From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2169
Date: Thursday, August 12, 2004 5:08 PM

1. Re: Horrible Idle problem
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

2. Re: Cincinnati DeLorean Tech Session, Sept 12th
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

3. Re: Auto Trans Shift Points
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

4. Re: steering wheel removal
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

5. Re: Horrible Idle problem
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

6. Re: Car Show/Fund Raiser in NJ
From: DmcGman_at_dml_comcast.net

7. customize
From: "Marvin" <marv_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com>

8. Hood needed and other stuff
From: "modestoguy2002" <modestoguy2002_at_dml_yahoo.com>

9. Pictures of VIN5425
From: "Johan" <dmc_at_dml_tranceponder.se>

10. Re: PGH Tech session
From: Mike Substelny <msubstel_at_dml_lorainccc.edu>

11. Re: steering wheel removal
From: "Richard" <dmc_driver_at_dml_yahoo.ca>

12. Re: Complete LED kit for the car - ALL BULBS
From: "Richard" <dmc_driver_at_dml_yahoo.ca>

13. Re: glove box
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

14. flooding
From: "ford565656565656" <ford565656565656_at_dml_yahoo.com>

15. Slave Cylinder-Argggh!
From: "Michael & Denise" <luckeys71_at_dml_cox.net>

16. Question about the ignition system
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>

17. Do fuel accumulators die overnight??... I'm stumped here.
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

18. Greasy, cloudy windows
From: Christian Williams <delorean_at_dml_framezero.com>

19. Re: >snip< LED FESTOON BULBS!(A/C)
From: "gzapf" <x86Daddy_at_dml_myrealbox.com>

20. glove box
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com

21. Springs
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>

22. Full Throttle Microswitch Wanted!!!!
From: "Mike" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>

23. Interior LED lights
From: "ablemanse" <s.ableman_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

24. Commercial Postings on the DML ....In Defense Of
From: "Richard" <dmc_driver_at_dml_yahoo.ca>

25. Re: Interior LED lights
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 11:05:30 EDT
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Horrible Idle problem

In a message dated 8/11/04 7:53:43 AM Central Daylight Time,
hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com writes:

> Best thing you can do without a dwellmeter is unplug
> the lambda sensor behind the driver's seat.

Or you can buy a dwell meter from autozone for $30 and have peace of mind
that you are at least close.  why monkey around without one?

Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 14:02:26 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Cincinnati DeLorean Tech Session, Sept 12th

You are learning that just buying and replacing parts can be a rather
expensive way to do things and success is not guaranteed. For what you
have spent you could have sent the car to one of the venders. The good
news is that you are probably not very far away from being done. All
it may take is making sure some of the parts were correctly installed
and some adjustments. BTW what was done to the motor that you had
shipping on it? You say estimated labor, did you do this work
yourself? If so you cannot add $2,000 because you didn't spend it.
Anyway you are right in the "ball park" spending $13,000 for a nice
'83 (maybe even on the low side).

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "austinbrumley" <austinbrumley_at_dml_d...>
wrote:
> Josh the following is a list of what i've had to do to my car since i
> bought it.

ilt alt.         =$60

Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 13:46:54 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Auto Trans Shift Points

The lever does not go farther past the pin so don't force it. When I
said you could adjust it a little, that's what I meant. To make any
large changes to the shift points will require digging into the shift
computer itself and experimenting with changing some of the resistors
and capacitors to get the analog comparators to operate differently.
This is no small task and the gains will be minimal. I have heard of
people adding a switch and manually overriding the shift computer,
there is the danger of overspeeding the motor and/or transmission.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Michiel.bohmer" <michiel.bohmer_at_dml_i...>

Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 13:51:09 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: steering wheel removal

This is a risky way to do this. You could collapse the steering column
and damage the shaft and the steering wheel. It is much safer and
easier to just use a steering wheel puller. If you need to make one I
can fax you the information you will need. The ones you can buy either
won't fit or you will need very long screws.

Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 13:45:54 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

Actually this doesn't look too bad so far. The total will start to
build nicely when you start putting the fun stuff on. You'll get up
there - have patience.

Harold McElraft - 3354

Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 15:58:47 +0000
From: DmcGman_at_dml_comcast.net
Subject: Re: Car Show/Fund Raiser in NJ

I saw this show advertised.  Actually one side of this college where the show is going to be held is on Lamington Road and just down the road is John DeLorean's Former Estate.

Gary Gore

Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 12:28:54 -0400
From: "Marvin" <marv_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com>
Subject: customize

Anyone have any sketches, or designs for a radically customized DeLorean? The only parameter would be leaving the doors, windshield, roof line, wheelbase, otherwise anything goes - inside and out. Car could be painted which would allow more creativity.

Definitely liked the Audi in the movie "I, Robot".

I'm thinking about it! I have someone interested in my car.

Marv.
# 17077
marv_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com

Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 17:23:01 -0000
From: "modestoguy2002" <modestoguy2002_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Hood needed and other stuff

Hello everyone,

I acquired an 81 Delorean and have been working on it for a while and
watching the newsletter.  I need a hood, preferably with the style
grooves and without the gas door.  If anyone out there knows of one
in good shape, let me know.

I have removed the console and find a very small tube running under
the dash but not attached.  Anyone know where this goes?

I did have hot-start problems but thanks to some of you I had the
accumulator replaced and that fixed it.

I understand DMC will have the vinyl console cover available soon and
am awaiting that.

Thanks in advance.  Jim Matheny

Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 20:11:48 +0200
From: "Johan" <dmc_at_dml_tranceponder.se>
Subject: Pictures of VIN5425

Hi,

Here is some pics of VIN5425.
http://dmc.yournetalbum.com

Regards
dmc_at_dml_tranceponder.se

Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 11:46:52 -0400
From: Mike Substelny <msubstel_at_dml_lorainccc.edu>
Subject: Re: PGH Tech session

A Lesson from the Pittsburgh Tech Session

The name Tech Session makes it sound like a lecture, but this was much
better.  It was more of an action-packed "we'll fix anything on a
DeLorean" adventure, but with food.  The expertise and equipment on hand
were almost as incredible as the menu.

Dan and Judy were wonderful, generous hosts.  They fed us steak, ribs,
burgers, Polish sausage, beer . . . it never seemed to end!  The
homemade brownies with hand made DMC candy toppers made it extra
special.  They have a lovely home with plenty of shade trees.  The
delicious food just kept coming, and those cool commemorative T-shirts
are the best.  Dan and Judy made it look easy, but I know they must have
done a lot of work to prepare for so many of us (I believe about 14
DeLoreans and 30 some people) to descend on their place.  I cannot
overstate how welcome they made us all feel.  Judy and Juley (Dave
Stragand's girlfriend) did quite a bit of work while we were there,
again making it all look easy.

Speaking of Mr. Goodwrench*, not only did Dave run his engine analyzer
for at least five DeLoreans, he adjusted engines, cleaned fuel
injectors, and did many other things to make sure a bunch of DeLoreans
are running a lot better this week than they did last week.

Rich has already told the story of his seat re-skinning.  The result was
impressive, I encourage everyone to check out the photos.

Shannon Yocom and Joe O'Brien were up to their usual gig of adjusting
torsion bars, setting a record for the most drastic DOWNWARD adjustment
I have ever seen.  They also helped me get my new angle drive from DMC
Texas and lower speedo cable from DeLorean Parts Northwest working
together properly.  Thanks, guys!

Plenty of other jobs were done, from diagnosing & fixing mysterious
noises to installing LED lights.  And always there was more food.

We can all learn a lesson from the Pittsburgh Tech Session, but this
lesson is not easy.  You see, Dan and Judy have set a new standard in
local DeLorean events.  They invited a great buch of people, they were
super prepared, they were generous to the nth degree, and best of all
they made everyone feel very, very welcome.  I am humbled by their
skills as host and hostess.

Yes, the Pittsburgh tech session is over.  Now my speedometer reads
correctly . . . and I am spending the next two weeks on Slimfast!

             - Mike Substelny

* (footnote: Dave Stragand spent the day tuning up DeLoreans wearing
some old Mr. Goodwrench coveralls.  For that reason you may sometimes
see DMLers refer to Dave as "Mr. Goodwrench.")

Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 18:46:58 -0000
From: "Richard" <dmc_driver_at_dml_yahoo.ca>

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Michael T Twigger <marktwigger_at_dml_j...>
wrote:
> How do you remove the steering wheel?
>
> We have replaced the steering rack and some how
> the steering wheel is off almost 180 degrees.  And the steering rack
> only goes in one way. Has this happened to anyone else?
>
> MT

Someone posted their solution a few pages back.  Check out message
43912.  http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews/message/43912

Hope this helps.

Richard Rowe

Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 18:52:27 -0000
From: "Richard" <dmc_driver_at_dml_yahoo.ca>
Subject: Re: Complete LED kit for the car - ALL BULBS

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Robert Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_h...> wrote:
> If there is anyone who wanted to change out every bulb on the car
> with LED's I have them for you.
> This is not a kit I am going to offer at thsi time,
> right now I just happen to have all of these as part of a testing kit
> I was using.

Hi Videobob,

Just wondering why you're not planning to sell these kits.  I would
think they would be very popular.  Anyway, will you still make
available all the bulbs separately?  I'm considering switching to all
LEDs next year.

Richard Rowe

Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 20:36:39 -0000
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>
Subject: Re: glove box

Could you be more specific?  Is it not latching at all, or does it
come unlatched while you're driving?

Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 22:22:27 -0000
From: "ford565656565656" <ford565656565656_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: flooding

My '81 DeLorean floods so bad that I cannot start it using the
starter motor.  But if I tow it up to 10-15 MPH, it starts up and
runs great.  Had the starter rebuilt and it turns the engine well.
The car has 34000 miles on it. I can't find anyone who can figure
out the problem.

My 11 year old twins and I converted the car to the Back to the
Future look on the exterior and this summer has been a real
disappointment in not being able to drive the car to shows or th
their school.

Can anyone help me out on a diagnosis for this problem???

Fred Hone, Exeter, R.I.   fth90_at_dml_cox.net

Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 22:01:37 -0400
From: "Michael & Denise" <luckeys71_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Slave Cylinder-Argggh!

Hi gang,
After struggling for 2 days to try and replace the slave cylinder I've come to the regrettable conclusion that this is something I cannot do.  I'm making a plea to any member of the group with knowledge of removing this part who is near the Tidewater area of Virginia and would like to earn some money for their expertise to please contact me off-line.  I would much rather try and pay a DeLorean enthusiast than some mechanic that doesn't have the patience or passion to deal with these cars.
Here's hoping someone can help me with my stranded car!

Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 15:05:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Question about the ignition system

Hey there,

Quick question(s).  One of my most dreaded thoughts
has been if the ignition switch (#106679) ever goes
out.  Has anyone come up with some interesting ways
around this problem other than scowering all known
DeLorean owners/vendors for another one?  Has anyone
ever had this part go out on them?  I ask because I
would like to know how often this particular part
poops out.  I would just about die if that part ever
went out, and it kept my car from running (ok, I
wouldn't die, but I would softly weep for an hour or
so =P).

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 01:57:57 -0000
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Do fuel accumulators die overnight??... I'm stumped here.

Or do they gradually start to die? All the ones I have dealt with
seem to just not allow the car to start when hot.

The problem is that I think mine might be starting to die... maybe.

I start the car up fine allow it to reach operating temperature
allow the fans to cycle once or twice, then shut it off. Car still
startgs fine after it is fully warmed, can shut it off and start it
over & over when hot.

If I allow it to cool for say 4 or 5 hours and it is still luke
warmish it won't start unless I crank on it or give it a shot of
ether. After it starts it has a roughb backfire and a miss when I
give it gas hard.

Never before has it done this, and the fuel accumulator is the one
fuel item I have never replaced. I just finished replacing the warm-
up regulator and all 6 injectors with new ones. And had the idle
properly set.

Could this rough start when luke warmish cold be a faulty warm-up
regulator. Under accelleration once re-warmed up there is NO problem
at all. Car runs better than it ever has. So it couldn't be the
injectors as there is no problem once properly warmed. Car is dead
on 13 degrees timing, every fuel component besides accumulator has
been replaced, but since it will still start when hot it doesn't
give me the standard impression that it is the fuel accumulator.
Like the CPR doesn't want to work the second time it has to warm the
engine up.

I still have my old CPR which I haven't mailed back yet for the core
and was about to swap it out and see if there was a difference, but
since the engine was hot & so were the exhaust manifolds I thought
I'd let my temper cool as well as the manifolds and post a message
here for anyone to possibly give me a word of advice. I spent the
last hour sifting through the archives to try to find a similar
issue, but couldn't as I try to limit my common questions by using
the archives. Car has just over 11,000 miles on it presently as well.

Sorry for the length, but I tried to include as much as I could
think of to help me get a good answer.

So to recap, car starts fine cold & hot, starts hard or not at all
when luke warmish or cooled, runs like crap till re-warmed. Car will
start fine the next day after allowed to fully cool down. This all
happened after I tried to start it after I allowed it to cool after
installing a new CPR & injectors, and having the idle adjusted. I
just wonder if it is the accumulator or the CPR is faulty, since it
will start when hot 99% of the time. And until the new CPR I never
had a hot start, or luke warmish problem.

If anyone has a clue, or a bit of advice, I would most appreciate
it, as this is extremely frustrating to get the car running
perfectly, then have it crap out on you worse than it was before you
sunk several hundred into it.

Thanks,

Joe O'Brien

2524 & 16634

Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 21:25:48 -0700 (PDT)
From: Christian Williams <delorean_at_dml_framezero.com>
Subject: Greasy, cloudy windows

For some reason, I can not get my windows clean. Every time I clean them,
with soap and water, windex, armor all window wipes, invisible glass,
etc... within about 4 days, they're so cloudy that they're bordering on
dangerous.

I thought I remembered reading on the list once that battery fumes might
do this, and a gel-cell battery was recommended. Am I remembering this
right? Any truth to the rumor?

I don't use armor all on my dashboard or anywhere on the interior - only
every now and then on the louvers. I'd love it if someone could point me
in the right directon to keep these windows clear - not even really
showroom spotless, but just clear and safe.

-Christian

(for the archives, I have streaky windows, greasy windows, cloudy windows,
smeared windows, dirty windows)

Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 05:14:02 -0000
From: "gzapf" <x86Daddy_at_dml_myrealbox.com>
Subject: Re: >snip< LED FESTOON BULBS!(A/C)

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_c...> wrote:
> You wouldn't happen to know if the shift-quadrant on the automatics
> is BA7?  It's a really tiny bulb.

Yes, at least in the original style auto-shifter (no DMC emblem, early
VINs; that's what I have and have tested).  I will note, however, that
I put a regular bulb back in the next time I opened it, as the BA7s's
beam was too acute for that application in my opinion.  I have some
low-quality pics of the results in the photos section in the folder
"2894."  If you do decide to go with an LED for it anyway, I chose
white, making a total of 5 white BA7s bulbs.

Also, if you have the SpecialTAuto fan fix, you can go with red BA7s
LEDs for all 3 red indicators.  If you have Fanzilla, just get two, as
you'll need a regular bulb in the Fan Fail spot.

--Greg

Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 08:43:41 EDT
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: glove box

Andy,

Until you find a real solution to the glove box latch problem you can do
what I had to do when I recovered my dash and box lid with a vinyl that was
thicker that the original.  I used a strong magnet under the box edge that  holds
the top.  I bought them for another project from ...

_All  Electronics Corp._
(http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=370&item=MAG-26&type=store)

_http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=370&item=MAG-26&t
ype=store_
(http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=370&item=MAG-26&type=store)

Dave and 6530

Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 06:13:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Springs

I didn't realize there would be so much interest in a set of springs that I didn't like. The only way I can do this fairly is to take the requests in order. If you don't hear from me off list you didn't get them. Sorry.

Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 13:41:08 -0000
From: "Mike" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>
Subject: Full Throttle Microswitch Wanted!!!!

Hi All

Does any one have a full throttle microswitch with the wiring and the
littlesecuring plate /bolts? lying around.... if so i need one :).....
To suit an automatic ( if they are differnet to a manual ??)

doc403
hull, uk

Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 12:58:00 -0000
From: "ablemanse" <s.ableman_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Interior LED lights

Dear List,

   I installed LEDs in the passenger compartment, they work fine when
turned on and off manually, but will not shut off when in the
activated via the doors. The lights work correctly when the orignal
bulbs are put back in. Suggestions!

Steve 1089

Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 09:13:05 -0000
From: "Richard" <dmc_driver_at_dml_yahoo.ca>
Subject: Commercial Postings on the DML ....In Defense Of

After reading the "Speakers at the show" messages, I felt I had to add
my 2cents here.  It seems that some of you are against solicitation
and commercial posts while others are OK with it.  As for me, I LIKE
the commercial posts.  If there's a new product available for our
little silver cars, whether it's from SpecialT Auto, VideoBob, DMCH,
Grady's or anyone else, I want to know about it!  After all, how many
of you have ever seen ads from your local auto parts store saying
something like "New Shipment of DeLorean Parts In Stock", or "New
DeLorean Product Available"?  Nope, never gonna happen, unless you're
lucky enough to live next door to a DMC vendor.  On several occasions,
when I went to a NAPA, CarQuest or Canadian Tire store and asked if
they had any Delorean parts, they just laughed at me.

For example, my cooling fans were on their way out and the shroud was
broken as well.  So, I was pondering whether to replace or try to
repair them, but then I read about John Hervey's new fan and metal
shroud product on the DML.  There was the answer to my problem!  As
for VideoBob's LED kits, I'm glad to know that new products like this
are available, even if I don't need or want them right now, because I
probably will in the future.  Let's face it, we DeLorean owners are a
rare breed and we need all the help we can get to keep the dream
alive.

Richard Rowe

Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 10:55:26 -0400
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Interior LED lights

By replacing the regular incandescent lamps with LED's you've lowered the
resistance in the electrical circuit that the lamp delay module uses to shut
off the lamps. You either need to insert a resistor in the circuit or live
with the regular lamps.

Dave Sontos