From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2220
Date: Saturday, September 11, 2004 3:44 AM

1. CHICAGO Tech Session,
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

2. Re: Coolant leak under manifold ... but where?
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com

3. Re: Coolant leak under manifold ... but where?
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

4. RE: Coolant leak under manifold ... but where?
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

5. Re: Vendors workshop manuals
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

6. RE: Re: Vendors workshop manuals
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

7. Re: Other Workshop Manuals
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

8. Re: Coolant leak under manifold ... but where?
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>

9. RE: Coolant leak under manifold ... but where?
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

10. RE: Re: Looking for a DMC (Ryan)
From: "Wizard" <wizard_at_dml_tdgllc.com>

11. Workshop Manual
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com

12. RE: Coolant leak under manifold ... but where?
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

13. Motor Tick (was Looking for a DMC (Ryan))
From: Mike Substelny <msubstel_at_dml_lorainccc.edu>

14. DMC (Texas) Workshop (and other) manuals
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

15. Need help with photo of Coil Cover - Please
From: Steve Stankiewicz <protodelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

16. RE: DMC (Texas) Workshop (and other) manuals
From: "Darkstarmedia" <darkstarmedia_at_dml_comcast.net>

17. What the hell is going on here...my shift cable MELTED?
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

18. PIGEON FORGE VIDEOS ARE HERE!!!!!!
From: "Robert Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

19. RE: Dye Tapping the timing Cover....Help :)
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 03:11:09 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: CHICAGO Tech Session,

And if you can't make it to Ohio, there's the Midwest Club session.
It's at Riverside-Brookfield High School on Saturday. Contact Dave
Swingle or Rich Weissensel for details. We have about 10 cars signed
up for everything from clutch hydraulics to door adjustments. It's a
club event but visitors/guests are always welcome.

Also in Chicago area this weekend - the British Car Union show at
Moraine Valley Community College on Sunday. Details at
http://www.britishcarunion.com/ Many of us will be there.

Dave Swingle
swingle(at)dmcnews.com

Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 03:37:06 -0000
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com
Subject: Re: Coolant leak under manifold ... but where?

Nick - You need to check all around the hoses ... one of mine
developed an aneurism right at the bottom where you couldn't really
see it or feel it very well.  Also, the small pipe has been known to
develop pinhole leaks from corrosion so the rust might have blown
through someplace.  Lastly, I worked on a local car that had a
chronic coolant loss that had eventually led the owner to throw the
car in a barn.  After we rescued it, we found out that one of the
attachment bolts for the Y pipe to the right head had corroded
through, but the bolt head was still sitting there.  The leak was
from that joint.  Things are not always as they seem to be.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com

Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 03:52:25 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

You'll need a cooling system pressure tester. Every auto parts store
has them available thru a rental tool program of some type. You buy
it, keep it for as long as you need, and then return it. That's how
they work it.

Pop the radiator cap, hook up the tester, and pump up the pressure in
the system. If there are any leaks, you'll find them as they spray
water out. Aside from slightly leaking hoses, I had a bad O-ring on
the Y-pipe. No, I couldn't tell it from the outside, but once I
removed the pipe, I could see where the coolant was seeping out.

Keep the pressure tester, because you will need it. Once you've got
the cooling system hooked back up, pressurize it again, and make sure
that there are no leaks. I found that I had to apply sealant to the
flange gaskets.

Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 00:08:47 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Nick, Remember, That when the coolant heats up it's under 15lb's of pressure
and then coolant will find a place to leak out since it's thinner than
water. Also there are 2 O rings under the internal Y pipe. Coolant will also
leak at times around the connections on the side of the water pump,the large
hoses since the openings aren't round but oval. You can see that on the web
site.

Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 01:14:40 EDT
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Vendors workshop manuals

In a message dated 9/9/2004 9:30:12 AM Eastern Standard Time,
yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com writes:
Are the vendor's workshop manuals as bad as mine? Mine looks
photocopied, and is in a huge three ring binder. Pictures are almost
impossible to see (they look like large black blobs), page numbers are
hard to read and I can't find a decent table of contents. So it's
almost impossible for me to find anything.

Hello Ryan-
Sounds like a homemade photocopy, as you said. The vendor repros are clearer
but I find that quality varies a bit, plus there are still some pale, hard to
read areas. Not always the vendors fault. A lot of the originals are pale too,
like part of the wiring diagram.  I've never seen a fully readable original
yet... or one for the '82-83 configuration. The Service Bulletin repros vary a
bit on what they include. As someone already said, these manuals are not
terribly owner friendly, having been designed for dealer tech use only.  Nobody has
taken it upon themselves to do any editing or updating of the manuals, and
some errors do exist.  I've been griping about this, and wanting to do it for
years but never got past collecting all the original manuals. That's why you
should use use the manuals for general information, but confirm and get specific
info from the vendor you get your parts from.

Wayne A. Ernst

Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 00:27:17 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Vendors workshop manuals

The original Delorean workshop manual P/N 113096 are all line drawing type
pictures and have none of the pictures your talking about. That's what I
sell. But, I do have some books with shots of the engine that were photos
and the book was made up by I think DeLorean Motor Center in California.
There are no letters in front of the sections and I don't think they were
issued by Delorean?????

Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 05:21:25 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Other Workshop Manuals

For systems unique to the car you're going to have to use DMC
literature from some source. Sorry.

For the engine, best bet is Volvo factory literature. B27 rebuild
manual (dark green cover with "Volvo" logo, not light green with
"gears" logo) is illustrated with honest to goodness photographs.
Shows engine disassembly all the way to a bare block and back out. B28
rebuild manuals are broken down into smaller volumes, illustrated with
line drawings similar to the DeLo Workshop Manual (although some are
color). Both are much more comprehensive than Section C of the DeLo
manual.

I highly recommend Volvo's "Group 23" CI manual. 120 plus pages.
Covers every permutation of K Jetronic they ever used.

Volvo puts out a nearly 200 page "Group 20-27, Excluding Group 23"
manual (each engine system is a "Group" -- Group 22: Lubricating
System, Group 26: Cooling System, etc). Broad overview of every
B27A-F/B28A-F from 1975 up to date of publication (mine is 1983).

Lambda is part of Group 25 (Intake/Exhaust System). Get 1980 or later
publication dates if you need it. I've seen on eBay Volvo manuals that
cover Lambda only (I've even seen one labeled "O2 Sensor", although
it's hard to imagine a manual so devoted).

Renault factory literature (blue covers) is far below Volvo standards.
Thin and much less comprehensive, with sparse illustrations. Type face
looks like a typewriter. English translation is not 100%. They do
however make manuals that cover our transmissions exclusively.

Note that Volvo and Renault factory literature is European sized 8x12,
with different spaced holes. Will not fit into one of our 3 ring binders.

Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 09:10:34 +0200 (MEST)
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>

Take a look at the 4 M7 bolts that hold the Y-pipe in place.
Those bolts are directly in contact with the coolant. If the
thread does not seal properly, coolant will come out of those
threads. You have to use speacial thread sealant stuff that
can manage the heat and water.

Been there lately....

Elvis & 6548

> I have a coolant leak under the intake manifold.  I've pulled the manifold
> out but the leak is not obvious.
> The following are still installed so I may have missed something:
> - The 2 rubber hoses seem OK
> - The "Y" pipe is in fine shape
> - The straight pipe shows some rust but nothing obvious
>
> Does anyone have any words of wisdom that may focus me in the right
> direction?
>
> Thanks,  ... still trying to get it running for Sunday's get together:-(
>
> Nick

NEU: Bis zu 10 GB Speicher für e-mails & Dateien!
1 GB bereits bei GMX FreeMail http://www.gmx.net/de/go/mail

Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 07:53:20 -0500
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Yeah. Dry the area of coolant.  Get a cooling system pressure tester and
pump up your system to 15 pounds and then you'll see the leak right before
your eyes!  :)

-Joe Kuchan

Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 09:17:27 -0400
From: "Wizard" <wizard_at_dml_tdgllc.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Looking for a DMC (Ryan)

Ryan:

I missed your previous e-mails.  I may be selling my 81 Delorean if I an
successful at purchasing another one next week.  The reason I am selling
it is because someone painted it red.  If runs o.k., has a loud tick,
probably the rods.  It has had quite a bit of work done to it and I was
going to used another one I have that is smashed as a donor car.  Plus I
have an extra engine and block that I will sell with the red one.
Besides being red and the motor tick, the trans seems fine, new brakes,
etc.  Let me know if you are interested and I will keep you on my list.
Like I said, if I do not get this other car, which does not run and
needs an entire engine, then I will probably not sell.

Jason

P.S. -- I have more history on the car as well that I can give you

P.S.S. -- Depending on how much I spend on the other DeLorean, I would
probably want around $6000 obo.

P.S.S.S. -- Check out http://www.sk1pper.com/paint_removal.htm  (not a
typo, it is a "1")

Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 10:07:47 EDT
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Workshop Manual

I bought mine from Rob Grady and it is great.

I also like the Zilla schematic as you can print it out any size you want.

I have one about five feet wide taped to the inside of my garage door right
behind the car.

Dave and 6530

Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 09:44:19 -0500
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

I can vouch for this, I just had to replace ALL of the hoses and connectors
that was part of my heater hoses system, it is easier to replace the whole
nest of them in one piece that to try to
do them one by one.

Sometimes you can develop a tiny crack that has a pinhole, and under
pressure the fluid can squirt
several feet away and pool up somewhere else.

I once had a bad oil leak in an old Pontiac GrandAM of mine, one side of the
engine and tranny was covered in oil, sopping wet. I showed it to a mechanic
who told me that it was the main seal
and that I would have to spend over $1000 to fix it.
So, I let it leak. I would just put a quart of oil in it everyday.
I never bothered to changed the oil filter or the oil because hell, it
always had fresh oil in it! Right?
One day when the car was running, I dropped a tool and it of course ran all
the way to the center
of under the car. While crawling under there to get it I noticed that there
was a tiny little stream
of oil squirting from a pinhole on the side of the oil filter onto the top
of the transmission.
HOLY CRAP! For the last few months I had been wasting money and oil on a car
I thought was
doomed and all it needed was a friggin $3 oil filter!!!!!
I changed the filter and it never leaked a drop.

Something similar could be your problem, and you will want to change all of
your hoses in one shot.
You can get a pre-assembled kit from John Hervey.
You first have to heat up your engine and poke your head in there and see if
you can spot the leak.
Once you determine that it is your heater hoses, you need to change them.
...and if they have never been changed, then you need to anyway.

There is only one way to do it.
First off all you need a set of skinny hands.
I had to get my brother to help because my bear paws would'nt fit in there.
You have to remove your louvers and your deck lid.
Then I put a blanket over the engine and both sides of the pontoon,
then I cut a piece of plywood so that it fit directly over top the engine
and pontoon.
This way you can climb up on top with your knees and reach down behind the
engine.
The hardest part is getting a little stubby screwdriver down there and
getting the hose clamp loose.
The other end runs down into the frame under a cover.

The only other way is to remove the who intake, and really that is not much
better because
the hose connection to the engine is underneath the distributor and you
can't take that off,
so you might as well do it the way I suggested.

Been there, done that.
- Videobob
VIN#5278

Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 11:26:11 -0400
From: Mike Substelny <msubstel_at_dml_lorainccc.edu>
Subject: Motor Tick (was Looking for a DMC (Ryan))

When I first heard a motor tick from my DeLorean I thought it was a rod
problem, too.  It turned out to be just a leaky exhaust manifold
gasket.  Replacing them is not easy, but the job is much cheaper than
the engine rebuild I thought I needed.

The exhaust manifold gasket is a pretty common failure point in
DeLoreans, and to this day I am amazed at the awful sound made by any
DeLorean afflicted with this problem.  It really does sound like moving
engine parts smashing into each other in ways never intended by PRV.
You'd think the engine was tearing itself apart.

I might be wrong, but if I am right this DeLorean can be purring like a
kitten for $30 in parts and one day of hard work.

- Mike Substelny
VIN 1280, 10 wonderful years

Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 15:38:59 -0500
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: DMC (Texas) Workshop (and other) manuals

The quality of the manuals available for the DeLorean has long been
something I have noticed and bothered about. I was the one, who back in the
early days of the DML, recreated the parts manual in PDF format that is
available for download at the DMC-News website.

Just in the last month or two, we've completely revised the parts manual,
with changes on nearly every page ranging from correcting illustrations to
correcting/adding/deleting part numbers and descriptions. We've also
indicated which parts are sold that are replacement (not NOS). This was a
massive undertaking and as we run across something or another that needs
changing we have the files in an editable digital format so the changes are
easy to make.

Right now, we're in the process of doing final edits on the Workshop Manual,
as well. As a basis, we've used the final printed "master" copy from the
inventory of DeLorean parts that came from DMC Irvine/Kapac. We're
correcting a number of things in the "Electrical" and "Heating and Air
Conditioning" sections, as well as trying to determine how to best correct
the illustrations in the "Transmission" sections (any Technical Artist on
the list want to trade out for some DeLorean parts?). We'll also be adding
all of our illustrated installation guides for parts like the window motors,
fuel pump kits, luggage racks, stripe kits, power antennas, etc. This new
version will be available in the next couple of weeks.

We're also updating the service bulletins to include several service
bulletins which were never released by the factory. Some of these answer a
lot of questions about why some things are the way they are. Ours are now
reproduced from originals also acquired with the parts purchase.

All of the above manuals are sold with screen printed, high quality
three-ring binders. Over the years we've found that they work best for
manuals of this size, and they certainly look nice on a shelf in your
garage.

The "Technical Information Manual" was given to the service techs as a
"primer" to the DeLorean systems and is a good guide for getting started.
Again, reproduced from a new, original copy. This one is in a spiral comb
type of binding.

There were two different Owners Handbooks used by the factory. The one that
we sell is a reproduction of the one sold with the 1982 and 1983 models. It
is "saddle stapled" on the left edge, and uses line art drawings for the
illlustrations. The 1981 models had a version that was spiral-bound along
the top edge and used photographs for the illustrations. I'm not aware of
anyone reproducing this one, primarily for this reason.

Finally, we do all of our duplication in-house which allows us to make sure
that each copy is made is to the most current revision level.

The manual offerings and some other items can all be found here:

http://www.usadmc.com/dmcstore/ViewDir.asp?PageID=111&PageCat=9%2DAccessorie

James

------------------------------------
DeLorean Motor Company
Vice President
james_at_dml_delorean.com
15023 Eddie Drive
Humble, Texas 77396 USA
tel: 800/872-3621
tel2:281/441-2537
fax: 281/441-2813

Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 15:29:45 -0700 (PDT)
From: Steve Stankiewicz <protodelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Need help with photo of Coil Cover - Please

Anybody have a picture that shows the bottom of the
Coil Cover (110227)  I'm trying to repair mine which
the previous owner cut nearly the entire bottom out
of.  It's a simple part so if I knew what it was
supposed to look like I'm sure I could fabricate it.
Much thanks in advance!!!

http://shopping.yahoo.com/backtoschool

Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 17:26:43 -0700
From: "Darkstarmedia" <darkstarmedia_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: RE: DMC (Texas) Workshop (and other) manuals

will there be any notes in the manual indicating what was original and what
was changed??

Darkstar

Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 01:35:22 -0000
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>
Subject: What the hell is going on here...my shift cable MELTED?

Yes, that's right folks.  Remember the other day I was talking about
all that smoke I saw when I was trying to start my car with a
wrench?  It turns out that it was the shift cable melting.  I found
this out when I tried to wiggle the shift lever and it wouldn't
budge.  So, I take a look underneath my car, and the black part of
the manual transmission shift cable is all bubbled up and melted.
What the HELL just happened here?????  BTW, I'm still trying to
remove the shift cable, as it's not coming out easily.

Matt
#1604 - the cursed car

Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 01:41:18 -0000
From: "Robert Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: PIGEON FORGE VIDEOS ARE HERE!!!!!!

Ok guys, after months of work I am about done with the PIGEON FORGE
SHOW videos. I shot 12 hours of tape at the show and have edited it
down to a little over 4 hours onto 2 DVD's.
It took me months on my spare time and over 40 hours to do it.
I didn't want to leave any of the good stuff out so I crammed in as
much as I could.

I am going to be taking PRE-ORDERS for the DVD's while I am waiting to
get all the covers and packaging done.
They will be shipping very soon, maybe by the end of this week.
This will look like a DVD you would buy in a store.
They will have a full color sleeve in a two-disc box,
and thermal printed discs.....
...my point is, they will be high quality!

The price?
Only $19.99 with FREE SHIPPING!
If you pre-order your disc before they are officially released
you will be getting a FREE gift. (it's a secret but you will like it!)
To make it fun, the gifts will start off really good, and then dwindel
down to cheaper stuff. These are Delorean and BTTF related items,
so don't doddle! First come first served!

All the details about who and what is on the discs is on the webpage.
Go there for details.
You will need PAYPAL to order them online, I will soon set up a
"order-by-mail" page for you old-timers out there!

All you have to do is go to my website,
http://dfwdmc.com and click on STORE and the DVD VIDEOS
and you will find it at the top of the list.

The video's are really awesome and I will give everyone some
downloadable teasers soon.....

Thanks to everyone who participated in the video and I hope you
are happy with them.
These will be treasured for a long time I am sure!
For those of you who MISSED the show, you GOTTA get these so you
can find out why "Doc Brown doesnt drive a F#$%ing Mustang!"

- Videobob
VIN#5278
http://dfwdmc.com/

Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 21:02:44 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Dye Tapping the timing Cover....Help :)

Mike, I have re threaded many holes but I have never drilled one out and
retapped it to a larger size. Did you try putting a small piece of metal in
the hole like a paper match and then re insert the 7mm screw. That would
tighten it enough to hold most likely. I have even used tin foil. If you
need to retap. Then practice with a piece of wood.