From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2176
Date: Monday, August 16, 2004 4:01 AM

From: "Ralph Isenberg, III" <delorean1981dmc_at_dml_hotmail.com>

From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

From: nicholden_at_dml_yahoo.com

From: deloreanss_at_dml_aol.com

From: "EJ Chambers" <marmieej_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "alistairmccann" <alistairmccann_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "Gary Hull" <Specialty_at_dml_IN2TIME.com>

From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

From: "jerry_condray" <genghis007_at_dml_sctelcom.net>

10. Re: DeLorean's dumped into the sea?
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

11. Re: Refinishing the Binnacle
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 16:22:15 -0400
From: "Ralph Isenberg, III" <delorean1981dmc_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: How long is too long?

Well we were driving the car till the transmission quit. Not that many
people in this area know our cars, so we contacted PJ Grady's for it. Their
paper had the tranny for $2195, and the car needed a few other odds and ends
(torsion bar adjustment, speedo and fuel guage. the usual problems). So we
paid $5000 up front to cover the tranny replacement and whatever other
little tweaks they could do to it, but weren't prepared for a three
year-plus wait. My wife has a couple days off in October and we tried to pin
them down to a firm date, since she wants to reserve some plane tickets to
fly up and drive it back. But we don't want to order tickets unless we can
be sure the car will be ready to drive back to North Carolina. I still love
the car but if every major occurence causes a three-year wait, I'll settle
for an old Mustang or something :^(

Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 22:45:03 -0000
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>
Subject: Re: car cleaning

For someone who sells BTTF parts, I'd think you should know that Bob
Brandys' time machine is clearcoated like this.

Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 21:10:24 -0000
From: nicholden_at_dml_yahoo.com
Subject: Re: Only blows air on fan level 4?

Generally with most cars the fan resistor controls all the lower
speeds and the top fan speed is a direct 12volts ie...not running
through the resistor to ruduce trhe voltage/fan speed. I am not 100%
sure how the delorean controls its resistance as i have never had
mine apart yet, either a resistor or a module but either one of
these is the place to start looking.

cheers Nick 10927

   Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 23:59:07 -0000
   From: "lakelanier20" <derek4567_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Only blows air on fan level 4?

Alright, this is a weird one.  When I got my car 3 weeks ago, the
climate control fan switch (the one that has options of 0-4) worked
at all stages.  For the first week it blew air at level 1, 2, 3, and
4, blowing more air the higher the number, just the way it's
supposed
to.  Now, it only blows air when the switch is set to level 4.
Anything below that, and absolutely nothing comes out of the vents.
The A/C is still on, whether it's Bi-Level, Norm, or Max, it doesn't
matter.  If 1, 2, or 3 is selected, the A/C still makes it's cycling
and swooshing noises behind the dash, but no air comes out at all.
Level 4 blows full blast cold as normal.  Anyone know what's going
on?

Thanks a lot,
-Derek L

Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 18:59:33 EDT
From: deloreanss_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: DeLorean's dumped into the sea?

Very shortly, I have done quite a bit of research with primary resources
(being people who worked in the factory, dealers, etc) and the answer to your
first inquiry is no, no cars were dumped into the sea. The remaining stock of
parts held by the factory were assembled by the liquidation firm and sold as cars.
The remainder of the parts in Ohio were sold as a whole, and this is from
where many of our spares come. Finally, the stamping machinery being dumped into
the bay is not a rumor, it is a fact. There are pictures of the machinery
being carted and dumped into Galway Bay off of Ireland as fishing net weights. I
forget who has the pictures now, but they do exist and are viewable on the web
somewhere. Hope that clears it up.

John Weaver
MSDMC
RED DMC #10527

Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 23:27:55 -0000
From: "EJ Chambers" <marmieej_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Console Clock

Hello:

My console clock seems to reset itself at randomly. One time it could
run for hours, other times minutes. Has anyone else seen this
issue/problem?

Thanks!
Ej

Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 23:39:19 -0000
From: "alistairmccann" <alistairmccann_at_dml_yahoo.com>

As an Irish member, I know this story too well.

The theory had always been that the body panel moulds had been
chucked into Galway bay as weights for fishing nets - this story is
half true.

When the factory was closed down and sold off piece by piece, the
body moulds were left to rust at a belfast scrap yard.  When J.Z
tried to buy them a few months later the government had them sold to
a fishery firm in Kerry who used the moulds as weights for their
lobster pots.  THEY HAVE BEEN FOUND, and should hopefully soon be
back on dry land.

Other people who I have talked to that worked for Delorean mentioned
engines being chopped up with grinders and drills so that they could
not be used again and PRV moulds being used as fish ponds in
Belfast!!

The story about the cars being dumped into the sea is rubbish, why
would a firm looking to make money from a bankrupt company throw
perfectly sellable $25,000 cars into the sea!!

Alistair McCann
Vin# pilot25

Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 16:04:40 -0700
From: "Gary Hull" <Specialty_at_dml_IN2TIME.com>

I've see only one that was clearcoated. I believe it was in the Crawford
museum. I do remember that the finish was not uniform - in that it had hazy
areas.  The initial problem I see with clearcoating is that you would not
have a primer to bond to the metal.

Here is a product that uses shading and clearcoating on stainless.

http://casketxpress.com/show/Stainless+Steel.html

Gary
IN2TIME

Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 23:59:22 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

I too have been curious about this but I have never investigated.
The process might also cause the surface to be cooler like painted
cars. Maybe someone has a spare panel they could "sacrifice" for a
test.

Harold McElraft - 3354

Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 00:07:20 -0000
From: "jerry_condray" <genghis007_at_dml_sctelcom.net>
Subject: Full opening window conversions?

Is some kit available?  What components would be used and where are
they available?  What would they cost?  Any interchangability with
the Bricklin?

Thanks, Jerry.

Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 00:18:12 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

http://www.dmcnews.com/Resource/bodydies/bodydies.html

Here's the last info that I received on the body dies. My
understanding is that they are still where they were dumped, although
the owners are considering pulling them up now if anyone is
interested in paying for the effort. Not that there's really any
demand at this point.

I've never heard a story about cars being dumped, that would make no
sense at all as the "receiver" of the company went to the effort to
complete unfinished cars as the 1983 models.

Dave S.

Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 03:40:27 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Refinishing the Binnacle

After reviewing all the suggestions and possabilities I went to a
wholesaler of body shop supplies and asked his opinion. He came up
with something interesting. He sold me a kit of materiels that the
body shops use to repair the elastermeric (flexible rubber) bumpers.
It is basically 2 tubes of epoxy that you mix in equal parts and
spread on and build up like body filler. Unlike body filler it will
remain flexible. I tried it and although it will not ever be exactly
like the origional with the textured surface it came out really nice.
I sprayed it with vinyl dye and if you don't look very close at it you
could not tell that it was all cracked up and faded. I am redying ALL
the vinyl surfaces in the car so everything will match up. It is
coming out very nice. The only drawback is that any stiching will also
become the color of the dye too. The kit cost $35, the sandpaper 180 #
and 240 # and the vinyl dye (2 cans about $5 each). A whole lot less
than $400 for Just Dashes! Cheaper than most shops get to recover in
vinyl or leather too. Best of all I don't have the seam on the bottom
which they all would have to do. I still have to reglue the black
plastic insert back in but I am pleased with the result. The big
unknown is how it will last and if other cracks will appear.