From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2201
Date: Monday, August 30, 2004 3:33 AM

1. Re: Re: Arkansas Delorean
From: "Jason" <rowejj_at_dml_tds.net>

2. plastic ignition distributor supports
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

3. Re: Rear Bumper Lettering
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. RE: vacuum solenoid wire colors?
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

5. Re: Window Replacement
From: kevin creason <kcreason77_at_dml_yahoo.com>

6. Re: Retrofitting Volvo Aux Air Valve
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

7. Re: SIDE STRIPES
From: "M. P. Olans" <mpolans_at_dml_creeper.com>

8. RE: Torsion bar adjustment = cake!
From: "Montgomery, Ken" <kenm_at_dml_csus.edu>

9. Re: Turn Signals not working.
From: jvdmc12_at_dml_aol.com

10. Video Tape
From: "Robert Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

11. Re: Rear Bumper Lettering
From: "Richard" <dmc_driver_at_dml_yahoo.ca>

12. Re: Rear Bumper Lettering - daytime
From: "Michael C. Babb" <mcb_at_dml_babbtechnology.com>

13. Impact Absorber.
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

14. Re: Rear Bumper Lettering
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

15. RE: Re: SIDE STRIPES
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

16. RE: Re: Rear Bumper Lettering
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

17. Auto trans inhibitor switch
From: "Thomas Mc Auley" <dmc4087_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

18. 4th Angle Drive
From: "Robert Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

19. RE: Re: Rear Bumper Lettering
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

20. Re: SIDE STRIPES
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

21. Re: Auto trans inhibitor switch
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

22. Re: Impact Absorber.
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

23. Re: 4th Angle Drive
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 13:48:12 -0500
From: "Jason" <rowejj_at_dml_tds.net>
Subject: Re: Re: Arkansas Delorean

                 Thanks to everyone that replied. I wasn't looking to buy
it. I was just gonna move there and
was surprised to see one in that small of a town.  There is also another
town called Hardy, a population
of less than 1,000, that has a small car museum they say the have something
from a 1908 sears runabout
to an '81 Delorean.  Don't know anything other than that about it.

                                                   Jason #5903

Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 18:35:17 -0000
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>
Subject: plastic ignition distributor supports

Does anyone know how these attach to the distributor?

It is part numbers 102686  and 102685.  I re-assembled my ignition
distributor some time ago, and then I found these.  Do I need them,
and if so, do I need to remove the vacuum advance canister to attach
them or?

Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 12:02:41 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Rear Bumper Lettering

It is not all that super high-tech..  However, I have
put a lot of trial-and-error work in to it..  I'd love
to sell a few to recoup the investment more than
anything.  I spent WAY too much money on it.

A few people have figured it out.  It is not that
complex..  It may be some time before I am able to
sell it as a kit, so I don't want to give anyone a
head start on copying it.

I'd love to some of the DMC vendors interested.  They
have the capital to properly make and market this item
where I don't.

It does require a small cut in the bumper, but no need
to use a router!!

Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 15:07:13 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: vacuum solenoid wire colors?

Matt, If I'm not mistaken, Green and red. Just switch for correct polarity,
the non color on the diagram was left off. ( red ).

Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 14:57:09 -0700 (PDT)
From: kevin creason <kcreason77_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Window Replacement

Yikes!
I'm embarassed! I need to train this computer to use
the right editor for html files... not that bloated
thing.
It's all fixed.

http://texascreasons.homedns.org/kevin/delorean/howto/window_track.html

Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 01:42:46 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Retrofitting Volvo Aux Air Valve

PRV equipped Volvo's have water pump mounted fans, not electric...

Aux air valve has absolutely nothing to do with the cooling system
anyway. Is basically a one way version of the idle speed motor (allows
additional air past the throttle plates cold, gradually closing as the
engine warms up). Was standard issue on all Volvo K Jetronic PRV's
until 1981, which of course means one can easily be retrofitted on a
DeLorean if so desired. Mounts in the same place on driver's intake
rail as an idle speed motor, using the same barbs under the fuel/air
mixture unit and on the cold start tube.

I've uploaded a pic to #5939's photo album of one from a Volvo Bertone.

Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 03:11:04 -0000
From: "M. P. Olans" <mpolans_at_dml_creeper.com>
Subject: Re: SIDE STRIPES

Bob,
     The stripes look great and appear to have the original graining
in them.  That should make the purists happy...:)  I have a question
for you though: Are they made from 3M Scotch-Cal as the originals
were?  I ask because of this-3M Scotch-Cal is UV resistant.  Is the
new material you are using also UV resistant and to what degree?  It
has been my experience (especially here in the desert) that materials
such as the side stripes are prone to failure from the intense
sunlight/UV radiation.  UV radiation failure would cause the stripes
to bubble and peel off of the car.  Have you done any testing with the
new material or can we be assured that it is of equal or better
quality than the 20+ year old original 3M material still stuck to the
sides of our cars?

Matthew
VIN 16816

Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 23:54:09 -0700
From: "Montgomery, Ken" <kenm_at_dml_csus.edu>
Subject: RE: Torsion bar adjustment = cake!

You'll find it on http://www.time-traveler.org/delorean/. Go to the
'DeLorean Shows' link and see the 2002 DeLorean Car Show - Memphis.
It's an 8.3 meg RealMedia format file.

Enjoy!

Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 23:01:40 -0400
From: jvdmc12_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Turn Signals not working.

Austin-
     I currently am dealing with the same problem on my 1970 GTO, the lamps come on for running lights, my hazard lights all work perfectly, but the turn signals dont seem to work at all.... im still tracing thru my wiring harness checking connections..., possibly could be a similar situation with bad wiring or connection, but if your hazard lights stopped working as well, the little box that controls the relay time for the blinkers might be shot causing the problems...  -Jeff

Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 03:02:21 -0000
From: "Robert Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Video Tape

Will the person who sent me the BBC video tape please contact me, I
lost your contact information.

Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 15:20:39 -0000
From: "Richard" <dmc_driver_at_dml_yahoo.ca>

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "malevy_nj" <malevy_nj_at_dml_y...> wrote:

> How about LIT letters??
>
> http://www.geocities.com/malevy_nj/bumper/Nightime.jpg

That looks so cool!  Do you have any pictures of what it looks like
during the daytime?

Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 11:48:26 -0400
From: "Michael C. Babb" <mcb_at_dml_babbtechnology.com>
Subject: Re: Rear Bumper Lettering - daytime

Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 16:18:58 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Impact Absorber.

After replacing my water pump, I am now in the middle of reassembling
the engine, and soon, I'll be remounting the rear facia. In the mean
time, I have a quick question.

While working on the back of my car, a good portion of the coating on
the rear impact absorber has sloughed right off the foam in sheets.
Does anyone know what I can spray back on, to cover the exposed
areas? Looking at it, I understand that this is to keep the foam from
rotting, by keeping water spray off of it. So I'd like to keep this
protection in place.

Any ideas on what to use?

Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 13:26:08 -0500
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

I figure you could use the small custom peices of indiglo material, cut to
fit
and drill a small hole through the middle of each letter for the wire, and
glue each letter in.
Right?
The problem is that these little indiglo squares are really expensive.
It wold COST a few hundred bucks to do.....and you would have to drill in
the facsia
and most likely remove it to get it work right.

-VB

Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 13:34:19 -0500
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Re: SIDE STRIPES

I don't want to reveal any sources, but they are NOT made by 3M.
However, consider the technolgy changes that have happened with these
compounds over the last 20+ years. These stripes are very THICK, they are
not thin sheets of vinyl that are used on signs. Again, I can't tell you too
much about them in order to protect my source but they are made for outdoor
use, and made to take a beating.
I haven't had the chance to get all the information about them as far as UV
protection,
but considering the original application I would not think that would be a
problem.

Time will tell, and they are cheap enough to replace every 10, 20 years if
need be.
Although I doubt that will be the case.
The cars I have seen that have a good looking set of preserved stripes have
been garage kept.
The ones that are faded and ashey have been outside and in the sun and snow.
The bottom line is, if you leave your car out in the Arizona sun then every
part of it is going to deteriate....the louvers, the bumpers, the rub
strips, the interior....all of it.
Nothing is SUN PROOF.

- VB

>From: "M. P. Olans" <mpolans_at_dml_creeper.com>
>To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
>Subject: [DML] Re: SIDE STRIPES
>Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 03:11:04 -0000
>
>Bob,
>      The stripes look great and appear to have the original graining
>in them.  That should make the purists happy...:)  I have a question
>for you though: Are they made from 3M Scotch-Cal as the originals
>were?  I ask because of this-3M Scotch-Cal is UV resistant.  Is the
>new material you are using also UV resistant and to what degree?  It
>has been my experience (especially here in the desert) that materials
>such as the side stripes are prone to failure from the intense
>sunlight/UV radiation.  UV radiation failure would cause the stripes
>to bubble and peel off of the car.  Have you done any testing with the
>new material or can we be assured that it is of equal or better
>quality than the 20+ year old original 3M material still stuck to the
>sides of our cars?
>
>Matthew
>VIN 16816

[moderator snipped long quote]

Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 13:41:36 -0500
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Rear Bumper Lettering

hmm... I always try to over engineer everything and make it too complicated
because I want it to look perfect, but I figured out how this was done.
It is a single peice of indiglo strip with a black peice of cut vinyl that
covers it and overlaps,
the whole thing is stuck over the letters and appears flat.
Then only one small hole for the wire needs to be drilled into a letter
behind it.
It probably looks awesome at night, but in the day it looks like this:

http://www.geocities.com/malevy_nj/bumper/DayLight.jpg

This is not a bad idea, however I would use a laser cut peice of plastic
instead of vinyl.
-VB

Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 21:22:32 -0000
From: "Thomas Mc Auley" <dmc4087_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: Auto trans inhibitor switch

Hi guys, can anyone tell me where the inhibitor switch is for the
auto trans, I cant find it, and the manuals arent helpful.
Thanks!
Thomas

Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 00:14:32 -0000
From: "Robert Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: 4th Angle Drive

I am going on my 4th angle drive.
I am freaking out right now.
DMCH, and Warren have been good about replacing them because they
basically know they are crap.... but I want to know who else
out there is having this problem.
Anyone else out there?

I have replaced the lower cable, checked the upper cable
and even checked out the lambda counter and all of them
spin freely. The angles drives them selves just keep locking up.
Almost always when backing up.

This last unit was noticablly off center and wobbly.
It lasted around the block, when I backed in the driveway it snapped.

Is there a solution?
- Videobob
VIN#5278

Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 18:01:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Over ENGINEER??  What have you engineered?!

A radio harness that could damage most modern
high-power stereos?

A DMC logo for the shifter (did you get permission to
use the DMC logo?? LOL!)

A radio antenna that you source from someone else?

LED's that you also source?

Stainless steel bumper letters?  The same ones we can
get from ANY DeLorean vendor?

Ah, and the latest..  a COPY of the DeLorean side
stripe.

Oh, Maybe it is the DVD you sell with video clips that
have copyrights, and  I am sure you do not have
permission to sell.

Can you explain to me what "Engineering" was involved?
 Heck, what product do you sell that is even a unique
idea, if not a unique product?

For the lit bumper, I don't see how plastic would work
well, and keep it flush with the bumper..

The daytime picture shows some of the flaws with this
particular sample..  There was a lamination problem,
so it had ripples in it.

As far as looking perfect, as I said before..  It is
not ready for sale because it does have some problems.
 It has also has not been tested with the elements
(sun, rain, snow).

I am sure you will have you own version of this idea
soon.. Much better than mine, with a 300% markup.

And, I would like to publicly thank Ebay for adding
the feature of excluding specific vendors from a
search.

Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 01:19:20 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

I disagree with your statement that nothing is "sunproof". On just
about any of the Deloreans I have seen, in whatever shape they may be
in, the Stainless Steel is still fine except for some scratches! I
believe that is why even a 20 year old Delorean that has not been well
taken care of and "left-for-dead" outside can still look as good as it
does! Any other 20 year old car taken care of like that usually has no
paint left. No one thinks to look underneath where the "real" money
will have to be spent.

Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 01:26:42 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Auto trans inhibitor switch

You are right, the manuals do not go into a lot of detail on this. It
starts with the combo switch on the trans and winds up at the junction
plug on the firewall next to the diagnostic plug. It goes through the
start inhibit relay (#28) M:07:01-02. You can follow it on the wiring
diagham #105 _at_dml_9D. I would start with the relay. Pull it and make sure
none of the connectors backed out and is not making contact. Then I
would check the connections electricaly from there.

Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 01:32:13 -0000
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>
Subject: Re: Impact Absorber.

POR-15 would fit this role perfectly.  Or how about some fiberglass resin?

Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 01:38:56 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: 4th Angle Drive

My theory is that inside the instrument cluster there are plastic
pins. They are used to hold things together with metal clips slid over
them. I have seen them break off and when that happens the metal clip
is still attached to the loose plastic pin. They move around inside
together until the metal clip is attracted to the magnet inside the
speedometer. It gets caught in the speedometer and jams it up. This
creates a large drag on the speedometer cables and angle drive. I have
pulled these pieces out of one of the speedometers I worked on. If you
keep eating up angle drives I suggest you pull the instrument cluster
and open it up. Remove the speedometer and account for all the plastic
pins and clips. Visually examine the speedometer to see if any are
stuck on the magnet. I have been able to crazy-glue the pins back on
and reuse the clips. Another thing you can check is that the square
cable that goes into the plastic drive cap is not too long. If it is
when you put the wheel on you are putting a lot of pressure on the
gears in the angle drive. The simple cure here is to just cut the
square cable a tiny bit shorter. You should also have the support
bracket for the lower cable. If it is missing you should replace it.