From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2196
Date: Thursday, August 26, 2004 3:35 PM

1. Re: Source for coolant resovoir
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

2. Steering Rack Boots.
From: "Rustproof" <Rustproof_at_dml_comcast.net>

3. Arkansas Delorean
From: "Jason" <rowejj_at_dml_tds.net>

4. Re: Door Seals (was Door and window alignment)
From: "azman3us" <azman3us_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. Re: Update on my sputter
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

6. car for sale in chicago area
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

7. Re: car covers
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. Brake Clicking
From: steve trimble <stevetrimble52_at_dml_yahoo.com>

9. Re: Re: car covers
From: "Rustproof" <Rustproof_at_dml_comcast.net>

10. Alternator amps
From: nicholden_at_dml_yahoo.com

11. RE: Source for coolant resovoir
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

12. RE: Door Seals (was Door and window alignment)
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

13. RE: fuel gauge
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

14. Rear Bumper Lettering
From: "malevy_nj" <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

15. Re: Re: Orlando Owner Seeking Help... Ahh!
From: "fsminc_at_dml_juno.com" <FSMinc_at_dml_juno.com>

16. Window Replacement
From: Tom <dmctom_at_dml_earthlink.net>

17. RE: Re: Orlando Owner Seeking Help... Ahh!
From: "fsminc_at_dml_juno.com" <FSMinc_at_dml_juno.com>

18. Re: Promotional 83 Delorean for sale.
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

19. Re: Alternator amps
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

20. Re: Door Seals (was Door and window alignment)
From: Noah <sitz_at_dml_onastick.net>

21. 170 Mile DeLorean
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

22. Re: Rear Bumper Lettering
From: "Hank" <henry_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>

23. Re: Steering Rack Boots.
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

24. Cruise Night
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

25. RE: Alternator amps
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 19:42:42 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: Source for coolant resovoir

Did you try the other usual suspects?

www.deloreanmotorcenter.com
www.pjgrady.com

Sometimes a phone call is better.

Are you looking for an OEM plastic one? I have a bunch of them in
varying condition - no guarantees other than that they will hold
water when you first fill them. . . .Cheap.

Dave S

Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 17:48:11 -0400
From: "Rustproof" <Rustproof_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Steering Rack Boots.

Does anyone know where I can get a set of new steering rack boots? I went to NTB Tire & Battery for a front end alignment a couple of weeks ago. Two days ago, I found some fluid on my garage floor. I slipped under the car and you wouldn't believe what I found. When they adjusted the front tie rods, they neglected to unclamp the boots. They were twisted around like a cork screw! The driver's side finally cracked. Wish I had checked their work a little sooner. Live and learn.  Anyway, I have checked around and nobody seems to carry just the boots. Does anyone know a good cross reference or a source for these? Thanks in advance.
Rustproof
Vin #1559

Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 16:05:39 -0500
From: "Jason" <rowejj_at_dml_tds.net>
Subject: Arkansas Delorean

            Hey All,
                        I keep forgetting to ask this. I went to Mountain Home Arkansas (up by Missouri) a couple months ago.
There was a small car museum in town. It was only open on saturday, I got there on Sunday and left on Friday so I didn't
get to go to it. Anyway, I looked through the front window of the building and there was a red Delorean right in front of the
window. The buildings windows were tinted so I couldn't get that great a look at it. Anyone know about this car? I'm looking
to move to the area within the year so there may be a red one and a stainless one!

                                                                        Jason #5903

Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 21:29:56 -0000
From: "azman3us" <azman3us_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Door Seals (was Door and window alignment)

The recommended Adhesive to use for weather stripping and door seals
is 3M 8008 Super Weatherstrip Adhesive Black UPC 51135-08008

Randal

AZ-D Pres & The 3M Guy

Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 22:03:11 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Update on my sputter

PRV was not designed for the North American market (Volvo didn't start
importing until 1976). As such, you always have to compare the F
series squeezed through US government mandates versus A and E series
used elsewhere in the world (or Renault and Peugot European aps).

My contention is F series operates at the lean end of operable fuel/air
ratios (.5-1% CO versus 1.5-2%). Idles 150-250 RPM slower, which is
close to the threshhold of stalling. CPR reaches max counter pressure
approximately 75 degrees (farenheit) before European models (engine
not fully warmed up). Base ignition time is 3 degrees further from
TDC, with corresponding flatter advance curve from missing counter
weight in the distributor. You get the idea.

Experimenting with engine tuning and component swaps generates a LOT
of controversy in the DeLorean community. I don't understand the
objections. After all, the people objecting don't have their names on
the titles of the cars in question!

Simply monitor your plugs. Their condition will indicate what's going
on inside your combustion chambers. A too rich fuel mixture will show
up as *DRY* black deposits. Note that the same condition can show up
in an engine that isn't driven long enough to fully warm up, or not
enough RPM's to completely burn the mixture, in which case a "hotter"
plug with longer insulator may help. Over retarded ignition time can
also produce soot deposits.

Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 20:42:14 EDT
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: car for sale in chicago area

List,

My boss knows a guy in Baltimore who is seriously considering a DeLorean in
the chicago area. She gave the buyer my number so he could talk to me about
purchasing tips. I believe he is probably a Jiffy Lube franchisee or works for
Jiffy Lube/Pennzoil Quaker State. the car he is looking at has around 20,000
miles on the odometer and is a 1981, manual transmission.  he says the stainless
and bumpers are in good shape, the interior not bad either.  on a scale of
1-10 he rated it a 7 overall.  it is priced between $14K and low $20's.  anyone
in the chicago area know a car for sale that fits this description? i don't
know the exact location of the car.

the potential owner is not very DeLorean saavy and is interested in having a
knowledgable owner inspect the vehicle for him.  Luckily there are a lot of
you in this area who know their stuff!!  any volunteers? please email me ASAP if
you can help out and i will give more details as to location and such as i
find out.

[Dave Swingle - the buyer is in chicago right now inspecting the vehicle and
then is planning on heading home to think about it and will call me back
Thursday.  If you don't mind I will give him your number since i'm sure you'll be
able help him find an owner to check it out for him easier than i can! hope
that's OK ?  ]

Any Baltimore area clubs I can refer him to if he buys the car?

Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 19:45:41 -0000
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: car covers

I use a standard DMC cover with two blankets covering it for
padding. Then the carcoon style bubble surrounds the car. That is
the best protection I use during the long bleak months in the winter.

Joe OBrien

2524 & 16634

Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 18:22:25 -0700 (PDT)
From: steve trimble <stevetrimble52_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Brake Clicking

This spring I rebuilt my brakes, new pads, pistons and
kits. Cleaned,re-installed and bled. I keep hearing a
rather noticeable "click" everytime I put on the
brakes. Brakes work fine but the "click" is
irratating. Any ideal what is causing this?
Steve T

Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 17:52:28 -0400
From: "Rustproof" <Rustproof_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Re: car covers

I've had a Carcoon for two years now. The best investment you can make. I
purchased mine in Italy and shipped it home. If you're in the Northeast, it
will keep your car dry and clean all winter. It also has the added advantage
of exercizing and maintaing your battery as well. Very impressive too....
Rustproof
Vin #1559

Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 22:35:17 -0000
From: nicholden_at_dml_yahoo.com
Subject: Alternator amps

Hi, my old alternator has gone and my question is i have a brand new
bosch one available that i can modify quite easily to fit. This
alternator is 120 amps. Is this enough or am i best to go for a
higher one? I know amps seems to be a big issue with delorean
electrical systems. I have never driven the car with the original
motorola one so cant comment on its performance with 80-90 amps.

Cheers Nick 10927

Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 20:39:34 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Roland, If you want Stainless Steel I have them in stock.

Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 20:31:46 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Ryan & John, If you like I have them in stock from Heninger & Assoc.
John Hervey
www.specialTauto.com

Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 20:42:15 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: fuel gauge

Sean, Normally I can rebuild the original fuel sending unit for 1/2 the
price of a new one and warranty if for as long as you own the car.

Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 01:53:14 -0000
From: "malevy_nj" <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Rear Bumper Lettering

How about LIT letters??

http://www.geocities.com/malevy_nj/bumper/Nightime.jpg

Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 05:36:44 GMT
From: "fsminc_at_dml_juno.com" <FSMinc_at_dml_juno.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Orlando Owner Seeking Help... Ahh!

Also an Orlando DeLorean owner here. There are 5 of us I know personally.  Various electrical issues solved easily in my case.  Had problem with loss of a/c and power cycling problems that were fixed with the fan zilla.  Then problem with car losing power in rain...cover over one of the sparks was off and water getting in there.   Cover back on and problem fixed but replaced 20 year + sparks for good measure (car had 3,000 miles when I got it a few years ago and now has about 9,000).   Battery was going dead, etc. and put in new battery with kill switch.   Also replaced door closed sensors so dome light not draining battery.   Had cold start problem that hard cranking was draining battery...actually this problem was fuel accumulator.  That was replaced and ended my starting/dead battery problems.  Like everyone, I'd like a stronger altenator so let me know how the 150 amp unit works for you once all the bugs are out of your elec system.  In this Florida heat we need the a/c going full blast, light on in the daytime rain storms, and non-stock cd playing stereo full blast...original amp can't take it.   Keep me informed.  Take care, Curt, FSMinc_at_dml_juno.com

Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 08:32:44 -0400 (GMT-04:00)
From: Tom <dmctom_at_dml_earthlink.net>
Subject: Window Replacement

I have a new drivers side toll booth window with the plastic hardware attached.  I would like to know
If anyone can give me an idea of how to replace the window.   Can it be done by just removing the upper panel
or does the arm rest need to come off too?

I've been inside my doors before for solenoid replacement and new door handles etc... so I'm not afraid to give it a try.   If anyone has some hints, tips or a step-by-step please let me know

Thanks

Tom Watkins

Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 05:45:39 GMT
From: "fsminc_at_dml_juno.com" <FSMinc_at_dml_juno.com>

Just one last thought...Winter Park Auto Electric on Fairbanks near 17-92 is a small electric shop that is owned by an automotive electrical genius.   Has't worked on my D but he'd be putting in my 150 amp alternator.   He did some elec work on my 59 Cadillac that was a mess.   If he can do that he can do anything.   Might also suggest Irish Mikes on Forsyth between Colonial and Aloma.  A few D owners in Orlando, including myself, have had a fantastic experience with them...they work on Formula One race cars and British and German sports (and your occassional 12 cylinder Lamborghinni).  They are fast and very very very very professional and well qualified and they know their way around the DeLorean given that a few of us use them.

Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 04:32:01 -0000
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Promotional 83 Delorean for sale.

I've also got a perfect shape 83 Delorean,

Always in indoor heated storage, & carcoon,

Black interior, 5 speed, VIN# 16634 3,413 miles,

Only $29,000 contact me off list if you want to save $1,000.

Joe OBrien

Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 16:52:03 -0000
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>
Subject: Re: Alternator amps

120 amps will do you just fine.  I had the original Ducellier and it
was OK, but I never ran it with the AC.  Now I run an 180 amp
alternator and it's a beast.

Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 11:37:34 -0400
From: Noah <sitz_at_dml_onastick.net>

On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 09:29:56PM -0000, azman3us wrote:

> The recommended Adhesive to use for weather stripping and door seals
> is 3M 8008 Super Weatherstrip Adhesive Black UPC 51135-08008

Which begs the question: "Is there a canonical list of the recommended
adhesive for the various parts of the car?" I occasionally see
references on this list to "use 3m adhesive" or "use 3m gook" or some
such. An offical list (or even an unofficial-but-mostly-accurate-list)
would be cool. Yay FAQ. =)

Noah

Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 12:22:26 -0400
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: 170 Mile DeLorean

Well things are weird when you have a pristine low mileage car laying around.

I have sold the 170 mile car for I think the 4th time but whose counting.

The new owner (Yes. NEW owner is in the UK so this car will begin a journey back over to England.)

The strange part is that with each person interested in buying the car there were anothe two that wanted it at that time and by the time the deal had fallen through they had found other cars.

This time again there was the one guy from the UK then I got two more Looking for one.

Oh well at least its gone now so the web page will be removed in about a week so if you want one last look at the 170 mile car (and it still has 170 miles from a year ago go ahead its at deloreancarshow.com just click on the concours car add.

Thanks and I am sure the new owner will love it

Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 11:03:46 -0400
From: "Hank" <henry_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Rear Bumper Lettering

>How about LIT letters??
> http://www.geocities.com/malevy_nj/bumper/Nightime.jpg

That's pretty cool, Mark. Is that your car?  Can you tell us more?

BTW, any comments on the legality of letters that bright on the rear of the car?

-Hank

Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 16:56:44 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Steering Rack Boots.

Why don't you just take the car back to the shop that caused this? Let
them sweat it out getting the boots fixed since they did it. Even
though the venders have a source for the boots they usually won't sell
them separately. They prefer to rebuild the rack and replace the boots
as part of the service. If you remove the broken boot and take it to a
large auto store they should be able to match up something. If this is
the way this particular shop works then I would wonder how good a job
they did for you on your alignment. Most mechanics take "some" pride
in their work. This is just sloppy. Of course they will probably say
you came in with torn boots but they never told you they should be
replaced  or did they?

Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 17:04:30 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Cruise Night

Last night I went to Bear Mountain for a Cruise Night. The weather was
perfect. It is held every night during the summer on Wednesday night
near West Point in New York. The announcer said we broke the unoffical
record for the # of cars. There were 1,021 cars and I was the ONLY
Delorean! I met a woman who claimed her sister, Rose, was the personal
seamstriss to Christina Ferrare. She used to do all her clothes and
the drapes and such for the mansion. Said she still has the fitting
maniken for C/F. Just a bit of trivia and you never know who you might
meet at a show! Of course you get the ones too that said "I new
someone that had a Delorean once"! or some tell you about the one they
saw parked behind a house, inside the house, rotting under the tree,
etc, etc.

Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 13:25:05 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Nick,
Depending on how it was built. The 120 amps rating is rated cold. They are
cold for about 2 to 3 minuets then they start heating up. Normally they will
drop about 15% of the rated cold output. That will make it about 102 amps
Maybe. The Brute master is rated Hot as normal driving conditions. Yours
will work, but some of the safety features I build in aren't there and the
output will be about 10 amps more than original. It's is however better than
the original.
John Hervey
www.specialTauto.com