonable guy and from everyone I've talked to he has an extremely good
reputation for customer service. Don't give up yet, I don't believe he's
ripped you off. He's just one man dealing with a lot of customers so it may
take him a little longer to respond. He has a business that is growing and
the last thing he wants to do is drive people away by being dishonest.

Brandon Payne

---

Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 18:39:20 -0000
From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>

Chris,

Sounds like a misunderstanding, or perhaps John has been busy or
otherwise lost some paperwork. He is an honest businessman and is not
trying to take your money. Keep on top of this - I would call him
daily until he sorts it out. John is a good person - you will get your
money back.

-Ryan

Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 18:56:11 -0000
From: "spaceboy_2912" <seanmm_at_dml_alltel.net>

Chris,
To John's defense he is running a VERY busy one man show. I spoke
with john about a month ago about a similar situation and the man was
still recovering from DCS '04 but did handle my core refund. Ive
known John and bought parts from him for a few years and can tell you
he is an honest straight shooting guy who is not out to rip you off.
i will admit email is most likley the toughest way to get a reply
from him due to the amount he gets. again John is an honest guy who
is very busy and I wouldnt think twice about ziping him a copy of
your invoice.

Sean Mullins

Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 13:54:06 -0400
From: "Rustproof" <Rustproof_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Pilot 25 and registration

I don't know what they do elsewhere but in Massachsetts they (The DMV) will
assign you a new VIN provided you can prove ownership and place of
origin/debarkation. You also have to go through a physical compliance
inspection. I did this two years ago with a prototype electric Geo Tracker
that had no vin at all except "PROTO 2" Took about six months and they put
me through hell.
Rustproof
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 19:17:37 -0000
From: "delowalk" <delowalk_at_dml_yahoo.com>

have you checked under the engine around the frame?  Sometimes you
can find ID plates there.

-Jack

Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 18:46:50 -0000
From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>
Subject: Re: Tail-light circuit boards - soldering ok?

Respectfully, I think you're making this "problem" bigger than it
really is. I'm not great at soldering, and I never paid any attention
to the types of metal vs. solder vs. heat, etc. I just took a nice hot
soldering iron (with an old, flattened tip), cleaned the boards a bit,
slapped some solder on there and then smoothed the "globs" of solder
down so the boards would fit back into their housings.

It worked perfectly. Yeah, there were a couple of times when the
solder didn't want to stick, but I just screwed around with it until
it did. My boards didn't crack or separate or "burn the copper right
off." They just worked, no problem.

I'd also submit that solder is a better fix than some little nuts &
bolts, although the nuts & bolts are likely easier for most people.

-Ryan

Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 12:37:35 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I only made one purchase from John, and had a similar
"paperwork confusion" experience.

It did take some time to sort out, but it did get
done.

John has been an active member in the DeLorean
community in recent years, and I doubt he is looking
to rip you off...  Although he may have some book
keeping issues.. :)

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 15:38:17 -0400
From: Travis Goodwin <tgoodwin_at_dml_vantagep.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Is John Hervey - Special T Auto Rippin' Me Off?

I agree. John's a good guy, just a little disorganized sometimes.

Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 12:53:24 -0700 (PDT)
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>

John is one of the best DeLorean vendors available.
No other vendor has on their website as much
literature as he does on his website.  I have
literally printed out every "tech" picture he has on
his website and made it a separate "tech advice"
binder that I keep with me.  Some vendors hold as many
secrets about the car as they can so they can make a
profit; John GIVES out information and loses a profit.
 I don't think I've heard too many other reports like
that about ANY businessman, much the less a DeLorean
vendor.
  I have spoke to him for almost 3 hours at a time
over the phone from the rise of DMC to his new
products coming out down to which colored wires go
where and mean what.  He is one of the most generous
and helpful DeLorean enthusiasts I have ever met.
Sometimes, I have been a bit slow on getting things or
money to him, and he has been very understanding with
incredible patience.  There is one other thing I
respect - he will tell you if he's stumped on
something.  I respect someone who can just tell me "I
really don't know." rather than feed me a bunch of
"Try this.." with no basis for their suggestions.  He
is one man you do not want to get off the wrong foot
with.  Just be a bit more patient - good things come
to those who are patient.

Jeremiah

http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo

Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 20:08:33 -0000
From: "Alex" <alex_at_dml_deloreanowners.com>

I have dealt with him several times. I can tell you this, I have
never dealt with a better business man. I dont know who else would
help install an alternator, at very minimal charge, in 100 degree
heat. I have ordered several things, all shipped the very next day.
If anything, he is undercharging for his parts. I will 100%
guarantee that it is a simple overlooked mistake, and that it gets
corrected very soon!

Alex

Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 22:07:29 -0000
From: "dmcorlando2003" <SundeQuick_at_dml_aol.com>

I'll put in my 2 cents on this one as well....

I had an issue with a fan fix that was faulty....we don't know if it
was my car or the fan fix.  John told me to send it back and he would
fix it and send it back.  about 2 weeks went by and nothing....I
called and he said he didn't get it, and of course I had no traking
info on it!!!  Just my luck.  He said to hold on and did some
checking.  He found it.  Guess it just got misplaced.  He said
instead of fixing it he would overnight me a brand new one.

John spent the money to over night this part instead of spending the
$3.50 for priority mail so I could get it sooner.  and he even
contact the supplier of the parts he uses to make the fan fix to see
what the possible problem could have been,.  All the while he kept me
updated on what he had found out from the supplier and even called me
back a week or so later to see how things were going with the new
part.  Thats good customer service.

Point being, he may have messed up and lost some paperwork etc. but
he will do whatever it takes to make it right with you.  He is a
great asset to the community.

Michael
VIN#02944

Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 20:53:02 -0000
From: "Chris" <christophermcginness_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Hey Marc.  Thanks for the that.  It took me a long time - over a month
of trying to get him to credit me - to say "maybe he's pullin a fast
one."  I'd talked to him a number of times before I ordered my part
and found him knowledgable, friendly, helpful - and very talkative.
That in combination with postive feedback from others who'd done biz
with him made it hard for me to believe he was shady.

All he had to do was say - hey I lost the paperwork.  He could have
done that in early July.  Or mid July.  But to wait until August to
fess up.  After I'd told him I was unemployed, still am unemployed, a
number of times and $250 was a lot money for me.  It's a bummer.

P.S. He just called and told me he credited me.  Now I can pay some
bills I'm overdue on.  Yipee.

Thanks All.

Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 20:27:02 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: I NEED HELP! (fwd)

You are correct that the variations are mostly because of the
installation. Being a kit encourages anyone to try to install it with
varying levels of success. Most venders do not work on Island Turbos
anywhere near as much as the stock set-up so even though they all may
be qualified, some have more experience than others by virtue of the #
of Island cars in their immediate area. I have not seen ANY turbo
installations properly take into account the vacuum requirements of
the auto trans. It sounds like this particular installtion was not
properly installed origionally, I have seen the Island set-up and when
it is done right it runs pretty well all things considered so the
basic engineering is sound. It is just that eventually it will cause
engine and trans problems, just ask Mark Levy.

Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 08:23:19 -0400
From: "Ed Garbade" <edgarbade_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Kris,
I'm hearing a couple stories from your post so I will summarize.

- You love the car (ie. the collection).
- It's not reliable due to existing conditions.
- You want power.

For all it is worth, have you considered all three?  I suggest you contact
Houston about their engine upgrade program.  I imagine it's not going to
perform like a Z06 but it will be good.  Also the price should be much more
agreeable and they should be able to fix everything at the same time.

If you upgrade the engine you get more power and the car is still sell-able.

If you sell you collection you'll never get near what you paid for it (maybe
not even enough to buy the Z06).

You have some things to about.

Ed
10541
Happy with 130HP (right now)

Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 16:39:35 -0400
From: "Marvin" <marv_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com>
Subject: Re: need towing advice

  It was suggested that I drive the DeLorean down to Florida.

  My wife won't drive on the highway and needs an automatic transmission car
for the several months she's there. The idea was to drive her there, leave
her the car and have the DeLorean available for the spoiled guy - me - as a
2nd vehicle for the season. However, I cannot drive 2 cars at once - hence,
the towing questions. Have you ever seen what volume of things women take
for a several months holiday?

  Ideally, I should get an 18 wheeler, load in the 2 cars, and all her
stuff. Looks like the D will sleep here, in a heated garage for the winter.

   Marv.
  # 17077
  marv_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com

Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 21:57:59 -0000
From: "dmcorlando2003" <SundeQuick_at_dml_aol.com>

cadillac.com says a new one...same bodystyle and everything can only
tow 2000 pouinds.  and even if you can tow 3000 with a '96 you
wouldn't be able to use a trailer because the Dleran wieghs 3000
pounds by itself.

...but then again, if you are coming down here to Florida you would
fit right in with the locals if you just tied a rope to the front
undercarrage of the D and then to the back of your car and just pull
it...LOL.  That way you wouldn't look like a visitor but instead a
real Florida Cracker...just kidding

>   The Cadillac dealership says the '96 Caddy STS can tow 3000 lbs.
U-Haul

Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 14:52:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: John Podlewski <john_podlewski_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: >snip< LED FESTOON BULBS!(A/C)

Anybody know what bulbs or model # to use in the A/C console 3 bulbs, from these guys?

Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com> wrote:
$10 ?
That sounds like a jewler's mark up ;-)

-Or-
Eliminate the middle man and go here http://www.superbrightleds.com to purchase
your LED cravings! "4410 LED Festoon bulbs" with 9 LEDs crammed in there only
$2.49 each (Red or Amber) . But wait... THAT'S NOT ALL! For only and additional
$1.00 you can get Blue, for only $2.00 more you can get Green or White, or for
$2.50 more a retro UV Blacklight (oooo ahhhh).

If 9 of those little bulbs are too much for you they also offer 2, 4 and 6 LEDS
in the Festoon Base Bulb for even LESS cash!

Don't forget about those door lights (194 LEDS), they've got them too! Only $1.59
ea (Red & Amber).

Shannon Y
16506

----------------
----------------

Message: 16
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 21:29:04 -0000
From: "Robert Moseley"
Subject: I finally found the right LED FESTOON BULBS!

As the un-official DeLorean LED guy, people are always asking me
for LED Festoon bulbs.
("Festoon" are the long skinny bulbs that go in your dome light,
trunk, etc.)
The problem has always been that you could not get enough LED's
crammed in the little tube to equal the light output of a regular
incadesent bulb that you can get 2-for-$1 at Wal-Mart!

Well, for those of you car-show'ers that want to be able to leave your
doors, hood and trunk open for DAYS at a time and leave all the little
lights on I finally have your solution.

The bad news first.
They are $10.00 each.

Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 20:10:28 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

I didn't say it couldn't be done, just that it is difficult to do it
properly. Solder is the preferred method but for many that can't even
solder at all the screws seem to be a good alternative. Of course if
you are doing it successfully than that is an option for those that
want to have you do it or they can go with the Zilla boards from Rob.
It comes down to some people are die-hard do-it-yourselfers that want
a method they can do at home, others will pay for services.

> David, I respectfully disagree, The secret on how to solder the board
> connections is in the cleaning the connections and the correct Flux.
I have

Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 18:51:41 -0400 (GMT-04:00)
From: ramilton <82delorean_at_dml_earthlink.net>

He has always been a great help and sends the parts normally the same day.  There is
many parts of his on my Delorean.  He is quite a person.
vin10158

Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 18:02:11 -0400
From: "Rustproof" <Rustproof_at_dml_comcast.net>

John is of the highest caliber and you won't find a more decent guy than
him. If he's having a problem with your paperwork, do as he asks. He's not
the type that will rip you off or jerk you around. I've been dealing with
John for a long time now and he's always gone the extra mile for me.
Rustproof

Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 00:43:52 -0000
From: "lakelanier20" <derek4567_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Tail-light circuit boards - thanks for the responses

Thanks for all the responses.  I tried the soldering thing, as I have
soldered many things before (mostly wires).  But I did find that it
was very difficult to get the solder to stick to the surface of the
board.  I'm no soldering expert, and had not heard the term "flux"
related to soldering before yesterday, so I'm sure as John Hervey and
others say, there is a way to do it properly, but I had no luck with
what I was doing.  As soon as the ironing tip melted the end of my
roll of solder, a brown-ish clear-ish liquid formed on the surface of
the board.  It was very difficult to get the solder to stick to it,
and even if it did, I doubted the connection was very good with the
dried layer of brown-clear liquid between the solder and the board
surface.  In the end, I did the Radio Shack screw and nut method.
(my local RS still had them).  I tightened them down as hard as I
could, and even put a small dot of 2 part epoxy on the back of the
nut to keep it from loosening in the future.  My friend and I checked
the lights a few times today, no un-lit bulbs so far.

-Derek L
VIN 5302

P.S.  When I hear the term "flux," first thing I think of is the Flux
Capacitor.  Hahaha.

Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 20:52:55 -0400
From: "Ed Garbade" <edgarbade_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Re: need towing advice

Autotrain?  I've seen it advertized befor but do not have details.

Ed

Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 23:47:09 -0000
From: "bluemax86" <massimot_at_dml_rushmore.com>
Subject: Turbos - bad wrap. What's UP!!

OK, I normally don't get involved in discussions that don't directly
deal with fixes to the car, but I just have had enough.

What is up with people having problems with the turbos on our cars.
Everytime someone mentions "turbos" the response is - "well the turbo
is the problem", or "don't put a turbo on the Delorean it can't handle
it get a stage II or III engine", or "the motor will be shot real
quick if you isntall a trubo". Even Mr. Dellis (I think that's how you
spell it), bless his soul, mentioned in is speach that "you can't just
strap a turbo on the Delorean".

Guys (girls), don't you know that there are plenty of turbo Deloreans
out there running just fine with no problems at all, they get driven
often, in some cases the engines have over 100,000 miles on them and
they are still going.

Granted they may be a little more complex than the standard engine but
it's not rocket science. So please, stop giving the "turbos" a bum
wrap, they are not bad for our cars and don't cause the problems that
people say they do. They give you way more horsepower making the car a
scream to drive.

There now I have said my peace - Amen.

Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 00:08:47 -0000
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>
Subject: Clear Cooling Hoses

I was in Lowes Home Improvement yesterday and saw this 1.25" clear
PVC braided hose.  It was pretty thick stuff, and rated for 200 PSI
at 68 degrees Fahrenheit.  While, I can't necessarily speculate as
to what the PSI rating would be at 220 degrees, might the
corresponding max pressure be at least 15 PSI?  Anyone familiar with
the stuff I'm talking about?  It would be really awesome to have
clear cooling hoses.

It looks like this:

http://plastics.newageindustries.com/nylobrd.asp

Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 02:34:24 -0000
From: "Robert Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: DeLorean REPRODUCTION Side-Stripe Kits

Hey guys, me again...
I know it seems like I have been hocking stock left and right on here,
but I have been working on so many projects and trying to come up with
solutions for things that all of you have wished for.
When ever I see something mentioned on the list that no one seems to
have an answer for I get to work on it right away.

I had been asking around for a set of the wide black side stripes
for almost a year now, and no one had any.
I did manage to pry a set out of Stegars hands for a cool $500
but he said that they were all he had left.
After I got them I was amazed at how good of shape they appeared to be
however the glue backing was not trusty enough to stick on the car.

The reason that NO ONE has bothered to re-make these in the past is
because you can not get the material any longer.
They are not just plain black, they are textured...sort of like the
grip they stick onto metal stairs... or like the vinyl tops you see on
cars.
They are bright and glossy, and have a thin 1/4" slick seam that runs
around the outside portions and on the front fender sections there
is a silver printed "DMC".

My plan was to simply make them out of regular black vinyl and sell
them that way, and there was interest.
However, I have come up with some material that is EXACTLY like the
original. EXACT same color, gloss, thickness....etc.
The main difference is that it will not have the thin slick seam
around the edges and instead of printing the "DMC" we will simply cut
it out and let the fender metal shine through.
(The DMC cut out peices fit nicely on your door sills too)

Naturally, this material is more expensive that regular vinyl.
It is 4 times as costly and will increase the price.

I will offer these for only $249.00 PER SET!

I can email you photos, and send you a 1" square of the sample
material if you are interested.

I will install a set onto my own car soon and will post photos ASAP.
These are the closest thing to original that you will find at any price.

- Videobob
http://www.dfwdmc.com