From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2177
Date: Monday, August 16, 2004 11:54 AM

1. Re: Full opening window conversions?
From: ComposerZelgadis_at_dml_aol.com

2. Re: Re: DeLorean's dumped into the sea?
From: "Randy Atamaniuk" <martydmc_at_dml_telus.net>

3. Re: How long is too long?
From: "dmclassicar" <dmclassicar_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. wiring for engine compartment
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

5. Painting the fibreglass?
From: nicholden_at_dml_yahoo.com

6. Console Clock
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com

7. Re: Ignition experiments
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

8. XM Radio Antenna Location
From: "bkp944" <bk_pollard_at_dml_hotmail.com>

9. Re: After MArket Cruise Control Removal...Help! :)
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

10. Re: car cleaning
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

11. RE: Need to extract a broken bolt.
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

12. RE: XM Radio Antenna Location
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

13. Re: After MArket Cruise Control Removal...Help! :)
From: "Jim Reeve" <jim.reeve_at_dml_wayzata.k12.mn.us>

14. Re: XM Radio Antenna Location
From: "Hank" <henry_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>

15. Re: XM Radio Antenna Location
From: "Jim Reeve" <jim.reeve_at_dml_wayzata.k12.mn.us>

16. Re: Full opening window conversions?
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

17. Re: Refinishing the Binnacle
From: chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com

18. Re: car cleaning
From: "dmcorlando2003" <SundeQuick_at_dml_aol.com>

19. RE: XM Radio Holder
From: "Wizard" <wizard_at_dml_tdgllc.com>

20. Re: Full opening window conversions?
From: "Joseph Molino" <foxmul_at_dml_bellatlantic.net>

21. Re: XM Radio Antenna Location
From: "bkp944" <bk_pollard_at_dml_hotmail.com>

22. RE: car cleaning
From: "Jack Stiefel" <jackstiefel_at_dml_stiefelaluminum.com>

23. Re: XM Radio Antenna Location
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

24. Which aftermarket cruise control system?
From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>

25. Re: XM Radio Antenna Location
From: "Jim Reeve" <jim.reeve_at_dml_wayzata.k12.mn.us>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 01:35:15 EDT
From: ComposerZelgadis_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Full opening window conversions?

To Jerry, and the rest of the DML,

This is something I had often wondered about myself.  But after  looking at a
few photographs, I came to the conclusion that it's not  an option, because
of the curvature of the gull-winged doors.  I welcome  correction from the DML
members, but it would seem to me that a full-window  kit just wouldn't fit
(and have the ability to "roll down" all the way... it  would be possible to have
*some* of the window lowered, but surely not all of  it).  I personally do
not own a DeLorean yet, so I don't have one to check  for reference.  Hence why
I welcome correction from owners.

It is, however, in my opinion that if such an option were available, the
original factory would've implemented it.  Unless they simply wanted to be
different, which the DeLorean certainly is.

Hmm... *awaits replies from other DML'ers*

Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 23:38:04 -0600
From: "Randy Atamaniuk" <martydmc_at_dml_telus.net>
Subject: Re: Re: DeLorean's dumped into the sea?

This brings up another interesting rumor... not of any DeLorean's dumped
into the sea, but
buried beneath the earth.  Just recently there was an article printed in a
major automotive
publication about this rumor, and if my memory serves me correct, somebody
posted a link
about this here on the DML.

I first heard this story in 1993 at a Vintage/Exotic car dealership in
Orlando, owned by two
English gentlemen.  I had always taken this story with a grain of salt, or
speculated that the factual
information was about how Michael DeLorean (John's cousin) who owns the
Cadillac/DeLorean
dealership, had many brand new DeLorean's underground (in a underground
parking garage).  But
this story of actual cars being buried under the earth seems to be popping
up again.

Just curious on what the DeLorean community's thoughts are on this subject.

Randy Atamaniuk
Vin #16353

www.stainlesssteelproductions.com
www.bttf.com | www.bttf.net

Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 11:15:50 -0000
From: "dmclassicar" <dmclassicar_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: How long is too long?

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_a...>
wrote:
> I find this hard to understand. This does not sound like PJ Grady -
> not even close. There has got to be more to it than this. Also, if
> it has been sitting outside for the last 3 years - untouched,
you've
> got more problems than a transmission.
>
> Harold McElraft - 3354
>

> --- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Ralph Isenberg, III"
> <delorean1981dmc_at_dml_h...> wrote:
> > Just a followup to my original post of last September. Still
> nothing done to the car that we know of. It was shipped to PJ Grady
in 2001,
> needing a new automatic transmission.

You say you gave him 5000K and your Delorean,and he just parks it
outside all these years,without even starting it once in a while,well
i hope you got a reciept,from him for the work to be done,as right
now,if the car has been sitting untouched for three years,its gonna
NEED,the fuel system totally redone,not to mention the master
cylinder,and possible interior work(cracked dash/barnicle/bleached
faded interior ect)tires might have dry rotted/cracked, brake rotors
are  solidly rusted(need to be turned)just pray your frame did not
rustout while sitting,if it was parked in a dirt yard,chances are you
GOT some frame rust in those three years of being parked.Your battery
is of course SHOT by now,just hope no windows were left open/or your
car had a leak problem,as the mold and mildew,would be like a mini
jungle in there,in effect what you own now(assuming all the above)is
a parts car or a total Delorean restoration project car.Usually in
the fine print,they state they are not responsible,for your car while
it is waiting for the repairs,that is if you signed a repair
order,your best bet is to see a lawyer,as NO repair shop,expecially
one that claims to be the"best" DMC shop around should treat a
customer,as badly as you have been treated,there is no excuse,that
they can come up with,to counterclaim,the misuse of your money and
your Delorean.In fact I think he should keep your Delorean,and in
turn just GIVE you a PJ grady "rebuilt" Delorean,and just pay him for
the orignal repairs,that were supposed to have been done.Let us know
of the end results.

dmclassicar
Bruno

Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 11:47:51 -0000
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>
Subject: wiring for engine compartment

Does anyone have a nice wiring diagram that details what color wires
go where in the engine compartment?  The diagram in the service
manual is worthless because of its size.  I would prefer a digital
format.

Also, just where is that capacitor (the one hooked up to the yellow
wire) get screwed down?  I see some cars have them on the side of
the air sensor plate, while other cars have them underneath the
ignition coil cover.  Just needs to find ground somewhere, I assume.

thanks,

Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 07:59:15 -0000
From: nicholden_at_dml_yahoo.com
Subject: Painting the fibreglass?

Hi, while i have my body off and access is great i was going to take
the oppotunity to paint the fibreglass in the engine bay/
gards/underbody etc.... Not sure if it is painted already or if it's
just a black gel coat, but the black is a little uneven and looks
old. I was thinking of spraying it with a black underbody paint
either a bitchumen or rubberbased one that needs no priming. Has
anyone ever used these products or any other suggestions would be
appreciated.

Cheers, NICK 10927

Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 08:00:55 EDT
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Console Clock

Sounds to me like you have a loose wire or connection.

Dave and 6530

Message: 5
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 23:27:55 -0000
From: "EJ Chambers" <marmieej_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Hello:

My  console clock seems to reset itself at randomly. One time it could
run for  hours, other times minutes. Has anyone else seen  this
issue/problem?

Thanks!
Ej

Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 05:44:30 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Ignition experiments

ECU doesn't "send signals" to the coil. All it does is remove the
ground, allowing coil to build up a charge (White/Slate current goes
from the coil to the ECU, not the other way 'round).

Performance coils like Pertronix and MSD are able to build a charge
with very short dwell times, BTW, which means they won't fail to do so
at higher RPM's.

Distributor lead will pulse if the coil windings are OK and the ECU is
properly breaking ground, irrespective of what the plugs are doing.
Speaking of which, have you visually examined the plugs yet? If
something bad has happened to their electrodes, they could indeed not
be firing at higher RPM's (increased cylinder pressures). See the pic
in #5939's photo album of what a vacuum leak did to mine over a single
400 mile highway trip.

Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 13:01:10 -0000
From: "bkp944" <bk_pollard_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: XM Radio Antenna Location

I am considering installing a XM Satellite Radio system in my
DeLorean, but am not sure where to place the antenna.

Any XM-equipped DeLoreans out there? Where did you place your
antenna?

-Brian
VIN# 4494

Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 07:29:24 -0500
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: After MArket Cruise Control Removal...Help! :)

I am not worried about this i guess because out of all of the deloreans
with cruise control i have never heard of this happening before. This
sounds like the last post about cars being dumped into the sea on the
DML, just a rumor.

I will instal my cruise control and keep all of you posted after the
installation about this cable falling off rumor.

Mark V

Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 08:10:19 -0500
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>
Subject: Re: car cleaning

Micheal,

Your statement that clear coat will not stick to stainless is incorrect.
 My car has been clear coated for over 7 years.   It has never peeled or
delaminated.
It was at Pigeon Forge.

BOB

Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 06:49:24 -0500
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Need to extract a broken bolt.

Since extractors are so hard you can forget about drilling them out. Its
best to NOT use extractors at all, unless everything else has been tried and
failed. Extractors, being so hard. are also very brittle and they very often
break.

Two options possible options:

1. Arc weld something to the end of the stud. Then *pulse* the welder
repeatedly to heat the oxides/gunk that is binding it to the piece its stuck
in. This can burn away the bad stuff and loosen the bolt. (Disconnect
eletronics in the vehicle before you do this to reduce the possibility of
frying something.)

2. Some machine shops have electric spark discharge disintegrators that can
literally "eat" a broken stud right out of a hole.

Also, talk to your closest engine rebuilding shop. They deal with this kind
of problem frequently and may be your best local resource.

-Joe

Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 08:34:58 -0500
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: XM Radio Antenna Location

On top of the dash just above the AC outlets works pretty well.

-Joe kuchan

Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 13:45:36 -0000
From: "Jim Reeve" <jim.reeve_at_dml_wayzata.k12.mn.us>

This is not a myth and does happen.  I have seen it occur very
frequently on some cars, but very rarely on most (like my own).
Before you install, I would play around with your throttle spool to
see if anything happens to your cable while your doing that.  Even if
it doesn't I would recommend extending the channels for the main
throttle cable with some thin sheets of aluminum (think pop can) that
will keep it aligned with the spool when opened up.

Jim Reeve
MNDMC - Minnesota DeLorean Club
DMC6960

Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 09:47:12 -0400
From: "Hank" <henry_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>

I had installed an XM radio for the trip to Pigeon Forge.

The first thing you'll realize is that the magnetic antenna they provide isn't very useful, since there aren't any good metallic areas on the Delorean to attach it!   I resorted to using Velcro.

I tried two locations - luckily they include just enough antenna wire to snake the wire under the interior trim and door molding to make it pretty much invisible.   The first location was to snake the wire up and under the rear door seal to the T panel, and out the back of the roof near where the door meets the rear of the T panel, and attached the antenna to the top most rear louver.   It worked pretty well there, but the antenna wire got a little stripped where it crossed over from the inside compartment to the outside under the door seal.  The other location was to do pretty much the same thing, but to the front of the car, and I attached the antenna to the center of the top black metal piece that the windshield is mounted in.    Both installations were "quick and dirty" since I didn't have anytime before PF to do a real permanent install.

DMCH says they've mounted the antenna inside/under the front fascia with good results.  I might have tried that if I had time to.  Sounds as good as any, assuming the fascia doesn't interfere with the radio reception.

The instructions also say that the antenna needs a large magnetic area to enhance the signal reception.  I had very little single loss with mounting it on the louvers or the front mount with Velcro.  I'm sure it helps, but probably only in marginal reception areas.

-Hank

Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 13:36:52 -0000
From: "Jim Reeve" <jim.reeve_at_dml_wayzata.k12.mn.us>

I installed an XM-Commander into my car this spring.  I mounted the
display unit where the clock/dimmer go (I cut a hole into the shifter
plate), the controll module behind the rear wall on the drivers side,
and the antenna I mounted on the rear-center of the top louver.  The
antenna was magnetic and since the louvers are not, I used a small
dab of urethane adheasive to glue it on.  The wire I ran under the
top louver and glued it in place with a continuous bead of black
sillicone.  The antenna wire then went down the open channel in the
quarter panel, into the pontoon via the engine cover relase cable
grommet, and the passenger compartment via the engine release again.
I'll take specific pictures if you'd like.

Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 09:41:15 -0500
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

Composer,

The 97 Delorean Time Machine WITH REAL FULL SIZE POWER WINDOWS has been
at the Delorean Car show in Cincinnati, Cleveland, and PF.

The windows were first installed back in 1996 and an article on them was
published in Delorean World Magazine.

After this article I received a call from John Delorean about the
windows.   He wanted to know how I did it because "my engineers worked
on it for two years and could not figure out how to do it."   After I
explained why I thought his engineers could not do it because of the
typical "mindset" of where the window goes and where the drive
mechanisms goes his response was "you a dam good engineer."

John was in Cleveland as many of you know.   He sat in my car and tried
the full size power windows and was really impressed.  He said "if I had
engineers like you working for me I might still be in business today."

Yes, there is room for installing full size power windows, you just have
to be creative on your design details.

I have another set of full size power windows (I had duplicates made in
1996)  that I am planning on installing on my stock Delorean for DCS
2006.   I also plan to offer rides in the car so people can experience
the totally different feel of driving a Delorean with full size windows.

IF time permits, I will do another article for Ken Magazine on the
detailed installation of these windows.

BOB

Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 14:52:04 -0000
From: chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com
Subject: Re: Refinishing the Binnacle

David......I have a can of dye that is a perfect match for my grey
interior. It is "Nu-Life" Color Spray #614 Grey. Hope this helps.

> After reviewing all the suggestions and possabilities I went to a
> wholesaler of body shop supplies and asked his opinion. He came up
> with something interesting. He sold me a kit of materiels that the
> body shops use to repair the elastermeric (flexible rubber)
bumpers.
> It is basically 2 tubes of epoxy that you mix in equal parts and
> spread on and build up like body filler. Unlike body filler it will
> remain flexible. I tried it and although it will not ever be
exactly
> like the origional with the textured surface it came out really
nice.
> I sprayed it with vinyl dye and if you don't look very close at it
you
> could not tell that it was all cracked up and faded. I am redying
ALL

Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 15:11:55 -0000
From: "dmcorlando2003" <SundeQuick_at_dml_aol.com>

Well obviously for you it has worked.  =)

...Is yours a daily driver?  Just curious...I anmd still curious
about durability because of no primer/etching etc to help the clear
coat bond to the metal....

Michael

Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 11:11:38 -0400
From: "Wizard" <wizard_at_dml_tdgllc.com>
Subject: RE: XM Radio Holder

I purchased a cell phone holder from Radio Shack that has a long
adjustable arm with a suction cup to stick onto the windshield.  I
turned the holder sideways and the XM Roady fits in it perfectly.

Jason

Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 11:27:58 -0400
From: "Joseph Molino" <foxmul_at_dml_bellatlantic.net>

Dear Bob,

Is there any way you would publish your plans for the window system so
others could duplicate it, or make up some kits yourself for sale (if you
wanted to protect your idea)?  It sounds truly amazing.

Joseph M.

Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 15:43:43 -0000
From: "bkp944" <bk_pollard_at_dml_hotmail.com>

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_h...>
wrote:
> On top of the dash just above the AC outlets works pretty well.
>
> -Joe kuchan

I am planning to buy the Delphi Roady 2 kit. In the owner's manual,
they make this statement:

"Important: Do not install antenna inside
vehicle passenger compartment. Mounting
the antenna in the passenger compartment
either on the front dashboard or on the rear
window deck area of the vehicle will cause
reception issues and must be avoided.
Mounting the antenna on a non-metallic
surface will also result in severe degradation
in reception."

What brand to you have?

-Brian
VIN# 4494

Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 11:57:37 -0400
From: "Jack Stiefel" <jackstiefel_at_dml_stiefelaluminum.com>

But if memory is correct, yours was a trashed painted car before you bought
it and any prep work for painting or clear coating was already done by PO.
Further I believe and correct me again, but your grain is non-existent
anymore.  I remember is looking kinda funny under the clear coat.

Jack Stiefel
www.fmtimemachine.com
Direct listen link: www.live365.com/stations/radiocape

Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 11:04:34 -0500
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

I know the instructions say that but my son did not want to alter the car in
any way to install it (it is on his car) so he experimented with it inside
the car, and believe it or not it works quite well. He actually fished the
wires through the ac outlet somehow.

I'm afraid I do not remember the brand he has.

Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 16:42:11 -0000
From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>
Subject: Which aftermarket cruise control system?

Yeah, I read the posts of the past few days about this. No, I don't
think it's dangerous. The wire spooling is a minor issue that can be
worked around. I drove my DeLorean for over 6 hours yesterday and my
right leg felt like it was going to fall off. It's time for cruise
control, baby.

The big question: Which system should I buy?

1. I want an electrical solenoid. I do NOT want to tap into my vaccumn
system.

2. I'm of the understanding that you can buy a small flat sensor that
goes in between the speedo cable and the lambda sensor, and would like
to go that route.

Are there any decent cruise control systems that offer the above two
options?

Thank you in advance,

Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 16:30:00 -0000
From: "Jim Reeve" <jim.reeve_at_dml_wayzata.k12.mn.us>

I'm not sure of the technical details why that is stated.  I'm
guessing just for quality purposes to reduce reception complaints.
What it needs is a view obscured by no metal at the two sattelites
(generally in a southerly direction).  I know it can see through
glass and carpet. Theoreticly it should see the signal through the
urethane of the fascias and whatever the louvers are made out of.
When traveling east passing a semi, the height of the truck
obstructed my antenna's view, and my signal cut out until I finished
passing it.  Same thing when passing slowly under a bridge (rebar is
horrible for RF signals)  If my antenna had a metallic surface
contact instead of being on the louvers, it might help reception in
those situations, but I dont know.  If you have it on your dash and
are moving north, it probably wouldn't interfere in a DeLorean
(because of our windshield's angle), but another car it would.  I
have another XM unit on the back shelf of my Subaru.  Its rear window
angle is similar to the DeLorean's windshield, and I have not had
reception issues except for the truck/bridge thing.