From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2187
Date: Sunday, August 22, 2004 3:19 AM

1. Is owner of a Alabama D 4 sale on list?
From: BigBenb84_at_dml_aol.com

2. DeLorean Sighting on TV
From: Jan van de Wouw <delorean_at_dml_home.nl>

3. SIDE STRIPES are HERE!
From: "Robert Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

4. Chrome like stainless
From: "Matthew David" <DMC5524_at_dml_hotmail.com>

5. Speaking of DMC Joe, Chris Bowman have you had any luck getting your car back?
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

6. Re: DeLorean's dumped into the sea?
From: "alistairmccann" <alistairmccann_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. You Might be a Delorean Fanatic If . . .
From: "birdwell77095" <birdwells_at_dml_usa.net>

8. Re: Chrome like stainless
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

9. 3 Row radiator
From: "austinbrumley" <austinbrumley_at_dml_delorean.com>

10. Re: Charging Problem.......Help :)
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

11. AW: Re: Charging Problem.......Help :)
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>

12. Dash cover
From: ttanaka504_at_dml_aol.com

13. Front shock
From: ttanaka504_at_dml_aol.com

14. Side Stripe
From: "geek123y" <service_at_dml_techno-concepts.com>

15. Re: Chrome like stainless
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

16. Two Things
From: "delorean02378" <delorean02378_at_dml_yahoo.com>

17. DeLorean Documentary problems?
From: "Dan" <copper_trace_at_dml_yahoo.com>

18. Still a starting problem
From: "Dani B" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

19. EE
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

20. Re: Charging Problem.......Help :)
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 01:35:46 EDT
From: BigBenb84_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Is owner of a Alabama D 4 sale on list?

Hey guys,
   There is a DeLorean for sale in south Alabama near/between Enterprise and
Dothan. Is the owner on this list? or anyone know anything about it? I live in
Pensacola, FL and its about 3 hours away from me. I haven't seen it but
co-worker told me about it. Interested...

Ben Brennan
Pensacola, FL
No VIN....just a focus

Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 12:52:33 +0200
From: Jan van de Wouw <delorean_at_dml_home.nl>
Subject: DeLorean Sighting on TV

I think I saw a new small appearance of a DeLorean on the box:

When I was watching "Monster House Makeover" yesterday,
they were planning on making a futuristic house...

In the intro they showed a Sunstar-model "floating" on some
visible pieces of string, followed by the host of the show
arriving in a DeLorean wearing an outfit like a martian...

It's an American show, but it got aired on "Veronica"
yesterday, this is a Dutch commercial station...

If anyone is familiar with this, maybe it
can be captured for Tamir's site?

JAN van de Wouw

Thinking Different...   Using a Mac...
Shifting Expectations...   Driving a Nissan...

DMC-12 "Dagger" since Sep. 2000
100NX "Saphire" since Nov. 2002
-------------------------------

Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 09:14:05 -0000
From: "Robert Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: SIDE STRIPES are HERE!

OK guys, they are finally here and ready to go.
Everyone has been bugging me to find out when my new reproduction side
stripes would be in and now they are ready to ship, but I only have a
few sets so order now.
The texture is almost identical to the originals.
If you have not studied the original stripes up close
then you would most not notice the difference unless you are
a concorse judge.
To review, the differences are that the orignal stripes
had a thin 1/8" smooth seam that runs along the outside
edge of the stripes, and the letters "DMC" are printed in silver
on the front fenders.
On the reproductions, there is no seam, and the letters are
cut out rather than printed.
This material is durable and "sticks like grim death" and will
last the test of time.

If you have always wanted to have the large black side stripes
on your car then now is your chance to get them.
I have also LOWERED the price.

Check the website for details.

http://www.dfwdmc.com
click on STORE then PARTS.
- Videobob
VIN#5278

Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 13:30:08 +0000
From: "Matthew David" <DMC5524_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Chrome like stainless

I have been meaning to ask this for a while. After the Pigeon Forge show I
saw a picture of a D with the stainless panels polished to a chrome like
apearance above the black rub strips. Does any one have more pictures of
this car? Anyone know the procedure used to do this? Thanks in advance!

Matthew Cooley

Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 08:20:43 -0000
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Speaking of DMC Joe, Chris Bowman have you had any luck getting your car back?

After hearing your horror story about DMCJoe holding your car for
over 3 years and not wanting to return it to you I was just
wondering if you had made any progress of getting DMCJoe to return
your car. Has anything been completed on it yet, and if you still
don't have it, do you have an eta at least now? These DMCJoe threads
reminded me of you. Contact me off list if you get this message.

Joe OBrien

2524 & 16634

Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 14:33:38 -0000
From: "alistairmccann" <alistairmccann_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: DeLorean's dumped into the sea?

I had a conversation with a former employee at dmc who was there
when the auction was taking place.

He told me that he saw 100-150 of these body moulds being sold to a
local scrap merchant who in turn sold them as fish ponds!!!!

I dont know how much truth there is in this but its funny to think
that there are 150 deloreans in the backyards of houses in belfast.

Alistair

Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 14:54:49 -0000
From: "birdwell77095" <birdwells_at_dml_usa.net>
Subject: You Might be a Delorean Fanatic If . . .

1. You know the names and personal lives of people on the DML whom
you've never met but you have no idea who lives next door to you.
2. You can take apart your Delorean blindfolded but you still have to
have your three year old program the VCR.
3. You read all the back issues of every Delorean magazine but you
don't know the name of your local newspaper.
4. You can describe in detail all the events in John Delorean's life
but you don't know where your spouse was born.
5. You go to Delorean meets every year but it's been years since
you've been to a family reunion.
6. You have all the phone numbers to the Delorean vendors memorized
but you have to look up your parent's telephone number.
7. You've named you children and pets names such as Marty, Emmet,
Biff, etc.
8. You get up in the middle of the night to check new postings to the
DML.
9. Your computer is in the same room as your bed so you can get up in
the middle of the night to check posting to the DML.
10. You can recite your entire VIN number by heart but you can't
remember when your mother-in-law's birthday is.
11. And lastly, you can recite the entire VIN number of other people
on the DML but you don't know when your wife's birthday is.

Shannon Birdwell
VIN: Coming soon

Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 15:24:56 -0000
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Chrome like stainless

Amazing car wasn't it? I spokw with the owner several times because
I was amazed by it. He told me that using 400 grit sandpaper it only
takes 6-7 HOURS per square inch. WoW.

I asked when he plans to finish the rest of the car and the hood. He
jokingly replied back that he wouldn't live long enough to do it. If
some of the panels weren't SOOO expensive, I wouldn't mind spending
my spare time polishing out a set of panels for the car while they
were off the car. Then installing them onto a caar once they were
done. But with the prices of certain panels, that might not happen.

Joe OBrien

2524 & 16634

Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 15:26:45 -0000
From: "austinbrumley" <austinbrumley_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: 3 Row radiator

Has anyone installed John Hervey's 3 row radiator w/ copper fins. How
much cooler did your car run? Thanks.

Austin

Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 15:30:45 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Charging Problem.......Help :)

Current expert advice now discourages jumping one car with another.
The risk to the computer systems in BOTH cars is too great. You also
risk doing it wrong and exploding a battery. If you jump a frozen,
dead battery they can also explode. The recomended procedure is to
remove the dead battery and slowly recharge it or replace it with a
fully recharged one. In extreme cases it is allowed to use a portable
battery pack. I know this sounds extreme, I also have jumped many cars
over the years but cars are getting so much more complex now. You can
start a chain of events by weakening the junctions in the
semiconductors that will cause them to fail. In the near future you
will start to see cars with voltages other than 12. You may have
already seen some hybrids, they already are on different voltages.
NEVER try jumping cars of different voltages. That will be a fireworks
display! The shift computers in the automatic Deloreans seem to be
susceptible to the spikes and surges created when jump-starting. This
can happen especailly if the ignition key is left on while connecting
the cars. There are actually several computers in a Delorean but for
the most part they seem to be made well (they are Bosch). Ths shift
computer is Renault so maybe that's why it isn't so good? BTW building
codes now prohibit recharging a battery in a vehicle when that vehicle
is inside. There are some exceptions like for service stations. This
means that you are expected to remove the battery from a vehicle
before charging it. Exceptions will have to be made for hybrids and
electric vehicles too but the codes are still trying to catch up to
the new technologies.

Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 19:21:40 +0200
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>
Subject: AW: Re: Charging Problem.......Help :)

I'm sorry, I fixed about 10 automatic governors so far,
and non of them was destroyed because the car was jump started.
(The capacitors simply dry out. I am pretty sure that heat and
aging is the problem here. There is no way that the caps see any
spikes or surges or whatever. At another car a transistor was
shot - while driving the car in the mountains. Nobody ever said
something about jump starting and it failed immediately afterwards.)

I have no idea who came up with this fairy tale, but it is wrong !

I am not sure about the idle speed computer, but how often do they fail ?
(I heared of two broken ones so far.)

In fact there is an overvoltage and/or wrong polarity protection diode
in the power lock module which I have seen burned/destroyed. But
nothing else.

We even got a fan fail module lately that was playing with us.
All it had was a bad solder joint because of the high currents flowing
in there from the fans. Reinforcing the PCB with some extra wires fixed
it. So simple and easy...is somebody willing to sell me his broken
fan fail module ?

Elvis & 6548

Not an expert on DeLoreans by any means, but jump starting any car
does infact ruin computers, such as the idle computer on a DeLorean,
or the automatic computer governer for the auto tranny equipped
cars.  These spikes fry the contacts, and create stresses in the
silicon which eventualy destroys contact, and makes them useless.
But then again, were talking about 20 year old technology, combined
with 20 years or so of wear and tear.  A long time suggestion on the
list has been to slowly recharge the battery (or replace with a fresh
one) if "at all possible."  Replacing computers becomes expensive if
they are frying due to spikes, the DeLorean is already plagued with a
bad electrical system (stock wise), we dont need to make it any worse
than it already is.

This applies to DeLoreans and all modern cars with computers.  I dont
think it would hurt say a 66' Mustang with no computer system, but
then again I might be wrong.... just dont jumpstart cars if at all
possible.

Tom Porter
Maine, USA

Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 12:49:32 EDT
From: ttanaka504_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Dash cover

Hello List

          My D's dash cracked and be burned to change a messy brown color....
My neighborhood kids make fun of my car. So I make a fresh resolve
to buy a Dash cover. I know that two place sale a Delorean dash cover

http://www.calcarcover.com/interior_dash.aspx

http://dashmat.com/dashmat/index.html

Then I have some problem. I dont know which one should I choose for
my gray color dash. Delorean dash color is almost blue gray. and dashmat
seem to not have right. other has light gray and  Dark gray. I think light one
is close to my D dash color, but not sure...
by the way, what is Velour?

Can you please help me to find the right color for my gray dash?
or can you please give me any suggestion?

Thanks

Blacknight

Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 13:12:02 EDT
From: ttanaka504_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Front shock

       Hello List

          I have some question about the front shocks.
I am thinking to get a front set of coil over shock, but
The mono tube shock I found has 2"body diam.

          I measured the lower link(Part#105177)  and a shock hole was
about 53mm(This is not sure) for my lower link.
Is anyone correct size of the hole? Is mono tube shock excessive?
Can I cut little bit the side of hole if the hole is tight?
Can I use 2" body diam shocks without any modify. Any experience?

         Any advice and suggestion I will be appreciate your kindness.

Blacknight

Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 18:37:45 -0000
From: "geek123y" <service_at_dml_techno-concepts.com>
Subject: Side Stripe

For people who want to have a stripe installed for them
Just finished the first set of prototype stripes at the local vinyl
shop
Any good sign or car vinyl shop can reproduce these for about $70.00
Another $25.00-$30.00 more for textured vinyl
And they will install it

I will have the digitization for anyone who wants it soon

Picture of the non-textured version is on the DML PHOTOS under
"side stripe"

Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 20:05:45 EDT
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

That belongs to a an Owner  in Cincinnati
He brought it over a  few tiems while we worked on the raffle car
it really is cool how the stainless is so shiny.
All he did was spend hours and hours polishing it to get the grain out

Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 01:37:51 -0000
From: "delorean02378" <delorean02378_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Two Things

Mike about your frame issue. Sounds like I'd go with Josh's 3000 mile
frame. That car you saw in Virgina is not worth buying for the frame,
I had them send me pictures of the frame itself and it was in bad
shape. They raised the car with a fork lift and sent me 20 pictures
of it. ROUGH!

Secondly, it's funny to see the posting about DMC Joe, I was
wondering the same thing just a few weeks ago. He brought 02378 back
to life in 1999 and did great work. He is definitely missed, his son
helped him with most of the work. He had to be making some serious
money working on these things, he was the only one around here that
really knew Deloreans. A quick 4-5 hours from Nashville. He worked on
two Deloreans for me and again, did great work on both. Sorry he is
no longer in the Delorean Community.

Kirk 02378

Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 02:07:22 -0000
From: "Dan" <copper_trace_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: DeLorean Documentary problems?

Has anyone purchased the DeLorean documentary from:

http://www.deloreanmovie.com/index.html

and received a VHS tape that had something other then the documentary
on it?

I recently purchased it and received it and after going nearly 8
minutes into the tape, all I have is some program about analyzing
headaches with a bunch of puffy doctors and intellectuals on some
talk show.

I've already left a message on Mr. McGauley's answering machine.

I was just curious if I just found out the hard way that this is a
scam or if my tape happens to be some sort of stupid fluke.

Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 02:29:08 -0000
From: "Dani B" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Still a starting problem

Okay guys, I am once again stuck on a problem that I cannot seem to
fix. Here's the details: New fuel pump and chk valve, accumulator is
tested OK, injectors cleaned in April or around there, no fuel leaks,
s/s braided lines from distributor to injectors and etc. When I go to
start my car- right after I turn it off (within 10 mins)- it will
crank and, shortly after, will start up and idle. When I drive my car
and go try to start it around 30mins-5 hours or overnight, it will
crank for a very long time and fail to start or even turn over.
Sometimes after overnight trying to start it, it will eventually turn
over and misfire for a few moments and then begin to clear up and run
fine. Anytime after I crank it and finally get it to start, I get a
good amount of greyish smoke coming from the tail pipe which will then
clear after a few moments. I've used a can of start spray after a
while of cranking and it seems to help, also I've used the hot start
quick fix and it seems to sometimes work. My car has never been like
this, only within the last few months it's been doing this to me. My
question is where do I
look next? I've checked out the tank, lines, changed the fuel filter,
made sure everything with the baffle was good, and so on. I can't tell
if its getting too much fuel/not enough, a poor ignition system (again
everything has been replaced ie. wires, cap, rotor,  etc etc.). I
don't smell any fuel back near the engine after cranking/nor is any
dripping from my exhaust pipe so I don't
think it is getting flooded. If anyone can tell me where to dig next,
I'd greatly appreciate it! Thanks guys, Dani B 5003 (finally back from
Vacation)

Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 02:53:27 -0000
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: EE

If anyone on the list has an EE, or can do electrical/electronic
engineering, please contact me off-list.

Thank you,

Rich A.

Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 03:43:43 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

Do the Bosch ECU's even have integrated circuits, or are they like
other contemporary control modules of the day which are basically a
collection of resistors, capacitors, and such?

I've opened up some late 70's Ford modules and that's all inside of them.

Old fashioned electronics (versus honest to goodness onboard
computers) are pretty hardy. Withstand all sorts of punishment. A
voltage regulator in one of my Lincolns went bad (external to
alternator). Never realized it was putting out 14+ volts until I
replaced the factory 8 track quadrasonic stereo with a new unit.
Digital display was pulsing in sync with RPM's. By the time I figured
out what was wrong, damage was done (new unit now just emits a high
pitch squeal). All the other electronics -- ignition, cruise control,
and even the original radio -- survived no problem.