From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2180
Date: Tuesday, August 17, 2004 6:48 PM

1. DeLorean 2?
From: "Mark" <mark_at_dml_meninblack.ca>

2. RE: headlite switch
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

3. RE: Found the source of my idle problems
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

4. RE: XM Radio Antenna Location
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

5. No Parking Lights
From: "vtdmc" <wmack_at_dml_vt.edu>

6. Re: DeLorean's dumped into the sea? Thanks.
From: "Michael" <hopyardvmp_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. Re: DeLorean 2?
From: "thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_cox.net>

8. RE: XM Radio Antenna Location
From: "Gary Hull" <Specialty_at_dml_IN2TIME.com>

9. Re: hood style
From: "thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_cox.net>

10. Re: Found the source of my idle problems
From: PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com

11. Re: DeLorean 2?
From: "Richard" <dmc_driver_at_dml_yahoo.ca>

12. Re: Found the source of my idle problems
From: Phil Priestley <phil_at_dml_alessandros120.com>

13. Re: XM Radio Antenna Location
From: "Mike Walsh" <yahoo_at_dml_oneskydojo.com>

14. Re: No Parking Lights
From: "Richard" <dmc_driver_at_dml_yahoo.ca>

15. Re: wiring for engine compartment
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

16. RE: Found the source of my idle problems
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

17. VIN 16888
From: "Ryan" <boy1der18_at_dml_aol.com>

18. Re: wiring for engine compartment
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

19. Re: XM Radio Antenna Location
From: kevin creason <kcreason77_at_dml_yahoo.com>

20. RE: XM Radio Antenna Location
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

21. Re: Found the source of my idle problems
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

22. Re: headlite switch
From: Jan van de Wouw <delorean_at_dml_home.nl>

23. Re: Found the source of my idle problems
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

24. Re: DeLorean 2?
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>

25. RE: Re: DeLorean's dumped into the sea?
From: "Nelson, Allan" <abnelson_at_dml_waterousco.com>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 21:47:08 -0400
From: "Mark" <mark_at_dml_meninblack.ca>
Subject: DeLorean 2?

Hey all.

It's been a few years, but I recall seeing a webiste that promised the DMC^2
was in the works and on the way, and stories abound of a 500+ HP gull-winged
exotic that was going to bring the marque back to life.

I assume that JZD was unable to find adequate funding for this project, but
I'm wondering/hoping that this is an incorrect assumption.... anyone have
details about this?

Thanks.

Mark.

Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 23:13:49 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: headlite switch

Andy, If the plastic hasn't melted inside the switch I can normally fix
them.
I also have a Head light switch saver kit on the site also. If you don't
have it I would highly suggest it. The headlight switches aren't going to be
remade anytime soon.
John Hervey
http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/New-Delorean-Products.html

Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 23:27:59 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Found the source of my idle problems

Phil, I have the correct ones in stock and haven't ever had a recall. I
normally call them a ported vacuum switch.
John Hervey
http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/engine-2.html

Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 00:49:46 -0500
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: XM Radio Antenna Location

I am about to install both a GPS and a XM kit,
I already have the GPS hooked up and the antenna is on the windshield brow
now,
and people always ask me what it is and I have to explain, so I want to move
it.

I am going to repaint my rear louvers as well as install a 3rd brake light
kit.
So while a do all that I was thinking that the back louvers would be a great
place to
install these antennas...however there is no way to put a disconnect on them
if I
ever needed to take the louvers off.
So, I am going to toy with the idea of making a small black metal mounting
plate
that will attach to the bottom of the top louver with VHB tape and wrap
around
in a "D" shape over the top with the two antennas mounted to it.
The bottom of the top piece would have a piece of foam glued to it so that
it will not vibrate on the louver.

It might not be the prettiest thing out there, but it will give the best
performance
without making ANY sort of permanent modification to the car in any way,
can easily be removed or updated and will not hinder the use of the louvers.

You dig?
- Videobob
VIN#5278

Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 13:00:37 -0000
From: "vtdmc" <wmack_at_dml_vt.edu>
Subject: No Parking Lights

I have headlights, brake lights come on when the brake is applied.
Turn signals work when turned on.  Driving with just the parking
lights and headlights on, I get the left side parking lights on,
however no parking lights on the right side.  I have also noticed the
license plate lights are off and the headlight switch is not
illuminated.  I have checked all the fuses and they all seem to be
fine and not blown.
Could this possibly be a ground problem?  Where can I start
diagnosising? Voltage test?

Thanks
Willie

Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 09:55:00 -0000
From: "Michael" <hopyardvmp_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: DeLorean's dumped into the sea? Thanks.

Thanks to everyone who responded, your answers were very helpful.

Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 14:37:51 -0000
From: "thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Re: DeLorean 2?

The only way to find any info on this is from the wayback machine.
It just shows what you probably already know.

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://deloreantime.com

Johnny
5518

Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 07:22:20 -0700
From: "Gary Hull" <Specialty_at_dml_IN2TIME.com>

Bob,

Wouldn't the metal bracket wrapping over the top interfere with the
reception?

Gary
IN2TIME

Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 14:45:05 -0000
From: "thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Re: hood style

Go here: http://www.delorean-owners.org/legend/index.html

and click on Differences on the left.

Johnny
5518

Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 11:21:10 EDT
From: PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com

I am having this same problem most of the time, and assumed it was the warm
up regulator, so I ordered a new one from Hervey.   Basically when I start the
car and give it gas, it sputters and spits and will stall if I give it too
much gas.   I have to let it warm up for 5-10 minutes.   It is an annoying
problem that developed 5 days ago.   My gas mileage has also gone way down due to
whatever is happening.   I thought that this was a typical problem of when a
warm up regulator goes bad?   I may have bought something I don't need.

Patrick

Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 18:18:07 -0000
From: "Richard" <dmc_driver_at_dml_yahoo.ca>

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <mark_at_dml_m...> wrote:
> Hey all.
>
> It's been a few years, but I recall seeing a webiste that promised
the DMC^2-->
> Thanks.
>
> Mark.

That project seemed to have never made it past the initial design
phase and was consigned to the dust bin.  Sad, but true.

Richard Rowe

Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 09:06:02 -0700
From: Phil Priestley <phil_at_dml_alessandros120.com>

Thanks John,
The one that failed was purchased from DMCH about three months ago and
they are sending a replacement. I'm just not look forward to pulling
the intake to get to it.

I replaced it only because I had the intake out to replace the o-rings
and figured I wouldn't be in there for some time so I might as well
replace everything that is hidden. Warren at DMCH asked me if I really
wanted to spend the money to replace it since they almost never fail
but I went ahead and did it thinking It would be good for another 20
some years. Silly me. Should have stuck with the original one and saved
myself all the money and hassle.
Phil Priestley
Alessandros 120
http://alessandros120.com/
(503)370-9951

Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 14:43:05 -0000
From: "Mike Walsh" <yahoo_at_dml_oneskydojo.com>

Putting a 3rd brake light will probably mean drilling holes in the
louvers. The one I did a couple of weeks ago mounted on top of the
top louver. Why not build a plate that bolts on from the bottom of
the top louver using the bolts used to hold on the 3rd brake light?

The bracket can then extend past the top louver just enough to mount
the antenna (off to the side so the brake light is unobstructed).
>From there all the wire and cable will run under the top louver and
will not be visible. You can put a disconnect or some kind of a
wiring harness there that can be unclipped to take the louvers off if
you need to.

- Mike

Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 18:13:39 -0000
From: "Richard" <dmc_driver_at_dml_yahoo.ca>
Subject: Re: No Parking Lights

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "vtdmc" <wmack_at_dml_v...> wrote:

> I have headlights, brake lights come on when the brake is applied.
> Turn signals work when turned on.  Driving with just the parking
> lights and headlights on, I get the left side parking lights on,
> however no parking lights on the right side.  I have also noticed the
> license plate lights are off and the headlight switch is not
> illuminated.  I have checked all the fuses and they all seem to be
> fine and not blown.
> Could this possibly be a ground problem?  Where can I start
> diagnosising? Voltage test?
>
> Thanks
> Willie

Hi Willie,

I too, am having light problems, except it's the turn signals that
don't work, and all the fuses are fine as well.  By the way, when you
checked the fuses, did you just do a visual inspection?  Sometimes a
fuse can look ok but really isn't.  Pull them out and do a continuity
test with a multimeter for each fuse.  It would be a good idea to
clean the contacts as well.  Not much help, but that's all I can
suggest at this point.  Good luck.

Richard Rowe

Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 16:53:26 -0000
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>
Subject: Re: wiring for engine compartment

Haven't been able to get ahold of them for the past 2 days.  Does
anyone else sell this?

Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 13:18:49 -0500
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Are you sure that at some point you didn't accidentally reverse the vacuum
lines for the distributor vacuum solenoid and the warm up regulator?That's
what it sounds like. Why don't you just reverse the vac lines at those two
devices? That's sure a lot less work than excavating that TVS!

-Joe Kuchan

Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 19:05:42 -0000
From: "Ryan" <boy1der18_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: VIN 16888

I was wondering if anyone out there has any information on the
location and/or condition of VIN 16888.  It is a 1983 black auto.

thanks,
DMCBOI

Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 19:08:18 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

Actually it's not really what you are looking for, it's simply a
nicely cleaned up and larger version of the schematic in the manual.
Certainly an improvement over the manual, but still with many of the
same shortcomings as far as usefulness.

I've never seen a good color-coded wiring/location diagram, i.e. one
that would help you find and trace the wires in the real world. To me
the biggest failure on that factory diagram is that it does not show
any of the connectors, so finding test points is about impossible.

A good project for some really boring winter....

Dave S

Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 12:09:34 -0700 (PDT)
From: kevin creason <kcreason77_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Yikes!
don't drill holes. Just use double-sided automotive
tape to hold the lights and antenna up to the bottom
of the louvre.
My lights are so mounted to an L-bracket and then to
the louvre for about 2 years now.
I tried epoxy first, then the tape. Very happy.

Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 14:13:17 -0500
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

I think you are not visualizing what I am talking about.
The antennas would sit on top of the metal bracket.
They would be directly exposed to the sky.
- VB

Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 15:23:29 EDT
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

In a message dated 8/17/04 1:59:49 PM Central Daylight Time,
phil_at_dml_alessandros120.com writes:

> I replaced it only because I had the intake out to replace the o-rings
> and figured I wouldn't be in there for some time so I might as well
> replace everything that is hidden. Warren at DMCH asked me if I really
> wanted to spend the money to replace it since they almost never fail
> but I went ahead and did it thinking It would be good for another 20
> some years. Silly me. Should have stuck with the original one and saved
> myself all the money and hassle.
> Phil Priestley
> Alessandros 120
> http://alessandros120.com/
> (503)370-9951

Back in the day, DMC Joe advised me not to mess with replacing the thermal
control valve or other switches under the intake for the same reasons - they
rarely fail.

Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 21:23:32 +0200
From: Jan van de Wouw <delorean_at_dml_home.nl>

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 12:01:44 -0500, someone wrote:

>> Can anybody help me find a headlite switch?
> I have hi beam, but not low!

Did you check the relays??? Do they get power???
Are the Fuses OK??? Fuse #15 _at_dml_ 20Amps is for High beams...

JAN van de Wouw

Thinking Different...   Using a Mac...

#05141 "Dagger" since Sept. 2000
--------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 19:28:39 -0000
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

Patrick,

I had this problem with my car, and it disappeared completely after
I replaced all of my vacuum hoses with Hervey's silicone kit, as
well as the intake manifold o-rings, fuel injector seals, and ported
vacuum switch.  Mine only did it after you got past 3500 RPM or so
though.  It was also hesitant when accelerating when the engine was
cold.

Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 19:44:30 -0000
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Mark, Im hoping right along with you. Sounds like it would have been
an incredible machine....I can just imagine the ad campaign

 "From the ashes a Delorean will rise, Presenting the new Delorean
Phoenix. Dare to dream again"   I would've been sold within 3 seconds

Harry Vin #2696

Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 15:43:35 -0500
From: "Nelson, Allan" <abnelson_at_dml_waterousco.com>
Subject: RE: Re: DeLorean's dumped into the sea?

How did the dies end up in Belfast?  The body panels were stamped elsewhere,
were they not?

Just curious.

Al