From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2211
Date: Saturday, September 04, 2004 4:43 AM

From: "Charlie" <charles_az1_at_dml_hotmail.com>

From: "John Rydholm" <ebondefender_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "John Rydholm" <ebondefender_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>

From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>

From: "Hank" <henry_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>

From: Todd Nelson <tan5732_at_dml_rit.edu>

From: "Payne" <bpayne_at_dml_macnet.com>

From: beatlesra1_at_dml_aol.com

11. Re: Headliner Materiel
From: Rod Dillman <rhdillman_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. Re: Quick question
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

13. Re: Once in a lifetime achievement
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

14. RE: Once in a lifetime achievement
From: "Jack Singer" <jsinger_at_dml_i-c.net>

15. Re: Re: Delorean, the dream is dead?
From: "Jason" <rowejj_at_dml_tds.net>

16. Re: Looking for a DMC
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>

17. Re: Re: Delorean, the dream is dead
From: Darryl Givens <mydmc5898_at_dml_yahoo.com>

18. Re: Looking for a DMC
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

19. Charcoal Cannister
From: "usndmc" <usndmc_at_dml_yahoo.com>

20. Nevermind on the cannister
From: "usndmc" <usndmc_at_dml_yahoo.com>

21. Re: Delorean, the dream is dead
From: "Dani B" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 17:18:42 -0000
From: "Charlie" <charles_az1_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Delorean, the dream is dead?

> - In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Me <fleetofworlds_at_dml_y...> wrote:
I have decided to sell my car, anyone want it?  Its standard 81 with
about 140,000 miles and lots of usual problems. The dream is dead for
me. I no longer see any
 value in these cars or being involved with the type of people who
own them.

Don't give up the dream! It's your dream! There are many DeLorean
Owners out there that can help.  I know many owners that aren't in
clubs or on this list and they are helpful too.  I hope your problems
get resolved.  Since you posted- What where you asking for your
car??  I currently don't own one.  Good Luck!

Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 18:25:09 -0000
From: "John Rydholm" <ebondefender_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: 140 mph speedometer question

Does anyone know of a good store/website to get the 140 mph mod for
the speedometer at a relatively fair price? And is it the whole
assembly or just the faceplate? I can probably have my cousin
calibrate it since we're related. Thanks! -John

Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 11:33:36 -0700 (PDT)
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Looking for a DMC

>>snip<<
<It will have about the same pickup and go as an automatic small car, say a Chevy

<Berretta or Honda Civic. ...both of which would most likely beat a Delorean.
>>snip<<

To complete this sentence add "in a drag race" at the end. Driving curvy roads a
D will blow the doors off these cars (Disclaimer: at least my 5-speed does... the
way I drive it... with the Grady/Koncelik lowering setup).

>>snip<<
<It gets good gas mileage but it has no balls.
<There will be no peeling out like the time machine in BTTF.
>>snip<<

KaHoNay size is all relative.
However you can easily peel out on wet pavement and/or taking a corner from a
dead stop on dry pavement.

>>snip<<
<Expect to be pulled over by the cops a lot, with lame excuses for why they
pulled you over.
<They usually won't give you a ticket, they just want to abuse their authority
and check out
<your car. Happens to me all the time.
>>snip<<

Or dont expect to be pulled over... TX cops may be different than in OH, PA, MI,
KY & IL. I've only been stopped once and that was for buzz'n a slow move'n Civic
on the right that wouldn't get over. I'm having a hard time justifying my warning
seeing that I used my blinkers & never went above the posted limit, oh well.

Shannon Y (Lead-foot Larry)
16506

  Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 13:16:14 -0500
   From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

http://promotions.yahoo.com/goldrush

Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 18:22:29 -0000
From: "John Rydholm" <ebondefender_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Once in a lifetime achievement

Well, I finally got myself a DeLorean. $9500 Pretty decent condition,
and only ~74K miles too! It's a manual. The only things that are
wrong with it are a couple dime-size dents and the passenger window
won't go down. I had a really crappy week with 2 funerals to go to,
one being a death in the family, trying to continue college while
juggling work, my dad being in bad health, and this was the only nice
thing that happened to me. The Lord works in mysterious ways lol!

Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 19:28:49 -0000
From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "William" <wbowie2003_at_dml_y...> wrote:
> run into some elitiste 'older' owners who were horrified that i'm
> looking for a D to actually drive on a daily basis.  One guy even
> told me he would not sell his car to someone like me because of that.

I don't understand this. What makes people feel this way? John
DeLorean built this car to be driven, not to sit around and collect
dust. I can understand someone not wanting to drive their own car -
that's their business - but refusing to sell it to you or otherwise
getting upset at people for driving the car daily? What sense does
that make?

Myself, I drive my DeLorean every single day. If someone doesn't like
that, well, too bad. It's my DeLorean and I'm going to enjoy it, not
keep it hidden away so my children can sell it at auction when I die.

Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 19:31:23 -0000
From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>
Subject: Re: Looking for a DMC (Andy)

Sounds like a project car to me, worth maybe $8,000-$10,000 to someone
who wants a cheap D and doesn't mind spending a lot of time fixing it up.

-Ryan

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Todd Nelson <tan5732_at_dml_r...> wrote:
> Andy,
>
> Thanks for the response.  It has been a while since I have driven
the car,
> about a month and a half, and even that was only for an hour or so.
 But
> I'll try to give you a better idea of what the car was like.

[moderator snip]

Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 16:11:14 -0400
From: "Hank" <henry_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Once in a lifetime achievement

Welcome to the Dream.

>The only things that are wrong with it are a couple
>dime-size dents and the passenger window won't go down.

Well, when I bought mine, all I thought it needed was a window motor and a rubber truck seal.  At least $12,000 later.... ;)

Don't get me wrong - my car *was* in good condition when I got it.  Only after having it a brief while did I realize just how many repairs it needed...  new clutch master and slave cylinders and SS lines, fuel pump, exhaust gaskets, drivers side torsion bar, water pump, brake master cylinder and SS brake lines, distributor.. and I could go on and on.   I'm WAY over the $20k rule, and I started with a great 16k miles/two owner car.  YMMV, of course!

-Hank  #1619

Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 16:13:53 -0400
From: Todd Nelson <tan5732_at_dml_rit.edu>
Subject: Re: Looking for a DMC (Ryan)

Ryan,

That was my estimation as well.  What do you think would need to be done to
it, given its age.

Thanks
Todd

Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 13:39:18 -0700
From: "Payne" <bpayne_at_dml_macnet.com>

I'm sorry to hear about the other things going on in your life, but I'm glad
you have something positive to enjoy. That sounds like a very good price. If
you got one that runs and looks decent for that kind of money I'd say you
found a damn good deal!

The window issue shouldn't be too big of a problem. I don't know too much
about that area but I've disassembled my passenger door panel more times
than I ever wanted to when I fixed my power window. You can contact me
off-list if you'd like. bpayne(at)macnet.com

Payne

> Well, I finally got myself a DeLorean. $9500 Pretty decent condition,
> and only ~74K miles too! It's a manual. The only things that are
> wrong with it are a couple dime-size dents and the passenger window
> won't go down. I had a really crappy week with 2 funerals to go to,
> one being a death in the family, trying to continue college while
> juggling work, my dad being in bad health, and this was the only nice
> thing that happened to me. The Lord works in mysterious ways lol!

---

Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 16:47:22 EDT
From: beatlesra1_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: Looking for a DMC

To follow up on Lead Foot Larry's post..

Or get pulled over by an over jealous Ohio State Patrolman for doing nothing
more than having dark window tint... Oh yeah you don't have a front license
plate sez he..Looks dumb on a DeLorean sez me..Wrote me a ticket for the tint
and then sez 'Howya like drivin that car?" I wanted to say go "Ffffff"  but just
muttered "See ya in court"

Btw How you ya doin Leadfoot Larry??? :-)

Chuck Darling
DCO
Vin # 6125

Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 13:53:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: Rod Dillman <rhdillman_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Headliner Materiel

David- I am glad you found the headliner material. I suggest that you attach it with 3M General Trim Adhesive-Clear Part No. 08088. It is made for auto carpets, headliners etc.
I have a factory origional DeLorean Workshop Manual with directions for replacing the headliner on page P:03:05. If you want a photo copy email me your mailing address off list and I will mail you one. It is only two pages.It may be on the net somewhere but I don't know where. Rod (rhdillman_at_dml_yahoo)
David Teitelbaum <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net> wrote:Does anyone on the list have a good source for the headliner materiel?
I am looking for materiel that would match the origional with the foam
backing. I know I can buy the headliners all done from the "D" venders
but I am trying to keep the costs down on this restoration. I don't
mind reusing the old backing and applying the headliner materiel myself.

Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 21:05:30 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Quick question

Can also happen if the plastic sheath gets pulled out of the adjusting
turnbuckle (same effect as screwing the turnbuckle back 1/2" or so).
Mine used to be bad for that. Will prevent the throttle plates from
closing all the way. Simply pop it back into the turnbuckle if that
indeed has happened.

Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 21:11:18 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

Actually, your odyssey is only just beginning... (trust me: it will be
a long and strange journey).

Contrast your exhuberence to Message #44733 -- Great DeLorean Circle
of Life.

What is your location?

Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 17:11:59 -0400
From: "Jack Singer" <jsinger_at_dml_i-c.net>

John,

It was a lifetime desire of mine to own a DeLorean.  There have been
good times and bad, but the more you learn about the car and how to do
your own repairs, it will get better and better.

Good luck and use the list, it is a great help.

The people you meet (in my opinion) that own DeLoreans are the nicest I
have met anywhere.

Kind Regards,

Jack Singer
20069, 10002

Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 16:23:49 -0500
From: "Jason" <rowejj_at_dml_tds.net>
Subject: Re: Re: Delorean, the dream is dead?

                I wouldn't give this guys email much thought. It's not
signed, no vin, no real info and his email name is "me". Sounds
like someone just trying to cause a little conflict or something. Everyone
has their opionon on Deloreans. If I get 140,000
miles out of my car I will be really happy and have nothing to complain
about. I have 39,000 on mine now and it has been the
most reliable car I've ever had. By the way, the feeling is mutual, if your
going to just bash owners and a 140,000 mile car
then I don't think we want to be involved with whatever your type of people
are. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't even really
have one.  Just my .02 cents.

                                                                Jason #5903

Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 22:06:32 -0000
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>

" What you want to avoid is an all original, stock car that has been
sitting it's whole life with no miles"

   Somehow I find this rather hard to believe, I purchased my car
with 89 miles on the clock and on top of being concourse worthy its
a dream to own and drive. Did I spend $$ to make it that way? yes
but not that much and having everything addressed from the beginning
is in my opinion the best way to go. Im sure that in 5 years time I
would have paid less to keep my car on the road than most others.
I would go as far as putting my car up against a DMCH anytime
The 20 thousand rule is on its way to becoming obsolete (maybe an
average good shape car)....you couldnt pry some cars from their
owners for 35 thousand certainly not mine.

Harry VIN #2696 "In all her glory I might add"

Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 15:20:46 -0700 (PDT)
From: Darryl Givens <mydmc5898_at_dml_yahoo.com>

So far the majority of people that I have ment (if you all know my story of the bad tranny) want to see my car on the road again. Most of the people that know me, know me as "Hey your the kid with the DeLorean." And they enjoy watching ride down the street, almost as much as I enjoy driving it. Only two people in the three years of having it said to me why would you drive such a nice car and put countless miles on it. My answer is how can you let something with so much beauty just sit covered and not enjoy for maybe once or more a year?

Darryl VIN 5898

Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2004 00:04:10 -0000
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I've bought both of my cars from similar situations. The 83 was from
a retired lawyer in Colorado who simply never drove it, just over
3,000 miles when I got it. But he was a no expenses spared guy. Had
a local volvo shop replace all fuel parts, injectors. Just some
minor going over & updating and the car is fine. More to come for
this car later down the road. Still lots of original stuff to change
over.

My 81 was from an owner so old, he was dead. I bought it off his
wife, she was too old to even sell it. Her neighbor who ran a Honda
dealership got it out to show me and send me information on it.
Again he never drove it, or did almost ANY work to it. Short of the
fuel distributor I've replaced the entire fuel system, cooling
system. Brake lines, and all electrical updates. No recalls were on
the car, had to do them myself. Just part of the fun of learning how
the car works. Now when something starts acting up, it isn't so bad.
Just as long as I can figure it out. Almost ANY 20+ year old car
will require some tweaking adjustment here & there. But I can't
speak for the refurbished cars.

Both cars aside from needing minor tweaks to awake from their 20
year sleep are in near perfect shape. So I kinda like buying the old
man garage cars. Just you have some work to do to them. And look it
over before you buy of course.

Good Luck,

Joe O'Brien

2524 & 16634

Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2004 00:20:18 -0000
From: "usndmc" <usndmc_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Charcoal Cannister

Hello all,

I tried removing the panel to access the charcoal cannister to
replace the vaccuum hoses and make sure the drain was clear. I
removed the bolts but can't get the panel to budge. I've only owned
the car about 6 months and there wasn't much work done on it before
I bought it (outside of the fuel system to get it running again), so
most of the stuff I mess with hasn't been touched in a long time,
perhaps 23 years. Is there something I'm missing here or do I just
need to hit the gym some more and knock the crap out of it until it
comes loose?

Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2004 00:37:46 -0000
From: "usndmc" <usndmc_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Nevermind on the cannister

Sorry to make you folks waste your time reading the last post and
this one. Sometimes lack of patience can be a virtue; right after I
posted the last message I decided to go rough-house it some more,
and after beating on it continuously with a hammer for about 6 or 7
straight minutes it started to come loose. Apparently it had been
sitting for so long that the seal had kind of glued it to the body
or something. Just reinforces my motto that every problem in life
can be solved by beating it with a hammer. Until next time... :-)

Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 23:57:48 -0000
From: "Dani B" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

*****  Moderator's Note  *****
This ends the thread.

*****  Mike G  Moderator of the Week  *****

I agree with you Ryan, I drive mine every day as well and love it. I
just can't see owning such an awsome car and just letting it sit. But
you're right, everyones got thier own way they do things. Nonetheless,
this persons post shouldn't create such a large explosion, we all
still have our cars, some here are still waiting for theirs, and we
all still enjoy them and helping out others here. I'm sure some of us
have endured much more criticism then the "those kind of people"
remark-let them say what they wish. If a few people have a problem
then oh well-whatever the reason is, they won't be posting here much
longer anyway right? -Dani b.