From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2165
Date: Tuesday, August 10, 2004 4:01 AM

1. Re: entertainment/speakers at the show
From: "Hank" <henry_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>

2. RE: entertainment/speakers at the show
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. RE: entertainment/speakers at the show
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

4. Thanks to Pittsburgh DMCers
From: "Ian Foster" <ian_at_dml_netvigator.com>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 18:24:36 -0400
From: "Hank" <henry_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: entertainment/speakers at the show

>What else should I do Marc?

Bob,

  I think the issue is that most of the DML has already seen your propensity to mark up the items your selling by 100% to 300% (radio antenna, radio harness, LEDs, vinyl stripes, etc).

That's a pretty high markup for members of the community who have helped you significantly without ever asking for any remuneration.   Sure, if you can sell stuff on ebay for whatever you get, fine.  But this is supposed to be a community, and when you say you're going to be selling the DVD, I think most of the community pretty well expects you to mark that up pretty high as well.   I don't have a problem paying you for your time filming, editing, copying, and distributing the DVDs, but just don't try to gouge us for it like a commercial product.   And if you choose to do so, I'm sure there will be some folks who would rather just copy your work rather than buy it, and you'll suddenly find yourself fighting pirates rather then expending that energy on other more productive and profitable projects.

-Hank

Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 19:33:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I just always find it funny (and you are not the only
one) when someone who is always looking for "free" or
"discount" stuff, but yet when you have something to
offer it is always for sale.

You also sell a DVD on your website of material which
you do not own the copyright for.  What about the
investment and work of the people who made those
items?

While I agree that it is OK to be compensated fairly
for work that you do, it just seems to me that you are
always trying to sell something!  I'd bet that in the
past 6 months, you had more "commercial" postings to
the DML than anyone else...

For the record (for new comers, like yourself), I have
always been against commercial posting on the DML.

Bob, you have made a nice chunk of change thanks to
the DML, and DCS..  I guess I am just jealous.  :)

<SNIP>

Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2004 18:28:57 -0400
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

(Moderators Note: With this reply from Ken K himself, I think it explains the agreements Ken has with those who are either directly or indirectly involved with his shows. This will close this thread. Marty, this weeks moderator)

I hope this thread does not get out of hand.

Video Bob asked if he could vidoe tape the show and do a video for sale aferward.  I cannot do this and run the show so He has my blessings on doing what he can to make all of your experiences at PF preserved in video
He did ask for some shots that are not on my web page or that he shot at the show and Marc did hit that one right on the head.
We use video and pictures that are being kept by individuals because it is their lifes work and they don't want to just give it away but were willing to share it at the show with the understanding that the material would not be distributed.
It is their wishes and I do abide by that.  It also helps me give you new and exciting thing at the shows. People trust me that I will not give their work away for free so they give it to me.

In this case I understand the response as appropriate based on normal conditions but in this case Video Bob did ask before and has the permission of the show to use whatever he needs to make his video from the show from me and if he gets permission from other sources all the better.

I also thank Marc for defending the show as he had a major role in preparing some of the video used that was considered private.  He more than anyone else understands what we go through to get our hands on the video for your enjoyment at the show.

Thanks again
I am finally starting to unwind from the show

Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 12:19:27 +0800
From: "Ian Foster" <ian_at_dml_netvigator.com>
Subject: Thanks to Pittsburgh DMCers

Dear DMCers,

I'd like to send a public 'thank you' message to Dan Plakosh and "Vixen
Dave" (also their lovely wives, and dog) for their great hospitality in
Pittsburgh last week.

I was in Pittsburgh on business and enjoyed the chance to view Dan's well
refurbished car, and having a good chat with fellow enthusiasts ... thats
the great thing about this "International" Club.

If any of you are ever in HongKong or N.Ireland you are more than welcome to
contact me for a D-chat.

Cheers,         IAN