From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2209
Date: Friday, September 03, 2004 4:55 AM

1. Re: Headliner Materiel
From: Steve Stankiewicz <protodelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. Re: Headliner Materiel
From: Rod Dillman <rhdillman_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. Re: Headliner Materiel
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. RE: More NJ DeLoreans for sale.
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. Re:Fascia paint
From: nicholden_at_dml_yahoo.com

6. cooling fan issue
From: Eric Itzel <eric_at_dml_seviernet.com>

7. Re: Headliner Materiel
From: "dmcorlando2003" <SundeQuick_at_dml_aol.com>

8. 108388 Headlight Switches (Reproductions)
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

9. Re: Looking for a DMC
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

10. Re: Re: Headliner Materiel
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

11. Re: Looking for a DMC
From: FREDRAVAS_at_dml_aol.com

12. Re: cooling fan issue
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

13. Headliner Material
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com

14. Re: Headliner Materiel
From: "deloreanchuck" <chuckkay_at_dml_comcast.net>

15. Re: Looking for a DMC
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

16. Re: Headliner Materiel
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>

17. Re: Looking for a DMC
From: "lakelanier20" <derek4567_at_dml_hotmail.com>

18. Delorean, the dream is dead
From: Me <fleetofworlds_at_dml_yahoo.com>

19. Re: The problem with my car...
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>

20. RE: 108388 Headlight Switches (Reproductions)
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

21. Re: Headliner Material
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

22. Re: Re:Fascia paint
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 13:20:51 -0700 (PDT)
From: Steve Stankiewicz <protodelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Headliner Materiel

Hi David.  Most fabric shops like Minnesota Fabric and
JoAnn's have the headliner materials with foam backing
in stock.  If you catch one with a good inventory,
they'll have Black, grey, blue, burgundy, and tan.  If
I remember correctly, it runs about $12 per running
yard.  Just a tip though; spring the extra few dollars
to get the 3M General Trim adhesive instead of the
generic sprays.  I've used a bunch of different ones,
but I feel the 3M is superior.

Steve
--- David Teitelbaum <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net> wrote:

> Does anyone on the list have a good source for the
> headliner materiel?
> I am looking for materiel that would match the
> origional with the foam
> backing. I know I can buy the headliners all done
> from the "D" venders
> but I am trying to keep the costs down on this
> restoration. I don't
> mind reusing the old backing and applying the
> headliner materiel myself.

> team, please address:

> sale see www.dmcnews.com

=====
Steve

VIN 2650 ("Project Delorean")
www.projectdelorean.com

http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo

Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 13:41:36 -0700 (PDT)
From: Rod Dillman <rhdillman_at_dml_yahoo.com>

David- Jo-Ann Fabrics and Crafts sells headliner material in their stores. It is $9.99 per yard . You never know exactly what colors or shades they will have to offer. After several visits to three of their stores I found a light gray that was very close to the color DMC Humble uses. I recovered my old car's headliners and kept the left over headliner scraps. The frabric is a very close match to my refurbished car's headliners. It was my first effort headliner effort and I was very pleased with the results. 3M makes a spray mastic that is used to attach the headliner to the shell. You spray the foam backing of the new headliner frabric as well as the shell and it acts like contact cement. It was not all that hard to do but you need two people to work the fabric. You have to be sure things are right when the two glue surfaces touch at that point there is no chance to reposition it.You also need to keep your fingers clean and glue free or you will stain the good side of the new
 headliner. In my opinion the DMC  headliner is easier to replace than most other cars since you are working with four small sections rather than one large one.

Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 20:53:27 -0000
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

After I took my boards down, coated them with fiberglass resin on
the topso they wouldn't sag, I took mine to an upholstery shop
locally that I had do some other cars of mine. Since I had the
panels out of the car, there was no labor in removal & reinstall. I
got all 4 parts recovered going in the same directions, but in a
slightly lighter color. Everything profesionally done for $100 out
the door. I then installed it and trimmed as necessary. Came out
perfect. Well worth it if your boards are ok.

Just my $0.02

Joe OBrien

2524 & 16634

Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 13:59:29 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: More NJ DeLoreans for sale.

The owner of these cars is a woman..

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 21:29:36 -0000
From: nicholden_at_dml_yahoo.com
Subject: Re:Fascia paint

Thanks for all the replys and the picture Dave,I think it looks good
from that angle.

My opinion is that when the cars were produced you they only had
1970's paint techonology to work with. Paint has come a very long
way since and almost anything can now be done such as cars that are
2& 3 different colours from different angles. Silver paint today is
very  different from silver when the car were produced with new
metalic's etc. As Bill pointed out you CAN actually get Stainless
Steel paint which isnt just a paint that claims to look like
stainless but is actually stainless. It is a very high concentration
of stainless steel fleck's in clear epoxy ( i pesume? ) There is a
company here in Oz that will coat anything in a metal coating. The
main call is for timber products to be coated to apper as metal
(copper, brass, stainless etc..) I have seen a flat timer door they
coated in Stainless for the front of a house that unless you knocked
on it you would swear this thing was carved out of a solid piece of
stainless steel! It is hugely expensive and you can't buy the paint
yourself as they use special applicators and the secret is all in
the way it is put on and curing but it can be done. I dont see a
problem with painting the fascia as they also coat other flexible
plastic products.
Not to say i would have this done but maybe if this technology were
available back then things would have looked different?

Thanks again and i will post some pic's if i have something apart
from the standard done....

Cheers Nick 10927

Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 17:57:50 -0400
From: Eric Itzel <eric_at_dml_seviernet.com>
Subject: cooling fan issue

Hey Everybody

I took my car out for a spin last night- first time in a few weeks. I
had a funny occurance with my cooling fans- they wouldn't turn off. I
recently had my cooling system open while I was doing some work, so
could this be a symptom of having air stuck in the top of the radiator?
I already have the water pump self-bleeder line working for me, but I
recently learned that air can be trapped at the other end of the car and
cause mischief. How do I bleed the air out of the radiator?

Thanks in advance!

Eric

Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 22:38:32 -0000
From: "dmcorlando2003" <SundeQuick_at_dml_aol.com>

I have seen it at Joann Fabrics and other places like that.  Not many
color options though.  I have seen itin another D and it looked just
like the original.

Michael
VIN# 02944

Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 17:47:02 -0500
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: 108388 Headlight Switches (Reproductions)

As most everyone knows, the supply of original DeLorean headlight switches
has been exhausted. Unlike many of the reproduction parts introduced in the
past several years by DeLorean Motor Company, the headlight switch has a
particularly long "return on investment" period. So much so, in fact, that
we've been unable to justify having these pieces remanufactured.

Several clients and members of the DeLorean community have offered to
pre-purchase a part in order to "kick start" the production. We've always
declined these offers in the past, mostly because there hasn't been enough
interest from people to make it happen in a timely manner.

This time, however, we're going to put slight twist on things and try it for
the headlight switch. Beginning today we will start taking PRE-PAID ORDERS
for reproduction headlight switches at the current retail price of $40.00
each. If we can get 250 advance orders for these switches within the next 12
months (or less!), we will begin production.

Here's the twist:

1) All monies from these pre-orders will be held in a separate,
interest-bearing bank account in the name of DeLorean Motor Company (Texas).
If, after 12 months, we have NOT received 250 orders, those that have
pre-ordered will receive their $40 back. In any case, the interest will be
donated to the Michael J. Fox Foundation in the name of "DeLorean Owners and
Enthusiast from Around the World".

2) This page (http://www.delorean.com/headlightswitch.asp) will display the
current count of orders and will be updated daily (or as orders come in). We
will also, unless requested otherwise by the person ordering the switch,
list the name and state/country of the person placing the order (no personal
contact info, like emails, etc. will be posted). This gives some recognition
to the individuals/companies that are making this otherwise unlikely to be
remanufactured part available.

3) Once these 250 orders have been received, production will begin (60-90
day from tooling to delivery) and the NEW retail price will be $50.

4) For our part, once the switches have been received, DeLorean Motor
Company (Texas) will ship these pre-paid orders will be shipped AT NO CHARGE
to US addresses.

So, there is incentive to place a pre-paid order for the switches in the
form of getting a new switch at a reduced price (plus getting free
shipping), as well as recognition as someone who has contributed to the
long-term viability of parts availability for the DeLorean. Plus, regardless
of how this experiment works out, the Michael J. Fox Foundation will get a
donation of some size.

Order one, two or more. The sooner 250 switches are ordered, the sooner
they'll go into production.

http://www.delorean.com/dmcstore/BuyNow.asp?PartID=3362&Qty=1

Please email me with questions, and I'll reply directly as well as post the
most "frequently asked questions" on the webpage mentioned above.

James Espey

------------------------------------
DeLorean Motor Company
Vice President
james_at_dml_delorean.com
15023 Eddie Drive
Humble, Texas 77396 USA
tel: 800/872-3621
tel2:281/441-2537
fax: 281/441-2813
http://www.delorean.com
------------------------------------

Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 18:02:34 -0500
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Looking for a DMC

It is called a Delorean/DMC-12, DMC was the company that made the car.
Correct me if i am wrong.

Mark V

Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 23:03:30 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: Re: Headliner Materiel

The best place to get headliner material is at an auto
upholstery shop.  They have lots more color, texture
and quality selections than a craft store.  The upholstery
materials will also be made to withstand the temperature
ranges in automotive applications.

-------------- Original message from "Joe OBrien" : --------------

Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 19:17:54 EDT
From: FREDRAVAS_at_dml_aol.com

how close are you from oxnard california? i got one imwilling to part with.
contact me off list to find out more about it....

freddie

Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 23:48:51 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: cooling fan issue

There can be several reasons the cooling fans do not come on. Try
turning on the A/C. If the fans don't run then check the circuit
breaker, the fan fail relay or jumper or Fanzilla. You could also have
bad fan motors. If the fans do run then you may have air in the
cooling system in the pump or the otterstadt switch may be
disconnected or defective. Bleed the air at the bleeder and try
jumping the otterstadt switch. Air in the radiator would not interfere
with the fans, it would just reduce the capacity of the radiator.
Bleed it anyway. It is done by loosening the small hose at the top
right side. Be very careful as it is a small plastic nipple on the
plastic radiator tank and can easily break off. This is most easily
done with a system pressure tester. Pump up some pressure and then
bleed being careful not to let too much coolant out at a time. Watch
the header bottle and keep it half full. You may have to repeat
several times to get all the air out. If you keep getting air in the
system then you have coolant leaks which MUST be repaired. If you
don't you may eventually overheat the motor and that can be EXPENSIVE!

Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 19:54:21 EDT
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Headliner Material

Dave T and anyone else listening... I wanted to save money by doing my
headliners myself.  I went out and bought the material at an Auto Barn for  49.95
and the special spray on adhesive for 14.95.  When I go the material  out of
the box it was folded up and had many wrinkle in it.  I called the  company and
they said just put it in a clothes drier for a few  minutes.  Well, it came
out even worse.  I went to return it and check  another.  They all had the same
wrinkles.  ...

I ended up going to
Tijuana Kustoms  in Westbury,  NY      _http://www.tjkustoms.com/_
(http://www.tjkustoms.com/)
For $100 they went out and bought new material to match and did the whole job
 excellently.  I did the removal and reinstallation.  They even had  extra
material which they gave me back.
Dave and 6530

Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 00:45:43 -0000
From: "deloreanchuck" <chuckkay_at_dml_comcast.net>

I replaced the headliner on 10610 about a year ago.  I used the
procedure in Ken Montgomery's DeLorean Pages.
http://pages.sbcglobal.net/montkw/delorean/Headliners/headliners.htm
The material was available at my local auto parts store - Salvo Auto
Parts in Baltimore.  It is an excellent match.  E-mail with your
address and I mail you a sample.  The box contained one piece about
48" x 72", more than enough to do the liners (I did not need to do
the door headliners).  The cost was $28 and the adhesive was $8 a
can.  The biggest part of the job was cleaning up the backing.

                          Chuck 10610
                                -- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "David

Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 20:47:58 EDT
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

In a message dated 9/2/04 5:49:00 PM Central Daylight Time, tan5732_at_dml_rit.edu
writes:

> Also, I had trouble convincing the man that the car was not worth that much
> money, he's thinking 18,000.  What would you say?
>
> Thanks,
> Todd

Todd,

does the car ever get driven or does it just sit?
if the body and interior are consistent with an unabused 11K mile garage
queen, i would easily pay $18,000 as long as it was started up a couple times a
year and driven around the block.  if it's been a decade since it was moving
around, you may want to pass because it PROBABLY needs all new hydraulics (brake,
clutch systems) and a new fuel system.

Even if needed a totally new fuel system and a totally new brake and clutch
system as well as waterpump master kit and new radiator and tires, i would
probably have less money in it than my 55K mile DMC i have now.

new frame, here i come!

Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 00:54:32 -0000
From: "lakelanier20" <derek4567_at_dml_hotmail.com>

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "waldwagen" <waldwagen_at_dml_h...> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm new tot the group. I've always admired these cars and have
> dreamed of having one. My wife made me a deal-if I lose 100 pounds
> and complete a marathon, she's going to buy me one. The only caveat
> was that the car is completely restored and need no work.
>
> Any suggestions?  I've been looking at Deloreanone.com, they sell
> turnkeys for 35k.

If you can afford it (I'm presuming you can) then I'd say a $35k
refurbished car from DMC Houston is the way to go.  I don't know
where you live, it may make sense for you to check out PJ Grady in
New York as well, but I bought my car from DMCH as a "pre-owned"
refurbished car and it's absolutely awesome.  The previous owner
ordered it from DMCH 4 years ago, and put only 6,000 miles on it
since.  It has been immaculately kept, and it's just like I ordered
it from them myself.  Everything works perfectly and all my
friends/family/strangers can't believe how pristine it is
cosmetically, including myself.  DMCH really does good work.

-Derek L

Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 18:24:07 -0700 (PDT)
From: Me <fleetofworlds_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Delorean, the dream is dead

I have decided to sell my car, anyone want it?Its
standard 81 with about 140,000 miles and lots of usual
problems.The dream is dead for me. I no longer see any
value in these cars or being involved with the type of
people who own them.

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 18:10:55 -0700 (PDT)
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: The problem with my car...

Sounds to me like a very bad starter.

Chris

Thomas Mc Auley <dmc4087_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
Ok, heres the overall problem with my car...it wont start, wont even
crank. Its an automatic, so I have checked the linkage which seems
fine because it makes contact with the inhibitor switch when in
neutral and park.
[moderator snip]

Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 20:27:37 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: 108388 Headlight Switches (Reproductions)

Group, I want to make a comment about the headlight switches and I hope some
people don't take it the wrong way.
I offered financial help to Houston in the come back of the headlight
switches about 1 to 2 months ago and was refused. I told Houston I had a Fix
for the headlight sitting in the background and if they didn't want to go in
and bring it back then I would then introduce the fix. They declined.
Now that I have offered up the Headlight Switch Fix they are wanting you the
customer to split the bill for the new switches which I don't think is a bad
deal for you if you need a switch. It Cuts down on them having to support
the whole project since they refused my involvement. Yes, The Delorean
community needs the headlight switches back for the one's of you that your
switches have melted and you have had to come up with some other type of
creative idea.
I also have a company that has a plug in replacement that will work and
look's almost identical, but again I will put it on hold pending what
Houston is going to do.
It's interesting they say one thing and do another and if someone comes up
with a better mouse trap they want to jump on another wagon. I just hope
some engineering time goes into it better than some of the other items they
have introduced and are having problems with. I won't name all of them.
But, Here is the problem, The new ones will also melt down and be rendered
useless. The Headlight Switch Fix or some kind of by pass for the current
load that I came out with when installed will let the switch last forever .
The mechanical part of your headlight switch I can fix with no problem as
long as it hasn't melted, it's the current draw that has to be bypassed to
fix it.
So, the moral of the story is to order a new headlight switch and a
Headlight fix and then you will be set. If your switch is good then all you
need is the Fix and again you will be set.
John Hervey
    http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/modifications.html

Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 01:54:46 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Headliner Material

I want to thank everyone for all the responses I got both on AND
off-list. I went to Joann Stores (Jo-ann ETC), I guess they used to be
called Joann Fabrics, at the Palisades Mall in NY. I got 2 yards of
materiel. They call it Headliner Grey Dana Foam # 349-6064. It is a
nylon fabric with 1/8 foam backing. It is a little darker than I
wanted but the other was too light. They get 10.99/yd 2 yds cost 21.98
plus the outrageous 8 1/4 tax. I also got some spray adhesive for
4.99. All this for a grand total of 28.62. It is called headliner
materiel but right on it it says flammable! I saved the old materiel
for patterns. I will let everyone know how it all turns out. I have to
clean up the backer forms of all the old glue and foam.

Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 21:54:58 EDT
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re:Fascia paint

I liked the DAU personally.  It was a one coat system and did a great  job.
The base coat clear coat on a bumper is a lot of work compared to  that.

Paint is where it is at because of emmissions control for airborn  pollutants.

The DAU was not as full of solids.  It is now banned.
The new paints have a lot of solids thus they dont gloss and you need a
clearcoat.
Clearcoat glosses so you need a gloss inhibitor or sand to gloss  level.

I painted at least 25 facias in the last year and these paints do cover a
bit better because they do go on thicker but for me I did like some of the older
 acrylics and in particular the DAU series.

The K36 primers can cover scratches and pits up to 80 grit. Takes 4  coats
but it does it and with no bondo blead thru so that is an  improvment.

The DBU is the best of the two part systems from PPG although I have used
and do like the Akkso Reliant (sp).  The PPG  Delstar Clear is still  the best
in my opinion although it does not work well with some 2 part  systems.  It has
a great wetting action that leaves a good gloss.

I hate DBC because you cannot go and touch it back up.  It is a  solvent base
and like laquer will disolve if you hit it to repair after about 4  hours. It
has to cure before you can fix it and that can take a day or so.

It does however give a nice finish and dries more like laquer as far as
speed but there are too many negatives if the painting conditions are not  perfect.

Colors have improved and are closer to stainless but my personal opinion is
that is it still too far off and looks funny.

Sorry for the paint lesson but I get a lot of questions and most are from
people that have never painted before but want to.