From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2193
Date: Wednesday, August 25, 2004 3:42 AM

1. Re: Door won't close
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

2. Re: Rear Bumper Lettering
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. Nebraska and surrounding states club?
From: "Jace & Jenn" <judtnet_at_dml_cableone.net>

4. Promotional 83 Delorean for sale.
From: "ccssinc_net" <johnb_at_dml_ccssinc.com>

5. Re: Fuel Economy
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

6. Re: CO2 screw supply
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

7. Re: car covers
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

8. RE: Fuel Economy
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

9. Re: Re: Rear Bumper Lettering
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

10. Engine temp gauge not working
From: "Jace & Jenn" <judtnet_at_dml_cableone.net>

11. Re: Low Brake Fluid Indicator: was Low fuel warning indicator
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

12. Re: Hard Tap Water In Cooling System
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

13. Re: Initial Setting Of CO Screw
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

14. Re: car covers
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

15. Re: Fuel Economy
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

16. How can I protect my connector plugs?
From: S E Ableman <s.ableman_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

17. RE: Fuel Economy
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

18. Re: car covers
From: Rod Dillman <rhdillman_at_dml_yahoo.com>

19. Re: Rear Bumper Lettering
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 17:52:31 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Door won't close

Latch should move easily when you lift up the exterior door handle at
the same time.

If it doesn't move, ensure the door lock hasn't been activated.

Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 12:47:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Rear Bumper Lettering

DeLorean Motor Center has what you are looking for.

Dick Ryan
VIN 16867

Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 16:45:14 -0500
From: "Jace & Jenn" <judtnet_at_dml_cableone.net>
Subject: Nebraska and surrounding states club?

I was wondering if there is currently a Nebraska (and surrounding states) DeLorean club?  If not, are there enough people interested in starting one?  I'm feeling kind of lonely with not many owners here in the middle of the country (at least that I know of).  I would like a way to get to know some of you, hold outings with our cars, have tech sessions, etc.  What do you think?

Jace

Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 21:15:55 -0000
From: "ccssinc_net" <johnb_at_dml_ccssinc.com>
Subject: Promotional 83 Delorean for sale.

This 83 Delorean was used for Corporate promotions at shows.

Due to the company losing warehouse space Delorean most go.

Car has been and is stored in a climate controlled warehouse.

1983 Delorean 5 speed Gray interior
3253 miles
ser. # 16440

Asking Price $30,000.00

contact me off list johnb_at_ccssinc.com

Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 21:15:14 -0000
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Re: Fuel Economy

Everything you've done so far is good, but have you checked your
Lambda system? Does the frequency valve buzz? How old is your O2
sensor? Have you hooked it up to a gaz analyzer or hooked a dwell
meter up to the engine?

The freq valve may buzz but inputs from the O2 sensor may not be
reaching the ECU so the ECU may be running the freq valve at the
richer, "default" value.

Just some things to consider.

Rich A.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Phillips" <jmanis2_at_dml_y...> wrote:
> Having recently been able to drive the DeLorean for extended
periods
> of time I've just noticed that I've horrendous fuel efficiency
around
> 10 MPG.  My exhaust is extremely rich, so much so the fuel vapors
> will cause your eyes to tear up, hence my ongoing investigation of
> the CO2 adj.  Meanwhile I pulled the plugs to inspect them and to
> a compression check and expected all 6 to be saturated in fuel.
Much
> to my surprise 4 were clean and tan in color but the two closest to
> the firewall on the drivers side were wet with fuel.  I'm now
> suspecting that the problem may be the injectors and took some of
> Hervey's advise and poured in a bottle of Berryman 12 fuel cleaner
> into the tank.  Only a half tank later I've seen remarkable
improment
> in my milage (on track for 20MPG) but the fuel smell hasn't
improved
> much.  I'll be pulling the injectors and inspecting the spray this
> week as I suspect those two may not be closing fully and causeing
> fuel to leak into the cylinders.
>
> Am I on the right track with my assumptions?  Also, since my CO
screw
> is stripped I'm going to replace it with my newly pulled one.
Where

Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 22:02:05 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: CO2 screw supply

If the pivot shafts are like PRV K Jetronic, are not pressed in. Fit
is loose enough to slide the shaft by hand (I did loosen two screws on
the air sensor plate arm that may hold it tighter to the shaft --
splits around the shaft and is pinched by the screws, accessible from
underneath once the bottom of the fuel/air mixture unit is removed).
In such case I wouldn't hesitate disassembling completely to get the
adjustment screw out.

Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 22:15:33 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: car covers

Check out pics of CoverCraft's custom fit cover in #5939's photo
album. At one time Dave Stragand (Project Vixen) was a CoverCraft
distributor, if you wish to keep money "in the family". Otherwise JC
Whitney sells them.

Notice how much better the DeLo cover fits than the supposed custom
Lincoln covers next to it.

Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 17:19:28 -0500
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Since the fuel system cleaner made a difference you might be on the right
track here. Also make sure you have good spark at those cylinders. If
there's no spark you will also get wet plugs. Make sure that there isn't gas
in your crankcase. Depending on how long this problem has existed you may
have washed down the cylinder walls in those two cylinders with gas. If the
oil level appears to have risen, and/or the oil smells like gas you better
change it. Hopefully you have not damaged the cylinder walls and/or rings
due to washing down the cylinders with gas.

-Joe Kuchan

Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 15:25:02 -0700 (PDT)
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Rear Bumper Lettering

Same place - DeLoreean Motor Center - I got the black
and I really like them.  Subtle - but a nice touch.

Dick Ryan
VIN 16867

Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 17:56:36 -0500
From: "Jace & Jenn" <judtnet_at_dml_cableone.net>
Subject: Engine temp gauge not working

My engine temp gauge does not move or work at all (at engine start or when it's running).  I looked under the dash at all of the connections (without removing the binnacle) and they appear to be tight.  I even snaked my hand up there to push on them to be sure.  The engine connection is tight as well.  Is there some "quick fix" I can try before I start tearing things apart?  Or any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Jace

Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 23:11:12 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Low Brake Fluid Indicator: was Low fuel warning indicator

The black rubber in the middle is the test button. A black plug with 2
wires goes in to the orange part of the cap. You will have to look
around maybe the wires and plug are wrapped up around something or
maybe they were even cut off. I also recomend you remove the cap and
the little plastic resovoir that the float lives in and wipe it out.
Look at the brake fluid. If the fluid is dark and there is a lot of
dirt in there I would suck out what is in there, wipe out the resovoir
as best you can, refill with Castrol GTLMA DOT 4 and flush out the
brake system. Ditto for the clutch if you have the 5-speed. You should
change the brake fluid every 2 years to avoid any corrosion problems
as required in the owner's manual. This also keeps the bleeders from
freezing up, flushes out any dirt and air, and keeps the boiling point
of the brake fluid high. If the P.O. did this (or his mechanic) you
should be suspicous of ALL the work done on the car. Whoever did this
was reckless and had no regard for the safety of the driver of that
car. By disconnecting that plug you would have no warning if there was
a serious malfunction in the brake system. Make sure the emergency
brake is fully functional and check the brake pads and brake hoses.

Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 22:22:48 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Hard Tap Water In Cooling System

I respectfully disagree: My family lives in Washington DC suburbs. Tap
water up there has terrible mineral content. Plugs up shower heads,
interferes with toilet valves, collects in the bottom of hot water
heater, etc. Is the absolute last thing I'd want in tiny radiator
passages.

Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 22:33:57 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Initial Setting Of CO Screw

Unplug the coil, jump the RPM relay (remember that the pump spins
continuously like that, whether the car is energized or not -- don't
leave it jumped), pull an injector and place it in a bottle, and set
your CO screw lean. Then turn the engine with the starter motor
(lowering the air sensor plate naturally) and enrich the CO screw
until the pulled injector starts to spray. This should be close enough
to start the engine and make your final adjustments.

Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 20:22:00 EDT
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

If you need a space to store your DeLorean we now have Cincinnati Car
Storage up and running at _www.cincinnaticarstorage.com_
(http://www.cincinnaticarstorage.com)    We of course will discount DeLoreans.

Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 23:15:32 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

This may help but ultimately the "cure" is to have the fuel injectors
cleaned and tested, replace the injector seals, fix any vacuum leaks,
and set the mixture screw with an engine analyzer. For an initial
setting you can start with what you already have. You may only be 1/4
turn away from where you have to be. It is a VERY sensitive adjustment.

Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 20:31:16 -0400
From: S E Ableman <s.ableman_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>
Subject: How can I protect my connector plugs?

List,

    I cleaned up all of my plugs, both male & female. Does anyone sell a
paste like substance that will help keep my connections from needing a
cleaning once every 20 or so years? I hoping there is something like the
Blue Stuff that you used to spray on TV tuners years ago.    Is the
spray used for batteries to prevent corrosion a possibility?

Steve, 1089

Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 19:37:50 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Jeff, be sure to not leave the Berryman's in over night. It's sometime to
good of a cleaner and can hurt the o rings.

Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 18:54:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: Rod Dillman <rhdillman_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I bought the car cover that DMC Humble sells while in Pigeon Forge this past June. I had one of the origional brown cloth covers that was a dealer option but it is not water repellant and by now is becoming thread bare. The DMC cover is the best fitting, best made car cover that I have ever seen. In addition to the standard eyelets in the center that you put a locking cable through, it has two nylon straps,one front and one at the back that connect with nylon fasteners that keep the cover strapped tight when outside in the wind. The cover is water repellant and comes with a monogramed storage bag. When traveling I now cover the car at night and it greatly reduces the cleanup due to rain, dew, dust,etc.The cover is made of a silver polyester material and has the DMC logo on the front. The cover is thin which is great for compact travel storage but it is not one that would have the cushion properties of a thicker fabric. I have two other covers for other cars that have the thicker
 bonded layers made by Kimberly Clark(NOAH). I prefer the DeLorean cover fabric. If you are only interested in a cover for for indoor storage a thicker fabric may be preferred, for both indoor use and travel I can recommend the DMC Humble cover.

Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 01:07:38 -0000
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

www.deloreanmotorcenter.com also sells the letters in various colors
of carbon fibre.