From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2182
Date: Wednesday, August 18, 2004 8:42 PM

1. Assistance in chicago?
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com

2. Re: Assistance in chicago?
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

3. Re: Door Dings Due To Upgraded Window Motors
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

4. Re: Door Dings Due To Upgraded Window Motors
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

5. Re: Door Dings Due To Upgraded Window Motors
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

6. Re: I Hate To Throw Anything Away - Key
From: "willytrash" <wlbayliss_at_dml_aol.com>

7. Re: Door Dings Due To Upgraded Window Motors
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

8. Delorean mention in magazine..
From: "Jeff Chabotte" <Jeff_at_dml_88-mph.com>

9. Re: Door Dings Due To Upgraded Window Motors
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com

10. Re: Door Dings Due To Upgraded Window Motors
From: "azman3us" <azman3us_at_dml_yahoo.com>

11. Manual Transmission fluid change
From: Chris Almy <chris.almy_at_dml_comcast.net>

12. Woodward Dream Cruise
From: "Marvin" <marv_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com>

13. Re: Door Dings Due To Upgraded Window Motors
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

14. Alabama
From: "andy" <andydandy777_at_dml_aol.com>

15. Re: DeLorean's dumped into the sea?
From: "alistairmccann" <alistairmccann_at_dml_yahoo.com>

16. RE: Re: Door Dings Due To Upgraded Window Motors
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

17. Time Machine
From: "mydmc5898" <mydmc5898_at_dml_yahoo.com>

18. DeLorean at Coventry, VT?
From: "Dave Stragand" <dave.stragand_at_dml_forwardlook.net>

19. Re: Manual Transmission fluid change
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

20. Re: Re: Door Dings Due To Upgraded Window Motors
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

21. Re: Manual Transmission fluid change
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

22. Turn signals not working.
From: "austinbrumley" <austinbrumley_at_dml_delorean.com>

23. Big Thanks To Dave Sontos!
From: "Michael & Denise" <luckeys71_at_dml_cox.net>

24. RE: Alabama
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_mchsi.com>

25. Re: Turn signals not working.
From: "Christopher Hawes" <chris_at_dml_hawes74.freeserve.co.uk>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 05:35:34 -0000
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com
Subject: Assistance in chicago?

Hello List - I received some email messages from a DeLorean owner in
the south Chicago area who is having fuel system challenges with a
car that was left standing for several years.  He asked me if I knew
anybody in his area that would be willing to at least consult with
him on how to fix his car.  If anybody in that area would be willing
to give this person a call, please email me off-list and I will give
you his contact information.  Thank you so much for any assistance
that you are willing to provide.

Toby Peterson
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com

toby(at)delorean-parts(dot)com

Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 14:07:54 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: Assistance in chicago?

<<waving arm>> I am in that area and am in the process of doing the
same thing with my recent aquisition. Email at swingle (at)
dmcnews.com, I'll provide further contact info off-list. I'm out of
town until Friday.

Dave

Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 01:59:19 -0000
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>
Subject: Re: Door Dings Due To Upgraded Window Motors

I had a bunch of little dents in my passenger door.  I fixed them by
taking a hammer...I mean the HANDLE of a hammer, and then place it
underneath the dent.  Then use leverage to massage the dent out,
moving it back and forth underneath it.  After you've leveled it off
as much as you can, get some 50 grit sandpaper or a flap wheel and
go to town.  Once you get it to where you can't see the dent, move
up to 120 grit, then 240, then get your 3M blending pad to finish
the job.
The main strategy is patience, and hope :)

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, PRC1216_at_dml_a... wrote:
> I have a set of the upgraded window motors for my D, and as a
result I have a
> ding coming outward on each door.   I have tried bending the
window motor
> brackets and just about everything else, and I still cannot get it
to the point
> where there is no force being exerted outwards on the stainless.
The dings
> are right below the rubstrip on each door.   Are there any ideas
on how to fix
> this?   At PF, Randal Brown suggested using a hacksaw to level it
out and then
> regrain it with a flap sander.   I am thinking of using a file to
smooth it
> down and then regrain it.   Does anyone else have this problem?
Any other

Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 02:11:41 -0000
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

This is not the first time I've heard of people putting dings in
their doors from the upgraded window motors.  Maybe this will help.
I've got both of mine upgraded, and no dings whatsoever.

Install your window motors like this:

(this is a driver's side door)

http://www.personal.psu.edu/~mds328/window_motors.jpg

and you will have no dings to worry about!

hope this helps,

Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 02:43:25 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

To fix a ding that is from the inside pushing the surface out (like a
pimple) the simple procedure is to reduce it as much as you can with a
pick hammer around the circumference but not pushing the metal below
the surrounding surface. Next you get a grinder or sander to level the
surface. Now you regrain with sandpaper moving from course grits to
smoother and finally using Scotch-Brite. This is not for the
faint-of-heart or the inexperienced. Too much banging or too much heat
from the grinder will work-harden the metal and stretch it making a
wrinkle. If you do not have the patience to practice and get good at
it you have to consider taking it to someone with experience. Any
larger shop that does a lot of commercial kitchen work will have
someone that can do this. You can also look for a shop that does S/S
elevator work or S/S metal doors. Any large city should have someone
capable of this kind of repair. Of course the best thing is to get the
car to one of the Delorean venders. P J Grady recently hired a guy who
is supposed to be a magician at this kind of stuff. Anyone that is
really good at this is very much an artist.

Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 02:35:49 -0000
From: "willytrash" <wlbayliss_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: I Hate To Throw Anything Away - Key

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_o...> wrote:
> Owner found?
>
> I think I know the owner and the car you are making reference to.
> He was at the PF Show with his Delorean, VIN...6605, 5 speed with
> gray interior.  He lives in or near Green Bay, WI and I beleive he
> has owned his car since 1990 (same as my garage queen).
>
> Funny how I can remember all of those details but I cannot recall
> his name at the moment.  The good news is that he did register in
> advance for the PF Show, so Ken K. should have that information.
> I called Ken already to look for his name when he gets home.
>
> Later,
> Rich W.
>

> --- I did have somebody who wanted the key but I told him that I
would rather see it go to the original car. I not sure if it's worth
trying to change the key blank from the plastic DMC. I would be
surprised if the second owner still had it, but why not? I've had
other cars longer. Also I'm going to ask a question about that car
only the owner of that car would know. 414-232-0976

Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 22:46:43 EDT
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

The upgrade window motors have a stop so that the window does not go down all
the way
the way the bracket on the bottom is arranged it holds it a bit high in the
door and when the window comes down it hits the stop and puts a torque on the
shaft and it twists out into the door panel

By making a very minor bend in the shaft just before the elbow relieves it a
lot and if  you remount the motor a little it shifts the shaft down a hair and
that also puts the elbo a bit lower and away from the door.

You can also put a washer under the bracket where it attaches to the window
thus also forcing the bar in and away from the skin.  This is just a tweek and
is not going to make a big move like the other adjustment.

There are a few other things to do but we did about half of what I said above
to Patricks car tonight and it barely touches now on the side that was about
1/4 inch interference.

We will get it the rest when there is light
kinda got dark

Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 23:23:46 -0400
From: "Jeff Chabotte" <Jeff_at_dml_88-mph.com>
Subject: Delorean mention in magazine..

Greetings all,

I just got back from a trip to Louisville, KY this past weekend and
wanted to mention this.

On American Airlines, you get a complimentary magazine. This month a
feature article was published about marketing and branding. It's an
interesting read. To summarize, the only real mention was the following:

"[Brands..] What makes them durable, or ready to shatter at the first
sign of trouble? Think Coke versus, say, DeLorean. "

The magazine cover story this month is about Tom Cruise. I snagged a few
off the airplane in case some of you would like to read it. If you are
interested, email me off-list. It'll be way cheaper than trying to get a
plane ticket!

-Jeff Chabotte
Norwich, CT
http://www.7blade.com

Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 05:50:28 -0000
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com

I just noticed this thread regarding the installation of the new
upgraded window motors.  Apparently, some people are seeing some
damage caused by preloading in the installation, along with poor
performance of the motors.  The window motor that I installed in
Winged1 is performing flawlessly and quietly.  What I noticed during
the installation is that there are two "attachment links" or
brackets, but it is not possible to use both of them without
stressing and straining the assembly.  I simply used only one of the
links, and attached it to the most conveniently located bolt.  I
discarded the other link as unnecessary.  The load reactions for
moving the window up and down are taken care of by the attachment to
the grab handle bracket that is part way up the track.  The link
merely supports the weight of the motor.  I have no contact with the
external skin of the door, and no rattles or banging.  I would
suggest modifying your installations to be similar to mine, and then
reporting back as to whether there was an improvement or not.  As
far as resolving any existing outward dings in the door skin, I
would recommend somebody like Dent Wizard to fix it, or use similar
techniques.  Planing the ding off with a hacksaw gives me the creeps.

Toby Peterson
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_a...>
wrote:
> I had the same problem however I did catch it before both doors
were dented. I haven't tried to remove the dent yet so I'm watching
your thread for suggestions.

> The new window motors are NOT plug-and-play, contrary to the
> instructions. If you want a smooth properly functioning window you
> are in for some tedious work. What frustrated me is, with proper
> instructions and information, the job could have been a 2 hour
deal instead of a 12 hour deal.

Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 03:14:43 -0000
From: "azman3us" <azman3us_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I have seen this done BUT am not confident in my personal ability to
do this.  Let this be performed by a prefessional.

I have been reading this list far too long and will start posting
shortly both from a 3M perspective and representing the AZ-D.

Please don't send me e-mails to the yahoo address above - look for a
more indepth posting shortly!

Randal Brown - the 3M guy and Pres of the AZ-D

Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 19:34:39 -0700
From: Chris Almy <chris.almy_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Manual Transmission fluid change

I'm in the process of changing the manual transmission fluid. Fortunately I
remembered another post saying to verify you can remove the fill plug
before the drain plug. Sure enough, the fill plug doesn't want to move. And
before anybody asks, yes I soaked it for days in liquid wrench. I don't
want to take a torch to it as I've never done that before nor do I know how
well the tranny will take the heat.

Since I just removed the backup light switch for replacement, is it
possible to fill the transmission with fluid through that hole? I'm not at
all familiar with the Renault 5-speed, so I don't know if that hole is
somehow closed off from the rest of the tranny.

Thanks for the help,
Chris #4099

Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 09:13:37 -0400
From: "Marvin" <marv_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com>
Subject: Woodward Dream Cruise

Anyone going to be in Detroit this Saturday for the Woodward Dream Cruise? Over 1 million people + 5 miles of street + 25,000 custom cars, hot rods, antiques + my DeLorean = world's biggest cruise! Contact me off line for a meeting place.

Marv.
# 17077
marv_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com

Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 14:29:55 -0000
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

Something I once thought might work, for larger
dings/creases/holes/etc, is have a welder lay some stainless bead on
it.  Now, what was an indentation is a big glob of stainless steel.
It seems to me, then taking a grinder or flap wheel to level the
surface, followed by the usual regraining procedures should make it
look as good as original.
Does this make sense?  It really seems that no ding/hole should be
unrepairable from this standpoint.  As long as the overall shape of
the panel is still there.

Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 15:15:22 -0000
From: "andy" <andydandy777_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Alabama

I am interested in knowing how many Deloreans are in the state of
Alabama, and is anyone on this list an Alabama Delorean owner. Please
contact me off list, we may want to share a cup of coffee or we may
be of help to each other with our cars, most things I can fix( 23
years of working on my car)

Andy Blackmon
Birmingham

Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 15:10:14 -0000
From: "alistairmccann" <alistairmccann_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: DeLorean's dumped into the sea?

The body dies were owned by the DMC and in turn owned by the british
government, they were sent to Northern Ireland for the auction and
sold.

For about a year or so they lay in a scrape yard in belfast then
were bought by the fishery compnay.

Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 11:06:54 -0500
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Door Dings Due To Upgraded Window Motors

I'm not a welder so I really don't know but I think you'd end up with brown
burn marks all around the repair area.

-Joe Kuchan

Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 17:42:18 -0000
From: "mydmc5898" <mydmc5898_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Time Machine

Hi, well I'm not sure if I'm going to do this, my car has a little
bit of work to be done. I'm putting a 5-speed into my orginal
automatic. Anyway my questions is one of my friends who just bought
a new house wants to have a costume party there in October. Well I'm
not one for dressing up but they and I had the idea to make my car
into a temp Time Machine. I didn't know what type of materials I
could use near the engine area that would be chep but most impotant
safe and won't leave any impossible marks to clean on the car. Has
anyone did this and how do you get some of the stuff to stay on?
More then likely since I can take side streets to his house I won't
have to go more then 35mph so I don't think anything will fly off if
I can mount it to the car for just the one night.

Well if anyone has any suggestions please let me know,

Thanks,
Darryl

Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 13:54:39 -0400
From: "Dave Stragand" <dave.stragand_at_dml_forwardlook.net>
Subject: DeLorean at Coventry, VT?

Hi All,

I was wearing a PJ Grady t-shirt at Phish's final shows in Coventry, Vermont
last weekend and a couple of people asked me if that was my DeLorean stuck
in the mud... (it wasn't mine -- I came close to bringing it but fortunately
changed my mind at the last moment).  I walked around, but didn't see the
mud-drenched D anywhere.  I was just wondering if it was someone on the
list, and if they got out okay.  Please contact me -- I'd love to compare
notes.

-Dave Stragand

Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 18:26:22 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Manual Transmission fluid change

Even if you find an alternate way to get the fresh oil into the trans
you MUST remove the side plug so you know the level. You could wind up
underfilling or overfilling. Without removing that side plug you can
never know. This is important because not only is this level for the
trans it is also for the final drive. Get the proper adapter and a
breaker bar, and gorrilla it off. I do not suggest heat, since there
is oil inside you could set it on fire. Another drastic way would be
to try to turn it with a hammer and chisel or drill it out. It should
come loose with the proper tools.

Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 12:50:09 -0500
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

We putting the full size windows in my cars, I used one of the new
upgraded motors.
These have a larger diameter tube than the stock motors.

In order to prevent the tube from denting the outside stainless door
skin I brazed a flat piece of steel to the tube to keep it from flexing
and also to maintain the exact curve it is supposed to be.   It was
some work ,  but no dented doors.

BOB

Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 18:44:39 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

Not very easily. The switch rides up against a large ball bearing
that rides against one of the shifting rods inside the transmission.
You'd have to find a way to pressurize the oil, 90-weight is not
going to flow well thru the tiny area involved, i.e. it would take
hours using gravity. Plus you'd have a hard time telling when it was
full, although it's safe to assume that once you got the specified
amount (approx 3 3/4 quarts) in it was full. That is not as easy as
it sounds because you will tend to spill/leak quite a bit.

How are you trying to remove the filler plug? You should be using the
correct (10mm) square socket, NOT an open end wrench. I can't imagine
the socket with a good-sized breaker bar not doing the job, even if
it ripped the threads out of the trans case.

You could carefully use some heat, but remember that a)it's full of
oil, b) there's usually oil all over the outside, and c) it's
aluminum. Pretty risky if you don't have a feel for such things.

Dave S

Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 21:13:14 -0000
From: "austinbrumley" <austinbrumley_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Turn signals not working.

Hello,

        I just got my car running for the first time. Only to
discover a whole bunch of new problems the first of which is my turn
signals are not working. I thought before i tear into it i would ask
if there is a common problem. All your help is greatly appreciated.

Austin

Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 16:51:06 -0400
From: "Michael & Denise" <luckeys71_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Big Thanks To Dave Sontos!

Hi gang,
    I wanted to post a big thanks to Dave Sontos for helping me with my slave cylinder problem.  After wrestling with it for 2 days we managed to get it removed which wouldn't have been possible without his knowledge and expertise in assisting a novice such as myself!  Most folks might think that 2 days seems like a while to do the job but we were raging a constant battle with rusted components on my car.  This brings me to another purpose of this post-what should I do with this vehicle?  As Dave can attest to the frame has some major trouble and will need to be replaced.  I've uploaded some pictures of the underside of the body (files 1-7 DeLorean.jpg) and frame by the trailing arms and transmission to get some opinions from the experts of the group.  I personally do not have the knowledge, tools, or space to attempt a frame replacement and I don't know if I could financially afford to pay someone else to do it since I honestly do not know what it would cost.  I'm certainly at a crossroads here since I'm sitting at about $12000-$13000 current investment in the car and would take a big loss if sold as is.  If a frame replacement is too costly I would have very few options other than to sell or part out the car which is very depressing.  I always wanted a DeLorean and bought this car for fun but I fear that the dream may be over for me.  Perhaps the biggest irony of all is that even though the frame is shot the car runs strong as my trip home from Columbus, OH. after purchasing it can validate.  As I told Dave today it certainly is "Caveat Emptor" when dealing with a car 23 years old and in my excitement to own one I totally looked at the wrong areas of the car to judge its' condition.  Any opinions, ideas, or even insults would be valued by me as I try and decide what to do with my current situation.
Thanks again to Dave for taking 2 summer days to work with me on my rusted up car-he truly got to see how the other half lives when dealing with these vehicles!

Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 16:45:55 -0500
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_mchsi.com>
Subject: RE: Alabama

Best thing to do is look at the Owners Directory posted at
http://www.dmcnews.com/directory.html

If you are not listed yourself, then you need to sign up.

Scott Mueller 002981

Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 22:23:37 +0100
From: "Christopher Hawes" <chris_at_dml_hawes74.freeserve.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Turn signals not working.

I had an intermittent version of your symptoms and it turned out to be the
plug on the bag of the hazard system had worked its way loose, you can stick
your arm through the back of the console to easily check this one out....

good luck

Chris Hawes