From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2208
Date: Thursday, September 02, 2004 5:44 PM

There are 25 messages in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

1. Re: Leak
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

2. Re: The problem with my car...
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

3. Speaker wire
From: "Ed Garbade" <edgarbade_at_dml_hotmail.com>

4. Re: Josh's tech session
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>

5. RE: Funny Fascias
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

6. Re: Looking for a DMC
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. Re: Fascia paint
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

8. More NJ DeLoreans for sale.
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

9. Re: Looking for a DMC
From: Rod Dillman <rhdillman_at_dml_yahoo.com>

10. RE: More NJ DeLoreans for sale.
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

11. Re: Funny Fascias
From: andydandy777_at_dml_aol.com

12. Re: Speaker wire
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

13. Re: Looking for a DMC
From: "waldwagen" <waldwagen_at_dml_hotmail.com>

14. Re: Carpet
From: "austinbrumley" <austinbrumley_at_dml_delorean.com>

15. Re: The problem with my car...
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>

16. Re: Funny Fascias
From: Todd Nelson <tan5732_at_dml_rit.edu>

17. Headliner Materiel
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

18. Leather Restoration
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

19. Re: Funny Fascias
From: "Richard" <dmc_driver_at_dml_yahoo.ca>

20. Re: Looking for a DMC
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

21. Re: Looking for a DMC
From: Todd Nelson <tan5732_at_dml_rit.edu>

22. Looking for Information on Vin 4754
From: Daniel Shane <daniel.shane_at_dml_btinternet.com>

23. Re: Looking for a DMC
From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>

24. Re: Hard Plastic Fascias/Headlights
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

25. Re: Re: Funny Fascias
From: Steve Stankiewicz <protodelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>





Message: 1
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 02:23:24 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Leak

The leak is probably occuring at the curve of the seal where water 
is going UNDER the seal at the curve and into the car. Open the door 
and put a little water in the track and see. I have seen this leak 
frequently. A little black silicone will fix it.

Harold McElraft - 3354


--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_y...> 
wrote:
> I have a water leak, not a good thing in Oregon, on the passenger 
side. I comes in between the A Post trim and the dash, the little 
seam (gap) right above the door switch. I've cleaned the channel 
from the roof down, wasn't very dirty, to let water run freely. 
Still leaks. Any other ideas? 
> 
> 		
> ---------------------------------
> Do you Yahoo!?
> Yahoo! Mail - Helps protect you from nasty viruses.
> 
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]




________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 2
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 02:33:39 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: The problem with my car...

First ensure the transmission is indeed in Park (mechanical parking
pawls have locked the rear wheels).

Then jump the starter solenoid (trigger) itself. Can use the big
supply line next to it as your 12v source.

If the car is not energized your engine will simply spin.

Bill Robertson
#5939

>--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Thomas Mc Auley <dmc4087_at_dml_y...> wrote:
> Ok, heres the overall problem with my car...it wont start, wont even
> crank. Its an automatic, so I have checked the linkage which seems
> fine because it makes contact with the inhibitor switch when in
> neutral and park.
> When I try to start it, I can hear relays clicking behind passenger
> seat so they seem fine (if I hold in the ignition, the microswitch
> in the engine bay ticks constantly).
> The starter fuse seems to melt down whenever the car is cranked
> continuously (I got the car like that, and it happened to me last
> week) and I do not know if that is normal.
> I got a multi digital reader thingy which is complicated to work,
> but I do get readouts from the relay sockets, battery connections
> and even that fuse socket for the starter, so I think that is good.
> 
> I am going to attempt putting a 25 amp cable between the positive
> battery terminal and Pin 85 of the starter relay, which may start
> the car. (thanks to Nick Tomlinson for his advice!)
> 
> Clearly, I am not mechanically/electrically minded but I am picking
> it up as I go along. So, can anyone tell me, or suggest what the
> problem is?
> 
> Thanks,
> Thomas
> Vin #4087
> 
> 
> 		
> ---------------------------------
>  ALL-NEW Yahoo! Messenger - all new features - even more fun!  
> 
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]




________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 3
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 22:36:31 -0400
From: "Ed Garbade" <edgarbade_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Speaker wire

This is probably simple for some.

I was removing the front speakers and the passenger side one was 
disconnected already.  So... what color are the speaker wires to the front 
passenger side speaker?  I could only find two connectors (one connector had 
one purple wire and the second connector had 2 purple wires connected) loose 
in that area.  Purple seems a bit weird to me for speakers.  If these are 
the correct wires, which one is the positive side?

Of course I was working after dark and lighting wasn't great so I could be 
off.

Ed
10541

_________________________________________________________________
Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today - it's FREE! 
http://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/




________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 4
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 22:57:10 -0400
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>
Subject: Re: Josh's tech session

Add to that a frame swap, if I can talk Mike into it!  We WILL be going 
all weekend starting late Friday night...the more the merrier...and I'll 
be offering a special discount on my parts stock to all in attendance.

Beer and food will be provided, although I don't think I can top the 
Plakosh's Pittsburgh event..unless they come!  *hint, hint guys!*

Hope to see everyone there...e-mail me off list for my address and 
directions.  (jhaldeman(AT)fuse.net)

Thanks,
Josh

kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com wrote:

>Since I rarely get anything done at a tech session for me and end up  working 
>on everything else (just joking) I thought I would give josh's session a  
>twist and get into a more dynamic project.
> 
>At the tech session we are going to swap an engine, that is remove and  
>reinstall an engine in one day if we get enough people to help 
>If not I will just finish it the next day.
> 
>I usually do this on my own over the course of three days so its not that  
>big of job but between the beer and food (right josh) it ought to be fun.
> 
>Parts are all clean and ready to go on the new engine although it is just a  
>long block now and has nothing on it
> 
>If interested see Josh for directions and see you there
> 
>We are also going to do a windshield like we did in Chicago.
> 
>Ken
>
>  
>





________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 5
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 22:08:13 -0500
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Funny Fascias

I am sure you will get a hundred responses to this, but here is mine.....
They melt and warp, some say it is from the lights but I don't think that is 
the case since they usually warp over the high beams and we hardly ever use 
those.
It is simply sun damage and they were not designed with enough support under 
there.
Once they are warped I am not sure if you can fix it.
What people have come up with is to epoxy in some metal slats in the area.
Basically, when you decide to replace the fascia you would put these on 
before you mount it.

I screwed up on mine, I decided to do it myself and use too long and too 
thick of metal pieces and now I have the opposite problem where you can see 
the dimples of where they are mounted.
Basically, the hot sun shrink wraps the soft plastic.

Personally, I have always felt that someone should make a hard fiberglass 
replacement for the
fascia...some would argue safety calls for the more pliable plastic....but I 
assure you that a fiberglass fascia would blast apart just as easily in a 
crash as the rubber one will, and might even offer more protection!

I might build myself one out os carbon fiber and see how it looks.
Would anyone else be interested in one of these if I did?
- VB



>From: Todd Nelson <tan5732_at_dml_rit.edu>
>Reply-To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
>To: DMC News <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
>Subject: [DML] Funny Fascias
>Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 18:35:05 -0400
>
>Does anyone know why you see many Deloreans that have bent up fascias right 
>above the headlights?
>
>Todd
>
>
>[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>
>
>To address comments privately to the moderating team, please address:
>moderators_at_dml_dmcnews.com
>
>For more info on the list, tech articles, cars for sale see www.dmcnews.com
>
>To search the archives or view files, log in at 
>http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews
>Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>
>
>





________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 6
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 03:49:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Looking for a DMC

wow, 35K?  I thought D1 was up to th 65K range by now!

If you want turnkey, then a restored car is the way to
go.  PJ Grady, and DMCH also sell restored cars.  I
beleive they also include a warranty.


--- waldwagen <waldwagen_at_dml_hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> 
> I'm new tot the group. I've always admired these
> cars and have 
> dreamed of having one. My wife made me a deal-if I
> lose 100 pounds 
> and complete a marathon, she's going to buy me one.
> The only caveat 
> was that the car is completely restored and need no
> work. 
> 
> Any suggestions?  I've been looking at
> Deloreanone.com, they sell 
> turnkeys for 35k.



		
_______________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
Win 1 of 4,000 free domain names from Yahoo! Enter now.
http://promotions.yahoo.com/goldrush



________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 7
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 03:20:46 -0000
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>
Subject: Re: Fascia paint

I just wanted to point out that a few months ago I purchased an epoxy
primer, base coat, and 2 part clearcoat to paint my fascias, but I
think I may end up just buying a set of Josh's fascias since I don't
yet have a paint gun.  All of the components are made by PPG, and none
have been opened since I purchased them.  It IS the correct PPG color
for the fascias, and not some stainless-lookalike concoction.  Contact
me off list if you are interested.  

Matt
#1604






________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 8
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 03:54:21 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: More NJ DeLoreans for sale.

I know of someone looking to sell 2 Automatic, Grey
DeLoreans.  

One has low mileage, and looks to be in good shape. 
It has been in garage storage for many years and does
not have the typical sun damage.

The other looks to have more usage on it.  It has also
been indoors, but has been at a shop for "repair" for
a long time.  It needs more cosmetic work.

I took a quick look at them, but can inspect further
is anyone is interested.

BOTH are for sale by the same private owner.



		
_______________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
Win 1 of 4,000 free domain names from Yahoo! Enter now.
http://promotions.yahoo.com/goldrush



________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 9
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 04:22:08 -0700 (PDT)
From: Rod Dillman <rhdillman_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Looking for a DMC

Wald- I once bought a DeLorean with potential "cheap" only to find that after I had spent over $6,000 on new parts that it had a rusted and dangerous frame. I traded it to DMC Humble for one of their refurbished  cars. I have owned the new car for three years and it has been a pleasure to drive and trouble free. I can drive it on long trips with confidence, with my fixer I never got farther from home than my AAA towing mileage limit.My advice is for you to lose the 100 pounds and call DMC Humble.I recomend that you get the xenon boosted headlight option that they offer, they are great at night and the cost was only $200. Good luck on the diet, I lost 30 pounds on the Atkins diet a year and a half ago and have kept it off. It is the only diet that I have ever managed to stay on for more than two meals.

waldwagen <waldwagen_at_dml_hotmail.com> wrote:Hi,

I'm new tot the group. I've always admired these cars and have 
dreamed of having one. My wife made me a deal-if I lose 100 pounds 
and complete a marathon, she's going to buy me one. The only caveat 
was that the car is completely restored and need no work. 

Any suggestions? I've been looking at Deloreanone.com, they sell 
turnkeys for 35k.




To address comments privately to the moderating team, please address:
moderators_at_dml_dmcnews.com

For more info on the list, tech articles, cars for sale see www.dmcnews.com

To search the archives or view files, log in at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews 
Yahoo! Groups Links







__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around 
http://mail.yahoo.com 

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]




________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 10
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 08:48:18 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: More NJ DeLoreans for sale.

Marc,
This is the guy that called me and Rob about a month ago about wanting to
sell them and wouldn't answer specific questions about Rust and was evading
other questions about the cars. Beware.
John Hervey
www.specialtauto.com




-----Original Message-----
From: Marc Levy [mailto:malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 02, 2004 4:54 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] More NJ DeLoreans for sale.



I know of someone looking to sell 2 Automatic, Grey
DeLoreans.

One has low mileage, and looks to be in good shape.
It has been in garage storage for many years and does
not have the typical sun damage.

The other looks to have more usage on it.  It has also
been indoors, but has been at a shop for "repair" for
a long time.  It needs more cosmetic work.

I took a quick look at them, but can inspect further
is anyone is interested.

BOTH are for sale by the same private owner.




_______________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
Win 1 of 4,000 free domain names from Yahoo! Enter now.
http://promotions.yahoo.com/goldrush



To address comments privately to the moderating team, please address:
moderators_at_dml_dmcnews.com

For more info on the list, tech articles, cars for sale see www.dmcnews.com

To search the archives or view files, log in at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews
Yahoo! Groups Links











________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 11
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 09:50:37 EDT
From: andydandy777_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Funny Fascias

 
In a message dated 9/2/2004 7:36:54 AM Central Daylight Time,  
videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com writes:

I am  sure you will get a hundred responses to this, but here is mine.....
They  melt and warp, some say it is from the lights but I don't think that is 
 
the case since they usually warp over the high beams and we hardly ever  use 
those.
It is simply sun damage and they were not designed with  enough support under 
there.
Once they are warped I am not sure if you  can fix it.
What people have come up with is to epoxy in some metal slats  in the area.
Basically, when you decide to replace the fascia you would put  these on 
before you mount it.

I screwed up on mine, I decided to do  it myself and use too long and too 
thick of metal pieces and now I have  the opposite problem where you can see 
the dimples of where they are  mounted.
Basically, the hot sun shrink wraps the soft  plastic.

Personally, I have always felt that someone should make a hard  fiberglass 
replacement for the
fascia...some would argue safety calls  for the more pliable plastic....but I 
assure you that a fiberglass fascia  would blast apart just as easily in a 
crash as the rubber one will, and  might even offer more protection!

I might build myself one out os  carbon fiber and see how it looks.
Would anyone else be interested in one  of these if I did?
- VB



>From: Todd Nelson  <tan5732_at_dml_rit.edu>
>Reply-To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
>To:  DMC News <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
>Subject: [DML] Funny  Fascias
>Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 18:35:05 -0400
>
>Does  anyone know why you see many Deloreans that have bent up fascias right 
 
>above the  headlights?
>
>Todd
>
[moderator snip]



________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 12
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 14:00:37 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Speaker wire

Single purple (with barely visible pink stripe) is the courtesy light
ground wire to the door plunger. Has no voltage so you wouldn't really
hurt anything plugging it where it doesn't belong. 

Double purple with no stripe is the glove box light supply wire,
continuing to the front lever light. Is hot -- do not plug it into
anything other than a DC electrical device (preferably the glove box
bulb). Note also that it is hot all the time (is not keyed to the
ignition switch).

If I'm not mistaken speaker wires are black, joined with webbing
between them.

Bill Robertson
#5939

>--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Ed Garbade" <edgarbade_at_dml_h...> wrote:
> This is probably simple for some.
> 
> I was removing the front speakers and the passenger side one was 
> disconnected already.  So... what color are the speaker wires to the
front 
> passenger side speaker?  I could only find two connectors (one
connector had 
> one purple wire and the second connector had 2 purple wires
connected) loose 
> in that area.  Purple seems a bit weird to me for speakers.  If
these are 
> the correct wires, which one is the positive side?
> 
> Of course I was working after dark and lighting wasn't great so I
could be 
> off.
> 
> Ed
> 10541
> 
> _________________________________________________________________
> Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today - it's
FREE! 
> http://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/




________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 13
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 14:37:21 -0000
From: "waldwagen" <waldwagen_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Looking for a DMC

Hi,

I'm down ten pounds already. My daily running is doing wonders for 
my metabolism.

I looked at Delorean Motor Cars website and they offer completely 
refurbished DMC's with a few performance upgrades for 35k. What do 
you think?

Also, how does your DMC ride on long trips?

Thanks

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Rod Dillman <rhdillman_at_dml_y...> wrote:
> Wald- I once bought a DeLorean with potential "cheap" only to find 
that after I had spent over $6,000 on new parts that it had a rusted 
and dangerous frame. I traded it to DMC Humble for one of their 
refurbished  cars. I have owned the new car for three years and it 
has been a pleasure to drive and trouble free. I can drive it on 
long trips with confidence, with my fixer I never got farther from 
home than my AAA towing mileage limit.My advice is for you to lose 
the 100 pounds and call DMC Humble.I recomend that you get the xenon 
boosted headlight option that they offer, they are great at night 
and the cost was only $200. Good luck on the diet, I lost 30 pounds 
on the Atkins diet a year and a half ago and have kept it off. It is 
the only diet that I have ever managed to stay on for more than two 
meals.
> 
[moderator snip]



________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 14
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 15:01:37 -0000
From: "austinbrumley" <austinbrumley_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Re: Carpet

I am ordering that kit on monday, i'll let you know what it looks 
like.




________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 15
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 09:56:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: The problem with my car...

If you can get some wire on the starter and connect
the two bolts on the tail end of the starter, and it
cranks, you know you're not getting power somewhere. 
I would check the resistor in the engine compartment. 
There are some brown wires behind the passenger seat
that connect to one of the circuit breakers.  I would
check those.  Mine have fallen off before, and the
symptoms - minus the starter fuse melting - were
identical.  I have to go to class so I am being vague
being in a hurry and all.  Get back to us, and maybe I
can get some more information out next time.  

Jeremiah 

--- Thomas Mc Auley <dmc4087_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Ok, heres the overall problem with my car...it wont
> start, wont even
> crank. Its an automatic, so I have checked the
> linkage which seems
> fine because it makes contact with the inhibitor
> switch when in
> neutral and park.
[moderator snip]



________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 16
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 13:06:32 -0400
From: Todd Nelson <tan5732_at_dml_rit.edu>
Subject: Re: Funny Fascias

VB,

Thanks.  Very informative.

Todd
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Wednesday, September 01, 2004 11:08 PM
Subject: RE: [DML] Funny Fascias


>I am sure you will get a hundred responses to this, but here is mine.....
[moderator snip]



________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 17
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 17:11:28 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Headliner Materiel

Does anyone on the list have a good source for the headliner materiel?
I am looking for materiel that would match the origional with the foam
backing. I know I can buy the headliners all done from the "D" venders
but I am trying to keep the costs down on this restoration. I don't
mind reusing the old backing and applying the headliner materiel myself.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757




________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 18
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 17:24:50 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Leather Restoration

I have been in touch with Leatherique. They are very helpful and from
their descriptions of their products it looks like you can save just
about any leather in any condition. I have sent them a color sample to
match up. They also have carpet dye. They will now have these colors
on file for any other Delorean owner to order by. I will let everyone
know how the seats turn out. The stuff isn't cheap but it is a lot
less than new seats! One of their products will help preserve and
protect leather. This can keep you from having to repair and redye it.
They sell this stuff for Jaguars, Rolls-Royce, Bently etc. This is
supposed to be better than Lexol which is considered a "high end"
product. This is also for vinyl which is good. It turns out the seats
are NOT all leather. Only the "seating surfaces". The sides and back
are vinyl. The other leather is the 2 pull straps and the steering
wheel cover. Everything else inside the car is either vinyl or carpet.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757 




________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 19
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 17:29:45 -0000
From: "Richard" <dmc_driver_at_dml_yahoo.ca>
Subject: Re: Funny Fascias

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_h...> wrote:

> Personally, I have always felt that someone should make a hard
fiberglass 
> replacement for the
> fascia...some would argue safety calls for the more pliable
plastic....but I 
> assure you that a fiberglass fascia would blast apart just as easily
in a 
> crash as the rubber one will, and might even offer more protection!
> 
> I might build myself one out os carbon fiber and see how it looks.
> Would anyone else be interested in one of these if I did?
> - VB
> 
 

As far as safety/impact protection is concerned, I too, doubt that
having a hard fascia or a soft pliable one would make much difference.
 After all, that's the job of the impact absorber and front crumple
tubes.  They would take almost all of the impact in a collision,
regardless of what the fascia is made of.  Anyone may feel free to
correct me if I'm wrong though, since I'm by no means an expert in
this area.  

The only problem I can think of with a hard rigid fascia, is how would
you put it on or take it off?  Without being able to bend and flex it,
it would be almost impossible to get it over and around the headlight
assemblies.  Just my 2 cents.  :-)


Richard Rowe
VIN 5853




________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 20
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 13:16:14 -0500
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Looking for a DMC

Anyone on this list would tell you to avoid D1 like the plague.
I have no experience with them, personally, but they were the fore runners 
of the after market community and had a monopoly for a long time and made a 
habit of charging far and above the value of their parts and no trouble 
telling you to take a flying leap if you didn't like it.
They split up and some of the other party purchased the old copyrights and 
made
"Delorean Motor Company of Houston".
If you go to my website, http://www.dfwdmc.com and click on the MEDIA tab,
in the list you will see "DMCH in the NEWS" which is a news story from a 
local Houston channel
that will help explain a little of what you want to know.

They charge about $35K for their refurbished cars, and I admit they are in 
good shape and nice
but what you are paying for is the convenience of a sure shot.
There are a LOt of great cars out there for half of that money, but almost 
always you will have to do some work to them to get them perfect, and the 
way you like them.

The good news is that there are a lot of vendors selling aftermarket parts 
that will let you update anything you need to do to the car.
You can easily replace the entire interior of the car for a few thousand 
dollars, install a new radio,
and update any electrical.
What you want to avoid is an all original, stock car that has been sitting 
it's whole life with no miles.

In order to have a DeLorean as a daily driver that is reliable and trusty 
there are certain things you are going to want to do. Such as update or 
replace the fuel system, and most all of the electrical parts starting from 
the alternator, to the fuses, fuse box, relays and some switches.
Delorean's had a history of being lemons and leaving you stranded, but the 
problems that caused these things have been figured out and can be fixed.

There is what we call the $20K rule, no matter what you will be spending 
$20K on the car.
So if you get one for $15, expect to put $5K in work in it.

Once the car has had all it's updates, it will be fine for the most part and 
you can drive it everyday.
There will always be little goofy things you might need to work on simply 
because this is a 20+ year old car with old technology and not built in the 
conventional way, so everything was not a perfect fit and needed to be 
adjusted to match up, such as the doors which can periodically need a tweak 
every few years.

The other thing is to prepare your self to be disappointed with the speed 
and power.....
...because there isn't any.
It will have about the same pickup and go as an automatic small car, say a 
Chevy Berretta or Honda Civic. ...both of which would most likely beat a 
Delorean.
It gets good gas mileage but it has no balls.
There will be no peeling out like the time machine in BTTF.
...and that's another thing,
for the rest of your life, every single time you drive that car and take it 
ANYWHERE you will hear over and over and over..."Hey McFly, where's the flux 
capacitor?"
That is why I installed one and then I point to the back and say "it's right 
here axxhole!".
They love it.
Whenever you park it, you will come back to see fingerprints all over it.
And if the windows are tinted you will see this on the window:   (  o  )
That is the mark people make by putting their hands around their eyes and 
pressing their nose up against the glass to see in.
It will be permanently on your window.
People will take your picture while you are driving down the road and 
EVERYONE will drive in your blind spot so they can get a good profile of the 
car.
Whenever you stop for gas some know-it-all idiot will argue with you about 
the car and try to convince you that they only made 200 of these in Ohio or 
something, and that John Delorean died in prison because there is cocaine 
hidden in the car somewhere.
Expect to be pulled over by the cops a lot, with lame excuses for why they 
pulled you over.
They usually won't give you a ticket, they just want to abuse their 
authority and check out your car. Happens to me all the time.

Keep it insured for more than it is worth with AGREED STATED VALUE - NON 
DEPRECIATIVE.
If you ever wreck it the insurance will not know what to do.
If you work closely with a vendor they will help you get more money that you 
need.

There is usually a few cars on eBay all the time.
I bought ine on eBay and it is perfect.

...I guess that is about it.
- Videobob
VIN#5278



>From: Rod Dillman <rhdillman_at_dml_yahoo.com>
>Reply-To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
>To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
>Subject: Re: [DML] Looking for a DMC
>Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 04:22:08 -0700 (PDT)
>
>Wald- I once bought a DeLorean with potential "cheap" only to find that 
>after I had spent over $6,000 on new parts that it had a rusted and 
>>two meals.
>
>waldwagen <waldwagen_at_dml_hotmail.com> wrote:Hi,
>
>I'm new tot the group. I've always admired these cars and have
>dreamed of having one. My wife made me a deal-if I lose 100 pounds
>and complete a marathon, she's going to buy me one. The only caveat
>was that the car is completely restored and need no work.
>
>Any suggestions? I've been looking at Deloreanone.com, they sell
>turnkeys for 35k.
>
>
>



________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 21
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 15:36:43 -0400
From: Todd Nelson <tan5732_at_dml_rit.edu>
Subject: Re: Looking for a DMC

VB,

I was looking at a Delorean that has been sitting in a 75 year olds 6-car 
garage for its entire life with 11,000 miles on it.  Everything and I mean 
everything is original including the latest inspection of 1992.  I would 
assume from your email that this is a car to forget about? Or not?

Also, I had trouble convincing the man that the car was not worth that much 
money, he's thinking 18,000.  What would you say?

Thanks,
Todd


----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Thursday, September 02, 2004 2:16 PM
Subject: Re: [DML] Looking for a DMC


> Anyone on this list would tell you to avoid D1 like the plague.
> I have no experience with them, personally, but they were the fore runners
> of the after market community and had a monopoly for a long time and made 
> a
> habit of charging far and above the value of their parts and no trouble
> telling you to take a flying leap if you didn't like it.
> They split up and some of the other party purchased the old copyrights and
> made
> "Delorean Motor Company of Houston".
> If you go to my website, http://www.dfwdmc.com and click on the MEDIA tab,
> in the list you will see "DMCH in the NEWS" which is a news story from a
> local Houston channel
> that will help explain a little of what you want to know.
>
> They charge about $35K for their refurbished cars, and I admit they are in
> good shape and nice
> but what you are paying for is the convenience of a sure shot.
> There are a LOt of great cars out there for half of that money, but almost
> always you will have to do some work to them to get them perfect, and the
> way you like them.
>
> The good news is that there are a lot of vendors selling aftermarket parts
> that will let you update anything you need to do to the car.
> You can easily replace the entire interior of the car for a few thousand
> dollars, install a new radio,
> and update any electrical.
> What you want to avoid is an all original, stock car that has been sitting
> it's whole life with no miles.
>
> In order to have a DeLorean as a daily driver that is reliable and trusty
> there are certain things you are going to want to do. Such as update or
> replace the fuel system, and most all of the electrical parts starting 
> from
> the alternator, to the fuses, fuse box, relays and some switches.
> Delorean's had a history of being lemons and leaving you stranded, but the
> problems that caused these things have been figured out and can be fixed.
>
> There is what we call the $20K rule, no matter what you will be spending
> $20K on the car.
> So if you get one for $15, expect to put $5K in work in it.
>
> Once the car has had all it's updates, it will be fine for the most part 
> and
> you can drive it everyday.
> There will always be little goofy things you might need to work on simply
> because this is a 20+ year old car with old technology and not built in 
> the
> conventional way, so everything was not a perfect fit and needed to be
> adjusted to match up, such as the doors which can periodically need a 
> tweak
> every few years.
>
> The other thing is to prepare your self to be disappointed with the speed
> and power.....
> ...because there isn't any.
> It will have about the same pickup and go as an automatic small car, say a
> Chevy Berretta or Honda Civic. ...both of which would most likely beat a
> Delorean.
> It gets good gas mileage but it has no balls.
> There will be no peeling out like the time machine in BTTF.
> ...and that's another thing,
> for the rest of your life, every single time you drive that car and take 
> it
> ANYWHERE you will hear over and over and over..."Hey McFly, where's the 
> flux
> capacitor?"
> That is why I installed one and then I point to the back and say "it's 
> right
> here axxhole!".
> They love it.
> Whenever you park it, you will come back to see fingerprints all over it.
> And if the windows are tinted you will see this on the window:   (  o  )
> That is the mark people make by putting their hands around their eyes and
> pressing their nose up against the glass to see in.
> It will be permanently on your window.
> People will take your picture while you are driving down the road and
> EVERYONE will drive in your blind spot so they can get a good profile of 
> the
> car.
> Whenever you stop for gas some know-it-all idiot will argue with you about
> the car and try to convince you that they only made 200 of these in Ohio 
> or
> something, and that John Delorean died in prison because there is cocaine
> hidden in the car somewhere.
> Expect to be pulled over by the cops a lot, with lame excuses for why they
> pulled you over.
> They usually won't give you a ticket, they just want to abuse their
> authority and check out your car. Happens to me all the time.
>
> Keep it insured for more than it is worth with AGREED STATED VALUE - NON
> DEPRECIATIVE.
> If you ever wreck it the insurance will not know what to do.
> If you work closely with a vendor they will help you get more money that 
> you
> need.
>
> There is usually a few cars on eBay all the time.
> I bought ine on eBay and it is perfect.
>
> ...I guess that is about it.
> - Videobob
> VIN#5278
>
>
>
>>From: Rod Dillman <rhdillman_at_dml_yahoo.com>
>>Reply-To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
>>To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
>>Subject: Re: [DML] Looking for a DMC
>>Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 04:22:08 -0700 (PDT)
>>
>>Wald- I once bought a DeLorean with potential "cheap" only to find that
>>after I had spent over $6,000 on new parts that it had a rusted and
>>>two meals.
>>
>>waldwagen <waldwagen_at_dml_hotmail.com> wrote:Hi,
>>
>>I'm new tot the group. I've always admired these cars and have
>>dreamed of having one. My wife made me a deal-if I lose 100 pounds
>>and complete a marathon, she's going to buy me one. The only caveat
>>was that the car is completely restored and need no work.
>>
>>Any suggestions? I've been looking at Deloreanone.com, they sell
>>turnkeys for 35k.
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
> To address comments privately to the moderating team, please address:
> moderators_at_dml_dmcnews.com
>
> For more info on the list, tech articles, cars for sale see 
> www.dmcnews.com
>
> To search the archives or view files, log in at 
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>
>
> 




________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 22
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 20:55:53 +0100
From: Daniel Shane <daniel.shane_at_dml_btinternet.com>
Subject: Looking for Information on Vin 4754

Hi all,

Maybe I should of checked before I got the car shipped back from Texas to
the UK but does anybody have any information on 4754 ??  I bought It from
DMCH I have all the paper work.

The Title says the owner before DMCH was John Karvouniaris from Denton in
Texas.  Are you on here John or can anybody give me any details about the
car.  If so I'd love to know.

I'm picking the car up on Monday and I have the week off to refit the
interior, new UK lights and get the car on the road.

Thanks

Dan





________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 23
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 19:57:15 -0000
From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>
Subject: Re: Looking for a DMC

Marc is correct. DeLorean One's cars are $62,500.

http://www.deloreanone.com/refurbished.html

-Ryan

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_y...> wrote:
> wow, 35K?  I thought D1 was up to th 65K range by now!
> 
> If you want turnkey, then a restored car is the way to
> go.  PJ Grady, and DMCH also sell restored cars.  I
> beleive they also include a warranty.
> 
> 
> --- waldwagen <waldwagen_at_dml_h...> wrote:
> 
> > Hi,
> > 
> > I'm new tot the group. I've always admired these
> > cars and have 
> > dreamed of having one. My wife made me a deal-if I
> > lose 100 pounds 
> > and complete a marathon, she's going to buy me one.
> > The only caveat 
> > was that the car is completely restored and need no
> > work. 
> > 
> > Any suggestions?  I've been looking at
> > Deloreanone.com, they sell 
> > turnkeys for 35k.
> 
> 
> 
> 		
> _______________________________
> Do you Yahoo!?
> Win 1 of 4,000 free domain names from Yahoo! Enter now.
> http://promotions.yahoo.com/goldrush




________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 24
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 20:07:50 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Hard Plastic Fascias/Headlights

Headlights go on after front fascia is mounted to the car. But it does
indeed need to flex up to attached the upper retaining screws and
especially to aim them.

Rear fascia can not be mounted without flexing.

Bill Robertson
#5939

>--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Richard" <dmc_driver_at_dml_y...> wrote:
> 
> The only problem I can think of with a hard rigid fascia, is how would
> you put it on or take it off?  Without being able to bend and flex it,
> it would be almost impossible to get it over and around the headlight
> assemblies.  Just my 2 cents.  :-)
> 
> 
> Richard Rowe
> VIN 5853




________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 25
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 13:16:43 -0700 (PDT)
From: Steve Stankiewicz <protodelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Funny Fascias

Hi Richard.  I actually fabricated the upper portion
of the fascia out of fiberglass for the Type S
Delorean ("Project Delorean").  I too was concerned
about being able to flex it enough to install it, but
the fiberglass actually wasn't too bad and flexed
enough to clear the studs.  The real challenge was
designing and embedding the mounting studs since
unlike most "conventional" cars, nearly none of the
Delorean's fascia fasenters are exposed once
installed.  This also presents a big challenge when
considering ways of producing fascias, even in small
volumes.  I also had to deal with the fact that the
type of headlights I used had to be mounted BEFORE the
fascia was installed, preventing some of the
accessibility found on the original design.  I've had
several people inquire as to whether or not I'd be
producing these for sale, but the complexity really
makes it more thouble than it's worth for me.  Maybe
Video Bob can engineer something better!

=====
Steve

VIN 2650 ("Project Delorean")
www.projectdelorean.com


		
_______________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
Win 1 of 4,000 free domain names from Yahoo! Enter now.
http://promotions.yahoo.com/goldrush



________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


To address comments privately to the moderating team, please address:
moderators_at_dml_dmcnews.com

For more info on the list, tech articles, cars for sale see www.dmcnews.com

To search the archives or view files, log in at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    dmcnews-unsubscribe_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 
------------------------------------------------------------------------