From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2185
Date: Friday, August 20, 2004 11:25 PM

1. Delorean Sighting in Northern Virginia
From: "vtdmc" <wmack_at_dml_vt.edu>

2. Re: Re: What ever happened to the ZILLAS?
From: "Joseph Molino" <foxmul_at_dml_bellatlantic.net>

3. Re: What ever happened to the ZILLAS?
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

4. Charging Problem.......Help :)
From: "Mike" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>

5. Re: Part of the problem? (Ignition discovery)
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

6. Re: Big Thanks To Dave Sontos!
From: "Ratfink65" <dennis.p.lowery_at_dml_lmco.com>

7. Re: DeLorean's dumped into the sea?
From: "dmc12v6" <dmc12v6_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. Re: What ever happened to the ZILLAS?
From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>

9. Re: Charging Problem.......Help :)
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

10. Leather Dye
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

11. Re: Re: Big Thanks To Dave Sontos!
From: Noah <sitz_at_dml_onastick.net>

12. Re: What ever happened to the ZILLAS?
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

13. ebay store sandblasted parts...
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>

14. Delorean Frame
From: "austinbrumley" <austinbrumley_at_dml_delorean.com>

15. Re: Leather Dye
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

16. Re: Leather Dye
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>

17. Re: Big Thanks To Dave Sontos!
From: "lluucckkmmaann" <luckeys71_at_dml_cox.net>

18. What happened to DMC Joe
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

19. Re-Post Dye
From: chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com

20. Grady's Website
From: "Stephen Card" <stephen_at_dml_procomroofing.com>

21. Re: What happened to DMC Joe
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

22. Re: Re-Post Dye
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

23. RE: What happened to DMC Joe
From: "Jack Stiefel" <jackstiefel_at_dml_stiefelaluminum.com>

24. Re: Re: Charging Problem.......Help :)
From: "Lauren" <LPLand_at_dml_earthlink.net>

25. Latest ignition status
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 11:48:39 -0000
From: "vtdmc" <wmack_at_dml_vt.edu>
Subject: Delorean Sighting in Northern Virginia

I saw a Delorean on Waxpool Road in Loudoun County yesterday.  If you
are on the list, stop by the Ferrari dealership.  My D is there
almost every day.

Willie Mack

Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 07:10:38 -0400
From: "Joseph Molino" <foxmul_at_dml_bellatlantic.net>
Subject: Re: Re: What ever happened to the ZILLAS?

Toby,

Is there any way you could put pictures of your wings-a-loft products.  I
think they are excellent and the price sounds great.

Joseph molino

Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 12:00:42 -0000
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>
Subject: Re: What ever happened to the ZILLAS?

I wish I knew.  Tried ordering a wiring diagram from them and
haven't heard anything all week.  Seems like they can't decide if
they're "in" or "out" of the business, but they should do one or the
other.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_y...>

Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 07:49:37 -0000
From: "Mike" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>
Subject: Charging Problem.......Help :)

Hi All

I have a problem on my car where the battery light is staying on and
it appears not to be charging correctly.

I replaced the battery 3 months ago and after replacing a noisy
alternator last night for a new one the battery light is staying on
constantly.

Can any one give me a few pointers as to where to look . The car
starts fine but i can tell the battery is not charging after
restarting it a few times.

Hope someone can help :)

mike
auto

Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 12:54:03 -0000
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Re: Part of the problem? (Ignition discovery)

I disagree. There was no notch in them when I bought them. Below is a
link containing a vendor photo of my plugs. No notch there.

http://www.go2marine.com/frameset.jsp?
servletPath=/g2m/action/GoBPage/id/15928F/hiLiteSku/15984/categoryId/1
3862/

Rich A.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Darkstarmedia" <darkstarmedia_at_dml_c...>

Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 15:59:33 -0000
From: "Ratfink65" <dennis.p.lowery_at_dml_lmco.com>
Subject: Re: Big Thanks To Dave Sontos!

I was thinking the same thing.  Maybe we could get a project leader-
someone who knows exactly what to do- and a bunch of interested
people for a weekend (or 2 or 3 etc.) to gather to help.  It would be
the ULTIMATE tech session/barn raising!  I'm located in northern
Virginia and I would be glad to volunteer my time.

Now, if we could only get a used frame....there is a guy in Chesapeke
selling a rough D on ebay right now...(it's already been discussed)
maybe thats a start...and maybe you could offer other usable parts to
your voluteers(at a good price)to offset the cost of the parts D.

Just my thoughts,

Dennis Lowery
vin 4797

Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 16:43:40 -0000
From: "dmc12v6" <dmc12v6_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: DeLorean's dumped into the sea?

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "alistairmccann"
<alistairmccann_at_dml_y...> wrote:
> The body dies were owned by the DMC and in turn owned by the
british
> government, they were sent to Northern Ireland for the auction and
> sold.
>
> For about a year or so they lay in a scrape yard in belfast then
> were bought by the fishery compnay.

The only Deloreans that might have been dumped at sea,besides the DMC
dies,i suspect,might be those first 500 black bodies,think about
it,for a moment----WHERE--- did they disappear to. As we all know
today after stripping down 1 parts car, it is rather diffucult to get
rid of that black body,how did the company manage to dispose of those
500 or so black fiberglass shells,at the bottom of the sea maybe?

Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 16:46:49 -0000
From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_y...> wrote:
> Isnt it kind of odd that we havent heard anything from Bob Zilla in
> a long long while?? Door launchers and all those other super high
> tech mods.....what gives? really wanting those launchers

Buy the launchers from Toby (DeLorean Parts Northwest,
http://www.delorean-parts.com/ - There's a picture right there on the
front page, left side). Trust me. Bob was talking about a price in the
area of $800 for his launchers, plus you have to buy LockZilla for
another $200 and change to make the launchers work. So there's a grand
just to open your doors remotely.

Toby's system is $199 and it works perfectly. The installation was
easy and only took me an hour or two. Better yet, it's available right
now.

Why would anyone spend $1,000 and wait who knows how long when you can
get the same thing for $200 today?

While you're at it, check out his door lock actuator upgrade. Best
$100 I ever spent - no more heavy, power hungry solenoids stressing my
doors and lock module.

Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 17:35:12 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Charging Problem.......Help :)

may be necessary to recharge the battery to properly test it. It
sounds  like the alternator you just installed is bad. Other things to
check are a loose belt, dirty connections, a problem in the wiring of
the car. If you ever jumped the battery to start the car you may have
blown the alternator. Even if you connect the jumper cables correctly,
the surge can take out the voltage regulater. This can occur
ESPECAILLY if you left the ignition key on when you connected the
cables. Connecting the cables wrong, even for a split-second, WILL fry
the diodes and the voltage regulator. The best advice currently is to
not jump or charge the battery in the car. In the case of a dead
battery the best (safest) thing to do is to remove the battery and
recharge it slowly. Always be sure the ignition key is off and all
accesories and lights are turned off before messing with any wiring. A
quick and "dirty' way to see if the alternator is charging at all is
to hold the tip of a steel screwdriver over the cap for the rear
bearing of the alternator. If it is attracted magnetically then the
altenator is making electric. Try not to ever jump your car. Since it
is an automatic you can damage the shift computer too especailly if
you leave the ignition key on when you jump it.

Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 17:44:26 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Leather Dye

Moving along on the clean-up of 7138 I now need advice on how to fix
up the leather. I washed the seats with soap and water and Lexol. They
came out pretty good, no cracks or tears, but there are crease marks
and lines in them. Mainly on the bottoms with the driver's seat
showing the most wear. Does anyone have a good source of leather dye
and the correct color? I think the only leather in the car are the
door pull straps (2),  the seats (2) and the steering wheel cover.
Someone correct me if I am wrong. I really don't want to spend a lot
of money on the seats, they are not that bad but I would like to
"pretty them up". The vinyl came out really nice with the vinyl dye.
After I replace the headliner the inside will be outstanding!

Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 14:04:19 -0400
From: Noah <sitz_at_dml_onastick.net>
Subject: Re: Re: Big Thanks To Dave Sontos!

On Fri, Aug 20, 2004 at 03:59:33PM -0000, Ratfink65 wrote:
> I was thinking the same thing.  Maybe we could get a project leader-
> someone who knows exactly what to do- and a bunch of interested
> people for a weekend (or 2 or 3 etc.) to gather to help.  It would be
> the ULTIMATE tech session/barn raising!  I'm located in northern
> Virginia and I would be glad to volunteer my time.

I'd be happy to volunteer as well; not sure how much use I'll be, but I
help however I can, using it as an excuse to learn a bunch of stuff. I
don't know cars as well as I do bikes (yet), but I've got a decent set
of tools. Let me know if/when.

Noah "also in northern virginia, and yes, NoVA is a different state. Ask
anyone who lives here" Robin

Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 17:42:29 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

The last thing that I heard, was that he was taking time off from building Zilla products, so
that he could build his own house. But that was 3 years ago. After that, I saw pictures from
one of the conventions, where he was raffling off prizes. Never heard anything since.

As for the door launchers, as you already saw from his post, Toby sells a kit for these. Or,
you can get a set of solenoid door openers, and adapt them for the DeLorean (that's what
was done with my car). I've no experience with Toby's kit, but can tell you that I hate the
solenoids on my car. VPA offers no phone support, and wouldn't even point me in the
direction of a wiring diagram for their system (the idiot who put it on my car, miswired
everything). Plus, you will have to perform a torsion bar adjustment.

Some people say that they would prefer the solenoids, because they work faster than the
actuators. If you think that an additional second or so is too long to wait, all I can say is
this: Take a stopwatch to a Bricklin with hydraulic door rams, and see how long those
things take to open!

Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 14:05:39 -0400
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>
Subject: ebay store sandblasted parts...

Hi again List,

Writing to post another update to my DMC parts ebay store.  I just
retrieved a pickup truck load of sandblasted DeLorean parts yesterday,
and will be posting them to the ebay store tonight.  Quite a few items
that I haven't had for awhile, so be sure to check it out, if you're in
need.  Got a lot of nice engine components, as well as some suspension
and metal interior parts.

Link to the store is:
http://tinyurl.com/6dhcw

Also...I have a standard transmission DeLorean frame that is very, VERY
clean.  Came off a 3000 mile car, and might as well be new.  Looking for
$2500 or best offer.  I will be photographing that and adding it to the
store shortly as well.

Update on Fascias and Dashes:

Another batch of fascias should be done this weekend barring a major
rain storm.  I have a list of people who were interested in purchasing
them a while back...I will be contacting you soon to see if you are
still interested.  If you need one or both, and I haven't talked to you
yet, I'm asking $300 per fascia, and I can send you pics of a finished
one if you are interested in seeing what they will look like.

Dashes...I currently have three dashes and two binnacles that have yet
to be recovered.  I have decided to switch vendors in the hopes of
bringing the cost down, and find more consistent results.  The guy I've
contacted is on vacation until Monday, Aug. 23rd, so as soon as I know
something on that front, I'll post again.

As always, thanks for your time!

Josh Haldeman
VIN 11289 (parts)
VIN 10236 (parts)
VIN 3951 (parts)

Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 18:19:17 -0000
From: "austinbrumley" <austinbrumley_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Delorean Frame

I know that John Hervey has one for sale. & i work with alot of
shipping companies, i'll help get you some qoutes.

Austin

Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 18:42:16 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: Leather Dye

David

I have had good success with a product called Leatherique.  They
can color match any leather dye.  All you need is a sample you
can send them.  They also have a line of leather cleaning and
conditioning products that are excellent.

You can find Leatherique at:

www.leatherique.com

The hardest part of the entire redyeing process is convincing
yourself that it is ok to wet-sand your leather to remove the
old dye.  Just remember to stop before you start makikng suede.
For best results, you will need an airbrush to apply the new dye.

-------------- Original message from "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>: --------------

Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 12:46:03 -0700 (PDT)
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>

David Teitelbaum <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net> wrote:Moving along on the clean-up of 7138 I now need advice on how to fix
up the leather. ............

Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 19:57:18 -0000
From: "lluucckkmmaann" <luckeys71_at_dml_cox.net>

Hi gang,
You guys are absolutely amazing!  For people to even mention helping
me with my problem DeLorean just leaves me stunned!  Much thanks to
you Dennis to suggest this to a person whom you haven't met before
but like everyone else on the list shares a passion for the
DeLorean.  I did go over and take a look at the wrecked DeLorean in
Chesapeake and I must say that it is certainly a mess.  The owner of
the yard says that certain parts of the frame might be rusted after
I told him that was what I was primarily interested in.  The frame
as a whole seems O.K. except for the front crumple tube which is
exactly that-Crumpled.  It might be possible to work with it but I
would have to get some pictures together (with the permission of the
junkyard of course)and see what our experts here think.  I can't
remember the VIN to the car but it has Maryland plates and was
assembled in Dec. 1981.  Mighty sad to see a car which was once
someone's pride and joy to have tadpoles swimming in the glove box
and plants growing out of the front seat.  The pictures of my frame
are listed in the photo section as "Frame Rust-#3760" and I would
appreciate any of the members taking the time to view them and
giving me your thoughts on whether or not repair would be possible.
Thanks again for everyone's help!
--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Ratfink65" <dennis.p.lowery_at_dml_l...>

Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 16:30:29 -0400
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>
Subject: What happened to DMC Joe

What ever happened to DMC Joe? He used to post on a regular basis but I
haven't seen anything in a while and his web page is becoming derelict.

Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 20:50:40 -0000
From: chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com
Subject: Re-Post Dye

David......I have a can of dye that is a perfect match for my grey
interior. It is "Nu-Life" Color Spray #614 Grey. Hope this helps.

Chris

PS; This matches mine. I have seen some seats that were a little bit
darker than mine. I think you said that you were using something
with "charcoal" in its' name so you might want a darker color. In
that case it would be #650.

Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 23:30:48 -0000
From: "Stephen Card" <stephen_at_dml_procomroofing.com>
Subject: Grady's Website

If you haven't been over to Rob's website in a while it is worth the
short trip to check out the new look. www.pjgrady.com
Nice job Rob & Debbie.
Stephen

Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 20:06:16 EDT
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: What happened to DMC Joe

In a message dated 8/20/04 4:37:53 PM Central Daylight Time,
dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net writes:

> What ever happened to DMC Joe? He used to post on a regular basis but I
> haven't seen anything in a while and his web page is becoming derelict.

DMCJoe had a family crises about 2 years ago, then found himself in a
position to take over an entertainment/rec. room type store.  he has since gotten out
of the DeLorean business.  A loss for the entire DeLorean community, to be
sure.  It must have been a tough decision.

Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 23:31:43 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Re-Post Dye

Is Nu-Life for the leather or the vinyl? Where can I buy it? For the
vinyl I am using Plasitcote 408 Charchol Grey. I can get it in Pep
Boys but again, it can only be used on the vinyl. It is giving me
great results, I just wonder how it will be long-term.

Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 21:31:17 -0400
From: "Jack Stiefel" <jackstiefel_at_dml_stiefelaluminum.com>

It is actually a recreational facility, like a campground, and quite
beautiful from what I remember of the web site... But you were close lol.  I
might be a tad off, but that's what I remember.

Jack Stiefel
www.fmtimemachine.com
Direct listen link: www.live365.com/stations/radiocape

Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 19:32:49 -0700
From: "Lauren" <LPLand_at_dml_earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Re: Charging Problem.......Help :)

Dave T wrote:

> If you ever jumped the battery to start the car you may have
> blown the alternator. Even if you connect the jumper cables correctly,
> the surge can take out the voltage regulater.

Dave -- is this unique to Delorean?  Are you saying that no car
should ever be jump started?  In my many years and many cars and
many jumps, I've never heard this before.  I always appreciate your
technical advice.

...........................LP

Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 04:02:53 -0000
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Latest ignition status

As Dave Titlebaum constantly reminds me, just because it's relatively
new, doesn't mean it's still working.

Today I replaced my plugs, and wires. For science's sake, I ohm'd out
the old wires (7mm). My new hi-po wires are 8mm silicone, measuring
apprx 600-ish ohms per wire depending on the length.

Of my old wires, 2 of them read "infinite" or broken, or perhaps were
so resistant that I'd need a meg-ohm meter to truly read them. The
other 4 were between 5 and 950 thousand ohms. Either way, all 6 were
junk. I noted that they seemed kind of stiff from the engine heat.

New Bosch (gapped) plugs, new wires, new rotor and cleaned up the cap
contacts, new coil and ballast resistor. Checked the timing and
checked the CO with the dwell meter.

All of this had absolutely no effect. The engine runs as poorly as
before. The only difference, is that no matter how loaded the engine
is, the timing light still strobes strongly instead of going dark as
it used to.

As before, different coil/ballast resistor combinations create
different symptoms, but none of them good.

I have a few more tests, then I may start looking at fuel delivery,
despite the fact that I've measured fuel pressures with a K-jet test
rig.

Cheers,

Rich A.