From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2216
Date: Tuesday, September 07, 2004 5:16 PM

1. Delorean in a video game?
From: "Robert Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

2. RE: Re: Ignition issue- RESOLVED (long)
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

3. RE: Hard starting (or no starting) issue resolved?
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

4. Re: Timing question:
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

5. RE: Almost there, but she won't start...
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

6. Re: Almost there, but she won't start...
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

7. Re: Ignition issue- RESOLVED (long)
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

8. RE: Re: Ignition issue- RESOLVED (long)
From: "Darkstarmedia" <darkstarmedia_at_dml_comcast.net>

9. Re: Re: Ignition issue- RESOLVED (long)
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

10. Royal Purple Oil
From: "EJ Chambers" <marmieej_at_dml_yahoo.com>

11. Re: Delorean in a video game?
From: "usndmc" <usndmc_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. Re: Delorean in a video game?
From: "James" <deloreandmcxii_at_dml_excite.com>

13. Royal Purple Oil Review
From: "Cecil Longwisch" <dmc1982_at_dml_msn.com>

14. Shock and Spring Replacment........ Any Advice?
From: "Mike" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>

15. Keys
From: "trekkerlb" <TrekkerLB_at_dml_Netzero.Com>

16. Re: Delorean in a video game?
From: "Payne" <bpayne_at_dml_macnet.com>

17. Oil Filter Question (With URL)
From: Todd Nelson <tan5732_at_dml_rit.edu>

18. Re: Delorean in a video game?
From: Darryl Givens <mydmc5898_at_dml_yahoo.com>

19. Re: Re: Ignition issue- RESOLVED (long)
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

20. Re: Royal Purple Oil
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

21. Re: Delorean in a video game?
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

22. RE: Re: Delorean in a video game?
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

23. Cargo Net Elastic
From: "EJ Chambers" <marmieej_at_dml_yahoo.com>

24. Re: Royal Purple Oil Review
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

25. Re: Keys
From: "thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_cox.net>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2004 03:56:52 -0000
From: "Robert Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Delorean in a video game?

I remember someone saying before that in one of the recent video games
out there, a driving game, that one of the cars you can choose is a
Delorean.
Does anyone know what game this is?
I got an XBOX, and it is awesome!
I would love it if they made a BTTF game!

Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 23:51:47 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Ignition issue- RESOLVED (long)

Freddie, How about a $6.95 Bosch or Mann which meets the Delorean
specifications and will fit with out hitting the sending unit.

Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 00:00:31 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Hard starting (or no starting) issue resolved?

Dan, You enriched the mixture screw so when you start the car the control
plunger in the distributor rises higher to feed the injectors. Re adjust
when hot to take out the swing in iidle if any and your set.

Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2004 05:16:48 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Timing question:

It isn't that simple. There can be long-term consequences. The most
immediate ones are fuel economy, emmisions, and power. You can burn
valves, overheat the motor when under high loads, blow out pistons,
damage the starter, etc. The ONLY correct setting is the stock
specifacation. If you insist on playing around with the timing you
don't have the equipment and expertise that can compare with the
manufacturer. There is little to be gained by affecting only 1
adjustment. At the very least you need a timing light! No
self-respecting mechanic would adjust the timing without one, you have
no idea what you did without it.

Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 23:56:43 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Almost there, but she won't start...

Matt, If the battery is at a full charge and from what your saying, the
solenoid inside is shot. Contacts are burned up. I have some picture in the
web site showing what  happens.
John Hervey
http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/images/starter-solenoid-bad.jpg

Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2004 05:21:51 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Replace the starter solenoid. By monkeying around with the wrench you
may have shorted the power to the ballast resistor bypass circuit and
blown the wiring to the coil or the coil itself. You may have also
taken out the ECU. After you get the starter going again you have to
see if you still get a spark. BTW to powder coat parts don't you have
to really heat them up? You may have melted the insides. You may have
the prettiest starter that won't work!

Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2004 05:28:05 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Ignition issue- RESOLVED (long)

A while back James Espey (of DMC Houston) had them cut open a Perflux
and another brand. The insides were quite different. The pictures may
still be up somewhere, contact James and he can tell you. Anyway you
have a nice, expensive car and you want to cheap out on one of the
most important things that can insure the motor's longevity? By 2 so
you already have one for the next oil change. They also come with the
copper seal for the drainplug! My point in mentioning the oil filter
is that it is easy to see and is a dead give-away of the type of
service the owner gives his Delorean. An owner that cares won't mind
spending a little more for a quality part and patronizing his favorite
vender.

Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 22:36:02 -0700
From: "Darkstarmedia" <darkstarmedia_at_dml_comcast.net>

I am a big fan of the fram filter and have been using them on all my cars
for years.  I have not had a single problem that was the fault of the
filter. on the delorean I use a TG2870a and have had no problems or a single
leak.  I change my filter and oil every 2500 to 3000 miles and it has
performed flawlessly.  people have noted the differences between the two
(the perflux has more paper element) and with proper maintaince the fram
does just as well as any other.  I have not followed this thread really
closely but I thought I'd chime in on this particular subject cause I am in
the parts business.

With that said most of the major parts I buy for my delorean are from the
various vendors because of the info they provide and a lot of the prices are
within 5 to 10 percent of retail when not equal or cheaper.  saves me time
sometime when I need it now.

Darkstar

Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 08:12:37 EDT
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

In a message dated 9/6/04 11:10:27 PM Central Daylight Time,
FREDRAVAS_at_dml_aol.com writes:

> hi dave... what the difference between a four dollars fram filter and
> twelve
> dollars perflux filter just curious,
>
> freddie  vin 6048

The difference is Fram does not make a filter that is exactly for the
DeLorean application due to the side-mount design.  I work in the industry and talked
to a FRAM application technician and this is FACT.  if the filter were
mounted upside down (hanging down) it would be ok. the main difference is in the
anti-drain back valve design (or lack of).

Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2004 13:17:17 -0000
From: "EJ Chambers" <marmieej_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Royal Purple Oil

Has anyone had any experience using Royal Purple oil in their
DeLorean? I have a friend that uses it in all his old muscle cars and
swears by it.

Thanks!
Ej

Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2004 13:48:22 -0000
From: "usndmc" <usndmc_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Delorean in a video game?

VB -

Bust out an old school 8-bit Nintendo, there's a BTTF game for
that! :-)

Dave

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Robert Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_h...>

Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2004 14:50:25 -0000
From: "James" <deloreandmcxii_at_dml_excite.com>

Wreckless, which I think was just for Xbox, and Grand Theft Auto:
Vice City both feature DeLorean rip-offs.
GTA:VC is by far the better game... if you like lots of killing and
violence, and don't mind wrecking a "DeLuxo."

James LaLonde
4009

Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2004 10:17:48 -0400
From: "Cecil Longwisch" <dmc1982_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Royal Purple Oil Review

There was one of the gear head shows this weekend that actually did a "test"
on the royal purple product claims.

They did a baseline run on a dyno and then replaced ALL the fluids including
the engine, transmission, and rear end with the royal products.

They did see some horsepower improvement. I thing it was around 7HP on a 300
horsepower engine. And it is not cheap!

The product appears to increase horsepower but the question for me would be
the long term wear properties on the engine. Drag racers tear down there
engines after several runs anyway so any horsepower gain they will gladly
take.
Not sure it is worth the risk on our long term investments.

Cecil Longwisch

#10663

Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2004 14:44:18 -0000
From: "Mike" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>
Subject: Shock and Spring Replacment........ Any Advice?

Hi All

Next task on my D is to replace my ageing shock and spring set
up...whilst i know that there are various set ups out there...i was
wondering if anyone had a new set up on their d which they would or
not recommend?...   seems to be a big variance on cost / set up now
adays!.

I have a supplier that supplies new front 'properly lowered' springs
and wwas thinking of using these with the standard springs on the
rear?.....

Any advice greatly appreciated :)

doc403
hull, uk

Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2004 15:44:12 -0000
From: "trekkerlb" <TrekkerLB_at_dml_Netzero.Com>
Subject: Keys

To my dismay and loss of memory I've misplaced my only set of keys.
I tried looking in the archive but could not find any info - though I
vaguely remember some talk about keys.

Does anyone know if I could get a new set cut?  Is there some cross
reference to VIN or some other number which will help me - I would
hate having someone come in and replace all the locks.

Thanks for the help!

Luis & 372

Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 09:23:04 -0700
From: "Payne" <bpayne_at_dml_macnet.com>

Videobob,
The game you heard about was Gran Turismo 4. It is going to be released this
November for the Playstation 2 and features the DeLorean among about 500
other cars. I can't wait to tune a DeLorean into a track-devouring monster,
they let you upgrade anything.

There is also an arcade racer for the Xbox, Gamecube, and PS2 called
"Wreckless: The Yakuza Missions" that features a car with extremely
DeLorean-like features. Of course it has large jet engines on the back and a
sleeker front, but you can tell what they were inspired by. It's decent fun
and a used copy can be picked up fairly cheap.

Payne

> I remember someone saying before that in one of the recent video games
> out there, a driving game, that one of the cars you can choose is a
> Delorean.
> Does anyone know what game this is?
> I got an XBOX, and it is awesome!
> I would love it if they made a BTTF game!
> - VB

---

Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2004 10:24:17 -0400
From: Todd Nelson <tan5732_at_dml_rit.edu>
Subject: Oil Filter Question (With URL)

Sorry

I for some reason forgot to add the URL to the last email.

http://www.dmcnews.com/Techsection/oil_filters.htm

Todd

Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 10:28:58 -0700 (PDT)
From: Darryl Givens <mydmc5898_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Grand Turismo 4, it has an 81 DMC in it. I think it comes out in a month or so. On a demo disk you see the car they used to model the computer one. I bought just about every game or that has a DeLorean in it.... most of them are just worth having for the car.

Darryl

Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 13:47:20 EDT
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

In a message dated 9/7/04 8:35:31 AM Central Daylight Time, Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
writes:

> The difference is Fram does not make a filter that is exactly for the
> DeLorean application due to the side-mount design.  I work in the industry
> and talked
> to a FRAM application technician and this is FACT.  if the filter were
> mounted upside down (hanging down) it would be ok. the main difference is in
> the
> anti-drain back valve design (or lack of).
>
> Andy

As an update to my above post, today I called the specialist again and he
told me that the PH7328 Fram filter is the closest match they have.  it DOES have
an anti drainback valve.  The information is contrary to what i posted
earlier today.  This filter MAY work but then again, there may be gasket or
clearance problems.  the flow rate or other internal valves could differ from the
Purflux application.  besides - i find it hard to believe that anyone could need
an oil filter RIGHT NOW rather than wait 3 days for the perfect one, at a
slightly higher cost.

Darkstar - the 2870A filter is NOT an approved filter for the DeLorean,
coming from this Fram representative.  i didn't ask why not but he said he would
not recommend it even though it fits. if you would like more information i can
call him back.  i do know that that filter is used on a wide variety of VW and
Audi vehicles dating back to maybe three decades and is still in use today.

Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 13:58:08 EDT
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Royal Purple Oil

marmieej_at_dml_yahoo.com writes:

> Has anyone had any experience using Royal Purple oil in their
> DeLorean? I have a friend that uses it in all his old muscle cars and
> swears by it.
>
> Thanks!
> Ej

Ej,

On a Lexus users group i ran across a study of different motor oils under
different tests, supposedly by an independant company.  Royal Purple scored
marginally better than the average conventional dino-oil.  mobil 1 came in second
overall, with Amsoil coming in 1st but not much better than Mobil 1. apparently
Amsoil was still pretty good after 10,000 miles.  certain parts of Mobil 1
were breaking down at 4000, while your usual valvoline and quaker state were
breaking down after 10 minutes in certain situations.  the general consensus was
Royal Purple is about as good a name-brand semi-synthetic.  if i find the site
i will post it.

Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2004 18:31:43 -0000
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

( I think the 'Video Game/DeLorean' subject has been covered more than enough so I'm killing the subject for now:  Moderator )

Bob,

 I know there is a Delorean in Resident Evil 3, but it gets blown
up, nice detail though.

There is a Delorean in a mod of Battlefield 1942 called Interstate
82, hence a mod for 80's era cars. It has guns on the roof &
nitrous, & the wide side stripe.

There was also a Universal Studios game, but I've never seen it.

There is a Delorean in Midtown Madness 2, rough, but believed to be
a mod.

In Grand Theft Auto - Vice City there is the Deluxo, which is a
delorean, with the appearance slightly changed. They do this to all
the cars to avoid lawsuits. You get the Deluxo after you complete
all the missions to steal certain cars under the car dealership.

Also if you really want to have fun, get Vice City for the PC. With
just a little effort you can mod the game to your tastes. I have
replaced the deluxo with a full featured Delorean complete with
functional gullwing doors & engine covers & hood. Also I have modded
another similar vehicle to be the BTTF part II Delorean hovering
about 3 feet off the ground. With full detail on the time machine,
plus all the doors & hood working as well. Engine cover isn't
available cause of the time machine components. Both are fully
operational with the hover Delorean that can float OVER cars. Both
models have full damage modeling and realistic stainless to them as
well.

And to add one more to the geek factor, I also modded one of the
helicopters on the mansion to be the BTTF II Delorean but with
flying abilities of a helicopter. Now I can fly up over the city in
it, and not just 3 feet off the road. I modified the sound effects
to have the appropriate movie sounds.

That way I can still drive a Delorean in February up in Ohio. :-)

I can't really recall any other video games with a Delorean, or
close to it in them, besides the BTTF games of the 80's. The mods in
Vice City make the best ones yet though. I have been half tempted to
put up screenshots to show off my work.

If anyone knows of anything else, feel free...

Happy Gaming,

Joe OBrien

2524 & 16634

Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2004 13:47:50 -0500
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Delorean in a video game?

Actuallly, I own all of those games in my collection, but I deon't have a
Nintendo!
I even have an old BTTF game for the AtariST !!!!
How about that!
- VB

Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2004 19:04:27 -0000
From: "EJ Chambers" <marmieej_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Cargo Net Elastic

Does anyone know a good replacement for the elastic band used in the
cargo net? My net is in good condition, but the elastic has about had it.

Thanks in advance!!

Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2004 20:45:35 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: Royal Purple Oil Review

I saw the same gear head show this weekend that Cecil is referring
to on the Speed Channel (I think it was Dream Garage).  They did
replace ALL the fluids that Cecil mentioned and also replaced the
coolant with the royal purple product mixed with water and coolant.

Horsepower gain over the baseline was 8HP (up from 302HP to 310HP)
and they did mention that all the fluids together was about $100.

I do not recall if they said that they would be leaving the fluids
in for long term testing, but if you are looking to squeeze a few
more HP out of your PRV, this may be an option for some folks.
The long term wear properties were not discussed on the show.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Cecil Longwisch" <dmc1982_at_dml_m...>

Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2004 20:44:11 -0000
From: "thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Re: Keys

Sometimes you can find the key code written under one of the headliners.

Johnny
5518