From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2175
Date: Sunday, August 15, 2004 11:45 PM

From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

From: "Michael" <hopyardvmp_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "George DeLorean" <phantomoftheopera_gk_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: jordan rubin <nuttenschleuder_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. Ohm's Law (Cigar lighter output)
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com

9. electrical problems solution
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

10. Re: Only blows air on fan level 4?
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

11. Re: How long is too long?
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

12. Re: Ohm's Law (Cigar lighter output)
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

13. DCS Aftermath and support and a funny stat.
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

14. Looking for Mike Gries ...
From: "Nick Kemp" <nkemp_at_dml_bwig.net>

15. Re: car cleaning
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

16. Re: Re: Electrical
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>

17. Re: Re: After MArket Cruise Control Removal...Help! :)
From: <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

18. Re: DeLorean's dumped into the sea?
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

19. Re: DeLorean's dumped into the sea?
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

20. Drivers side torsion bar for sale
From: "Jim Reeve" <jim.reeve_at_dml_wayzata.k12.mn.us>

21. Need to extract a broken bolt.
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

22. Ignition experiments
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

23. Re: electrical problems solution
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

24. Re: DeLorean's dumped into the sea?
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

25. Re: car cleaning
From: "dmcorlando2003" <SundeQuick_at_dml_aol.com>

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 04:18:44 -0000
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>
Subject: Re: How long is too long?

I'd go get your car.  From my own experience, PJ Grady is a great
place to get helpful advice and buy parts, if they have them on hand
and are not feeling forgetful.  There has been an instance or two
where I've had to call more than once to get an order processed and
shipped.  Sometimes I've made multiple calls and never get anywhere
trying to get certain parts.  The reason just seems to be that the
work ethic is not all that rigorous.

Occasionally, I'm asked if I "need this part right away" or "before
the show."  Well now really, it shouldn't matter, should it?  If I
say that I do, does that mean someone else's order gets pushed aside
so mine can be filled sooner?  Maybe this is how people end up
waiting 3 years for things, because they're gypped by others who
*need* things fast.  Did you say that they could take their time
with your transmission? :)

3 years is definitely too long to wait, and I'd say your patience
has really been tried.  I'm not familiar myself with the automatic
transmission replacement since I have a manual.  A manual
transmission replacement could easily take place in a 1-3 days,
provided you are able to lift the car up.  I'd go get my car and
find a shop who wants to do it.

This is not meant to discredit PJ Grady as a great place to buy
parts.  We all need to be "put over the knee" once in awhile to keep
us in line :-P

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Ralph Isenberg, III"
<delorean1981dmc_at_dml_h...> wrote:
> Just a followup to my original post of last September. Still
nothing done to the car that we know of. It was shipped to PJ Grady in 2001,
needing a new automatic transmission. We have the credit card reciept for the
$5000 we paid up front, to cover the tranny and a few other odds and ends.

Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 04:30:18 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Electrical

This will not work well on a Delorean. The ignition wires extend
deeply into wells where they connect to the spark plugs. If the wires
break down  inside the wells or there is water in there because the
wires didn't seal on the lip you won't see the discharge. Unfortunatly
to really check out the ignition wires you need an engine analyzer.
The cheap and "dirty" way is to just replace the wires if you suspect
them. In any case if they are over 10 years old they should be
replaced. The rubber compounds used in the insulation age and break
down so you should not trust them after 10 years. Kind of like tires.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_y...> wrote:
> Any time I have an electrical problem that concerns the engine the
first thing I do is start it in a very dark place. Get a mirror and
look for any kind of electrical leak. Saved a lot of work many times.
Never needed to do it with the DeLorean though. Knock on wood.

Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 04:41:25 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Ohm's Law (Cigar lighter output)

I am not quite sure what your problem is. The cigar lighter circuit
will supply 15 amps _at_dml_ 12 volts continuously. Fuse # 17 is a 20 amp
fuse and supplies the cigar lighter and the clock (in the 81's). You
have to be careful with the recepticle because it is very "short"
meaning that many plugs do not fit correctly into it. I tried a
maplight and it kept falling out. In many cars they now provide
multiple 12 volt recepticles for the lighter, cell phone, radar
detector, CD player etc. Maybe you should just add a couple of
recepticles under the dash or in the side of the console. If the fuse
in the particular device you are plugging in blows the fault in in the
device, not the circuit powering it. Check the polarity. The pump
won't care but the electronic devices will. Maybe the lighter is wired
up wrong. The center contact is supposed to be + .

Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 01:12:11 -0500
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: car cleaning

Has anyone ever shined the car up, and had the panel CLEAR-COATED?
What was the result?
I was thinking that this might be a good idea, it would retain the last
shine you put on in
and would look wet all the time and could be buffed.
(I THINK).
Is this possible?

Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 06:48:21 -0000
From: "Michael" <hopyardvmp_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: DeLorean's dumped into the sea?

     To whom it may concern,

     I am researching parts of the DeLorean history and was
fascinated by a recent story I heard about the tremendous failure of
the model in the United States. I was told that the cars proved so
difficult to sell that those remaining (several hundred or so) were
dumped into the ocean to prevent the model from being continued and
to not risk devaluing the sold cars. I noticed on your site that you
believed the dyes used to cast the molds of the body are now believed
to have been sold as fish net weights. Is there any truth to this
story and if yes, does anyone know where the cars were dumped
exactly?

Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 06:58:38 -0000
From: "George DeLorean" <phantomoftheopera_gk_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: May I have some help please?

Hi everyone.
            I need a bit of advice.  Can anyone tell me some general
parts stores where I can get parts for my DMC?  I live in Salt Lake,
and believe me, the only repair shops that do DMC work are so
freaking expensive that it isn't funny.  And not only that, I don't
want to have to order something from a parts dist. (DMCH, RockAuto,
etc.) unless I absolutely have to.  Any help from current or former
Utah owners is greatly appreciated.

                            George DeLorean

Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 01:19:46 -0700 (PDT)
From: jordan rubin <nuttenschleuder_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: HOWTO's # 17 and 18 are released

Hello all,

   Its been too long but i'd rether be driving my car
in the summer than working on it.  Either way with
inspection comming up, work had to be done.

Howto # 17 is the replacment if the O2 sensor.
Howto # 18 is the reseting of the lambda counter.

Please have a look and let me know what you think.  I
hope their helpful.  There will be more on the way.

http://retroserver.no-ip.com/deloreanmain.html

thanx

Jordan 11613

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 08:34:41 EDT
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Ohm's Law (Cigar lighter output)

Rich,

Something is confusing about your terminology, "How many amps is the cigar
lighter -supposed- to put out??"

What do you mean my this?  As I see it the cigar lighhter socket, does not put
out anything.  A circuit that you plug into it will "draw" current from  it as
limited by Ohm's Law (Volts= Amps x Ohms) and the fuse.

The cigar light is protected by fuse # 17 which is supposed to be 20  amps.
Using Ohm's Law that would mean that the lowest resistance device  you could
plug in would be about 0.6 ohms.  Pretty darn low and drawing  alot of current
(20 amperes).  A short is theoretically zero ohms, thus  would want to draw
infinite current (amps) and thus it will blow the fuse.

You should be able to plug in devices that will use up to 20 amps of  current
without blowing fuse #17.

If you plug something in the cigar lighter socket and it blows fuse #17  then
it is "drawing" more than the 20 Amps  ...and probably has a  short.  Look
closely inside the socket to make sure there is no foreign  material in there
and DON'T clean it out with something metallic ... unless the  power is already
off!

If this does not answer your question then please repost more clearly or
send it to me.

Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 08:50:49 EDT
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: electrical problems solution

IF you remember I posted two electrical problems about two weeks ago.

The first problem was the #1 fuse blew a few seconds after the car started
and the second one was the #7 fuse had overheated and melted the fuse box.

The first problem was some broken insulation in the wire harness and it
shorted againt the metal of the car.  Took about 3 minutes to find and it is fine
now.

The second one was a bit harder to conrfirm since the car has not run yet but
the fuse box was disassembeled and I took out the wires.  The ends clearly
were corroded and the fuse did nto fit tight
Its in a new fuse box and I suspect that problem is also solved.

Found one other problem though in the first car.

There was a power drain from the battery even with the car off.  It turned
out to be the door lock system and it was obvious.

I locked and unlocked the car a few times and it released whatever was stuck
and it works fine now with no current drain.

Thats the follow up
Sorry it was nothing earthshattering but usually the electrical problems are
something simple

Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 13:23:58 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Only blows air on fan level 4?

Is the fan motor running on 1, 2, or 3? There is a resistance module
down by the fan motor than is part of the circuit on speeds 1-3. A
passenger's feet or removing/installing floor mats may have knocked
off some wiring. I'd check that first.

Harold McElraft - 3354

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "lakelanier20" <derek4567_at_dml_h...>
wrote:
> Alright, this is a weird one.  When I got my car 3 weeks ago, the
> climate control fan switch (the one that has options of 0-4)
worked at all stages.  For the first week it blew air at level 1, 2, 3,
and 4, blowing more air the higher the number, just the way it's
supposed to.  Now, it only blows air when the switch is set to level 4.

Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 13:41:31 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

I find this hard to understand. This does not sound like PJ Grady -
not even close. There has got to be more to it than this. Also, if
it has been sitting outside for the last 3 years - untouched, you've
got more problems than a transmission.

Harold McElraft - 3354

Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 14:30:56 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

I've run into this situation before when I have attempted to use the
outlet for various accessories. Look into the outlet and you will
see that the + supply has a very large tab in a "u" shape. That tab
is probably grounding out because of an incompatible design of the
plug of your accessory.

To get around this I purchased an adapter at Radio Shack that has
worked fine. I have seen additional adapters that have proper fits
for modern accessories installed in the wooden frame just above the
battery. The back opens up into the space between the fuse/relay
compartment and the wooden frame. However, I just use a three outlet
multi-plug from Radio Shack plugged into the D outlet if I want to
run a CB, etc.

Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 10:33:40 EDT
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: DCS Aftermath and support and a funny stat.

I am a bit amazed and appreciative that we still are getting letters from you
about the Pigeon Forge Show. We still are getting two or three a week.   Many
of you really liked the indoor venue as you did not get scorched by the sun
or rained on.

Many of the trophie winners have e-mailed us and have told us how much they
liked their awards.

One thing that I did as the result of some of the letters was to go back and
see who the winners were.

I met many of you for the first time on stage with your awards.

As you know I do the stats kinda for fun and many enjoy them but this time I
just did a quick glance at the pictures and determined that again about half
(that number keeps popping up) of you that accepted awards at the show had not
won at previous shows.

This is a little surprising to me since I know the die hards are there every
year and cars like Curtis and Rons and a few others are so unique that they do
well with awards every time.
Hard work does pay off.

But the amount of new people is both refreshing and welcome to the show.

The judges also this year said that again the cars are getting better with
each show.  Much better than in Cincinnati so it shows that you all are
improving your cars to keep them in the best condition  you can.

Again the reason for this post is that the 50% number keeps popping up and I
thought I would share that with you all.

We are expecting from all the great comments that Pheasant Run will be even a
bigger event than PF.

Remember to renew your DCS magazine subscription before October.  We will
e-mail those already subscribing some time in September for those of you not on
the list but at PF, this issue will cover the show and a lot more.  If you were
not on either check us out at www.deloreancarshow.com

Thanks for the support
I am almost recovered.

Ken
DeLorean Car Show Inc.

Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 09:39:50 -0500
From: "Nick Kemp" <nkemp_at_dml_bwig.net>
Subject: Looking for Mike Gries ...

Mike,

Please contact me offline at nkemp via bwig dot net.

Thanks,

Nick

Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 10:56:38 -0500
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

Video Bob,

I am surprised by your question.  There was a clear coated DeLorean time
Machine at Pigeon Forge.

BOB

Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 09:00:28 -0700 (PDT)
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Electrical

I disagree. It works well on any car with the single exception that you stated that has to do with water. I would doubt that there would be any leak do to the insulation in the wells. That insulation is much thicker than the wires.  I have found invisible cracks in the coil and distributor cap as well as spark plug wires that have had the insulation break down with time and heat.

David Teitelbaum <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net> wrote:This will not work well on a Delorean. The ignition wires extend deeply into wells where they connect to the spark plugs. If the wires break down inside the wells or there is water in there because the wires didn't seal on the lip you won't see the discharge.

Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 11:19:14 -0500
From: <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Re: After MArket Cruise Control Removal...Help! :)

This issue has been hashed over several times in the past but here it is again.

The DeLorean has a horizontal throttle spool in the engine compartment. Thats the part where the throttle cable from the passenger compartment attaches to the injection manifold. When the cruise module pulls on the throttle spool the throttle cable will go slack thereby posing a potential to fall off the track and jam the throttle in the open position.

To properly install a cruise control in a DeLorean it would have to be installed somewhere in the passenger compartment and setup to pull directly on the throttle cable itself at the gas pedal.

This is my point of view, so decide for yourself what you want to do.

Dave Sontos
vin 02573

Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 16:30:44 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: DeLorean's dumped into the sea?

Any serious research into the history of the Delorean car and company
has to start with reading Stainless Steel Illusion by John Lamm.
Although it was out of print for many years and hard to get a copy at
a reasonable price, it has been reprinted through the efforts of DMC
Houston. I recomend you order a copy and start there. It will answer
many of your questions. For the record there is no knowledge of any
Delorean cars being "dumped" in the ocean. The body panel dies have
been confirmed dumped to be used as anchors for fishnets. The UK did
not want anyone to ever use them again for the production of body
panels. By most measures the Delorean was a success in the US, just
look at the interest in it now, even by you. Very few "orphan" makes
can claim the production #'s of Deloreans and all that in 2 years. A
little more finacial backing and the company might have survived the
start-up and development costs. As you read and learn more about the
Delorean you may develop a greater respect for what was accomplished.

Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 12:31:55 EDT
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

DCS need help

This is an interesting line and I know it is not new news but one thing I
would like to have for the next show is a copy of the film showing the divers
looking at the dies

I saw it a few years back and don't remember where
If anyone knows where a copy is I would appreciate it

Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 18:16:37 -0000
From: "Jim Reeve" <jim.reeve_at_dml_wayzata.k12.mn.us>
Subject: Drivers side torsion bar for sale

Group, I have recently come across a DeLorean which was demolished
in a wreck many years ago.  The remains of it have been sitting
outside since. (I dont know exactly how long).  Of the very few
things I was able to salvage off of it, was a good condition drivers
side torsion bar.  Since I haven't followed the list much lately, I
am unsure of houston's progress rebuilding them.  But I am willing
to sell it if anybody needs one now.  Please email me off list at
dmc6960*at*tmail*dot*com.  (There are no astricks * in my email, I
just want to guarantee it gets no spam).  Thanks.

Jim Reeve  aka-"TIMMAY!"
MNDMC - Minnesota DeLorean Club
DMC6960

Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 18:46:55 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Need to extract a broken bolt.

Ok. So after retesting the engine, I discovered that the 168psi
reading was incorrect. Great. So I have decided to replace the water
pump, and the O rings on the Y pipe behind the water pump, because
they're leaking so bad, and to properly pressure test the cooling
system, to see if the head gasket is compromised between the water
jacket, and the oil galley.

Fast Forward. While replacing the flange gaskets on the water pump
bypass, one of the new bolts that I was screwing in (grade 8.8 btw),
snapped it's head. And then while attempting to extract the bolt with
a bolt extractor, the extractor broke off in the bolt. So in a word,
this sucks. I've tried taking cobalt drill bits to it, and that has
not done a thing, except dull the bits.

Does anyone have any ideas here? I'm tempted so far to call up a
mobile car repair place, to see if they can remove the stud for me.
Especially since it's so accessable. Otherwise, if I could find like
a hollow bit (like a hole saw) that could cut into the bolt, and bore
around the broken extractor bit, I'd could knock it out of place.
Does anyone know if anything like this exists?

Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 19:16:09 -0000
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Ignition experiments

Since I've had people express interest in my ingnition issues, I have
new news to post but first, a question:

Has ANYONE bought an 18kV Bosch coil from John Hervey and had good
results? So far, I'm only hearing bad news about these. I've also
tried Accel, and "Standard" brands with the same poor performance.

Any wire that passes a strong enough signal makes an inductive field
which can be picked up by a timing light (unless it's shielded).

My last test with my timing light showed that all 6 plug wires nearly
quit firing under enough of an engine load. The next test was to move
back to the dizzy/coil feed wire and see if that dies too. It does
NOT. No matter how hard I spike the throttle, or lug the engine, the
coil always puts out a strong signal. I also put the timing light on
the white/slate control wire from the ignition ECU to the coil and
the pulsing control signal is very strong there under all loads as
well.

It's as if the higher voltage is breaking down the plug wires or the
rotor. The timing light is strong and steady at all points except the
6 distributor outputs. Also note that even if the cylinders are mis-
firing (as if fouled, bad wires, fuel starved), as long as the dizz
is spinning, the pulse coil should put good pulses to the ECU which
converts and amplifies these and passes them to the ignition coil.
The "loss" just seems to be on the 6 wires.

My wires and rotor are only 8-9 months old, but the rotor has a 5k
ohm resistor and the wires are of a generic make. They may not be up
to the task. I've ordered a new rotor, quality wires and a new pulse
coil (just in case). I'll post results this week once I get things
installed.

Rich A.

Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 19:23:26 -0000
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Re: electrical problems solution

Ken,

Could you please post the location of the rub-through where the wire
was touching the body? This may be a common failure point that we
should all inspect. Pics would be a plus but I can live without
them. ;).

Thanks,

Rich A.

Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 19:55:04 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

Michael,

Do yourself a favor and purchase a copy of Stainless Steel Illusion
and the Delorean Gold Portfolio if you are seriously researching
the Delorean marque.  These are the stories you should be reading
to get the true hisorical references about the man, car and company.

I highly recommend that you do not use heresay for your reference,
neither should you use "documentaries" such as VH1, I Love the 80's
as a factual reference of Delorean the man, car and the company,
but there is at least one legitimate Delorean documentary out there.

Actually, the stories about the body dyes appears to be correct
and substantiated by photos of the dyes on a fishing boat deck.
There is also a very recent story about possible recovery of one
or more body dyes when the current owner of the dyes/net anchors
replaces the dyes/net anchors with actual production net anchors
(for insurance purposes).  The fishery has contact several Delorean
enthusiasts to find out if there is any interest in the recovery.
Recovery would be primarily for historical significance.

As for the story about the cars being dumped in the ocean, the
production series for the continent of Atlantis, VIN H2O......
was never completed and therefore never delivered to the ocean
bottom.  The door seals were only waterproof rated for 1 fathom.
However, since the location of Atlantis is still a mystery and
some company documents are still "missing", who really knows?

As for dumping/destroying cars to make the rest more valuable,
we have not seen increases in car prices due to the destruction
of a Delorean on the Discovery Channel or all the cars being
parted out on ebay over the past few years.  Since there is no
definitive number of cars that all the experts agree were made
between 1981 and 1983, so how could an ambiguous "few hundred"
cars make an impact to possibly devalue the remaining cars?
The KAPAC company received all remaing 1983 model Deloreans.

One of the best and "quick reference" items on all things Delorean
is the Delorean FAQ's document that is also found at DMCNews.com.
I would highly recommend reading all the sections of this document
before doing any other "research" on the Delorean.

Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 20:09:41 -0000
From: "dmcorlando2003" <SundeQuick_at_dml_aol.com>

The clear coating won't stick to the stainless.  Thats the problem
with painting SS..nothing wants to stick (as far as paint).  From
what I understand you have to etch the surface which would ruin the
look if it were to be left "clear".

If memory serves me correctly, weren't a few "tinted" clear coated
panels uncovered when DMC closed that were "test" panels.

Michael
VIN#02944