From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2210
Date: Friday, September 03, 2004 4:24 PM

1. Re: Delorean, the dream is dead
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

2. How much does a DMC Dealer Sign Weigh?
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

3. Re: Delorean, the dream is dead
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>

4. Re: Delorean, the dream is dead
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. Re: The problem with my car...
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com

6. Re: Delorean, the dream is dead
From: "Dani B" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

7. Re: Speaker wire
From: "lakelanier20" <derek4567_at_dml_hotmail.com>

8. Re: Re: Headliner Material
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

9. Re: Re: Looking for a DMC
From: FREDRAVAS_at_dml_aol.com

10. Re: Delorean, the dream is dead
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

11. RE: Re: Headliner Materiel
From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>

12. Re: Delorean, the dream is dead
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

13. RE: More NJ DeLoreans for sale.
From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>

14. Parts on Ebay
From: Steve Stankiewicz <protodelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

15. Stuff
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>

16. Re: Delorean, the dream is dead
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>

17. Re: Delorean, the dream is dead
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

18. Re: Re: The problem with my car...
From: Thomas Mc Auley <dmc4087_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

19. Quick question
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>

20. AW: cooling fan issue
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>

21. Re: Delorean, the dream is dead
From: "William" <wbowie2003_at_dml_yahoo.com>

22. Re: Quick question
From: "thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_cox.net>

23. Re: Looking for a DMC (Andy)
From: Todd Nelson <tan5732_at_dml_rit.edu>

24. Re: Delorean, the dream is dead
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

25. RE: Quick question
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 02:52:11 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: Delorean, the dream is dead

Where, how much, etc.

BTW - why?

Dave S

Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 03:18:24 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: How much does a DMC Dealer Sign Weigh?

Someone out there has to have shipped one of these - does anyone know
what the approximate weight of a complete (i.e. both sides and the
lighting) DeLorean dealer sign is?

Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 23:46:08 -0400
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>

Just out of curiousity...what "type" if people own DeLoreans in your
opinion?  I've never been able to put us into any particular category,
as we seem to be from all walks of life, and have all types of
personalities.  Usually the only thing I see that we share in common is
the car itself.

Just curious,
Josh

Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 03:55:56 -0000
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

When can I come to take it off your hands? Where are you located at?
Contact me off list if you would please.

Joe OBrien

Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 04:19:49 -0000
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com
Subject: Re: The problem with my car...

Thomas - We had a PNDC member in Spokane, Washington with an
automatic.  He had a similar challenge, in that the starter wouldn't
crank or even make a noise.  A few of us went over for a parade
there, and had a mini-tech session with this car to see if we could
get it going so that the owner could be in the parade.  After
tracing down all of the wires, and doing a bunch of basic trouble-
shooting, we arrived at the solution.  There are some large
connectors under the coil cover that connect several of the wiring
looms together through the "firewall".  It turned out that there was
some corrosion on one of the terminals in the red connector (as I
recall) that was for a white/red wire.  When we cleaned and reset
all of the connectors in this area, the car started flawlessly.  In
the wiring diagrams, this white/red wire goes from the starter
solenoid through to the start inhibit relay.  (When one hears the
term "start inhibit", what comes to mind?)  All this to say, take
each of those connectors apart, clean each terminal with emery cloth
and contact cleaner, and then reassemble with dielectric grease.
Then, when your car starts, let the List know what the solution was
for everybodies learning.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com

Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 03:55:20 -0000
From: "Dani B" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

You say that like its a bad thing-the type of people involved with
these cars are just usual every day people. Owning the car doesn't put
us above everyone else...The list can only do so much to help with a
problem-you can't expect us to tell you exactly whats wrong with your
car and exactly how to fix it.

Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 04:30:15 -0000
From: "lakelanier20" <derek4567_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Speaker wire

I don't know if they changed the wire color over the different
production times of the DeLorean, but in my car (Oct '81 build, VIN
5302) all speaker wires are black.  Have you compared with the
driver's side yet?  It should have the same set of black wires.  One
is plain black, and the other is black with a white stripe.  The one
with the white stripe is positive, and has a wider connector going to
the speaker.  I just replaced both my front speakers, and remember
there being some purple wires near there on the passenger side.
These have nothing to do with the speaker.  Just the black wires.

-Derek L
VIN 5302

Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 06:27:24 EDT
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: Headliner Material

In a message dated 9/2/2004 10:49:08 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net writes:

I also  got some spray adhesive for
4.99

Don't use it
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If its not 3M headliner spray or 3M 90 you will be redoing your headliner a
lot sooner than you want.

I have used other sprays and withing a month the headliners in the doors
will be down.

Its $11-$14 per can and worth it.

Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 01:05:04 EDT
From: FREDRAVAS_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: Looking for a DMC

let me know when youre down 90 lbs i got one ready to sell...

freddie
vin6048

Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 06:31:53 EDT
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

In a message dated 9/2/2004 10:43:20 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
fleetofworlds_at_dml_yahoo.com writes:

I no  longer see any
value in these cars or being involved with the type  of
people who own them.

Kinda brash
with an attitude like that no wonder the dream is dead.

go buy a Toyota or a Yugo

Doubt anyone on this list will even consider your car.

Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 07:53:18 -0400
From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>
Subject: RE: Re: Headliner Materiel

I used the same stuff on mine.  Dead on match for the gray interior, and
the job was easy to do!

Kevin Abato
Vin# 16680

Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 07:44:45 -0400
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

Sure, I'll give you $10 for it. Do you deliver......

Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 07:56:03 -0400
From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>
Subject: RE: More NJ DeLoreans for sale.

There is another NJ DMC for sale in Denville NJ (one mile west of Rt. 10
on Rt 53).

The car is supposed to be MINT and the owner is looking to get $22,500.
I am still trying to get there to take pixs. (perhaps this weekend?)

Kevin Abato
Vin# 18860

Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 06:16:28 -0700 (PDT)
From: Steve Stankiewicz <protodelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Parts on Ebay

Hey everyone.  I forgot to send out a message when I
originally posted the items but I have the following
up on ebay.  All are "No Reserve" and all will finish
tonight.

Item 2488312178 - Delorean Console Cover (Center
Armrest Pad) PN108239
Item 2488312811 - Delorean Glovebox Lid (Black) w/
Latch Assembly PN101321
Item 2488313337 - Delorean Door Lock Relay PN 101421
Item 2488314135 - Delorean Instrument Gauge Cluster PN
100548

Feel free to email me directly if you have any
questions or need any additional pics.

Sorry about the shameless self promotion, but I would
hate for someone on this list to miss an item they
needed because they were unaware of it.

=====
Steve

VIN 2650 ("Project Delorean")
www.projectdelorean.com

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 07:15:10 -0700 (PDT)
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Stuff

Thanks for the suggestions on my leak. If, when, I get it corrected I'll let you know what worked.

I've seen several posts on door latches. I was having some trouble with mine and found that the cause was the old grease drying out. I sprayed all the latches with a product called "Corrosion Block" that will loosen anything. They now work as new.

There's an old saying that I live by, "When you hear hoofbeats look for horses, not zebras."

Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 09:34:10 -0500
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

140,000 miles.  Sounds like the car did pretty well by you for a car of
1981 vintage.

I've owned a lot of cars from this era,  and this many miles on one is a
great car.

BOB

Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 16:25:40 +0100 (BST)
From: Thomas Mc Auley <dmc4087_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Re: The problem with my car...

Hi Toby thanks for the reply. Ok I done that (already done that when I got the car but the sand seems to of have built up again) and it didnt work. Another guy over here in Ireland asked me to check a few things and report back, so hopefully he will come up with a solution (he got the car going in the first place, along with many more here in Ireland, the guy is a genius!)
Thanks again Toby, I'll let you know how I get on
Thomas
Vin #4087
p.s. any other suggestions welcome!

Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 08:08:13 -0700 (PDT)
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Quick question

Last night, I change my spark plugs.  The engine was
immediately different in terms of power, but not
necessarily for the better.  Acceleration was much
improved, but my idle became rather high.  1200-1500
in drive idling, 2500-3000+ when placed into park.  I
noticed that the accelerator pedal has become ULTRA
tight, no looseness whatsoever.  It's almost lower
than the brake pedal it's so tight.  Can anyone
explain to me how to loosen the throttle (in effect,
the accelerator)?

Jeremiah

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 17:09:31 +0200
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>
Subject: AW: cooling fan issue

The fans don't turn off when engine is cooled down ?

First check the otterstat switch - pull off one wire. If they turn
off now - replace that switch. (left side of the engine bay at the pipe)

If this isn't the problem - check the relay, swap it with another.
Also try to play with the wires near the fuse box. Push and pull them
a little bit. Does it stop now ?

Relay and fuse contacts tend to get hot, especially when the contacts
are oxydized over the years. This lets the plastic melt and stuff like
that happens.

I don't believe that you have a problem with air in the cooling system
because then the fans wouldn't turn on at all !

Already been there this year with 6548.

Elvis & 6548

Hey Everybody

I took my car out for a spin last night- first time in a few weeks. I
had a funny occurance with my cooling fans- they wouldn't turn off. I
recently had my cooling system open while I was doing some work, so
could this be a symptom of having air stuck in the top of the radiator?
I already have the water pump self-bleeder line working for me, but I
recently learned that air can be trapped at the other end of the car and
cause mischief. How do I bleed the air out of the radiator?

Thanks in advance!

Eric

Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 15:32:01 -0000
From: "William" <wbowie2003_at_dml_yahoo.com>

*****  Moderator's Note  *****
We are getting a lot of posts on this subject.  Many are not
helpful, unlike this one.  Please keep the discussion focused
on seeking to understand, helping resolve problems or selling
the car.  Posts that do not meet this criteria will be deleted.

*****  Mike G  Moderator of the Week  *****

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Me <fleetofworlds_at_dml_y...> wrote:
> I have decided to sell my car, anyone want it?Its
> standard 81 with about 140,000 miles and lots of usual
> problems.The dream is dead for me. I no longer see any
> value in these cars or being involved with the type of
> people who own them.

Sorry to hear that you are giving up. I don't know what prompted your
decision. I've been lurking and reading and building up my knowledge
of these cars for over two years now and still don't own one, yet.
I've found most owners on this list to be very helpfull. Now I have
run into some elitiste 'older' owners who were horrified that i'm
looking for a D to actually drive on a daily basis.  One guy even
told me he would not sell his car to someone like me because of that.
He didn't discourage me though because I'm still looking!

Does your D have a lot of problems? Are you having trouble fixing
things? I wouldn't give up yet just list the troubles you are having
and see if some of the experts on the list can help.

Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 16:19:04 -0000
From: "thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Re: Quick question

Unless you made any changes to the throttle spool, you might try a
few drops of 3 in 1 oil directly onto the spool.  I know a fellow
member who had that high ideling problem and the 3 in 1 solved it.

Johnny
5518

Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 12:43:58 -0400
From: Todd Nelson <tan5732_at_dml_rit.edu>
Subject: Re: Looking for a DMC (Andy)

Andy,

Thanks for the response.  It has been a while since I have driven the car,
about a month and a half, and even that was only for an hour or so.  But
I'll try to give you a better idea of what the car was like.

When I drove up I saw them quickly using Windex to clean the bird crap off
the hood, though this car has been garaged its entire life.  I was surprised
for a car that was used so infrequently that many of the interior components
failed to operate.  Such as the door locks, the battery (which I assume is
because of the locks), the blowers, A/C, possibly heat (didn't check),
passenger window goes up "sometimes", fuel gauge does not operate, gas has
been in tank for possibly over a decade, last inspection '92, many latches
don't work (glove box, hood, engine bay cover, etc.),  They have added a
radar detector, which doesn't work, using Velcro to the dash, which has kind
of destroyed it.  The body is in good shape with only one small ding on the
top of the drivers side door (doesn't bother me), all head-liners are
sagging, clearly needs weather seal work.

The owner says they try to at least fire up the engine twice a year to make
sure it still runs.  They cannot drive it any great length for reasons of
inspection, registration, etc.
One thing I did notice is when the owner attempted to shift into reverse
(5-speed trans.) the gears ground, made me a little nervous, however he did
eventually get it.  When I drove it the other gears seemed to shift OK,
never used reverse.

Also note, EVERYTHING is original down to the tires, I have heard of many
improvements / upgrades that are considered a necessity to use this car as a
daily driver, this car has not seen any of those.

Your response is greatly appreciated.

Todd

Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 11:21:48 -0500
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

I believe the seller is talking about the "living people" is the type
of people that own them since we all have two things in common (living
and liking the delorean car) with the car because WE ARE ALL DIFFERENT.
There is no such as a type of people that own a delorean except nice
people because that is all i have meet that own the car.

Maybe the seller likes mean people?

Mark V

Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 11:13:12 -0500
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Check for binding of the throttle lever on the passenger side of the
throttle body. If the air metering unit/throttle body got pushed up or down
as you were leaning over the motor and working on the plugs it could be
binding on one of the down tubes of the intake manifold. (They are close to
each other.) Also check if the cable has somehow come off of the spool and
gotten hung up somehow. It sounds like something has gotten snagged.

-Joe Kuchan