From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2178
Date: Monday, August 16, 2004 8:04 PM

1. Re: XM Radio Antenna Location
From: "bkp944" <bk_pollard_at_dml_hotmail.com>

2. headlite switch
From: <docrth_at_dml_verizon.net>

3. re: XM Radio Antenna Location - fascia
From: "Mike Walsh" <yahoo_at_dml_oneskydojo.com>

4. Re: XM Radio Antenna Location
From: Jeff Angwin <jeff_at_dml_angwin.us>

5. Re: Which aftermarket cruise control system?
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

6. Re: Ignition experiments
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

7. Re: XM Radio Antenna Location
From: Peter Lucas <lucas_at_dml_Maya.com>

8. Re: Which aftermarket cruise control system?
From: Jeff Angwin <jeff_at_dml_angwin.us>

9. Found the source of my idle problems
From: Phil Priestley <phil_at_dml_alessandros120.com>

10. Re: XM Radio Antenna Location
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

11. Re: 97 Delorean Mechanical upgrades
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

12. hood style
From: "Colby" <cbhardison_at_dml_yahoo.com>

13. Re: DeLorean's dumped into the sea?
From: "thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_cox.net>

14. Re: DeLorean's dumped into the sea?
From: "erikgeerdink" <erikgeerdink_at_dml_yahoo.com>

15. Re: Which aftermarket cruise control system?
From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>

16. Re: Re: DeLorean's dumped into the sea?
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

17. Re: Refinishing the Binnacle
From: Steve Stankiewicz <protodelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

18. Fall Foliage Tour Oct 16th and 17th update.
From: "turbodmc3113" <turbodmc_at_dml_hotmail.com>

19. RE: XM Radio Antenna Location
From: "Service" <service_at_dml_techno-concepts.com>

20. Re: Which aftermarket cruise control system?
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

21. I Hate To Throw Anything Away - Key
From: "willytrash" <wlbayliss_at_dml_aol.com>

22. Re: headlite switch
From: andydandy777_at_dml_aol.com

23. Re: wiring for engine compartment
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

24. Re: headlite switch
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

25. Re: Refinishing the Binnacle
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

26. Re: Need to extract a broken bolt.
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 16:41:16 -0000
From: "bkp944" <bk_pollard_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: XM Radio Antenna Location

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_h...>
wrote:
> I know the instructions say that but my son did not want to alter
the car in <SNIP>

That is good information to know. I actually had a couple ideas
where to mount the antenna - one under the cowl screen at the bottom
of the windshield. The other location was on one of the pontoons,
with line of sight through one of the rear quarter panel's glass
panels.

One other DML'r has said he tried the cowl screen method and the
reception was marginal.

If yours is working OK "looking" through the windshield, maybe there
is hope in mounting the antenna on a pontoon with it "looking"
through one of the quarter panel glass panels. I too would like to
hide the antenna as much as possible.

Thanks for the help. I'll let everyone know what works when I get
the set.

-Brian
VIN# 4494

Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 12:01:44 -0500
From: <docrth_at_dml_verizon.net>
Subject: headlite switch

> Can anybody help me find a headlite switch?
I have hi beam, but not low!

RTH St Pete, FL

Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 17:05:16 -0000
From: "Mike Walsh" <yahoo_at_dml_oneskydojo.com>
Subject: re: XM Radio Antenna Location - fascia

I am glad this came up. I was planning on installing a GPS antenna
that looks like a miniature computer mouse. It could mount on the
louvers (or even under them) but because urethane is supposed to be
invisible to radio waves I was thinking of installing duel antennas,
in the front and rear fascias. The antennas will probably have to be
mounted the correct side up and might need some kind of mount to
orient them the right way.

I don't see why any antennas can't be mounted in the fascias. The
only problem I can see is that they will not get 360 degrees
visibility so a duel setup with one front and rear might be the best.
Be careful running the cable not to have any sharp angles or running
it close to sources of RF interference.

- Mike
#17084
(gov't computer fix-it guy)

Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 10:18:43 -0700
From: Jeff Angwin <jeff_at_dml_angwin.us>

Mine's a Kenwood / Sirius, but the electronics are the same.

I mounted my antenna on the engine cover, as I did not want it to show
anywhere, but still be easy to install and service.

I (OK, DMC Garden Grove) created a metal plate, painted black, that is
attached on top of the passenger side perforated grill. The antenna is
then glued onto the plate. I did find that the nearby fender
occasionally blocks the signal, so mounting it as far left (to the
center of the car, and away from the fender) will improve reception. The
positioning of the antenna here, makes the wiring very simple too. Just
snake it into the engine compartment and though the pontoon to the
rear-shelf wiring area. From there, you can route it anywhere you want
to. My receiver is mounted on the back of the carpeted rear bulkhead
cover just behind the parcel shelf.

Some who have seen this setup are surprised that I mounted it under the
louver, thinking that the louver will block the signal. But since the
louver is plastic, the signal passes right through.

Jeff
VIN 3034

Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 12:07:48 -0500
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Which aftermarket cruise control system?

May i ask why you dont want to tap in to the vacuum system?

Mark V

Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 17:29:23 -0000
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Re: Ignition experiments

I respectfully disagree, (partially). The manual clearly states that
the ECU converts and amplifies signals from the pulse coil in the
dizzy and sends them to the coil. I do think I understand what you're
saying though.

The ECU switches ground on and off to the coil, allowing the magnetic
field to build and collapse as needed to the high voltages necessary
to fire a spark plug.

I'm still waiting to hear from anyone who's had good results with the
Bosch 18Kv coil. :)

As far as checking my plugs goes...I've ordered a new set anyway so
I'll be checking them when I replace them this week.

Rich A.

Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 13:44:52 -0400
From: Peter Lucas <lucas_at_dml_Maya.com>

On Aug 16, 2004, at 12:30 PM, Jim Reeve wrote:

> I'm not sure of the technical details why that is stated.  I'm
> guessing just for quality purposes to reduce reception complaints.

Many antenna designs really do depend on a metallic horizontal ground
plane immediately below the antenna to perform properly. It can make a
big difference, but of course if your signal is strong enough it
doesn't matter much.  One idea would be to use the magnetic mount to
center the antenna on the engine cover.  That way it wouldn't be
conspicuous, and you would have sight lines through the side windows
and up through the non-metallic louvers.

Of course this would compromise the utility of this spot as a keep-warm
pizza carrier.  :-)

--Pete Lucas

Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 10:30:52 -0700
From: Jeff Angwin <jeff_at_dml_angwin.us>

That's the one that I have. Electronics fit into the rear-drivers side
pontoon, with just a cable coming out to attach to the throttle spool.
The sensor is a Delco unit that fits inline to the speedo cable under
the dash. The control is a stick that is mounted just behind the turn
signal stick. It works great!

DMC Garden Grove supplied it and did the installation. Not sure who the
maker is, but I will find out and post with the details. Or, you can
always purchase the whole thing ready to go from DMCGG.

Jeff
VIN 3034

Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 12:03:35 -0700
From: Phil Priestley <phil_at_dml_alessandros120.com>
Subject: Found the source of my idle problems

Last week I posted about how my car would spit and sputter until it
warmed up and it seemed to be the same problem that someone else on the
list was having.  After sending it to the shop to have the CIS checked
over the problem was determined to be the thermal vacuum switch in the
coolant pipe. Darn! I just replaced it with a new one 3 months ago.

The TVS has failed and is now operating in reverse of the way that it
should. When the car is cold, it shuts off vacuum to the CPR/warmup
regulator, then right at the temperature when it should close, it opens
sending constant vacuum to the CPR. It seems to open and close on a
whim which is why sometimes it starts up just fine and other times not.
I have a feeling that the piece inside the TVS that shuts off vacuum is
loose and flopping around which would explain the erratic vacuum
fluctuations that were measured at the cpr.

I'm not looking forward to pulling the intake again to change that.

Phil Priestley
Alessandros 120
http://alessandros120.com/
(503)370-9951

Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 13:04:33 -0500
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

You can try the pontoon, but that is one of the many failed locations my son
did try. Not sure why one spot inside the glass is better than another, but
in my son's cae it just did not work well on the pontoon.

Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 12:40:49 -0500
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>
Subject: Re: 97 Delorean Mechanical upgrades

[MODERATOR NOTE - Also see http://www.delorean-midwest.org/97d.html]

For those new comers to the list who are unfamiliar with the mechanical
upgrades to the 97 DeLorean Time Machine,

I wrote four articles in DeLorean World About the upgrades.  and a fifth
article about dyno testing the various engine upgrades.

In addition,  I made a 30 minute movie about the mechanical upgrades.
I sold VHS copies back in 1997.

The upgrades included:

Aluminum V-8
4 speed automatic tip tronic
Larger radiator
larger cooling pipes with less connections
Greasable tie rod ends
Full size power windows
eye brow fix brackets
larger alternator
clear coat paint of the stainless panels
etc.

BOB

Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 19:28:07 -0000
From: "Colby" <cbhardison_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: hood style

I heard that there were three different hood styles that were made
for the Delorean.  Is there anywhere that I can find pictures
comparing these.

Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 19:46:15 -0000
From: "thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Re: DeLorean's dumped into the sea?

Well, here's what I was told about the fabled "buried cars" of
DeLorean.

During one of our recent local club get togethers, we had a guest
speaker who was involved in the production of the taillights.  When
questioned about the buried cars, he told us that the cars that were
buried were the mules and not any completed models.  These mules are
briefly touched on in Stainless Illusion.

>From what I understand, these cars were terrible vehilces and you
really didn't want to even touch them because of the rough fiberglass
bodies.  Lotus had control of these test vehicles and after DMC went
south, the mules were smashed at a wreaking junkyard and then buried
on site.

If I remember correctly, it was about 20 mules.

So if you decide to get out your metal detector and go DeLorean
hunting, you may be in for some disapointment.

No stainless panels were harmed in the making of this thread.

Johnny
5518

Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 20:01:19 -0000
From: "erikgeerdink" <erikgeerdink_at_dml_yahoo.com>

[MODERATOR NOTE - you'll have to paste the URL back together]

Below is the link to the buried deloreans.  The article is posted on
the DOC UK webpage.

http://www.deloreans.co.uk/features/inthepress/articles/practical_clas
sics_07_02.jpg

Erik
04512

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Randy Atamaniuk" <martydmc_at_dml_t...>

Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 20:12:08 -0000
From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>

Less interference with the stock system. The more you hack & add to a
basic configuration, the more prone said configuration is to problems.

I'd rather draw a tiny bit of power that will have zero impact on my
electrical system than draw from a vaccumn system that directly
impacts whether my engine runs or not, how well it runs, and my
climate control system.

Just a personal preference, really.

-Ryan

Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 13:28:46 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: DeLorean's dumped into the sea?

Q: Why would the British government toss the dies in
to the sea?  they could have sold them to recoup some
of their losses.

A: Sometimes people (and governments) do things like
this.  :)

What of the rumors that KPAC destroyed a lot of parts
because they were loosing some of the storage space
they had in Ohio..   (HEARSAY) many fascias were
tossed in to the shredder.

<SNIP>

Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 13:55:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: Steve Stankiewicz <protodelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Refinishing the Binnacle

If there's anyone considering a recovered binnacle,
but not yet willing to sacrifice their original one, I
have one I'd be willing to sell.  All of the old vinyl
has already been removed and new foam installed.  (I
can send pics) It's ready for black or grey
vinyl/leather to be applied.  Any serious offers will
be entertained.  Please contace me off list.

=====
Steve

VIN 2650 ("Project Delorean")
www.projectdelorean.com

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 21:41:11 -0000
From: "turbodmc3113" <turbodmc_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Fall Foliage Tour Oct 16th and 17th update.

Some of you may have had trouble booking your rooms for the Fall
Tour, it looks like we have resolved any registration problems.

To get the special rate of $159 +tax including breakfast (regular
rate is $199) you must call (516) 671-6400 ask for reservations and
tell them that you want one of the blocked out rooms for the
"Fall Tour Five"  I also have a limited number of rooms
blocked out for Friday Oct 15th for the people who want to make it a
3 day weekend.

This is really a terrific  Gold Coast mansion that looks like
the former DeLorean estate in N.J.
This could be called the Live The Dream Tour because it truly is a
remarkable location for the Tour (see pictures on the DeLorean Mid-
Atlantic web page).
http://www.deloreanmidatlantic.com/events/falltour5.htm .

Important Note:
If you are thinking about attending please reserve a room.
You are at no risk because you can cancel up to 24 hours before the
date at no cost. If we book the limited number of rooms that have
been set aside early enough they have agreed to give us more rooms at
the special rate.

If you have any problems with registration or questions about the 5th
anuall Delorean fall Foiliage Tour please feel free to contact me.

Regards,

Michael DeLuca
President DeLorean Mid-Atlantic Club
http://www.deloreanmidatlantic.com

Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 17:06:15 -0400
From: "Service" <service_at_dml_techno-concepts.com>

Some people have seen my car in Pigeon Forge (the car with the Blue
stripe)and you don't see any antenna's
I installed Sirius Satilite antenna. And GPS antenna about 2 years and ago
in the rear fascia it works real well on cloudy day and facing south rear
facing north
Some outage occurs I did try it under dash for a week pontoon,front-fascia,
back window ect. The highest point with no obstruction is the best just fish
though engine release cable hole to the back fascia without making any holes
or mods to the car.

Ken #02700

Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 22:04:49 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

The issue of the cable going slack and getting caught is important.
The way I see it done successfully on modern production cars is with
bead chain inside a stiff plastic tube. It doesn't get caught and can
absorb a lot of lost motion. Go take a walk around some junkyards and
I am sure you will find plenty of materiel to work with.

Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 22:17:28 -0000
From: "willytrash" <wlbayliss_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: I Hate To Throw Anything Away - Key

    I just found something that might be of interest to you guys. I
was the original of a 1981 DMC. And I just found the key to the car
that I couldn't find when I sold it. I sold it to a guy who lived in
Green Bay WI. back in 1990(approx.),don't know who he is now. The key
has the key tag on it which reads #7361, it also has stamped on key
NSP? The car was a late model without the gas filler door on the
hood. Also on the back bumper has the dealer name which was Goldsmith
Cadillac from Jamaca, New York. The car was a stick with gray leather
and about 16,000 back in 1990. If anybody can figure out who would
need the key for this car, I'll be glad to send it to them. I hate to
throw a key away that says DMC on it.

Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 18:19:33 EDT
From: andydandy777_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: headlite switch

In a message dated 8/16/2004 2:45:41 PM Central Daylight Time,
docrth_at_dml_verizon.net writes:

>  Can anybody help me find a headlite switch?
I have hi beam, but not  low!

RTH St Pete, FL

I had this same problem, I guess you checked the fuse for the low beams,  and
the low beam relay, in my case it was the fuse.
Andy03513

Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 22:38:50 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: wiring for engine compartment

Go to the website for the Zilla products. He has just what you are
looking for and when you buy it you also make a contribution to help
fight Parkinson's.

Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 22:49:35 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Before you go buying a headlight switch you should make sure it is not
fuse or a relay. Fuse # 14 is for the low beams and relay # 19 is for
the low beams. You can swap it with the # 20 relay and see if you get
the low beams back and lose the high beams. It could also be a problem
in the  dip switch. Do you really mean the headlight switch (which
selects the headlights and the parking lights) or the dip switch (the
one in the steering column) which switches the high-low beams? Two
different problems. Refer to Workshop Manual M:18:11 for the wiring of
the headlight circuit.

Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 22:41:17 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

I am using Plasticote #408 Charchol Grey. It is perfect and I got it
in Pep Boys. It is only good for the vinyl. I have to find the right
stuff for the carper and the leather next.

Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 22:36:50 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Need to extract a broken bolt.

All of this is helpful but I have one more suggestion. I have been
able to drill out taps, extractors, and drills with something very
simple. Go to Home Depot or wherever and get a 1/2 dozen small carbide
drills that are used for drilling in cement or tile. You will burn
them up and have to resharpen them often but if you are patient and go
slowly it can be done. It is ESSENTIAL that you are dead center and
have the correct angle when drilling. Use a medium speed drill WITHOUT
PERCUSSION and use tapping fluid profusely to keep things cool and
remove chips. Good Luck!

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_h...> wrote:
> Since extractors are so hard you can forget about drilling them out.
Its